Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

All Ivy Teams Announced

Posted by Dart~Ben 
All Ivy Teams Announced
Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:31PM

First Team
Forward: Matt Moulson, Cornell, So. (Mississauga, Ont.)*
Forward: Ryan Vesce, Cornell, Sr. (Lloyd Harbor, N.Y.)
Forward: Lee Stempniak, Dartmouth, Jr. (West Seneca, N.Y.)
Defense: Scott Ford, Brown, Sr. (Fort St. John, B.C.)
Defense: Grant Lewis, Dartmouth, Fr. (Upper St. Clair, Pa.)
Goalie: Yann Danis, Brown, Sr. (St. Jerome, Que.)*

Second Team
Forward: Brent Robinson, Brown, Sr. (Pointe Claire, Que.)
Forward: Les Haggett, Brown, Jr. (Norwood, N.Y.)
Forward: Hugh Jessiman, Dartmouth, So. (Darien, Conn.)
Defense: Charlie Cook, Cornell, Jr. (Port Huron, Mich.)
Defense: Noah Welch, Harvard, Jr. (Brighton, Mass.)
Goalie: David McKee, Cornell, Fr. (Irving, Texas)

Honorable Mention
Tim Pettit, Harvard (Sr., F, Seattle, Wash.); Tom Cavanagh, Harvard (Jr., F, Warwick, R.I.); Vince Macri, Brown (Sr., D, Durham, N.H.); Matt Maglione, Princeton (Sr., D, Fayetteville, N.Y.); Jeff Dwyer, Yale (Sr., D, New Canaan, Conn.)

Player of the Year
Yann Danis, Brown (Sr., G, St. Jerome, Que.)

Rookie of the Year
Brian Ihnacak, Brown (F, Toronto, Ont.)

* = unanimous selection

Re: All Ivy Teams Announced
Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:33PM

Quick question regarding the logic involved here...how does Ihnacak get RoY, but not get placed on either All-Ivy team? Or vice versa, how do Lewis and McKee make it onto the All-Ivy teams, but not get RoY?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:39PM

I guess the powers that be consider Ihnacak, who is the 9th-best forward in the Ivies at best, to still be better than the second-best defenseman or second-best goalie.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:45PM

A better question might be how in God's name does Jeremy Downs not even get an honorable mention?

Posted by: Ben Rocky Harris 04 (128.253.41.---)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:50PM

What a load. McKee unquestionably is the rookie of the year: for several weekends this year he was all that stood between Cornell and a 6 or 8th place ECAC finish.

Also....
'unanimous' selection for Danis ???

Posted by: Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 (---.ngs.org)
Date: March 03, 2004 02:53PM

The geography of this list is fascinating.

The decline of Ontario as a source of the best D-I hockey talent continues to be apparent. Canadians of all stripes represent only 5 of the 18 players on the list. (Shoot, even two-thirds of the Cornellians on the All-Ivy team are American.) And who woulda thunk that the good ol' Mid Atlantic states would be so heavily represented. New York and Pennsylvania contributed five times as many players as the traditional US D-I feeder states, Massachusetts and Minnesota -- and three of those Mid Atlantic guys are on the first team. I remember the days when every single player on the All-Ivy and All-ECAC teams were from Ontario or Massachusetts.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 03, 2004 03:52PM

[q]What a load. McKee unquestionably is the rookie of the year: for several weekends this year he was all that stood between Cornell and a 6 or 8th place ECAC finish[/q]

These are just the Ivy Teams and don't reflect what the players did in non-Ivy play. If you look at the stats of Danis in Ivy games [www.collegehockeystats.com]

he's considerably better than McKee

[q]A better question might be how in God's name does Jeremy Downs not even get an honorable mention?[/q]

As for this one, I think that the powers-that-be just looked at the defensemen scoring stats. Downs didn't score or assist on goals in Ivy games. I guess that's why the ECAC has awards such as the "defensive defensemen" or "defensive forward" things.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 03:55PM

Didn't realize collegehockeystats.com had a separate Ivy section. That's nice. (Maybe they should add a Big Ten category as well ;-))

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 03:58PM

Chris '02 wrote:
As for this one, I think that the powers-that-be just looked at the defensemen scoring stats. Downs didn't score or assist on goals in Ivy games. I guess that's why the ECAC has awards such as the "defensive defensemen" or "defensive forward" things.
If that's the case, I have a hard time seeing how Welch (4 points) got in on anything but reputation, when 8 defensemen outscored him.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 04:02PM

Josh Herman '99 wrote:

If that's the case, I have a hard time seeing how Welch (4 points) got in on anything but reputation, when 8 defensemen outscored him.

To rectify this, we should start www.jeremydowns.com, and garner Hobey Baker hopeful attention to this guy who we know is a great player.

Oh, wait, we're not Brown. rolleyes

Posted by: Ben Rocky Harris 04 (128.253.41.---)
Date: March 03, 2004 04:22PM

Yes, you're right. Danis has a better Ivy GAA, which I did not know.
But Yann is the experienced senior. McKee, a freshman, tied him once, and to me is a much more impressive goaltender considering how he was thrown into the deep end at the beginning of the season, and preformed admirably.

I guess I am just a little biased towards Cornell skaters......

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 03, 2004 04:41PM

At all levels, these things tend to totally favor only defensemen with good offensive numbers. The Norris trophy for best defenseman in the NHL pretty much always (in the last 25 years) goes to a blueliner in the top 10 (usually top 5) in defense scoring. In college, how can anyone possibly make these picks for IVY or ECAC or All American or Hobey when 90% of the voters have only seen a couple candidates play regularly? It's almost all based totally on numbers. Defensive defenseman rarely get recognized. I do like the defensive defenseman of the year award that the ECAC gives out.

Date: March 03, 2004 04:45PM

Purely based on reputation. Murray was obviously outstanding last year, but to everyone that voted, he was a no-brainer for All American, defensman of the year, etc. And this may sound ridiculous to some, but LeNeveu was not the MVP of the ECAC last year and certainly not the MVP in the playoffs, but based on his spectacular numbers, he got it without question.
I wanna know how anyone can vote on these awards considering the people that vote barely see most of these players play. It has no merit. Purely based on reputation and stats.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 04:57PM

Sure, the voters don't see the players play much. but no one does. So it's either uninformed voting or no voting. At least in the case of All-Ivy selections the coaches have seen each player play 20% of his teams games.

Date: March 03, 2004 05:18PM

I, like everyone else, wants something in the way of post season awards, so we'll take the uninformed voting, but it is definitely uninformed.
You said the coaches vote for IVY selections. Who votes for ECAC selections? All Americans? I know media votes for the Hobey (which is ridiculous).

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 05:29PM

calgARI '07 wrote:

I know media votes for the Hobey (which is ridiculous).
I recall that it is a combination of media, coaches, and scouts, (and, of course, the fan voting).

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 07:06PM

Griping aside, it's hard to argue against anybody on the two all-Ivy teams. The voters did a conservative job, no surprise.

Post Edited (03-03-04 19:06)

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 07:06PM

To those who follow men’s D1 lacrosse this type of parity is quite familiar ...

Three seasons ago the RotY was given to Ryan Boyle (Princeton ’04): STX/USILA Third-Team All-American, 16G, 37A and a national championship.
While fellow freshman Michael Powell (Syracuse ’04): STX/USILA First-Team All-American(the only freshman on the first team) ... recipient of the Jack Turnbull Award (given to the best attackman in the country) ... selected to the NCAA All-Tournament Team ... 30G & 40A … lost national championship game to Princeton in overtime.

You do the math … it’s not tough to see Bill Tierney’s b*tching & crying actually got him more than a delay of game or a lose-ball push. screwy

There is definitely a backroom somewhere … uhoh

Post Edited (03-03-04 19:25)

Date: March 03, 2004 07:28PM

Fun facts:

First Brown Ivy POTY since 1995 (Ryan Mulhern)
First Brown Ivy ROTY since 1995 (Jimmy Andersson -- no I don't remember him either)
Dartmouth & Princeton have a combined 2 Ivy PsOTY in 25 selections.
Last Ivy ROTY to go on to Ivy POTY was J. R. Prestifilippo (97 and 2000)
Cornell has had at least 2 All-Ivy (1st team) for 4 consecutive years
First pair of Cornell All-Ivy (1st team) forwards since 1997 (Knopp and Auger)
Just the third time in the last 10 years that Cornell had zero first team D.

Cornell All-Ivy: [members.cox.net]
First team All-Ivy: [members.cox.net]
Ivy Awards: [members.cox.net]

Post Edited (03-03-04 19:46)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 07:45PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:

Fun facts:

First pair of Cornell All-Ivy (1st team) forwards since 1997 (Knopp and Auger)
Just the third time in the last 10 years that Cornell had zero first team D.
Proof-positive that Cornell was an offensive powerhouse this year.B-]

It is interesting that our Ivy goals-per-game average was 3.6. [Thanks P and Y.]

Date: March 03, 2004 07:47PM

The Vesce 7 point game helped. A lot.

Date: March 03, 2004 08:03PM

Number of First Team All-Ivy players in the Schafer Era (POTY in parens):

18 (4) Cornell
11 (1) Harvard
10 (3) Yale
09 (0) Dartmouth
06 (0) Princeton
05 (1) Brown

Post Edited (03-03-04 20:05)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2004 08:27PM

Ben '03 wrote:

Three seasons ago the RotY was given to Ryan Boyle (Princeton ’04): STX/USILA Third-Team All-American, 16G, 37A and a national championship.
While fellow freshman Michael Powell (Syracuse ’04): STX/USILA First-Team All-American(the only freshman on the first team) ... r
There is definitely a backroom somewhere … uhoh

Well, the voters probably didn't look to closely and thought it said Ryan Powell. ;-)

Hey Ben, you wanna come up from the city and play on our club team? Here's our schedule:

March 28th at West Haven vs. Conn Masters Team
April 10th vs. Conn Master's Team
April 17th at Mitchell (real game, refs, should be great)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 03, 2004 08:32PM

[Q]Number of First Team All-Ivy players in the Schafer Era (POTY in parens):

18 (4) Cornell
11 (1) Harvard
10 (3) Yale
09 (0) Dartmouth
06 (0) Princeton
05 (1) Brown[/Q]Which makes sense, since the number of Ivy titles is:

Cornell - 5
Harvard - 1
Yale - 3
Dartmouth - 0
Princeton - 1
Brown - 1

(counting shared titles in '99 and '04).

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 04, 2004 11:39AM

Ihnacak *could* have won ROTY without being first or second team All-Ivy (compared to McKee being second team All-Ivy and not ROTY) if the voters felt the depth of quality among forwards was so great that someone not among the first or second team of forwards was still better than a second-team goalie or defenseman.

That's how it could have happened.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login