Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Quick Question

Posted by Dart~Ben 
Quick Question
Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:55AM

Did you guys get penalized for throwing fish on the ice at the Harvard game?

They're trying to end the tennis ball tradition here at Dartmouth, claiming that we'll get a penalty without even getting a warning after the first toss. Which is somewhat dubious considering we did it earlier in the year at the in women's game against Princeton and didn't get called for anything.

I also don't know if it's the ECAC cracking down or the Dartmouth administration, frankly I wouldn't be shocked if it was both.

Re: Quick Question
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 02:34AM

There was no penalty, but there was a greater than average amount of hand-wringing, with reference to the ECAC as Dean Wormer having a zero tolerance policy on objects thrown on the ice.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 07:40AM

agreed. No penalties but a significant amount of people thrown out this year.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 08:04AM

It comes and goes. A lot of it has to do with who's in the Commissioner's office.

When I was in school they went as far as threating to move the game to Albany if it didn't stop. Other times they penalized us, but that was also when we did it as Sucks came out for the 3rd period. My freshman year, not only did we get that penalty, but when Tredway got a hat trick later in the third, they penalized us for throwing hats on the ice.

JH

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:18AM

If Colgate was any indication, I wouldn't be too concerned. I think the order of events was:
Cornell player introductions.
Flurry of Big Red gum.
Warning over PA.
Cornell goal.
More gum thrown.
More warnings.
Colgate goal.
More gum.
Desperate pleas from the PA guy.
Second Colgate goal.
More gum, enormous phallus thrown.
Delay of game called.

The moral of that story is, if you do it once and stop, I'd be very surprised if anything was called. Of course, it's Princeton. They could probably play a man up for the whole game and still lose.

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:24AM

Was it a phallus or a big dog bone? It would be cooler if it was in fact a phallus, if only because the linesman had to pick it up and skate around with it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:28AM

Pete Godenschwager wrote:

Was it a phallus or a big dog bone? It would be cooler if it was in fact a phallus, if only because the linesman had to pick it up and skate around with it.
[Facetimer]
I think Age knows an enormous phallus when he sees one.
[/Facetimer]

Age, I'm sorry, it was just... RIGHT THERE.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:49AM

Cornell has definitely had a penalty called for fish thrown "during" the game (meaning after a goal or other stoppage - anything thrown during actual play should CERTAINLY be called a penalty!!!). I don't ever recall hearing about a penalty being called at Lynah for throwing fish before the game (when the players first skate out on the ice). PA warnings and fan ejections, yes, but penalty, no. Of course, the times when we've gotten a penalty during the game were AFTER the PA warnings, so we don't really have any information about what would happen at Lynah if a) nobody threw anything before the game (right...), so there was no warning read, and then b) someone threw something after a goal. My guess is that they'd go ahead and give Cornell a penalty based on reputation alone, but maybe I'm just paranoid...

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 12:42PM

Rule 6-30 in the NCAA Ice Hockey Rules and Regulations deals with "interference by spectators". Game officials used to be required to have a warning announced about delay-of-game calls, but that appears to be no longer the case:

Interference by Spectators 
SECTION 30. a. In the event that objects that interfere with the progress of the game are thrown onto the ice, the official shall blow the whistle and stop the play; and the puck shall be faced off at the spot where play is stopped. 
Fans are not permitted to throw objects on the ice. At the discretion of the referee, a warning may be issued before the game.
b. Spectators are not permitted to use artificial noisemakers, air horns or electronic amplifiers while the game is in progress.
c. The band(s) shall not be allowed to play while the game is in progress.
PENALTIES—a. through c.—Warning or bench minor against offending fans’ team for delay of game. 
It is the referee’s discretion, depending on the severity of the action, whether or not a warning is necessary. 
Note: Conferences or the proper disciplinary authority are encouraged to develop policies in this area if necessary.

I believe there have been a few mumblings from the ECAC office about object-throwing, but I haven't heard of a league-wide crackdown.

Date: February 19, 2004 12:56PM

But fortunately for UVM and Clarkson, electronic amplifiers are apparently allowed by the bands. rolleyes

What kind of freakin' pep band needs electricity? Yeah, the Clarkson with the bell, brain-scrambling whistle, electric guitar and bass, and half its fans with some sort of stupid noise-maker that told me I couldn't do the cowbell cheer because noisemakers aren't allowed. I hate that place.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:06PM

Age, I was just thinking that (about the electronic amplifiers and other stuff bands do). Isn't the UVM band using their many stupid cowbells to do the "Go Cats Go" cheer technically against NCAA rules, then?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:07PM

Somebody please make a rule that Thunderstix are against NCAA rules. PLEASE. help

Posted by: Cornell Fan (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:26PM

Was it a phallus or a big dog bone?
I was there and had a pretty clear view of the thing, and I believe it was a large gourd, perhaps an attempt to poke fun at our Ag School.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:39PM

Cornell Fan wrote:

Was it a phallus or a big dog bone?
I was there and had a pretty clear view of the thing, and I believe it was a large gourd, perhaps an attempt to poke fun at our Ag School.

I was there too, and it looked fairly dildo-like to me. Then again, what do I know about gourds? ;-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 01:47PM

[Q]Isn't the UVM band using their many stupid cowbells to do the "Go Cats Go" cheer technically against NCAA rules, then?[/Q]

Any artificial noise during the game is a penalty... technically. That includes cowbells at UVM, drums at Colgate, and whatever other stupid stuff people use aroung the league and country.

I was however very amused a couple years ago when RPI gave out one thunder stick to fans for freakout. They were in compliance with the rule because one thunder stick is not a noise maker. Of course they sold individual sticks as well...

I suppose they are going with the same idea (ie masked compliance with the rules) at brown where there is just a pile of the damned things at the entrance packaged individually.

Date: February 19, 2004 01:47PM

They are. No fans can have noisemakers according to the rules. I suppose the band doesn't fall under the "fans" category or none of them could play their instruments. So as long as it's the band, I guess they can use their 427 or whatever cowbells to do their only cheer.

Date: February 19, 2004 01:50PM

Chris '03 wrote:
one thunder stick is not a noise maker.
I dunno. They make a pretty satisfying thud when you hit annoying Brown fans with one.

Posted by: adamw (---.dowjones.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 02:01PM

Thunderstix are against NCAA rules, actually. No artificial noisemakers are allowed to be used during play.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 07:45PM

Adam Wodon wrote:
Thunderstix are against NCAA rules, actually. No artificial noisemakers are allowed to be used during play.
Unless they're drums and your schools initials are "CU" but you're not Cornell. rolleyes

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2004 03:49PM

This is all during play, it seems. I suppose once the whistle is blown, all bets are off?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2004 04:33PM

dss28 wrote:
This is all during play, it seems. I suppose once the whistle is blown, all bets are off?
I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that even during stoppages, ThunderStix are still lame. nut

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.cust.uslec.net)
Date: February 20, 2004 04:55PM

[q]This is all during play, it seems. I suppose once the whistle is blown, all bets are off?[/q]

In hockey yes. It varies by sport though. In Women's Lax for example, artificial noise makers are only permitted during halftime and I believe timeouts. Goals and penalties are not stoppages for which noisemakers are allowed.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 05:15PM

So, should we have gotten a penalty for the Supermom Sucks noisemakers? :-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 05:35PM

Mike Hedrick '01 wrote:

So, should we have gotten a penalty for the Supermom Sucks noisemakers? :-)
Yep. Those big plastic horns that some fans bring in are also technically against the rules. But I would expect refs to call such things only if it really disrupts the game. I'd like to see the riot that ensues if Cornell is penalized 2 minutes because of that one guy in D who brought a horn or the pep band finished a cheer after the puck was dropped.

As most of you know this rule was put in place because of RPI's "BIG RED" *chortle* Freakout (can never say that with a straight face) game in 1987 when the gifts were those plastic horns. 5000 fans were making deafening noise with them during play.

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: February 21, 2004 06:37PM

Were there penalties for the tennis balls last night? Looks like there are two delay of game penalties right after each of Darmouth's goals, so I'm assuming that they were called for it...USCHO is frozen right now so I can't get the recap

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 11:29PM

[q]As most of you know this rule was put in place because of RPI's "BIG RED" *chortle* Freakout (can never say that with a straight face) game in 1987 when the gifts were those plastic horns. 5000 fans were making deafening noise with them during play.[/q]

Wow, I think I remember this game. I must have been 8 or so. (My dad is a '72 grad of RPI so he took me to the games in my youth...I have since changed my primary ECAC hockey affliation. He recalls those first couple years when he followed hockey....RPI never had it much then, except he remembers attending the RPI win over Cornell that ended their winning streak following the undefeated season...but this is another story).

Anyhow the game was so loud...and at the end, when RPI scored an ENG, most of the crowd threw the horns on the ice. I think they were playing SLU, and the game ended up a forfeit. I think I might still have the horn in the basement someplace, but it's likely gone now.

Anyone else having weird issues with this one thread...like it's not wrapping the text at all and just strings out to the right?

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 21, 2004 11:41PM

Chris '02 wrote:

Anyhow the game was so loud...and at the end, when RPI scored an ENG, most of the crowd threw the horns on the ice. I think they were playing SLU, and the game ended up a forfeit. I think I might still have the horn in the basement someplace, but it's likely gone now.

This page chronicles the "gifts" and game results through the years:
[www.augenblick.org]

I think it was the game with the megaphones where they all ended on the ice, but there is suprisingly little about the history available on the web.

[q]Anyone else having weird issues with this one thread...like it's not wrapping the text at all and just strings out to the right?[/q]
It's because Bill Fenwick quoted the rulebook using the pre-formatted tag and there were no carriage returns. That stretches out the width of this thread.

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.Dartmouth.EDU)
Date: February 22, 2004 02:47AM

[q]Were there penalties for the tennis balls last night? Looks like there are two delay of game penalties right after each of Darmouth's goals, so I'm assuming that they were called for it...USCHO is frozen right now so I can't get the recap[/q]

Yes and no. Hansen called a penalty after the first goal for the tennis balls, even though there were only ~50 thrown rather than the normal hundreds/1000+.

The 2nd delay of game penalty was called because some fucking idiot (pardon my french) threw a coke on the ice after Jessiman tied it up at 2 with 2 minutes to go.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2004 03:57PM

Did he start snorting the ice? It certainly seems like that head case is coked up... :-P

Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.Kiewit.Dartmouth.EDU)
Date: February 22, 2004 05:00PM

No but he had a monster weekend, GTG on Friday, 3 points including the GWG on Saturday. And he even managed to hustle and play some defense. twitch twitch

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login