Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hobey Hat Trick

Hobey Hat Trick
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 03:19PM

Junior Lessard, UMD
Zach Parise, UND
Yann Danis, Brown

Not sure who I'd like to see win out of that bunch....

Guess it doesn't matter as long as it isn't D-anus.

Re: Hobey Hat Trick
Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: March 31, 2004 03:25PM

That is vomit-inducing. Danis wasn't even the best goalie in the country - and probably not in the conference - this year. That must have been one great web site.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 31, 2004 03:33PM

I gotta think that Danis has no chance. For the above-mentioned reasons of his stats aren't the best is number 1.

Lessard is leading the nation in points and has managed to get his team to the Frozen Four.

Parise also had great stats, but his team isn't playing and he's only a sophomore whereas the other two are seniors. Still, he was MVP of World Juniors.

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:14PM

what
a
fucking
joke

He couldnt even win a playoff game this year. And they lost 6 of their last 7. Bah. yark

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:19PM

This probably means we will see more and more of those websites yark

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:51PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:
That is vomit-inducing. Danis wasn't even the best goalie in the country - and probably not in the conference - this year. [/Q]I don't know if I'd go THAT far. I think it's pretty safe to say Danis was the best goalie in the ECAC. Also, much of the voting (and hyping too) took place *before* Danis's collapse down the stretch and Howard's strong finish.

Something a little disappointing to think about (that I think Rich may have alluded to in the last thread):
02-03 Hobey Hat Trick:
Sejna, 36-46-82, 1.95 ppg
Kunitz, 35-44-79, 1.88 ppg
LeNeveu, 1.20, 94.0%

03-04 Hobey Hat Trick:
Lessard, 30-31-61, 1.39 ppg
Parise, 23-32-55, 1.49 ppg
Danis, 1.81, 94.2%

01-02 also saw forwards put up 79 and 75 points. Too bad Lenny couldn't have been up for the award in a down year for forwards.

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 05:20PM

How the f**k does Danis get the nod over someone like Howard, who is, in fact a great goalie?

At first, I had said that Danis wouldn't be one of the 10 finalists, and he was.
Then, I said that there is no way in hell he's gonna be one of the hattricks, and he is.
I currently refuse to believe that he will win the Hobey Baker, which probably means that he will.

If Danis does win, it'll be such an incredible insult to David LeNeveu, who played at a level that Danis couldn't achieve in his wettest dream.

What a f**king load of crock.

[website] swoosh... Did you see that? Another great swindle by Yan Danis! [/website]

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 05:43PM

[Q]If Danis does win, it'll be such an incredible insult to David LeNeveu, who played at a level that Danis couldn't achieve in his wettest dream.[/Q]

Well, Danis does have a higher save % His GAA is about 0.6 higher, but as has been debated on another thread, this has a lot to do with team defense. You can still make the arguement that Lenny is a better goalie if you want, I'd agree with you even, I don't think this is an insult to LeNeveu.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 06:38PM

Could USCHO be thinking exactly what we are?

From their front page:

Danis, third in the country with a 1.81 goals against average, is the second straight ECAC goalie in the final three, following Cornell's Dave LeNeveu, who had a 1.17 GAA entering the Frozen Four.

Anyone reading that has to think, "Well why should Danis win it then?"

Hm, I wonder if Adam Wodon wrote it :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 07:50PM

Some years the competition is tougher. If winning the Hobey was the No. 1 thing on LeNeveu's mind, he should have stuck around.

Sometimes I think the awards are as much for the fans as anyone. I bet DL is not moping around Springfield tonight wondering about opportunities lost.

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 08:36PM

Just so we're all clear ... here are the career stats on both Lenny and d'Anus:
YAN DANIS: 2000-2004
           GP/GS     MIN         GA       GAA        S        SV%      SHo     W-L-T
'03-'04    30/30    1820:52      55       1.81       901     .942        5    15-11-4
Career     100/97   6012:52     220       2.20      2945     .930       13    43-43-12

DAVID LeNEVEU: 2001-2003          
           GP/GS     MIN         GA       GAA        S        SV%      SHo     W-L-T     
'02-'03    32/32    1946:19      39       1.20      607      .940        9     28-3-1
Career     46/46    2748:46      60       1.29      914      .938       11     39-5-2

Say what you will but the numbers don't lie. Make your argument that GAA is more important ... Lenny wins there; make your argument that SV% is a more accurate reflection of a goalie and not the system ... Lenny wins again. I'm sorry ... but all this horsesh*t about him not deserving the accolades he received is making me sick. The fact d'Anus has made to the same "level" as Dave is not just an insult to the numbers that Lenny put up last year but it seriously makes me wonder who the F*UCK is actually voting for the Hobey.
[steps off soap box]

just my $.02:-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 08:52PM

Oh man. This makes me want to drive to Boston and start a riot if Danis wins it.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 08:57PM

I think Lessard deserves to win. He has led UMD's offense and taken that team to another level.

Date: April 01, 2004 12:23AM

In another thread we lament the quality of ECAC hockey and how it gets no respect. It's nice to know the Ivy League portion of the ECAC in the past three years contributed three finalists to the round of 10 (Doug Murray three years ago) and two of them were finalists in the round of 3. Actually, four finalists; Chris Higgins was a finalist two years ago along with LeNeveu.

So we ought to lay off Yann Denis. If the choice for the Hobey is a guy from one of the flyover states and a fellow Ivy Leaguer -- remember, we're the ones who're supposed to get together after graduation and conspire to run the country -- we should rally round our breathren.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2004 12:57AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2004 12:29AM

Danis is Quebecois, I don't think he's likely to conspire about running the country with us. :-P

Date: April 01, 2004 07:57AM

[Q]Say what you will but the numbers don't lie. Make your argument that GAA is more important ... Lenny wins there; make your argument that SV% is a more accurate reflection of a goalie and not the system ... Lenny wins again[/Q]

I thought the Hobey was only given for the past year's performance, am I wrong on this? Or is it even stated? I don't think anybody is saying Lenny doesn't deserve any of his accolades (except maybe over in another thread, which has turned into a complete disaster). I'm in agreement that Lenny is a better goalie than Danis!!

But...Last year's offensive candidates were awesome. This year's offensive candidates pale by comparison...cue the defensive candidates. Would Lenny have won this year with last year's numbers? Yes. But he didn't really give them a chance to give it to him this year. Giving it to Danis is not an insult. Maybe the timing is unfortunate, but that's life.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2004 07:58AM by Pete Godenschwager.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2004 08:46AM

About the only way you could compare Danis and Parise and Lessard is to have them go on-on-one and see if Danis could stop their shots. But that never happened nor is it going to happen. I am not advocating this - just throwing it out for arguments sake but with Miller winning in 01, Lenny a Hat Trick in 03 and Danis a hat trick in 04 and the inabiility to compare (insert something other than apples and oranges here), maybe it's time for a national award to recognize the best goaltender in the country. If the Ken Dryden award wasn't already in use in name in the ECAC, I might advocate for such an award named after him. There appears to be a rising interest in recognizing goaltenders for their accomplishments by making them part of the final three but so far, and I have to think come next Friday, still so far, Miller will be the only goaltender of the three to have won the award. Many say that Miller won the award by setting the career shutout record by the end of his sophomore year - that implies that two years were taken into account in giving him the Hobey. He of course had a lot going for him his sophomore year too.

Although Hobey was a great all-around athlete, I'm pretty sure he didn't spend much time in net at Princeton. I'm just saying if you can't compare Sejna, Parise and Lessard to Dryden, you can't compare Lenny and Danis to Parise and Lessard.

I also agree that the award is for the fans. Danis and Parise are moving on with higher aspirations. Lessard, might consider attending the ceremony as a distraction if his team is playing in the title game.

And while the Hobey might be turning into a popularity contest and losing some meaning at least we have the Humanitarian Award for somebody who didn't just 'leave it on the ice' but went beyond the ice. I guess that award can be somewhat subjective but what award isn't - we wouldn't have half the discussions on this board if something wasn't subjective.

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2004 09:00AM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:
Many say that Miller won the award by setting the career shutout record by the end of his sophomore year - that implies that two years were taken into account in giving him the Hobey. He of course had a lot going for him his sophomore year too. [/Q]GAA aside, I think that Miller actually had a better year than LeNeveu in his Hobey year. I don't have a problem with the Miller/LeNeveu comparisons, but I just don't see how Lenny/Danis is all that close. Maybe Ryan Miller and LeNeveu just made it easier for some voters to choose a goalie at all - and Danis is the first beneficiary.

Date: April 01, 2004 09:31AM

[Q]Maybe Ryan Miller and LeNeveu just made it easier for some voters to choose a goalie at all [/Q]

I agree, though find it strange that goalies aren't chosen more often. One often hears that goalies in hockey are the most important position players in any sport (i.e. have the most influence on the game). One would think they would win the Hobey a lot more than they do.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: April 01, 2004 05:56PM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

If the Ken Dryden award wasn't already in use in name in the ECAC, I might advocate for such an award named after him. [/Q]

Simple solution--we'll call it the Dave LeNeveu Award. :-D

Date: April 01, 2004 08:16PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

If the Ken Dryden award wasn't already in use in name in the ECAC, I might advocate for such an award named after him.

Simple solution--we'll call it the Dave LeNeveu Award.
[/Q]

Sheesh! Ken already had a building on campus, a road, and a town named after him. Or so my kids think.

I wish I cashed out my stock options in 1999 in which case - well, if I had 10,000 of them rather than 100 and not sat on them through the, ah, downturn - I could have put up a new hockey rink and named it Dryden Rink. Dryden, Marinaro, and maybe McEneneany deserve their names on buildings. Actually, for the latter it should be a buildings with a covered walkway, so you could call it the McEneneaney to French connection.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2004 09:22PM

Where exactly is Dryden Hall on campus?

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: April 01, 2004 10:30PM

You know, i was able to convince WAY too many people that my hometown (yes, i'm from Dryden) WAS named after Ken Dryden because of all the hockey fans in the area. Does anyone truly believe that still? I bet DisplacedCornellian does ;-) (or at least wishes it).

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: April 01, 2004 11:20PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Dryden, Marinaro, and maybe McEneneany deserve their names on buildings. Actually, for the latter it should be a buildings with a covered walkway, so you could call it the McEneneaney to French connection. [/Q]
Regarding French, Bill, you might enjoy this thread on the LaxPower Forum:

[forums.laxpower.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: April 02, 2004 12:33PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Dryden, Marinaro, and maybe McEneneany deserve their names on buildings. Actually, for the latter it should be a buildings with a covered walkway, so you could call it the McEneneaney to French connection. [/Q]

Marinaro has a lounge named after him in Schoellkopf Hall.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login