Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Delay of Game - Hand Pass

Posted by jkahn 
Delay of Game - Hand Pass
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:09PM

Can anyone clarify the rule and the call on the last penalty in the championship game? I've looked at the rulebook and it seems to say that you can bat the puck 1) in the defensive zone or 2) if you are the first to play it yourself. But, I couldn't find where it was a penalty if it were batted to a teammate. I thought that a hand-pass was just a face-off. It says there is a penalty for "throwing" the puck, but that's clearly a different choice of wording than "batting." If a Denver player didn't play the puck, would play have continued? If so, it seems extremely severe that it should be a penalty rather than a face-off. Is this one of those few rules that change in the last two minutes? Any clues?

Re: Delay of Game - Hand Pass
Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:12PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

Can anyone clarify the rule and the call on the last penalty in the championship game? I've looked at the rulebook and it seems to say that you can bat the puck 1) in the defensive zone or 2) if you are the first to play it yourself. But, I couldn't find where it was a penalty if it were batted to a teammate. I thought that a hand-pass was just a face-off. It says there is a penalty for "throwing" the puck, but that's clearly a different choice of wording than "batting." If a Denver player didn't play the puck, would play have continued? If so, it seems extremely severe that it should be a penalty rather than a face-off. Is this one of those few rules that change in the last two minutes? Any clues?[/q]
You cannot close your hand on the puck ... ever, this is always a penalty. From the replays I saw (in a bar with no sound) the correct call was made b/c the Denver player appeared to close his hand as he "threw" the puck out of the zone.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2004 07:15PM by ben03.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 12, 2004 07:13PM

I thought the announcers said something about "closing his hand" on the puck.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 09:03PM

The rink announcer just said delay of game (well, actually, "a-delay of game";), but he pretty clearly threw the puck, not batted it.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: April 12, 2004 10:11PM

That call prompted a "TIM KO-TY-RA" chant. :-D

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 13, 2004 07:14AM

There almost appeared to be two motions - grabbing / grasping / enclosing the puck with the glove and then throwing, not merely batting, the puck. It was not a smart move - from my point of view sitting on a sofa with a beer in my hand, not actually being the player out on the ice - and so obvious it would have been hard not to call.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2004 09:20AM

The actual penalty is delay of game, which can be called for a variety of reasons, including closing your hand around the puck. You see players reach up and grab the puck out of mid-air pretty blatantly all the time, but they always drop it in front of them, then play it with their stick. I think if he did that, nothing would have been called. Well, made things interesting anyway.

Posted by: pat (---.er.usgs.gov)
Date: April 13, 2004 09:33AM

It's under Section 19(a), Handling the Puck:

If the puck is caught and dropped immediately, play shall continue. If
the puck is carried or held, play shall be stopped. If the puck is thrown, a
minor penalty shall be assessed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2004 09:33AM by pat.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: April 13, 2004 11:03AM

I know you can't close your hand on the puck, but the whistle didn't seem to blow until the other Denver player played the puck. I was just wondering whether Kotyra ruled that it was a "closed hand" or "thrown puck" or something else, and whether he would've called it if Denver didn't play the puck. There was a similar hand pass earlier in the game that seemed like more of a grab to me but wasn't called - that one was played by the other team however. Of course, I was way at the top of the balcony, so I didn't have the closest view.

Posted by: pat (---.er.usgs.gov)
Date: April 13, 2004 01:08PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

I know you can't close your hand on the puck, but the whistle didn't seem to blow until the other Denver player played the puck. [/q]

Since it's the penalty situation (thrown puck), it was presumably a delayed whistle until Denver gained possession of the puck.

And the line between a batted puck (hand pass) and a thrown puck leans heavily to the blatant side.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 13, 2004 07:12PM

[Q]jkahn Wrote:

I know you can't close your hand on the puck, but the whistle didn't seem to blow until the other Denver player played the puck. I was just wondering whether Kotyra ruled that it was a "closed hand" or "thrown puck" or something else, and whether he would've called it if Denver didn't play the puck. There was a similar hand pass earlier in the game that seemed like more of a grab to me but wasn't called - that one was played by the other team however. Of course, I was way at the top of the balcony, so I didn't have the closest view.[/q]

It took a while for the whistle to blow because

- maybe it took the ref a moment to parse something so dumb and blatant in the final minute of play

- you don't call a marginal penalty in the last two minutes of the championship game, especially not when it leads to a 5-on-3 advantage

- maybe he waited to see if Maine could control and continue the play

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 13, 2004 07:27PM

i hope that you're kidding. that was the most obvious delay of game i have seen in a long time ... and *should* be called no matter what game it is (especially when you are in your own zone up 1-0 in the closing minute).

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 13, 2004 09:05PM

[Q]ben03 Wrote:

i hope that you're kidding. that was the most obvious delay of game i have seen in a long time ... and *should* be called no matter what game it is (especially when you are in your own zone up 1-0 in the closing minute).[/q]

Yes, it was obvious. Or blatant. And it affected the game -- it illegally took the puck out of the attacking zone as Maine was on a power play. And it was the center of attention. It wasn't an away-from-the-play sort-of trip late in the game that the referee could ignore. That's why it had to be called.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2004 02:43AM

What confused me about the whole thing was that it looked like he was about to play it with his stick and then decided not to. Not sure what he was thinking; could have been a very very costly error....obviously...

...THOUGH not quite as costly as, say, pretending you're hurt and then running into your own teammate as an opposing player scores the biggest goal of a playoff series :-D

Posted by: jkahn (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2004 07:54AM

It's now obvious to me that the rule and interpretation are quite different in college vs. the NHL., and perhaps that was the source of my initial confusion at the call. In the NHL it would not have been a penalty unless it was ruled that the Denver player closed his hand on the puck. See [www.afn.org] and paragraph e) thereof.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2004 11:48AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
...THOUGH not quite as costly as, say, pretending you're hurt and then running into your own teammate as an opposing player scores the biggest goal of a playoff series [/q]

Good thing that doesn't happen, though.

...Oh wait.

Posted by: mha (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: April 14, 2004 12:30PM

Or maybe until the other player played the puck, the ref was willing to consider it to have been "dropped immediately" to be played by the player who caught it... but clumsily.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 14, 2004 01:16PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
...THOUGH not quite as costly as, say, pretending you're hurt and then running into your own teammate as an opposing player scores the biggest goal of a playoff series [/q]
Anyone know where I can find video of that on the web. I only saw it twice last night, and I need another good laugh.
laugh

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2004 02:34PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:
...THOUGH not quite as costly as, say, pretending you're hurt and then running into your own teammate as an opposing player scores the biggest goal of a playoff series [/Q]

Anyone know where I can find video of that on the web. I only saw it twice last night, and I need another good laugh.[/q]

It was/still is amusing indeed. Here ya go....

espn.com (though you have to have ESPN motion):

[sports.espn.go.com]

tsn.ca (where you have to register, although its free, I believe):

[www.tsn.ca]

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: April 14, 2004 06:36PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

jtwcornell91 Wrote:

Avash '05 Wrote:
...THOUGH not quite as costly as, say, pretending you're hurt and then running into your own teammate as an opposing player scores the biggest goal of a playoff series [/Q]
Anyone know where I can find video of that on the web. I only saw it twice last night, and I need another good laugh.[/Q]
It was/still is amusing indeed. Here ya go....

espn.com (though you have to have ESPN motion):

[sports.espn.go.com]

tsn.ca (where you have to register, although its free, I believe):

[www.tsn.ca]
[/q]
This link should work: [prodtsn.tsn.ca]

If not for TSN use login name: elynah pw: hornby

The TSN clip is a video review of the whole night (including all the goals), the winning goal sequence starts around the 2:00 mark.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2004 06:39PM by Rob NH.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login