Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LeNeveu's GAA record in jeopardy?

Posted by JordanCS 
LeNeveu's GAA record in jeopardy?
Posted by: JordanCS (---.dialin.de.kpnqwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2004 12:15AM

I can't help but notice that Maine goaltender Jim Howard is coming awfully close to Dave's GAA record...he's at 1.27 right now, and with a few more 1 goal games could drop below 1.20. How much would that suck to have his record only stand a year, after breaking one that stood for so long? Especially since he's the second string goalie, only starting less than half of Maine's games.

Jordan

Re: LeNeveu's GAA record in jeopardy?
Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2004 12:32AM

But HOW do you only win 8 of 14 games with a 1.27 GAA and a .949 save percentage?!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2004 06:30AM

A good way to start is to lose three 1-0 games: [www.uscho.com]

Post Edited (03-02-04 06:31)

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2004 06:49AM

If Jim Howard, no relation, gives up 2 goals in his next game, the average goes up about .07 to 1.35. If he gets one shutout and plays no more during the year, he'd finish around 1.18. He's played 14.2 games (852.19, 18GA) counting OT and each one goal game he plays in a 60-minute game drops his average roughly to 1.25, 1.23, 1.22. In the playoffs, except maybe in an early round, I don't think you'll see many one-goal-scoring opponents. First, they play a pair vs. BC this weekend. Maybe Howard can try his luck in one of those games.

Statistics are funny things. When you look at the Cornell stats alone, Todd Marr is listed higher because his average is 1.000% and 0.0 GAA.

Sheesh, that must be a bear for Marr, being a backup four years running. Brian Cropper must have thought it sucked being backup to Ken Dryden all those years, except in Cropper's case, he stuck around one more year and went 29-0. Dryden still gets credit for the 29-0 season as much as Cropper, of course.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 02, 2004 08:04AM

Bill Howard wrote:

Brian Cropper must have thought it sucked being backup to Ken Dryden all those years, except in Cropper's case, he stuck around one more year and went 29-0.
Cropper was backup to Dryden only in the 68-69 season (2-0 in five games). He was #1 in the matchless 69-70 season and again in 70-71.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: March 02, 2004 08:48AM

You're right. I forgot that he ended his career as Dick Bertrand's player in the lost season of 1970-71, not as Dick Bertrand's teammate. At least he didn't have to suffer through 1972's horror of being up 5-2 on Wisconsin with 19 minutes to go in the NCAA semis and lose 6-5 in OT. I think that was the end of the Big Red dynasty.

Date: March 02, 2004 08:52AM

Bill Howard wrote:

At least he didn't have to suffer through 1972's horror of being up 5-2 on Wisconsin with 19 minutes to go in the NCAA semis and lose 6-5 in OT. I think that was the end of the Big Red dynasty.
That was 1973, but it was still a horror--and the end of the dynasty. The 1972 team lost to BU in the finals.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: March 02, 2004 08:58AM

For those who want to relive it: [members.cox.net]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2004 09:02AM

Maine has two games coming up with BC this weekend. That's been a good way to give up some goals this year.

Date: March 02, 2004 10:14AM

Heh! I'm off by about one year on every circa 1970 hockey event. Of couse, President Bush is having trouble accounting for a year of so of his life back then, also. I completely blanked on the BU - Cornell game. Shock does that to you. My partial recall is that year Cornell beat BU during the regular season, then BU turned the trick on Cornell come playoff time. Amazing how long that's been - why it seems like only yesterday BU was moving into a new arena, and now they're about to move into another new arena. Has anyone been to BU lately? I don't recall the fans filling Walter Brown, so I'm curious how many seats they'll now that it's nearly twice as big.

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2004 10:23AM

isnt there a minimum game total you need for your stats to be considered for records? help

Date: March 02, 2004 10:24AM

Bill Howard wrote:

Heh! I'm off by about one year on every circa 1970 hockey event. Of couse, President Bush is having trouble accounting for a year of so of his life back then, also. I completely blanked on the BU - Cornell game. Shock does that to you. My partial recall is that year Cornell beat BU during the regular season, then BU turned the trick on Cornell come playoff time. Amazing how long that's been - why it seems like only yesterday BU was moving into a new arena, and now they're about to move into another new arena. Has anyone been to BU lately? I don't recall the fans filling Walter Brown, so I'm curious how many seats they'll now that it's nearly twice as big.
Time flies, whether you're havin' fun or not.

Walter Brown still doesn't fill frequently. Suspect a new arena is necessary for the recruiting wars with UNH and BC. As I recall, WB was built for basketball, not hockey--and still looks it.

Date: March 02, 2004 10:49AM

[q]isnt there a minimum game total you need for your stats to be considered for records?[/q]

collegehockeystats.com uses one-third of team's minutes as the baseline for category leaders, but I do not know if that's official.

Post Edited (03-02-04 10:49)

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: March 02, 2004 11:57AM

Al DeFlorio wrote:

Bill Howard wrote:

At least he didn't have to suffer through 1972's horror of being up 5-2 on Wisconsin with 19 minutes to go in the NCAA semis and lose 6-5 in OT. I think that was the end of the Big Red dynasty.
That was 1973, but it was still a horror--and the end of the dynasty. The 1972 team lost to BU in the finals.

1973 was a horror, as was 1972's losses to BU at the ECAC and NCAA tourneys in the old Gahden (...da-da-da...SCREW BU!). I still remember thinking we had it wrapped up against Wisconsin in the '73 semi, late in the game...until they tied it. But even then, we had a 2-on-none breakaway in OT...and didn't convert. Yeah, that pretty much ended that run of the dynasty.

Date: March 02, 2004 12:35PM

I think the key is getting Howard some serious game time against BC this weekend. Except for 2 SOs they suffered, BC has put in at least 2 goals in every game, albeit twice they needed OT t get the second goal. And when they faced Howard earlier this season, they got 4. Don't you think Jim deserves a chance to make up for that little blemish...maybe with another 4-goal loss?

These should be some exciting games, what with BC trying to regain the #1 ranking and Maine nipping at their heels. I'd look for a split. And let's hope that however it turns out, the Eagles give Jim one heck of an exciting evening.

Date: March 02, 2004 02:35PM

1973: Murray, Cornell's huge All-America defenseman (talk about same-name deja vu in reverse) blasts in a slap shot from the point 40 seconds in the third period to make it 5-2 Cornll over Wisconsin and there's no way, no way, you're thinking, that Cornell won't go all the way.

Basically, that was it for Cornell's glory in the NCAAs until McEneaney and French teamed up in 1976 and 1977 and brought glory to Cornell in Canada's initial national pasttime (you can look it up).

Imagine what could have been in the 1970s:

NCAA titles in hockey 1970, 72 (coulda been), 73 (coulda been) which would have produced more recruits for the late 1970s. Maybe not 1973; BU was better.

NCAA titles in lax 1971, 1976, 1977. Also 1975 had freshmen (McEneaney) been eligible in the Ivies; possibly 1974 had French been able to play as a freshman and Jim Trenz, the incredible transfer from Penn State, could have run midfield instead of attack. It wouldn't have made Bill Tierney's run at Princeton look so incredible in the '90s.

We ought to start a thread of Cornell's most depressing moments in sports. Like say the 4-3 game with Denver in 1969.

Date: March 02, 2004 03:17PM

In "The Game," Dryden said that Denver loss was the biggest regret of his entire hockey career: [members.cox.net]

Post Edited (03-02-04 15:17)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2004 06:10PM

Bill Howard wrote:
in Canada's initial national pasttime (you can look it up).

Try telling your 8th grade penpal that you play Kanadischenationalballspiel... B-]

(and yes, that is one of the 5 words I can remember in spite of having taken 4 years of German)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 02, 2004 06:13PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:
Kanadischenationalballspiel... B-]
Eishockey wird aber mit keinem Ball, sondern mit einer Scheibe, gespielt.
:-P

Date: March 03, 2004 11:48AM

Bill Howard wrote:

NCAA titles in hockey 1970, 72 (coulda been), 73 (coulda been) which would have produced more recruits for the late 1970s. Maybe not 1973; BU was better.

You did mean 1972, when saying BU was better, right? They killed us in the ECACs and NCAAs, so there's no way I could have seen us winning that year. And while it's true that in 1973 I watched the worst pasting I ever remember a Cornell team taking (the 9-0 BU loss that's in the record books as a Cornell win), BU's season went south with the ineligible player debacle (too bad we didn't get Titanic reinstated instead and let them keep their wins). So I don't think it was the BU factor that year; it was the near-miss against Wisconsin that did us in. That one should have been ours. We'd have handled Denver.

Date: March 03, 2004 06:18PM

Killer wrote:

Bill Howard wrote:

You did mean 1972, when saying BU was better, right? They killed us in the ECACs and NCAAs, so there's no way I could have seen us winning that year. And while it's true that in 1973 I watched the worst pasting I ever remember a Cornell team taking (the 9-0 BU loss that's in the record books as a Cornell win), BU's season went south with the ineligible player debacle (too bad we didn't get Titanic reinstated instead and let them keep their wins). So I don't think it was the BU factor that year; it was the near-miss against Wisconsin that did us in. That one should have been ours. We'd have handled Denver.
Having sat with Dick Bertrand watching Denver crush BC 10-4 the night before the Wisconsin game, I can tell you Dick wasn't so sure we were going to "handle" Denver.

Date: March 03, 2004 07:38PM

Having sat with Dick Bertrand watching Denver crush BC 10-4 the night before the Wisconsin game, I can tell you Dick wasn't so sure we were going to "handle" Denver.

Denver was tough, but first of all, unless I'm mistaken, they weren't radically different from what they'd been the year before. Cornell and BU demonstrated in 1972 that the "big" western teams didn't really have anything over the smaller, quicker eastern teams. Why would 1973 have been different? And Wisconsin, having squeaked by Cornell, didn't get blown out by Denver, as did BC. In fact, they won 4-2.

I'm not saying it would have been an easy victory by any means. But having watched all those games, you'll never convince me that Cornell wasn't at least the second best team in that tourney. And trust me, I'm not putting Denver into contention for number 1.

Date: March 03, 2004 08:56PM

Killer wrote:

Denver was tough, but first of all, unless I'm mistaken, they weren't radically different from what they'd been the year before. Cornell and BU demonstrated in 1972 that the "big" western teams didn't really have anything over the smaller, quicker eastern teams. Why would 1973 have been different? And Wisconsin, having squeaked by Cornell, didn't get blown out by Denver, as did BC. In fact, they won 4-2.

I'm not saying it would have been an easy victory by any means. But having watched all those games, you'll never convince me that Cornell wasn't at least the second best team in that tourney. And trust me, I'm not putting Denver into contention for number 1.
First off, I'm not convinced we weren't the best team in that tournament. But what can be said for sure is that we'll never know.

One key factor in the third period collapse against Wisconsin was that Bertrand, concerned that for the second year in a row Cornell was playing the second night's semifinal--meaning the other semifinal winner (BU in 1972) would get an extra day's rest--was trying to give his top guns as much rest as possible during that third period. He gambled--and lost.

Unlike 1972 when Cornell and BU handled both western teams relatively easily, Denver utterly blew out a BC team that had held Cornell to a 3-2 ECAC championship game win the week before. It was a worse beating than the lopsided score indicates. And Denver--contrary to what Greg shows in the TBRW records--had won the WCHA tournament championship easily the week before, and was ranked #1 in the country. Wisconsin, IMHO, rode a huge high resulting from the incredible comeback win over us to beat Denver in the finals.

Could we have beaten Denver? Of course. But is there basis for saying with certainty "we would have handled them?" I don't think so. What I can tell you with absolute certainty, Killer, is that Bertrand was in no way as confident as you are. Then again, he was only the coach. What did he know?

Edit: Actually, there probably was not a WCHA tournament winner back then. They may have still been playing only to the equivalent of two "semifinal" games to determine their two NCAA teams. Denver was the higher-seeded of the two western teams, so they were paired against the #2 team in the east, BC, while ECAC champ Cornell drew the west's #2, Wisconsin. Denver did win the MacNaughton Cup, or regular season WCHA championship, in 1972-3.

Post Edited (03-03-04 21:09)

Date: March 05, 2004 09:11PM

With 13:00 left in the 3rd, Howard is throwing a shutout at BC, even surviving 6 PPs.

Come on, Eagles, get with the program!

----------------------------------------------------------------

...and he finishes it off at 3-0, 21 saves.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2004 12:45AM by .

Posted by: Avash (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2004 03:58AM

form the front page of USCHO.com:

In Hockey East, Maine goalie Jim Howard shut out Boston College 3-0 to lower his goals against average into striking distance of the NCAA record held by David LeNeveu

uhoh

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 06, 2004 04:36AM

[Q]Avash '05 Wrote:

form the front page of USCHO.com:

In Hockey East, Maine goalie Jim Howard shut out Boston College 3-0 to lower his goals against average into striking distance of the NCAA record held by David LeNeveu

[/Q]

As all of us in #lynah earlier were saying while trying to keep up with the ECAC games going on, "Why the fuck can't BC score?!" Normally, I'd love to give BC a mocking "It's Friday night and you can't score!", but not when it means Lenny's record might be on the line. I swear, this team had better score like six goals on Maine tomorrow night. (Unless it's Doyle in net...actually, yeah, they'd still better score six goals, just to help keep Maine's other hot goalie down.)

Date: March 06, 2004 11:46AM

well here are the stats
gp=15
minutes to be more exact=912:19 or ~912 1/3 minutes = 15.2 gp
goals allowed =18
current gaa=1.18
so...
if he gets a shutout and plays 60 minutes
972 1/3 minutes with 18 ga = 18/16.2=1.11111
if he lets in one and plays a full 60
972 1/3 with 19ga =19/16.2 = 1.17
if he lets in one goal and it goes into overtime, he ties david if they play amost full extra period (18.9 minutes or so long).
so...let us hope he either doesnt start or lets in one or more goals. i still am not sure if the record will fall if he only plays 15/36 games but maybe i am wrong?
go bc!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2004 11:47AM by .

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 06, 2004 12:15PM

I think the plan is to start Doyle tonight, as it's senior night there. At least that's what someone said on the USCHO game thread.

Date: March 06, 2004 08:02PM

Doyle in goal for Maine in the Saturday game with BC.

Date: March 06, 2004 11:15PM

and HE starts playoffs next week -> LeNeveu still has the record? help

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2004 12:05AM

So I suppose if Maine starts Doyle the rest of the season, Howard will get the record. Think they will do that?

Date: March 07, 2004 12:37AM

no i thought lenny was at 1.15, howard is at 1.18 now. or do i have the wrong number. i hope not! doh help

Posted by: Bahnstorm (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2004 12:47AM

I think Dave's was 1.20.

Date: March 07, 2004 01:19AM

[Q]Bahnstorm Wrote:

I think Dave's was 1.20. [/Q]

I believe that is the right number. With Howard now down to 1.18, we definitely need some help. Unfortunately, I don't know that Merrimack is likely to do it for us. On the positive side, though, it's highly unlikely that Merrimack is going to bump Maine off with a couple of 1-0 wins, and end Howard's season (let's hope he doesn't throw a couple SOs their way). So Maine will likely go to the next round and face a stronger opponent. If Merrimack doesn't let him get away unscathed, maybe one of the UMass teams can light him up a bit and push that number back up. 1.18 is very impressive, but oh-so-hard to maintain.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 07, 2004 02:58AM

Lenny's ECAC GAA was 1.15, but his overall was 1.20.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 07, 2004 10:29AM

gotcha beeeej, thanks :)

Re: LeNeveu's... Howard SO BU 1-0
Date: March 19, 2004 08:03PM

Just finsihed watching HE semi. Jim Howard got another SO, 1-0 against BU tonight.

Re: LeNeveu's... Howard SO BU 1-0
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2004 08:15PM

Howard sucks... :-P rolleyes ;-) :-( nut

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2004 11:17PM

So, it looks like Howard's next game will be in the first round of the NCAAs vs the ECAC champion. If he gives up 3 goals and doesn't play again, his GAA will be 1.2084, compared to Lenny's record of 1.2023. Screw BU, anyway. :-(

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2004 11:31PM

yeah i also do not like how he has only started 17 games and may have the record...

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2004 01:42AM

[Q]jy3 Wrote:

yeah i also do not like how he has only started 17 games and may have the record...
[/Q]Is there a minimum games requirement for NCAA goaltending records?

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2004 01:58AM

1/3 of the team's total games gets you in the top 10 statistics, so that probably qualifies you for the award too.

Date: March 20, 2004 08:19AM

[Q]Section A Banshee Wrote:

1/3 of the team's total games gets you in the top 10 statistics, so that probably qualifies you for the award too. [/Q]

That's for USCHO's statistics. Does that apply to whoever keeps the NCAA records?

Howard in goal against UMass
Date: March 20, 2004 07:12PM

Looks like Whitehead decided to break the pattern tonight and start Howard instead of Doyle. Game just underway.

Re: Howard in goal against UMass
Posted by: Avash (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 20, 2004 07:37PM

Massachusetts appeared to have scored on Howard, but the goal was waved off (crease violation. Score is 0-0 with less than 5 mins to go in the 1st period

Over in the CCHA, Montoya and Caruso are putting on quite a show (and that game is 0-0 at the end of the first)

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 21, 2004 01:02AM

Just back from the Hockey East Championship game, a five-hour thriller and I have to say that besides being surprised that Howard got the start in net even with the SO last night because of the rotating goalies, I have to be surprised at just how good he is. Not taking anything away from Lenny, but if the NCAA feels he played enough games to officially take the record than so be it after watching him play the last two days.

He played eight and a half periods in a 30-hour span giving up just 1 goal on over 90 shots. He did let a few more pucks go for rebounds than his counterpart for UMass. who was returning after missing a few games due to an injury. However, Howard just seemed to snatch many pucks out of the air seeing the puck extremely well.

Howard was named the Hockey East Tournament MVP and of course, the goalie on the All-Tournament Team. I'd have to say that Tim Whitehead has found his goalie for the playoffs. That's good if goals get past him and if they don't, then he deserves the lower GAA.

Posted by: Redscore (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:11PM

Another reason to root for Harvard. Howard pulled after 2 = GAA of 1.21 vs Lenny at 1.20.

Date: March 26, 2004 07:23PM

[Q]Redscore Wrote:

Another reason to root for Harvard. Howard pulled after 2 = GAA of 1.21 vs Lenny at 1.20. [/Q]

Actually, I make it 1.2185, so round off to 1.22.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Redscore (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: March 26, 2004 07:24PM

i stand corrected. But... Harvard's not doing its part right now.

If you're Whitehead...
Date: March 27, 2004 01:38AM

...who do you start in net against Wisconsin?

Re: If you're Whitehead...
Date: March 27, 2004 07:22AM

[Q]Killer Wrote:

...who do you start in net against Wisconsin? [/Q]

Doyle, no question. In fact, barring serious disaster, I'd start Doyle for the rest of the tournament. He's a great goalie in his own right, not to mention he's a senior. If Howard's as good a goalie as his numbers claim him to be, he'll be able to prove it again next season.

Date: March 27, 2004 08:58AM

I agree with going with Doyle partly to see Lenny's record stand but Maine's offense is not particularly known for being a juggernaut if Howard lets up 4 goals again. I don't think they can expect to score 5 goals against Wisconsin. But who knows - UAA beat Wisconsin twice and then last night's sleeper. snore

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.equityresources.com)
Date: March 27, 2004 11:01AM

Thanks Harvard for keeping Lenny's record alive!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2004 05:56PM

I've heard Howard will be starting tonight.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 27, 2004 11:42PM

Howard started and gave up one goal in 63:27

25 / (1245.216666666667 / 60 ) = 1.2046

Someone above said Lenny was 1.2023 . So that's close :). If Howard can get through the FF averaging less than 1.20 GAA, then he's a worth adversary.

-Fred

Date: March 30, 2004 08:58AM

Howard faces the same task Lenny did - playing in the Frozen Four and keeping your GAA low. Lenny had more room for error to break Bob Peters record. Howard has no room for error. Somehow I don't think that's what he's thinking about as most players would give back individual records for team titles. Then again, if he broke Lenny's mark, he would just about have to lead Maine to the national title. But then again, we've already had the first 0-0 end of regulation tie in NCAA history and came very close to a second one with Denver-No Dak

Date: March 31, 2004 02:18PM

I wonder if Howard is more than remotely aware of the all-time GAA record? Is he thinking, "Better I should lose 1-0 and get the record than win two games 3-2 and finish number two to some Ivy Leaguer?" It happens, it happens. Even Bob Beamon's 29-foot triple jump record went by the wayside eventually. Which kind of begs the question as to what existing records (sports) are least likely to fall? Every time or distance record gets beaten. I think my money is on the .400 batting average staying inviolate.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: March 31, 2004 03:29PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

I wonder if Howard is more than remotely aware of the all-time GAA record? Is he thinking, "Better I should lose 1-0 and get the record than win two games 3-2 and finish number two to some Ivy Leaguer?" It happens, it happens. Even Bob Beamon's 29-foot triple jump record went by the wayside eventually. Which kind of begs the question as to what existing records (sports) are least likely to fall? Every time or distance record gets beaten. I think my money is on the .400 batting average staying inviolate. [/Q]

Bob Beamon was a long jumper.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:16PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
I think my money is on the .400 batting average staying inviolate. [/Q]

Hm. The .400 mark has been challanged every decade though. I think someone can get the right combination of skill and luck to get it. The real "records that will never be broken" are the ones set before a significant change in the sport occurred. Cy Young wins record of 511 career wins will never even be sniffed, for example. Same for the single-season record for wins (59 in 1884 by a man named Charley Radbourn).

Date: March 31, 2004 04:24PM

Mea culpa. Yeah, even I could probably triple jump 29 feet.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:40PM

Rickey says nobody gonna break Rickey's records.

Posted by: RichH (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2004 04:42PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:
Rickey says nobody gonna break Rickey's records. [/Q]
Rickey's gonna keep playing so nobody can catch up to Rickey.

Date: March 31, 2004 04:46PM

If the ban on steroids - the steroids that no MLB slugger seems to admit to using - takes hold, a repeat of 75 home runs could take a long time.

As for batting average, Tony Gwynn got to what, .394 circa 1994, but that still makes it sixty-plus years no one has hit .400.

A lot of the records are broken because there are more games played (not that Roger Maris deserved an asterisk next to his record). Marinaro would have been the first player to run for 2000 yards in a single season and over 6,000 yards rushing career (7,000?) if he'd played 10 games for each of four years, not nine games for three. When he averaged 210 yards a game senior year, wasn't the old record 174 by OJ Simpson. Critics say Ed got his in the Ivy League, but I still recall the quote in Sports Illustrated about his numbers: "That'd be a lot of yards even against tackling dummies."

There ought to be records for how much you break old records by.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: March 31, 2004 05:17PM

A pet peeve of mine is references here and in the media to .400 being a record that will/will not be broken. "Batting .400" is not a record; "the highest batting average in a season" is a record.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 06:13PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

A pet peeve of mine is references here and in the media to .400 being a record that will/will not be broken. "Batting .400" is not a record; "the highest batting average in a season" is a record. [/Q]That said, I think it's safe to say that that .440 (pre-1900, Hugh Duffy in 1894) and .424 (post-1900, Rogers Hornsby, 1924) are both records that also won't be broken.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: March 31, 2004 06:34PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Mea culpa. Yeah, even I could probably triple jump 29 feet. [/Q]Then you're in much better shape than I am.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2004 07:05PM

[Q]ugarte Wrote:

billhoward Wrote:

Mea culpa. Yeah, even I could probably triple jump 29 feet. Then you're in much better shape than I am.

The artist formerly known as big red apple [/Q]

Yeah I ran track and cross country at Cornell, but did some triple jumping in high school. I think I made it up to about 36 feet. Obviously long distance running was more my forte. Scary to think that one guy could do one jump about as far as I could do three.

Date: March 31, 2004 08:20PM

[Q]CUlater 89 Wrote:

A pet peeve of mine is references here and in the media to .400 being a record that will/will not be broken. "Batting .400" is not a record; "the highest batting average in a season" is a record. [/Q]

Sports historians keep records of events that are memorable because they involve round numbers: first four-minute mile, first 18-foot pole vault (okay, not exactly round), eventually the six-meter pole vault. Wilt Chamberlain blessed both sides of the argument by scoring a nice round 100 points. If the record book didn't list the last time someone hit .400, I wouldn't think much of the record book.

An offense that gets me is calling a record a new record. All records when set are new records, although there are old or former records. It's just that nitwit TV announcers haven't consulted Strunk & White and love to pad out their thoughts [used loosely]. This is not the same as a retronym: Once you have cordless drills, it's okay to describe the opposite as corded drills. Or as William Safire once sniffed, "Now you have to say English language radio." Hmm, nothing like putting your own politics into On Language.

You can't give 110 percent, no matter what the coach says. And etcetera.

And "full" gets overused, as in the racetrack is a full 2.5 miles long.

Whenever the announcer says literally, he probably means figuratively.

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2004 08:41PM

[Q]Wilt Chamberlain blessed both sides of the argument by scoring a nice round 100 points[/Q]

Don't forget the 20,000 scores off the court twitch

Date: April 01, 2004 07:38AM

David Leneveu and Wilt Chamberlain in the same thread. Uh, wow.

Ted will hit .400 again some day when he's defrosted in 2200. :-}

Now that will require an asterisk.

Posted by: sdellman (---.dialup.islandnet.com)
Date: April 02, 2004 03:41PM

Ari, is this some more of your very knowledgeable and subjective views as posted on hockeysfuture forum? I think you are a little too passionate and maybe even a little too personal with some of your views.

David McKee - Up and down freshmen year. He was brutal in the beginning and brutal in the playoffs. He was outstanding the rest of the season. In Cornell's unconditional strong defensive scheme, he will put up outstanding numbers every year he is at Cornell. He will definitely get signed after he graduates. I believe he is just a good as the very overrated David LeNeveu who also dropped the ball in the playoffs when he was at Cornell. A bucket would have done as well between the pipes for Cornell's extremely talented team last year.

[www.hfboards.com]

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: April 02, 2004 03:55PM

[Q]sdellman Wrote:

Ari, is this some more of your very knowledgeable and subjective views as posted on hockeysfuture forum? I think you are a little too passionate and maybe even a little too personal with some of your views.

David McKee - Up and down freshmen year. He was brutal in the beginning and brutal in the playoffs. He was outstanding the rest of the season. In Cornell's unconditional strong defensive scheme, he will put up outstanding numbers every year he is at Cornell. He will definitely get signed after he graduates. I believe he is just a good as the very overrated David LeNeveu who also dropped the ball in the playoffs when he was at Cornell. A bucket would have done as well between the pipes for Cornell's extremely talented team last year.

[www.hfboards.com][/Q]I don't mind the passion or the personal - I just can't believe how often I disagree with you.

I like David McKee. I saw about a half-dozen games this year. That is more than enough to know that he isn't nearly the goaltender that LeNeveu is.

And what's up with the hatin' on Moulson?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 02, 2004 04:14PM

Is Ari watching the same team the rest of us are??

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 03, 2004 04:25PM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:
Which kind of begs the question as to what existing records (sports) are least likely to fall? Every time or distance record gets beaten. I think my money is on the .400 batting average staying inviolate. [/q]

Doesn't OJ still hold the record for the 440 hurdles or something?

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 03, 2004 09:14PM

How about Joltin' Joe and his 56 consecutive games with at least one hit back in 1941?

(he actually hit 61 in 1933 while on the San Francisco Seals in the Pacific Coast League)

Or, Tom Seaver's 98.84% vote in 1992 (recent though) to get into the Hall of Fame...beats Yogi Berra, Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, etc.

Joe Dimaggio's hit streak, that seems pretty unattainable.

Date: April 03, 2004 09:19PM

[Q]jeh25 Wrote:
Doesn't OJ still hold the record for the 440 hurdles or something?[/q]

You've heard this before: OJ co-holds with John Elway the record for most yardage by a slow white Bronco.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2004 09:57PM

Nolan Ryan, in 1999, was left off six of 497 ballots for the hall of fame, within a tenth of a percentage point of Tom Seaver. that "record" seems pretty attainable to me....

Date: April 03, 2004 11:58PM

751 complete games -- Cy Young.

Beat that.

Date: April 04, 2004 08:32AM

[Q]Greg Berge Wrote:

Beat that.[/q]

Cy Young said that? Cool!

Date: April 04, 2004 10:32AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

Greg Berge Wrote:

Beat that.[/Q]
Cy Young said that? Cool! [/q]

Well, actually, it was more like: "751 complete games! I'm Cy Young, bitch!" :-D

Date: April 04, 2004 11:12AM

"Mmmm, Be-atch!"

The single season CG record (75!) is safe as well.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (66.153.73.---)
Date: April 09, 2004 09:17AM

Howard leads 1.195 to 1.202 after his one-goal performance last night. If he holds Denver to 1 goal or less in 60 minutes, he has the record. 2 or more and it remains Lenny's.

My GAA cheat-sheet got me labelled an "Ãœberdork" by a UMass fan we met up with after the game. I prefer the term Ãœbergeek myself.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: April 10, 2004 12:04PM

Two more tidbits:

If the game goes to OT at 1-1, Denver must win before 12:27 of the second OT.
If the game goes to OT at 2-2, Denver must win before 2:22 of the 5th OT.

EDIT: If the game goes to OT at 2-2 the game must end (winner-irrelevant) before 2:22 of the 5th OT. If the game miraculously stayed 2-2 past that point, Denver would have to win to keep Lenny's record intact.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2004 01:59PM by KenP.

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 10, 2004 09:42PM

Yeah - I know, very close. Almost as if they share that record, but you can't get away with saying that.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2004 11:12PM

i calculated it out to 1.952 for howards GAA assuming uscho updated their stats page since the end of the game. that is with 26 goals against in 1305.216666 or 21.7536111 games. is that the correct count?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (66.153.73.---)
Date: April 11, 2004 03:14AM

26 goals is not current; Howard finished with 27 goals in 1303:52 for a GAA of 1.196 vs Lenny's 1.202. :-/

I'm sure he'd rather have the NCAA title than the record, just like Lenny last year.

Posted by: duderino (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2004 12:41PM

I'm glad Howard broke the record. Leneveu was the man but I'd rather have an upstate New York kid hold the record than a Canadian.

Date: April 11, 2004 02:58PM

[Q]jtwcornell91 Wrote:

26 goals is not current; Howard finished with 27 goals in 1303:52 for a GAA of 1.196 vs Lenny's 1.202.

I'm sure he'd rather have the NCAA title than the record, just like Lenny last year.[/q]

You sure it isn't 1.19 GAA by Howard? The USCHO numbers say 27 goals allowed in 1363:52 (minutes:seconds) or 22.731111111111111111111111111111 ad infinitum games. That's 1.1877993938801446866751393098055 GAA which rounds to 1.19. If it was 1.196 that would round to 1.20 and it would be a tie unless the NCAA decides to round to use four digits in GAA (three decimal places).

Still it was LeNeveu who broke a generation-old record. You remember the second guy to run a 4 minute mile? Not that that's a very useful comparison; one is a an old record; the other is a round-nunmber barrier.

Question is, can somebody get below 1.00 GAA in our lifetime? That would have meant 5 fewer goals allowed by Howard in his abbreviated season.

Posted by: Todd (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 11, 2004 06:31PM

If Howard had thrown a shutout against Harvard (sucks) like he should have, his goals-against would have been 0.997 if my calculations are correct.

Date: April 11, 2004 06:41PM

At the time I posted, USCHO's stats page hadn't updated, so I had to add the minutes played from the box score (which was less than 60 because he got pulled at the end). I must have done it wrong. (Anyway, it makes more sense this way, since he would have ended up 1.187 if he'd finished the game; to 1.188 is a more reasonable jump for a few fewer minutes played.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login