Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bulletin Board Fodder (Part 2)

Posted by jeh25 
Bulletin Board Fodder (Part 2)
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: March 04, 2002 02:01PM

"There isn't a hotter team in the ECAC than us right now," Rodgers said. "I don't care who we play right now. I just can't wait. Cornell better watch out."
--Yale Daily News

"He (Fulton) said it didn't make it over the line,'' said RPI co-captain Matt Murley, who found a silver lining in defeat. "Now Cornell knows we're gonna be able to beat them when we meet them in Lake Placid''
--Albany Times-Union

"We played strong. We played hard. In the end they got a lucky bounce. It bounced off the post and in. It happens I guess. We can beat Cornell. We're just as good if not better. There's no doubt about that. They just got the bounces."
--Ryan Glenn in the Watertown Daily Times

Re: Bulletin Board Fodder (Part 2)
Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: March 04, 2002 02:32PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:

"There isn't a hotter team in the ECAC than us right now," Rodgers said. "I don't care who we play right now. I just can't wait. Cornell better watch out."
--Yale Daily News
Ummm, yeah. Granted, Yale has won their last 4, and in that same period Cornell was 3-0-1.

But then, before that, Yale had lost 6 in a row, while Cornell had been 5-0-1, including the tail end of an 8 game win streak.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 03:33PM

I actually laughed out loud when I read the Cornell Sun version of the Matt Murley quote. Cornell knows that RPI is a better team? Please... The other version of the quote, if correct, is much more reasonable. Anybody can beat anybody else in the playoffs, but that doesn't mean they are a better team.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 04:36PM

The definition of the best team is the one that all the other teams are mewling that they're "really" better than.

Cornell should never allow themselves to be overconfident. As long as they lack the horses to really blow teams out (which despite the huge improvement is still a problem), then every team is in every game, and to pretend otherwise is suicidal.

But it's a positive sign that teams out there are using Cornell as the measuring stick this year. In past years that would have been Harvard or Clarkson. Now that they are on top, I hope Cornell takes full advantage.

Fulton's Folly
Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 05:34PM

Just to satisfy my curiosity, is The Cornell Sun, the student newspaper?

The second page of thread [www.uscho.com] on USCHO has the quotes from both The Albany Times-Union and The Troy Record;

The T-U states that Murley said: "He (Fulton) said it didn't make it over the line,'' said RPI co-captain Matt Murley, who found a silver lining in defeat. "Now Cornell knows we're gonna be able to beat them when we meet them in Lake Placid.''

The Record states that Murley said "They know we can beat them," Matt Murley said. "That will help if we see them in Lake Placid (for the ECAC Final 5)."

Probably the Schenectady Gazette also has their version of what Murley said, but I can't find it on the net.

They are essentially the same thing. To the best of my knowledge, all reporters speak to the players at the same time. It looks like The Cornell Sun has gotten it wrong. What The CD Area papers stated could be fuel for Princeton's bulletin baord, but not for Cornell's.

Re: Fulton's Folly
Posted by: judy (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:02PM

everytime i read murley's quote, I can't help but think, "yeah sure, RPI could definitely beat Cornell they way we played that night....but that really wasn't the best that we could play" I wonder if they realize that.

Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:07PM

Murley has been listening to his idiot coach for four years. Some of the lunacy rubbed off.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (128.253.238.---)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:24PM

I too, wondered about the differences in the appearance of the quotes.

However, I thought that because there were only 2 of them (maybe if you find more variations in other places I'll believe otherwise) that maybe they were actually 2 separate quotes in the same session with the media.

Because athletes do that all the time. Say the same things over and over and over in press conferences.

I don't know if Murley really had that much time with the media to have this same idea come up twice, but that was my initial thought.

If there were 3, 4, or 5 variations of the same thing, then I would truly wonder about each media outlet's integrity in quoting quotes (not that I don't already)...

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:29PM

I assume the athletes blab on and on and the reporters take whatever they want as the quote, rephrasing generously. They wouldn't outright fabricate -- too dangerous, no need, and I doubt they have the imagination.

Posted by: twh2 (---.tnt40.bos2.da.uu.net)
Date: March 04, 2002 07:59PM

I posted in the @ union.... thread congradulating RPI on not talking crap after having goals taken back because of something I read on USCHO.com. I fully take back that statement and apologize to any intelligent college hockey fan for the complete insanity of my belief that RPI had changed. Go to He** Fulton.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.udar.columbia.edu)
Date: March 05, 2002 10:27AM

They wouldn't outright fabricate -- too dangerous, no need, and I doubt they have the imagination.

Of course we wouldn't outright fabricate, but -- HEY!! That's not nice. :-P

Beeeej
Former Hack

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login