Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Conference championship games

Posted by Avash 
Conference championship games
Posted by: Avash (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2004 08:34PM

So I'm doing a large amount of channel changing, watching the ECAC, WCHA, CCHA, and HE championship games right now!

Updates:

Maine just scored a PPG to go up 1-0 on Mass late in the second. UMass now going on a PP....

PPG for Minnesota and they lead UND 1-0 in the 1st

Harvard's Grumet-Morris just ROBBED a Clarkson player's shot on a seemingly wide open net. 0-0, 1st

OSU leads Michigan 3-0 at the end of the 2nd. Now if only OSU had beaten Michigan in football....:-P

Re: Conference championship games
Date: March 20, 2004 08:36PM

And Clarkson just scored 5-hole; they're up 1-0. And despite all my channel changing, I've seen all the goals!

Date: March 20, 2004 08:41PM

2-0 Clarkson on a goal by Lush, near the end of the 1st.

I hate to say it, but I'm rooting for the Crimson.

Date: March 20, 2004 08:42PM

Wow, North Dakota is really really good. 1-1.

Date: March 20, 2004 08:59PM

Clarkson outshot Harvard 10-6 in the 1st; Harvard 0-2 on the PP.

16 mins to go in the 3rd, still 1-0 Maine over UMass. 26 saves for Howard so far (unofficial). He's been really impressive and is trying to earn his FOURTH shutout in his last FIVE games.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2004 09:00PM

Harvard scores, 2-1 Clarkson

Cavanaugh gets the goal 10 seconds into period
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2004 09:01PM by .

Date: March 20, 2004 09:00PM

....Cavanaugh, 10 seconds into the 2nd period.

Hey I'm not the only one here! nut

Date: March 20, 2004 09:02PM

Michigan scores; 3-1 Ohio State, 9:20 to go in the 3rd.

Date: March 20, 2004 09:08PM

Harvard scores again; 2-2 on a 2 on 1...in the 2nd

Date: March 20, 2004 09:12PM

Gophers score, lead 2-1 over UND

Penalty after penalty in the HE game; Mass has 4 guys in the box, Maine has 3. And there were 3 or 4 different incidents!

Date: March 20, 2004 09:20PM

53 seconds to go in the CCHA game, thrilling stuff, OSU up 3-2, but Michigan has a 6 on 4 advantage...

EDIT: OSU scores a SHG ENG, and Ohio State wins its first CCHA title since 1972. Good for them.

Oh and Minnesota scores on a 3 on 1 rush just as a UND PP ends; 3-1..........and now Bochenski scores for the Sioux. Make that 3-2 Gophers.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2004 09:23PM by .

Date: March 20, 2004 09:25PM

YES! SCORE! Massachusetts ties Maine 1-1 on a PPG (right after a timeout!) with 6:13 to go.

Rooting for UMass so that there are as many Eastern teams as possible....

Date: March 20, 2004 09:39PM

Parise scores, North Dakota goes up 3-2. This is some of the most exciting college hockey I've ever seen.

UMass and Maine tied 1-1 at the end of regulation.

Harvard and Clarkson tied 2-2 at the end of the 2nd period.

Date: March 20, 2004 09:47PM

If anyone has NESN, following the current commercial break, will be a followup feature on Joe Exter.

Date: March 20, 2004 09:56PM

OT underway at the Fleetcenter (btw, UMass's goal ended Howard's shutout streak of over 164 mins). Maine buzzing now...

3rd period underway in Albany.

(and the aforementioned Exter feature was really good. Lots of clips, comments from Exter, the Merrimack coach, and more.).

Posted by: dss28 (---.drama.yale.edu)
Date: March 20, 2004 10:05PM

Harvard on the PP... Nickerson in the box.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:08PM

Vanek scores after a careless giveaway in the defensive zone (the North Dakota player tried an ill-advised cross ice pass in front of the goal)

The HE (1-1 in OT), ECAC (2-2, early 3rd), and WCHA (3-3, early 3rd) title games are all tied...very exciting....

Date: March 20, 2004 10:10PM

Now Clarkson on PP

Date: March 20, 2004 10:14PM

....killed off. (EDIT: I thought the previous post was about the previous penalty, which was killed off by Harvard. Harvard is in fact currently on the power play...)

Minnesota scores, leads 4-3 with 14 minutes to go in the 3rd period.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2004 10:17PM by .

Date: March 20, 2004 10:16PM

I love this. They're literally trading power plays.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:19PM

This HE game is about as exciting as a 1-1 tie can be. Shots are 50-41 in favor of Massachusetts. Howard has been nothing short of stunning, and if he happens to break the record, at least he is very deserving.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:22PM

Bochenski and UND tie Minnesota 4-4, halfway through the 3rd. If all 3 of these games are in OT at the same time, I don't know how I'll be able to handle it..... nut

Date: March 20, 2004 10:26PM

Harvard scores :37 left in 3rd

Date: March 20, 2004 10:27PM

Clarkson pulls Traylen...

ENG for the Crimson. They're going to win it.

...and Harvard gets the empty net.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:32PM

Well a year ago, an icing with just over 30 seconds to go doomed Harvard. This year, an icing with just over 30 seconds ago doomed Clarkson, as Harvard scored right off the faceoff.

I thought I'd feel sick seeing them win, even though I was rooting for them. But it's not that bad :-). Let's get 'em next year.

Talk about a see-saw game. The Gophers take a 5-4 lead with 5 mins to go now in the 3rd.

Maine and UMass are tied at 1 at the end of the 1st OT. The goalies have been amazing.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:38PM

Oh my....I've never seen anything like this:

There was a penalty on Minnesota with about 4 and a half in the 3rd. They pulled the goalie for a 6 on 4 advantage. The Gophers BARELY missed getting an ENG a couple times, and then, with play STILL going on, Minnesota puts the goalie back in. The kicker? They changed goalies. A goalie change on the fly amidst a power play! Unbelievable

2 minutes to go.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:41PM

Minnesota wins 5-4.

The only game remaining is Maine/Mass, as the 2nd OT is about to start. HUGE NCAA implications with this one as well.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:45PM

Do you realize that, during the course of the season, Minnesota went from #1 in the country to unranked and now to WCHA champion and will be a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament? Impressive.

Date: March 20, 2004 10:56PM

The inevitable "4th longest HE game ever........3rd longest HE game ever......." talk has started :-)

9 minutes remaining in the 2nd overtime. I'm sure each team has at least 50 shots by now. Massachusetts nearing 60 :-O

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 20, 2004 10:59PM

I think the worst part about this is that this game helps Howard's GAA to sink as it goes on.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:02PM

Shots are 59-50 in favor of the Minutemen. My goodness.

Indeed, Howard's GAA keeps dropping....but Winer (NOT Warner, tonight, despite his shutout against BU last night) is matching him save for save at the other end.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:06PM

About 3 minutes to go in the 2nd OT. Now the LONGEST GAME in Hockey East history.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:08PM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

Indeed, Howard's GAA keeps dropping....but Winer (NOT Warner, tonight, despite his shutout against BU last night) is matching him save for save at the other end. [/Q]

I'm not exactly worried about Winer's GAA at all at the moment.

Let's go UMass!

Date: March 20, 2004 11:11PM

UMass and Maine will play a third overtime period.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:18PM

One has to wonder if either team is thinking about replacing their goalies at the moment. True, they're both doing really well, but they have to be getting tired. At least Maine knows they can rely on Frank Doyle; UMass would probably be more nervous with Tim Warner, who has significantly less playing experience this season.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:44PM

Maine scores at 9:27 of the 3rd OT.

Date: March 20, 2004 11:45PM

I believe the shots were 64-60 in favor of Massachusetts (not positive though). Congrats to the Black Bears; you could feel a game winner coming, as Maine had carried the play almost the entirety of the 3rd overtime period. What a incredibly fun game to watch.

Jim Howard is the tournament MVP. No surprise there :-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2004 11:46PM by .

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 20, 2004 11:47PM

Oh nooooooo...with Cornell out of it, I was hoping UMass (my sister's school) could reach the NCAAs.

Oh well, congrats to the Minutemen on an awesome season...the best in their history. And I remember Cornell losing a tough championship overtime game to Harvard two years ago, and then rebounding to win the ECAC tournament next year.

Posted by: judy (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 12:17AM

favorite sign from the evening thanks the the sucks fans...
"We can't hear you!"

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 12:32AM

Who was the ECAC Tourny MVP?

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 12:43AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Who was the ECAC Tourny MVP? [/Q]
I think Bernakevitch somehow got it over Cavanagh, who had 2 tonight, but I'm not positive.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 12:54AM

Just back from the Hockey East Championship Game. I can now say I've seen two of the four longest games in men's DI history (BU-SLU 2000 epic NCAA regional battle as well). I really think that UMass' goalie Winer played a better game stopping the puck whereas Howard gave up more rebounds although both looked extremely solid. Actually, more than solid. Howard gives up 1 goal in 8 and a half periods of play in rougly a 27-hour span. Howard was named the Tournament MVP as well as of course, named to the All-Tournament team.

At that point, you really hated to see UMass lose. And unfortunately the loss ends their season. The game was also the longest, pro or college game ever played at the Fleet Center.

The referee called NO penalties in any of the three overtime periods despite obvious incidents of roughing, tripping, etc. Fortunately the players kept it pretty clean because once you see the ref isn't calling anything, things can get out of hand pretty quickly.

I was sitting with a bunch of UHN fans who were all pulling for UMass. I must say they didn't have all their facts together as most didn't know UHN was already a lock for the tournament and some didn't know where UHN would be sent until I explained they can only go one place. Well, UHN can probably go somewhere else if you know what I mean. ;-)

Date: March 21, 2004 01:31AM

[Q]JohnnieAg'99 Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

Who was the ECAC Tourny MVP?
I think Bernakevitch somehow got it over Cavanagh, who had 2 tonight, but I'm not positive. [/Q]

Bernakevitch deserved the MVP award, if he did indeed get it. I watched both games, and he played extremely well. He had the game-winner, breaking a 1-1 tie, against Dartmouth, and he had 2 assists in the championship game, including setting up Kenny Smith for the game winner late in the 3rd.

Actually, I remember correctly, Bernakevitch (I'm pretty sure it was him, who went RIGHT around Charlie Cook) almost had a big goal against Lenny last year in the championship game, but it was waived off (as was another Crimson goal thanks to a quick whistle) because the goal had become dislodged.

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 01:45AM

[Q]Tom Pasniewski 98 Wrote:I was sitting with a bunch of UHN fans who were all pulling for UMass.[/Q]
Were you sitting in the 112 area? Saw a guy with a Cornell shirt and another guy with a Cornell hat in that area.

Great game, unfortunately had to leave after the second OT to make the last train outta there, surely will go down as one of the greatest HE finals of all time (still second to 1984's). Man has U-Mass come a long way in a short amount of time.

Date: March 21, 2004 01:50AM

[www.uscho.com]

By the way, shots ended up being 64-61 Massachusetts. Anyone know what the record for total shots in a game is?

(side note: Highlights from the conference championship games were on the 1am Sportscenter tonight. And the game-winner by Ben Murphy of Maine was #8 in the Top 10)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2004 01:55AM by .

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 08:05AM

Don't know what the record is, but in these two games one team had 74 shots:

[members.cox.net]
[members.cox.net]

Posted by: Rob NH (---.lndnnh.adelphia.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 09:08AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:
By the way, shots ended up being 64-61 Massachusetts. Anyone know what the record for total shots in a game is?[/Q]
Not sure, but both of these goalies were just shy of Chris Terreri's HE record for most saves (set in the first HE tourny in '84), I believe Chris blocked 66 in 2 OT's.

Posted by: dss28 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 21, 2004 06:06PM

[Q]side note: Highlights from the conference championship games were on the 1am Sportscenter tonight. And the game-winner by Ben Murphy of Maine was #8 in the Top 10)[/Q]

I could be wrong (10 hours of tech rehearsal messes with your head), but it seemed like Sportscenter talked about all the championships EXCEPT the ECAC....?

Date: March 21, 2004 06:24PM

[Q]dss28 Wrote:

I could be wrong (10 hours of tech rehearsal messes with your head), but it seemed like Sportscenter talked about all the championships EXCEPT the ECAC....?

[/Q]

They talked about the AHA and CHA championships, too?

Date: March 22, 2004 02:56PM

[Q]Will Wrote:

dss28 Wrote:

They talked about the AHA and CHA championships, too?
[/Q]

I only saw highlights from the CCHA, WCHA, and HE finals

Posted by: dss28 (---.dmca.yale.edu)
Date: March 22, 2004 04:26PM

I could've sworn Holy Cross and Niagara were mentioned as being the winners of their conferences, but they didn't show any highlights. I remember thinking "okay, when are you going to mention Harvard winning?" ...And then they didn't. And then I went to bed. And then I slept. Yay sleep.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2004 04:56PM

it may have been some weird problem getting highlights or permission to use the highlights. this has happened before in the NY/NJ area when one station has rights to a game and another doesnt...

Date: March 23, 2004 02:18PM

Don't think this was posted yet.....

The 2004 ECAC All-Tournament Team:

G Dov Grumet-Morris, Jr., Harvard
D Dave McCulloch, Sr., Harvard
D Michael Grenzy, Fr., Clarkson
F Brendan Bernakevitch, Jr., Harvard Tournament MOP
F Tom Cavanagh, Jr., Harvard
F Tristan Lush, Sr., Clarkson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login