Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game 3 Postgame thread

Posted by ugarte 
Game 3 Postgame thread
Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:26PM

I'm proud of the team even if this wasn't their best game.

Thanks to Vesce, Hornby, Wallace and Marr.

Welcome to Scott, Sawada, Mugford and Krantz. You have something to build on for next year and some big shoes to fill.

LET'S GO RED!

Re: Game 3 Postgame thread
Date: March 14, 2004 09:30PM

Clarkson had a lot of freaky goals, but it doesn't change the fact that they outplayed us very, very badly. They really got after the puck and (I hate to say this, because I REALLY like Schafer) they had a plan.

This is a tough way to go out. I feel especially bad for Vesce, who worked too hard for too long to have to spend his final college game in a suit.

Date: March 14, 2004 09:33PM

Last post until someone else comments (pulled from the other thread):

[Q]Al DeFlorio Wrote:

[q]krose Wrote:

That's it, guys. Season's over. After Lenny and our seniors left last year, I suspected this season would not be nearly as exciting, but they exceeded my expectations in nearly every way, *especially* McKee. Nonetheless, these last two games have been extremely disappointing even in light of Vesce's injury, and I hope Schafer and the underclassmen learn from this experience.

Kyle[/q]
Great series by Clarkson. An amazing comeback after the Friday night game. George Roll does good work.
[/Q]I agree with both of you. A season that exceeded expectations and a game that ended because of good work by the opposition. I think we would do well to give more credit to the opposition and less blame to our guys.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:37PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

Last post until someone else comments (pulled from the other thread):

Al DeFlorio Wrote:

krose Wrote:

That's it, guys. Season's over. After Lenny and our seniors left last year, I suspected this season would not be nearly as exciting, but they exceeded my expectations in nearly every way, *especially* McKee. Nonetheless, these last two games have been extremely disappointing even in light of Vesce's injury, and I hope Schafer and the underclassmen learn from this experience.

Kyle
Great series by Clarkson. An amazing comeback after the Friday night game. George Roll does good work.
I agree with both of you. A season that exceeded expectations and a game that ended because of good work by the opposition. I think we would do well to give more credit to the opposition and less blame to our guys.
[/Q]
Never thought I'd miss Mark Morris. :-/

Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:41PM

You gotta give the guys credit for making something out of a not-too-promising looking season after that W. Michigan series (especially Dave McKee, who has been outstanding). Awfully disappointing way to end, but don't forget that they did win a trophy this year.

All the same, my heart goes out to the seniors, especially Ryan. I'm pretty sure he hadn't missed a game until this year...to have to watch his team play their final game without him must have killed him.

THANK YOU SENIORS

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:47PM

Lack of class from Schafer not putting Marr in after the fifth goal and Hornby on the ice for the end of the game. Very disappointed with that.

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:47PM

George Roll has obviously done a great job with that Clarkson team, and they played their hearts out the last two games and took advantage of every opportunity they had. The loss hurts, but hopefully it can be a driving force next year, just like the Harvard and UNH losses were in 2002.

Dustin Traylen is officially one of my least favorite human beings. "I own you," he yelled over to Section A after the Knights' 5th goal, right after dancing around and making himself look like a buffoon.

Date: March 14, 2004 09:48PM

Turning point of the series was the fight Friday night. Totally energized Clarkson.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:52PM

Why is it lack of class for Mike not to play Marr in garbage time during a heartbreaking loss? Marr played some great games for us -- he hardly needed to be patronized.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:52PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Turning point of the series was the fight Friday night. Totally energized Clarkson. [/Q]

Agreed. Completely.

Date: March 14, 2004 09:55PM

Marr put in his time. His career is over. He deserved to play just a little longer. Not to mention the fact that he never played at Lynah.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2004 09:55PM

But I should have energized us too. Don't get me wrong, this team gave us more than we coulda asked for the beginning of the year, but if they didn't come energized to these last two games, then there's no one to blame but themselves.

Date: March 14, 2004 10:01PM

I don't think Cornell could have played better than they did Friday night. Clarkson clearly could have played a lot better and after that fight, Clarkson was a much different hockey team. Cornell played far worse.

Posted by: DisturbinThaPe-a-ce (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 10:02PM

Tell me why that game was really fuckin' gay to watch:-(

What the hell happend to the team we all saw Friday? Seriously.. where'd it go?

Embarassing.. embarassing.. truly embarassing. Especially because we KNEW we coulda done it.

Posted by: Ryan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 10:05PM

Hey, the new fans can learn from this too. Not that anyone on elynah took part in this, but the “Season’s Over” chant Friday night was a little premature, too say the least (just like the keys in a one goal game earlier this year).

Date: March 14, 2004 10:07PM

The season's over chant friday night was directed to Nickerson. If he got a DQ then he would have gotten TWO games because he already has one DQ this year.

Date: March 14, 2004 10:08PM

I stand corrected...

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2004 10:13PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

The season's over chant friday night was directed to Nickerson. If he got a DQ then he would have gotten TWO games because he already has one DQ this year. [/Q]

That doesn't make it any less premature. A two game suspension would not have necessarily ended his season...unless Clarkson fell to Cornell. So the fact that it was directed at Nickerson doesn't make it any less idiotic.

Date: March 14, 2004 10:14PM

still though, that would've assumed that clarkson couldn't win those two games without him... presumptuous… comes back to bite us every time…

Date: March 14, 2004 10:16PM

You guys make a fair point, but I'm having a tough time putting any blame on anybody but the players and coaches.

Date: March 14, 2004 11:05PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

You guys make a fair point, but I'm having a tough time putting any blame on anybody but the players and coaches. [/Q]Maybe you should stop and think about whether "blame" is the point at all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2004 11:06PM by .

My thoughts on the game
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 11:10PM

Disclaimer: I'm a little bit drunk right now, so I apologize in advance for any typos and grammatical errors.

- It's been a while since I've seen this team play this poorly. Unfortunately, it'll still be a while yet until I see this play well or poorly again. :-/
- Very poor puckhandling all around. Skating was off too, a lot of players seemed to be slipping more often than usual.
- The fourth Clarkson goal, for those who didn't see it, basically amounted to McKee not seeing where the puck was (it was right at the end of the goal, very near his stick, but he thought it was farther back behind the goal, and the Clarkson guy just picked it out and pushed it through McKee's legs). Very unfortunate, though I wouldn't call it soft really.
- I think I'd like to officially change my vote for POTY to Vesce. Even if he isn't scoring, he's obviously necessary just for his speed and his faceoffs. I just hope somebody (Iggy, Chris Abbott, Topher Scott, or even Pegs, hell even Bitz or Carefoot) can step up to replace him as the definitive Cornell faceoff guy.
- Clarkson was just faster and never let Cornell gain any momentum through each of tonight's and last night's game. So sad to watch, as you should all know well.
- What a disappointing way to end the season. I was really looking forward to taking to the ice and getting some autographs, too. I have Chris Abbott's away jersey from last year and wanted him to autograph it.
- Despite the disappointing loss, I am and will always be Lynah Faithful.

Re: My thoughts on the game
Date: March 14, 2004 11:12PM

[Q]Will Wrote:I think I'd like to officially change my vote for POTY to Vesce. Even if he isn't scoring, he's obviously necessary just for his speed and his faceoffs. [/Q]Excellent point. I think I'd do the same.

Posted by: dss28 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 14, 2004 11:15PM

[Q]Ryan Wrote:

Hey, the new fans can learn from this too. Not that anyone on elynah took part in this, but the “Season’s Over” chant Friday night was a little premature, too say the least (just like the keys in a one goal game earlier this year). [/Q]

[edit: I just saw that someone else responded that the "season's over" chant was directed at Nickerson... so nevermind]

The team really exceeded my expectations this season... and I can't wait for it to start up again :)

Also... I really liked the "We're still faithful" chant. I think that says it all.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2004 11:17PM by .

Date: March 14, 2004 11:42PM

From the USCHO recap:

Clarkson lost Matt Nickerson, who was checked hard, shoulder-to-shoulder, by Cornell's Shane Hynes late in the second period. Nickerson, the freshman who broke the ECAC single-season record for penalty minutes on Saturday, suffered a separated shoulder and his status is questionable for next weekend.

....someone else say it....

Posted by: sockralex (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2004 11:51PM

At first I thought he didn't come out b/c they didn't want him racking up the penalty minutes again. What goes around comes around - goon.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2004 01:10AM

Awwww, the poor thing. I don't think he's getting much sympathy here. I remarked during the chat tonight that I don't think we've had such enmity towards an individual player on an opposing team in quite a while. Boucher, perhaps. Here's hoping Nickerson doesn't become our nemesis for the next three years.

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2004 01:33AM

[q]Awwww, the poor thing. I don't think he's getting much sympathy here. I remarked during the chat tonight that I don't think we've had such enmity towards an individual player on an opposing team in quite a while. Boucher, perhaps. Here's hoping Nickerson doesn't become our nemesis for the next three years.[/q]

Yeah, but with any luck the injury will complicate and he'll never be able to walk again. that, and his mother ann and his sister Colleen are both cheap sluts. Thank God for the Chapter House.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2004 10:24AM

[Q]Dustin Traylen is officially one of my least favorite human beings. "I own you," he yelled over to Section A after the Knights' 5th goal, right after dancing around and making himself look like a buffoon.[/Q]

Seriously, if a Cornell player ever did anything like that, I would find it tough to root for them much longer.

Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.csuglab.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2004 10:46AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

From the USCHO recap:

Clarkson lost Matt Nickerson, who was checked hard, shoulder-to-shoulder, by Cornell's Shane Hynes late in the second period. Nickerson, the freshman who broke the ECAC single-season record for penalty minutes on Saturday, suffered a separated shoulder and his status is questionable for next weekend.

....someone else say it.... [/Q]
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, SEE YA, ASSHOLE... YOU GOON! :-( :-(

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: March 15, 2004 11:36AM

how the hell does Tralen think he owns us, when we scored 10 goals on him this weekend? how the hell does he think he owns us when this year's head to head record is 2-1-2? yes, his team won, they outplayed us, and they're going to the playoffs, but Traylen saying that he owns us is pretty ridiculous.

Posted by: dave '02 (204.255.187.---)
Date: March 15, 2004 11:42AM

In fact, after seeing how amazing they looked on Friday after alot of rest, and watching them the next day, it looked like we (Cornell) were a different team, a team without the topnotch defense we were spoiled by these last 3+ years. Lotsa questions following this weekend, but just gotta look ahead now.

Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.csuglab.cornell.edu)
Date: March 15, 2004 12:03PM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

how the hell does Tralen think he owns us, when we scored 10 goals on him this weekend? how the hell does he think he owns us when this year's head to head record is 2-1-2? yes, his team won, they outplayed us, and they're going to the playoffs, but Traylen saying that he owns us is pretty ridiculous. [/Q]
Clearly he didn't own us, but I think his reaction speaks volumes for just how much we got into his head over the weekend -- he had been so worked up that he took any opportunity he could get to taunt the crowd. When you're hounded like that for 3 days straight, you want a chance to give it back to the people who were dishing it out to you the whole time. That's why I was trying to encourage the people around me at the end of the game Sunday to keep all sights focused on our guys and applaud loudly for them, and not even turn a glance at the Clarkson players as they left the ice so as not to give them the satisfaction of rubbing it in eye-to-eye.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: March 15, 2004 12:31PM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

how the hell does Tralen think he owns us, when we scored 10 goals on him this weekend? how the hell does he think he owns us when this year's head to head record is 2-1-2? yes, his team won, they outplayed us, and they're going to the playoffs, but Traylen saying that he owns us is pretty ridiculous. [/Q]No more or less ridiculous than chanting "sucks" at a team that is about to knock you out of the playoffs. If we can dish it out, we have to be able to take it.

Posted by: underskill (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2004 05:25PM

Most people also missed Nickerson dangling his keys at Section A in the 3rd period when he was in street clothes, before one of the other Clarkson guys pointed out that he looked like a jackass

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: March 15, 2004 06:07PM

Wonder how McKee feels about Nickerson. They seemed really buddy during our last regular season weekend. Not that it really matters, but I wonder if he has much more sympathy for this goon than the rest of the team.

Posted by: BigD (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: March 15, 2004 11:27PM

[Q]calgARI '07 Wrote:

Lack of class from Schafer not putting Marr in after the fifth goal and Hornby on the ice for the end of the game. Very disappointed with that. [/Q]

Amen! Someone I shared that same thought with suggested that perhaps Schafer was too pissed to think of it. Maybe, who knows. Marr deserves a special award for sticking it out and should have had a chance to let the fans thank him.

Date: March 15, 2004 11:47PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Awwww, the poor thing. I don't think he's getting much sympathy here. I remarked during the chat tonight that I don't think we've had such enmity towards an individual player on an opposing team in quite a while. Boucher, perhaps. Here's hoping Nickerson doesn't become our nemesis for the next three years. [/Q]

I heard that Schafer told the folks at a recent Coaches Club lunch that he doubted Nickerson would be back next year. Too much of a liability was his assessment. I wasn't there, but it makes some sense. Despite the overall outcome of the weekend, the goon cost his team at least two 5-on-3 situations in one game. Regardless of whatever else he might bring to the game (and there isn't much), you can't have a player that stupid playing for you unless you can figure out how to build a team that can win consistently when they are two men down. His disappearance would not be a great loss for the hockey world. Perhaps he could find a job as a professional wrestler.

Date: March 15, 2004 11:54PM

[Q]Pete Godenschwager Wrote:

Dustin Traylen is officially one of my least favorite human beings. "I own you," he yelled over to Section A after the Knights' 5th goal, right after dancing around and making himself look like a buffoon.

Seriously, if a Cornell player ever did anything like that, I would find it tough to root for them much longer.
[/Q]

If a Cornell player ever did that, a) he wouldn't be a Cornell player any longer and b) a Cornell player would never do that in the first place. That's the difference between a goon squad like Clarkson and a hockey team like Cornell. If a Cornell player ever did that and wasn't suspended or removed from the team, I think it would be time to look for a new coach. Fortunately, I don't think we will have to worry about such a thing happening here.

Date: March 15, 2004 11:55PM

The reason Nickerson will not be back is because a QMJHL team wants him to leave Clarkson very badly and play there. If Clarkson could keep him, they would. We all hate him, but he is an outstanding hockey player. He has NHL potential, IMO.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2004 12:20AM

as much as we all get on players during the games and may not respect some for their actions on the ice, i would hate to think that anyone actually gets satisfaction in seeing someone, like nickerson, hurt. leave it in the stands.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2004 12:20AM

I don't know, he looked like a liability with the puck to me. He gave the puck away at least twice on Saturday, one leading to a SH breakaway and the other to a quality chance, and he coughed it up at least once on Sunday. Maybe he can be developed, but he'll be useless as a pro as he is now, especially as a defenseman.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.wan.networktel.net)
Date: March 16, 2004 12:59AM

[Q]BigD Wrote:
Marr deserves a special award for sticking it out and should have had a chance to let the fans thank him.
[/Q]
He did have that, at senior night.

Marr got jobbed out of two awards last season: all-tournament goaltender at the Everblades and TBRW?'s Terry Gage Award.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 16, 2004 01:37AM

1.) I hope Nickerson is back next season. The crowd getting on him all weekend was fun to watch, and it was definitely working. Recall, while the officials were talking to a coach or something, a thunderous "Nickerson sucks!" chant for about 30 seconds during Game 3, during which another Clarkson player skated over and put his arm around him to say something (presumably, not to let it bother him).

2.) I know people have said that Marr shouldn't be patronized by being put on the ice for a meaningless final minute of play. I respect Schafer, and maybe he had a reason for not doing it, but why couldn't he just have asked Todd if he wanted to go in? I don't think he did (though I can't be sure), but the reason I think he didn't is that Marr put his helmet on with a couple minutes left in the 3rd period. He never does that. So, all I'm saying is that he might have actually wanted to be on the ice.

Nevertheless, I'm convinced that Marr would have played if he were on several other college hockey teams (including a few in the ECAC). He deserved better than a .500 record last year, as in the two losses, we blew a third period lead in one, and had no discernible focus in the other, but at Cornell, he got a better education than at most schools, and he undoubtedly learned a lot from a couple great goaltenders in Matt Underhill and Dave LeNeveu. As for the other seniors, it was great watching them the last 3 years (for me). Vesce, Hornby, and Wallace aren't done though; they'll be playing hockey somewhere next year (definitely Vesce, assuming a quick and healthy recovery). I'm sure of it.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2004 07:43AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

Nevertheless, I'm convinced that Marr would have played if he were on several other college hockey teams (including a few in the ECAC). He deserved better than a .500 record last year, as in the two losses, we blew a third period lead in one, and had no discernible focus in the other, but at Cornell, he got a better education than at most schools, and he undoubtedly learned a lot from a couple great goaltenders in Matt Underhill and Dave LeNeveu. As for the other seniors, it was great watching them the last 3 years (for me). Vesce, Hornby, and Wallace aren't done though; they'll be playing hockey somewhere next year (definitely Vesce, assuming a quick and healthy recovery). I'm sure of it. [/Q]

Hornby somewhere where there is no suspension associated with dropping your gloves....there' s a scary thought.

Date: March 16, 2004 08:29AM

[Q]i would hate to think that anyone actually gets satisfaction in seeing someone, like nickerson, hurt. leave it in the stands.[/Q]

I got satisfaction out of it. If that makes me a bad person, then I guess I'll burn in hell, but I smiled when he held his shoulder in pain.

Posted by: Robb (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2004 09:14AM

Given that he got hurt, I'm at least glad that it happened on a clean check. Does that let me skip hell and spend a couple years in the off-season, er, I mean purgatory instead?:-/

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.pac.mannlib.cornell.edu)
Date: March 16, 2004 09:31AM

[Q]I respect Schafer, and maybe he had a reason for not doing it, but why couldn't he just have asked Todd if he wanted to go in? I don't think he did (though I can't be sure), but the reason I think he didn't is that Marr put his helmet on with a couple minutes left in the 3rd period. He never does that. So, all I'm saying is that he might have actually wanted to be on the ice. [/Q]

Actually, I think Marr always seems to put on his helmet during the last few minutes of the game (at least as far as I can tell from the random pictures that I take.)

Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2004 08:57PM

[Q]RedAR Wrote:

Wonder how McKee feels about Nickerson. They seemed really buddy during our last regular season weekend. Not that it really matters, but I wonder if he has much more sympathy for this goon than the rest of the team. [/Q]

I talked to McKee at an afterglow this year...he described Nickerson as a meathead.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 16, 2004 10:13PM

[Q]Bio '04 Wrote:

Actually, I think Marr always seems to put on his helmet during the last few minutes of the game (at least as far as I can tell from the random pictures that I take.) [/Q]

I believe you're right. He probably does so at least so that he's wearing the helmet when the game is over and he's ready for the stick-raising. It's also possible he might be anticipating going in for a few minutes at the end of a game, if Cornell has a large lead and McKee isn't sitting on a potential shutout.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2004 12:19PM

Nickerson didn't seem to give a crap about potential injuries when he was on the ice hacking away at Cornell players. So I'm not going give one in turn for his injury. Mmmm... karma...

Posted by: The Rancor (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2004 01:24PM

interesting fact that Nickerson was teammates on the Texas Tornadoes with Dave McKee last year.... any of you pregame taunters know that?

Date: March 17, 2004 03:01PM

yeah, it's been on a couple threads so far

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login