Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard-Maine SPOILER thread

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Harvard-Maine SPOILER thread
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 05:21PM

Scoreless midway thru the 1st. Harvard just killed a Maine PP. Howard's GAA down to 1.04. yark

I'm on the chat, although I may not be in front of the computer much.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Harvard-Maine SPOILER thread
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 05:37PM

looks like harvard's doing their part, up 2-0 after 1 period.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 05:44PM

Harvard definitely doing their part, both for the ECAC and Lenny. Just for the next two weeks, Go Crimson.

Date: March 26, 2004 05:44PM

Yep. Howard's GAA up to 1.14. Three more goals and Harvard has my permission to win this game. :-}

Date: March 26, 2004 05:55PM

holy shit. 3-0

Posted by: dss28 (---.dmca.yale.edu)
Date: March 26, 2004 06:14PM

Time left???

Date: March 26, 2004 06:25PM

score is 3-1, there's maybe 5 minutes left in the 2nd. Maine just took a penalty while they were on the PK, so Harvard's gonna have a 5-3.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2004 06:25PM by pfibiger.

Date: March 26, 2004 06:29PM

Just saw on USCHO that it's 4-1.

Date: March 26, 2004 06:30PM

yep, just a couple minutes left in the period. now we just _hope_ that whitehead doesn't pull howard before he can give up his 5th goal :)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 06:33PM

They are firebombing the #1 team in the country?! Jebus, please don't let Harvard pull another undeserved 1989... help

Kyle

Date: March 26, 2004 06:34PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

yep, just a couple minutes left in the period. now we just _hope_ that whitehead doesn't pull howard before he can give up his 5th goal [/Q]

Actually his GAA is 1.22 now, so if they pull him before about the 17-minute mark of the 3rd, Lenny's record stands.

(We have a GAA ticker going on the chat.)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 06:41PM

1989 was completely deserved. That's the third best team I've ever seen (86 RPI, 93 Maine).

Date: March 26, 2004 06:53PM

well, howard was yanked! so assuming harvard doesn't blow this game, Lenny's record survives!

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 06:53PM

Howard pulled, Doyle in net. If Maine's season ends today, Howard finishes with 1.22

Posted by: Petunia '95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:02PM

I hope Harvard wins so the ECAC can get the Champ belt.
rolleyes

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.wholesystems.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:04PM

Actually, it doesn't matter what Harvard does, as long as Howard doesn't play any more this season.

Date: March 26, 2004 07:07PM

Just saw it's 4-2....

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:08PM

4-3 now....hang on Harvard!

Date: March 26, 2004 07:11PM

[Q]Anne 85 Wrote:

Actually, it doesn't matter what Harvard does, as long as Howard doesn't play any more this season. [/Q]

But if H wins, Maine's season is over.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:17PM

4-4

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.painewebber.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:25PM

HARVARD LOSES 5-4!!!!

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.wholesystems.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:25PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

[Q]Anne 85 Wrote:

Actually, it doesn't matter what Harvard does, as long as Howard doesn't play any more this season. [/Q]

But if H wins, Maine's season is over. [/Q]

Really? **]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2004 07:27PM by Anne 85.

Date: March 26, 2004 07:26PM

[Q]bigggreddd77 Wrote:

HARVARD LOSES 5-4!!!! [/Q]

Well, not yet. Still 3:33 to play.

Date: March 26, 2004 07:26PM

[Q]bigggreddd77 Wrote:

HARVARD LOSES 5-4!!!! [/Q]

Uh, not yet. Still 3 minutes left.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2004 07:27PM by RichH.

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:28PM

is this on tv in ithaca?

Date: March 26, 2004 07:32PM

NOW it's final. 5-4. Harvard blew a 4-1 3rd period lead. 0-3 last 3 years in the NCAA.

Chokers.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:38PM

We have to look at this as potentially the best of both worlds: Harvard is out and Howard's GAA is up.

Now we need the winner of Ohio State-Wisconsin to pour it on Maine in the regional final, whether it's Howard or Doyle in net.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:38PM

ok that just blows. i am a little annoyed that i am in the area in which this game is occuring and time warner does not carry the station that is broadcasting the game. no NESN for albany folks to watch a game in their backyard. that was annoying. how did they BLOW a 4-1 3rd period lead. of course people will say they choked but i give them credit for outplaying the number 1 team in the country for 2 periods. i am disappointed...

Posted by: JDeafvCornell (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:50PM

I'm watching this game 2 periods delayed on Comcast Sports Network (not CN8) in MD, right now, but after inadvertantly seeing the score on USCHO I had to come check the forum.

Should still be an interesting game to watch, things look a little chippy after 1, hopefully nobody will do anything stupid.

Posted by: bigggreddd77 (---.painewebber.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:05PM

Best of both worlds?

Yeah...we're still part of the EZAC...thats just swell... screwy

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:05PM

Anyone have stats on other teams that have blown a lead like Harvard did in the 3rd in NCAA tournament history? I really am shocked, not that Maine won, but how they did it.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:08PM

Well I watched it at a sports bar and Hvd was outplayed, but great on PP (3/5). I think they just ran out of gas, as only 7 shots in the third period. Quite a scare however. Howard didn't look bad, but certainly not great. No defense by anyone till the third, when as I said I think Hvd was very tired. Shots 46-40 Maine nut .

I'd actually like to see Howard play tomorrow and lose it outright.

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:15PM

Allowing 4 goals on 7 shots is pretty poor. Did Dov get hung out by the defense?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 08:15PM

[Q]Bahnstorm Wrote:

Anyone have stats on other teams that have blown a lead like Harvard did in the 3rd in NCAA tournament history? [/Q]
Well, there was a certain NCAA semifinal in 1973 where a very fine team blew a three-goal lead with 12 minutes to play. :`(

Date: March 26, 2004 08:17PM

[Q]Bahnstorm Wrote:

Allowing 4 goals on 7 shots is pretty poor. Did Dov get hung out by the defense? [/Q]
The game-winner was shot from the point and was deflected twice--unintentionally--past Dov. Lots of loose play by Harvard in their own end in that third period.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 09:20PM

Great come back by Maine....in the 3rd they adjusted and stopped letting Harvard set up the trap. Rather than setting up behind their own net, they just slapped it around the boards and took it to Harvard.

Harvard looked great through two periods. Did Mazz forget to tell them that the games are still 60 minutes long in the post-season??

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 26, 2004 11:07PM

I think the Smuckers jar was empty after 2.

Other First Round Games
Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2004 09:15AM

Thanks to NESN, got to see a triple-header of Harvard-Maine live, North Dakota-Holy Cross live and a full tape delay of Wisconsin-Ohio State - it was bad enough the last game was so boring but to have it on a 90-minute tape delay snore Only good part was seeing Adam W. for his on camera cameos instead of just off camera at Lynah.

First on the Harvard-Maine game, Harvard did what we wanted them to do - raise Howard's GAA average above Lenny's which I'm sure was the first thing on their minds :-P but as the numbers revealed after the second period, all Harvard had to do was win the game to officially end Howard's season and beat the (barely) #1 team in the country and preserve Lenny's record. And they couldn't do it. Howard escapes with a no-decision, could live to play another day and the EZAC chants will come back even though it shouldn't. Harvard got to Howard like no other team has been able to ths season.

On the Holy Cross-North Dakota game, Holy Cross played good defense on the large ice sheet in Colorado Springs. They had good goaltending from Quesada, an ailing goalie who lost his pre-game meal onto the ice during the third period - nice camera shot of him joking with the people in charge of cleaning up. And he stayed in the game after that and was pulled later when the game looked lost to give the other goalie a chance to participate in an NCAA game and get on the boxscore. When they scored in the first minute, I thought UND was headed for a blowout. I think with Denver playing close to home, they have a shot at beating UND in today's final.

And all I can really say about the Ohio State-Wisconsin game is that it reminded me of the Cornell-Ohio State consolation at the 2002 Everblades which was a boring game to watch ending in a 1-0 Ohio State win back then but Wisconsin pulls it out yesterday. Perhaps that extra week off helped. With the game 90 minutes behind actual time and having already watched two games, it looked to me like skaters going back and forth but nobody really doing much to erase the goose eggs. Anybody in Albany there and stayed to watch the whole game? USCHO is comparing the Ohio State-Wisconsin game to the Ohio State-BC game of last year (also 1-0 Ohio State loss). But that wasn't boring since we really cared about who won that game and hoped it would go to many many overtimes.

Anybody see the get your tickets for the 2005 Frozen Four commercial. There was a brief (under one second) clip of a Cornell player stick raised from last year's FF. Anybody see who that was?

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2004 09:50AM

And because Wisconsin was in the house last night there were some Badgers at both of those games. I hate to say that the 1973 game was more memorable than the game last night will be for me. But that game in 1973 may haunt us forever.

At the game yesterday there were no replays on the big screen at center ice. I was sitting in the back of the lower deck center ice section and the TV crew was behind us. One of their monitors was visible and many of us were standing after the goals to see the replays during Maine vs. Harvard. popcorn

That is we were doing this until the security guard told us we couldn't look in the box! screwy

I imagine that if a company had paid big bucks to rent a box that they wouldn't want bozos turning around after every close play, but this was the television crew's box. I can't believe that they cared.

If you heard the bozos yelling for replays during the first game, count me as one of those clowns. I didn't know that the NCAA is forbidding replays at the games.

Random thoughts from Albany
Date: March 27, 2004 10:00AM

The attendence is Albany was poor yesterday. There were many more fans from Wisconsin at every other outing that I have seen them play. The Ohio State University brought little more than the band and cheerleaders. Their turnout was similar to Providence last year.

The only significant fan base was from Maine.

I expected to see the committee send Michigan to Albany to pump up ticket sales. They could have switched Michigan and TOSU without upsetting the seeding to a great degree. Since New Hampshire has been sold out for a couple of months this would have actually released some tickets there (as the student reserved tickets from TOSU would have been available for sale) and the Michigan fans would have made a showing in Albany.

Re: Random thoughts from Albany
Posted by: cornelldavy (209.83.163.---)
Date: March 27, 2004 10:15AM

It must have been a lonely drive back from Albany...

Trust me, it's a funny picture. I'm just an idiot and can't figure out the tags. Go here: [www.geocities.com]
Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2004 10:24AM by cornelldavy.

Date: March 27, 2004 02:17PM

[Q]marty Wrote:

The attendence is Albany was poor yesterday. There were many more fans from Wisconsin at every other outing that I have seen them play. The Ohio State University brought little more than the band and cheerleaders. Their turnout was similar to Providence last year.

The only significant fan base was from Maine.

I expected to see the committee send Michigan to Albany to pump up ticket sales. They could have switched Michigan and TOSU without upsetting the seeding to a great degree. Since New Hampshire has been sold out for a couple of months this would have actually released some tickets there (as the student reserved tickets from TOSU would have been available for sale) and the Michigan fans would have made a showing in Albany.

[/Q]

The Harvard radio announcers commented on the poor turnout by Crimson supporters. They mentioned a wedge of about 70 fans in some section of the stands.

The Boston Globe reported about 4,000 Maine fans at the game.

Re: Other First Round Games
Date: March 27, 2004 02:21PM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

Anybody see the get your tickets for the 2005 Frozen Four commercial. There was a brief (under one second) clip of a Cornell player stick raised from last year's FF. Anybody see who that was? [/Q]

I had a tape running from 5:00-11:00 because we had dinner guests. I remember seeing the commercial when I was watching the last game, after everyone had left, and noticing the Cornell player. Assuming they ran that commercial at least once in the 6-hour window of my taping, I'll see if I can nail down who it was.

Date: March 27, 2004 02:59PM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

The Harvard radio announcers commented on the poor turnout by Crimson supporters. They mentioned a wedge of about 70 fans in some section of the stands.

[/Q]

I guess I'm not surprised at this - those announcers are likely future Harvard TA's.

I counted about 7 fans.

Attendance inflation.
yark

Posted by: nyc94 (---.focaldata.net)
Date: March 27, 2004 03:32PM

Did anyone else notice that Harvard's "resume" graphic on the television broadcast listed their conference as "Ivy League"? No love for the ECAC?

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2004 04:31PM

judy posing as melissa...

there were some ohio state fans up in the second tier, but they were really quiet. the pep band....wanted to strangle them with my bare hands...we only lasted half a period sitting near them. of course, we only lasted half the game since it was so boring that i was trying to figure out if it'd be more worth my while to take out the entire ohio state pep band/cheering crew or myself...and couldn't quite figure out an entertaining enough way to take out the cheering section.
anyone at the game, what was that brown, non badger mascot thing that wisconsin had?
and fwiw, neither maine nor harvard came out looking as i was expecting. harvard didn't seem to be playing as well as they looked last weekend and yet, they were keeping up with maine, which made me think maine really wasn't playing up to potential. by the second period, maine was waking up, harvard was still harvard and by the third, maine was definitely in control....
echoing past sentiments, if harvard had to lose, at least they put 4 goals on howard...

and the harvard 'fan' section, yes it was quite empty. they're on spring break and it seems those 18 fans (yes, they've tripled from the 6 jerk fans) that were there for the ecac championships even thought spring break was more important than cheering on their team in the ncaa tournament.

Date: March 27, 2004 04:43PM

Just curious, was the Angry Hippie among the 18? He was such a joy at Lynah East.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 27, 2004 05:09PM

[Q]cornelldavy Wrote:

It must have been a lonely drive back from Albany...

Trust me, it's a funny picture. I'm just an idiot and can't figure out the tags. Go here: [www.geocities.com]

Edited 8 times. Last edit at 03/27/04 10:24AM by cornelldavy. [/Q]

Clearly the idjit in the White Explorer can't read.....

;-)

Re: Other First Round Games
Date: March 28, 2004 12:59AM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:

Anybody see the get your tickets for the 2005 Frozen Four commercial. There was a brief (under one second) clip of a Cornell player stick raised from last year's FF. Anybody see who that was? [/Q]

I couldn't see the name of the player who scored when I watched the tape, but it sure looks like it was a number ending in a zero. Anyone know if Palahicky scored against UNH, since he was #20 and I don't see anyone else besides Todd Marr (#30) on last year's roster with a zero.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2004 01:23AM

Plahicky *cough cough* "didn't" *cough cough* score a goal.

*cough cough*

Date: March 28, 2004 01:32AM

[Q]Jordan 04 Wrote:

Plahicky *cough cough* "didn't" *cough cough* score a goal.

*cough cough* [/Q]

Are you saying this replay might have been THAT goal? :-(

It's so damn short and quick, it's hard to say what set it up.

Date: March 28, 2004 07:25AM

[Q]Killer Wrote:
Are you saying this replay might have been THAT goal?
[/Q]

I think they showed the replay of that in the intro to the first Everblades game as they were saying Cornell went to the Frozen Four last year.

Interesting view of the world
Date: March 30, 2004 05:40PM

From ivyleaguesports.com:

"A late game rally by Maine led to a 5-4 upset over Harvard in the first round of the NCAA Tournament." screwy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login