Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Yale-Cornell Part II

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Yale-Cornell Part II
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 03:42PM

I thought I'd start a new thread for todays game. Besides I was getting tired of having to expand the window size to read the whole post.

Anyway, I don't know if you all regularly read the Ithaca Journal, but they have a nice picture of [www.theithacajournal.com] Murray's goal.

Re: Yale-Cornell Part II
Posted by: profudge (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 04:46PM

Watching last night I was holding my breath big time - many times as I thought Yale out hustled us and for about 50% of the game had a great fore check going. Underhill was superb (I can't commit on the goal) Although higgins I believe it was snapped off a shot jst as matt was moving and it looked high and far upper corner from the other end of the rink. I saw him definitely come up very big three times in second period alone!

I will be there tonight and I will be yelling loudly from section N - GO BIG Red

P.S. Chris Higgins is really something he set up some folks on great plays and passes and we are lucky they are not quite his caliber or Yale would have had a few more! Lombard played almost as well as Underhill!

Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2002 05:31PM

I second that...he's an amazing player. He's physical, makes excellent, quick, sharp passes to his teammates (who don't seem to know what to do with the puck--if Higgins were passing to Higgins, he'd shoot it in the back of the net every time), and great shots. He's also very fast and has a great awareness of where all of his teammates are. I didn't really see how he played defensively, but I do know he had that one defensive miscue that led to the SHG by Murray.

I think the outhustling was something also present in the other game I saw at Lynah. Clearly, Yale is a faster team. However, we are a bigger, stronger team that can wear them down with strong forechecking. I am hoping the guy sitting near me in my section (F) shuts the hell up with his constant commentary--"oh great pass. nice dump! theres an offisides there! thats a TEXTBOOK deflection" Enough already. Any of you have those people who deserve a two-minute penalty in your seating areas?

P.S. On a sidenote, for some reason, my section also *ALWAYS* smells like someone is just constantly cutting cheese. After Murray's SHG, someone got SO excited that they stank up 3-4 entire rows. I dont know if they crapped in their pants or what...

Higgins
Posted by: twh2 (---.tnt42.bos2.da.uu.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 06:42PM

I can't comment on the farting maniac, but I would have to say that is the one reason I wouldn't want to be in Lynah tonight! yark

Surely playing Cornell at Lynah is showing Higgins what he's been missing. What would he be like playing with the likes of Bâby, Paolini, Murray, the McRaes et. all in front of arguably the greatest fans in the nation? You better believe he's asking himself these questions. Wrong choice sucker!!!

Re: Higgins
Posted by: guppy320 (---.tc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 09, 2002 06:59PM

HIG-gins SUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKSSSSS!

Date: March 09, 2002 07:00PM

Exactly! laugh

Date: March 09, 2002 07:03PM

EXACTLY MY FRIEND. listen to that big red crowd, it is music to my ears. oh how i miss the hill on nights like this

Date: March 09, 2002 07:08PM

We'll get back there soon, I promise;-)

Date: March 09, 2002 07:13PM

Say goodnight Yale, it's going to be a LOOOOONG game!!!! HORNBY!

Date: March 09, 2002 07:17PM

higgins and the yale freaks: help

Date: March 09, 2002 07:20PM

yaaaaaaaaaaaalll-le SUCKS!!!!:-(

Date: March 09, 2002 07:21PM

That sucks, but it was a nice rush by Yale:-(

Date: March 09, 2002 07:25PM

lombard you suck yark

Date: March 09, 2002 07:45PM

My two favorite players, Francis and Wieckowski baby. Hey Lombard, you're not a goalie, you're a sieve........... nut

Posted by: min '97 (---.res.gatech.edu)
Date: March 09, 2002 07:47PM

You're not a sieve, you're a funnel....

I cannot get over seeing Lynah on TV. I see plenty of college hockey on NESN here in Boston, and Lynah is so much louder than any other rink! LET'S GO CORNELL!!!:-P

Iggulden
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)

Any word on the whereabouts of Iggulden tonight?

Date: March 09, 2002 07:49PM

you're not a funnel you're a vacuum

Posted by: guppy 00 (---.tc.columbia.edu)
Date: March 09, 2002 07:52PM

lucky bastard :`(

Date: March 09, 2002 07:55PM

You're not a vacuum, you're a black hole.

Re: Iggulden
Date: March 09, 2002 07:56PM

I haven't heard, the idiots are interviewing Yalies on TV right now, but I'll keep my ears open.

you're not a black hole... YOU JUST SUCK YOU JUST SUCK YOU JUST SUCK... :-))

You're not a black hole, YOU JUST SUCK!

min '97
Date: March 09, 2002 07:58PM

min '97: great minds think a like

Date: March 09, 2002 07:59PM

A good first period, both goalies played well, but as has been discussed already in the forum the second period is when we really turn it on. Here's hoping we kick their a&% this period!!

Date: March 09, 2002 08:01PM

all will be well. the force is with them.

Re: min '97
Date: March 09, 2002 08:02PM

that's right! :-)

gosh, i so wish i was at lynah tonite...

Date: March 09, 2002 08:02PM

in addition: YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL-le SUCKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!! :-D

Re: min '97
Date: March 09, 2002 08:04PM

don't we all. we were at the yale game last month. i sure miss the games.

Higgins Apology
Date: March 09, 2002 08:06PM

Now I feel kind of bad, I didn't know the report that Higgins had commited to Cornell and went to Yale instead was untrue. Sorry Higgins:-/

Date: March 09, 2002 08:07PM

everytime i hear MUDDER i think if RUTTER...the great!!!!!

Re: Higgins Apology
Date: March 09, 2002 08:09PM

wait a minute he did not uncommit to us? well i will continue to think so bc he sucks. where did you hear that?

Date: March 09, 2002 08:11PM

Rutter was great, but he just didn't know how to finsih laugh Sorry Mike, you know we love ya!

Date: March 09, 2002 08:12PM

yeah, he always managed to fall past the blue line. nut
explain the news on higgins, not uncommiting?

Date: March 09, 2002 08:12PM

They said it was a false report in the Daily Sun, and that Shafer made them send an apology to Higgins.

Date: March 09, 2002 08:13PM

whoa, any more details. bc we rippe don him that night. ah well he deserves it he plays for yale

Date: March 09, 2002 08:16PM

Yeah we did, but you're right, he plays for Yale so who cares?!?

Date: March 09, 2002 08:18PM

Our PK is looking awesome, but if we want to go anywhere in the NCAAs we've got to get better on the face-offs.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz '84 (---.nycm.splitrock.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 08:20PM

My wife and I trekked to Ithaca and saw last month's Yale game. We sat in section O, next to the most pompous, 50+ year-old dick that Yale ever produced. He only lasted through the 1st period. He couldn't tolerate the cheering, er... jeering, directed toward his most superb alma mater. The cheer that drove him over the edge was a simple "Yale SUCKS." It was blasphemy to his ears. He commented to his wife that Cornell students say that mostly out of frustration. Got up after the first period and never came back. See ya!

Date: March 09, 2002 08:23PM

cornell scores!

i was at that game, opposite of you - in A --what a freeakin baby. go big red. we only speak the truth SCORE CORNELL go MCRAE :-D

it's all your FAULT LOMBARD

Date: March 09, 2002 08:24PM

lombard = help

Date: March 09, 2002 08:24PM

Beauty, love those special teams baby, and two assits for Knoepfli, very nice:-))

Date: March 09, 2002 08:25PM

FRUSTRATED help

Date: March 09, 2002 08:27PM

I saw that guy, he was horrible, and made even worse by the fact he couldn't take it!! WAY TO GO! YAAAAAAALE SUCKS!

Date: March 09, 2002 08:31PM

Mutter got a penalty, how great is that?!! See ya a*&hole, YOU GOON!

Date: March 09, 2002 08:32PM

laugh

Date: March 09, 2002 08:35PM

Goalie, Post, Sieve, Goalie, Post, Sieve!

Lynah Expansion?
Date: March 09, 2002 09:06PM

Are they really talking about renovating or expanding Lynah or as usual are the announcers just full of sh&%? twitch

Longest Goal Ever?
Date: March 09, 2002 09:22PM

That is the longest goal I have ever seen! GO START THE BUS, GO START THE BUS!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:27PM

> Are they really talking about renovating or expanding Lynah or as usual are the announcers just full of sh&%?

Lynah has undergone a series of minor renovations for the past 15 years. It's a much better building than it used to be, and I assume they will keep on incrementally improving it.

They can't do anything major, because the building is effectively grandfathered from having to comply with today's fire codes. They have been talking about running the seating all the way around the currently closed end, by I don't see how they could do that without compliance issues.

BTW, Grady and Pete are rarely, if ever, full of it. They're probably the best-informed announcers in college hockey.

PLACID HERE WE COME!!!
Date: March 09, 2002 09:29PM

laugh

Date: March 09, 2002 09:34PM

I was talking about the TV guys, I love Grady!

Date: March 09, 2002 09:37PM

i believe he meant the announcers from the televised game, not the radio announcers. because i did not hear grady mention it and you're right they are the best

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:38PM

Oh, ok.

Brown and Harvard are headed into overtime, and a Brown win would be GREAT for Cornell's PWR. Does anyone have a working link for either netcast?

Date: March 09, 2002 09:43PM

I know it's playing on WROL (950 AM Boston), I'm currently looking for a web link.

Posted by: Sperris (---.dialup.ziplink.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 09:53PM

950 AM in Boston is playing the BU game.

Date: March 09, 2002 09:55PM

Yeah, they went to it as soon as it started and left the Harvard game, I'm still looking...

Brown/Harvard
Date: March 09, 2002 09:57PM

It's playing on 95.3 FM in Boston, I'm listening right now, still in OT, I'm looking for a web link...

Re: Brown/Harvard
Date: March 09, 2002 09:59PM

there is a weblink on brown's website.

Harvard-Brown game
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:06PM

www.onworldwide.com, click on "On Air"

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 09, 2002 10:19PM

Let me just say . . . LET'S GO RED!

Great game, guys. On to Lake Placid, and the next victim.

Date: March 09, 2002 10:24PM

fantastic game. let's keep it rolling. - to anyone treking up to placid-- have fun.

Posted by: jkahn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 09, 2002 11:40PM

The PP looked great tonight. Unbelievably crisp passing from the first two units. And thank you whoever it was that was responsible for getting this game on TV. It was great seeing the Big Red at Lynah on TV out here in the Midwest. I watched it tonight with my wife and a Cornell couple I drove to Boston with for the '68 ECACs, which we won 34 years ago tonight. A good way to celebrate that anniversary.

Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 09, 2002 11:52PM

Well, saw him 'suited up' in a suit at the end obviously. But I believe Kelly Hughes replaced him in the lineup. I vaguely remember him taking a hard hit last night, but it might have just been a coaches decision to put in a fresh body (VERY fresh...kelly hasn't played since his injury hitting the goalpost, i dont think--i'm glad he's getting some PT, he shows a lot of hustle & strength).

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 10, 2002 12:07AM

Unbelievably crisp passing from the first two units.

Although it was only a near goal, that sequence on a PP in the second period (from the first unit) where they nearly scored with all 5 guys touching the puck in very quick sequence was pretty sweet.

wow
Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 12:36AM

woah, what a series. just wish i was not still recovering from this week help
it was great to go on the ice but it was so much more low-key than the harvard win. i think it was b/c by the time people got on the ice, they were calm since we all had to funnel thru the doors. glad i thought of going into A for the last 5 min :-P
the players were just as cool on the ice as after the harvard series. so friendly and great with the little kids who were on the ice. it was fun. thanks for a great season at home red and a great start to the post-season.
oh one more thing. if anyone wants a copy of today's empire sports broadcast it looks like mine taped. i even have the half hour sports desk b4 the game :-)
watching it now to see what I got. email me if u want a copy.
kick butt at placid, RED!
jy3
ps
anyone know how to get a copy of today's program? I left mine in my excitement and then when i went back to me seat someone had pilfered them.
thanks
nut

Posted by: Rico (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 03:31AM

Author: carter '00
Date: 03-09-02 19:56

you're not a black hole... YOU JUST SUCK YOU JUST SUCK YOU JUST SUCK...

I'm sorry to be that guy, but.. you only say it once. Just once. Please.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.tnt1.ithaca.ny.da.uu.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 04:04AM

People were saying between games that Schafer wanted them to play more of a physical game tonight, so we assumed he was playing Hughes because he hit more.

Posted by: profudge (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 10, 2002 07:40AM

Well - Sunday morning and I am still high and happy from the wonderful experience in Lynah last night! The Big Red just mad my weekend GREAT! Thnak you team and a BIG THANK YOU to the Seniors.... Nice touch to put out all senior line up for last face off with 2.7 sec. on the clock... they couldn't quite figure out who goes where at first! :-)

Again Yale swarmed early outshooting us by my count 14 - 8 in first period. But the Big Red ruled the rest of the way. the second goal by Francis and the set up work and pass from Mike Knoepfli and Krzysztof Wieckowski for it was as pretty as any all year!!

Ohio State swept Western Michigan that should help a bit in the rankings. but Harvard took Brown ee-yuck!

I have an extra ticket for NCAA East Finals on Sunday in Worcester MA. - I would sell at face value to anyone interested (I got three but one of my sons can't make the trip that weekend) GO BIG RED win in Lake Placid and hopefully I can cheer you on in Worcester!!!

Posted by: Jodi (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:08AM

What a great game to watch! The power play was incredible. If they keep that up, life is going to be good. They weren't forcing the shots but when they had one, they took it. So pretty. I was worried in the first period because Yale was doing a great job on the rush. They were also running an excellent neutral-zone trap and shutting down our players when we tried to get through the neutral zone--we didn't have many odd-man rushes in the first period. But the second and third periods--wow. Yay Red!

Posted by: Will (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 08:13AM

Last night's game was so frickin' awesome...everyone else has already expanded upon most of the intricacies of the game, so I'll just say it was so cool getting some of the players to sign my ticket. It may not be worth anything years from now, but hey, that's not the point, right? It was so cute watching a little girl give Underhill a little construction-paper-and-glitter card she made herself, that said "We Love You Underhill!" or something to that effect. I think I was honestly touched.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2002 10:53AM

The game last night was great. We played so much better than the night before...put it together for the whole game (except for a 5 minute lapse in the middle-end of the 1st.) And played especially hard-nosed, determined hockey in the 3rd. T-Bell's goal was awesome! Just barely crossing the line as the Yale guy sprinted hopelessly after it. 2 SHG in 2 nights...haven't seen that from us before. Great game Red! Let's kick some ass in Placid.

The guys really seemed to love having the fans out there this year. Not that they haven't in the past, but it really seemed they were excited about it this year. Fantastic end to a fantastic series!

Also, While it didn't matter in the end, was I the only one who thought the linesmen in these two games were absolutely horrible? They seemed to really not like Cornell. For instance, they threw out our faceoff guys way more than should have been done...but the most glaring is the icing stuff. Yale would ice the puck...our guy is 15 feet from it, and Feola waves it off because he thought we could have touched it. Yeah, with a dive and a 10 foot stick we could have...then at the end, we ice the puck, and it goes THROUGH THE LEGS of a Yale defender, and they don't wave it off. There were countless other instances of that over the weekend. Schafer gave them a talking to after the through the legs incident, but there were other such calls that were just as bad. Murphy was definitely horrible, but at least he was horrible for both teams, so it didn't matter.

Death Ass Part II
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 11, 2002 10:05AM

littleredfan wrote:

P.S. On a sidenote, for some reason, my section also *ALWAYS* smells like someone is just constantly cutting cheese. After Murray's SHG, someone got SO excited that they stank up 3-4 entire rows. I dont know if they crapped in their pants or what...

In 2000, somebody on the BC side of B had perpetual death ass. I'm not making this up when I say that they were so rank it made your eyes water. Same guy maybe?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:28PM

There was also a nasty little kid in the middle of section C for years. Well, the kid wasn't nasty, but his diet sure must have been. We were very glad when he finally grew up and went to college somewhere else.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 11, 2002 02:33PM

Hey, at least his parents are nice.:-D

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 12, 2002 03:14AM

And you thought the coversation was getting off-topic on the thread about the ACM poll? rolleyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login