Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Schafer Suspended One Game

Posted by Larry72 
Schafer Suspended One Game
Posted by: Larry72 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 05:22PM

Just posted on USCHO!!!

[www.uscho.com]

Re: Schafer Suspended One Game
Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: January 20, 2004 05:25PM

Well, you had to see that coming. I am sure the ECAC will take his complaints seriously, but the league isn't going to let a tirade like that go unpunished regardless of the validity of the complaints.

Posted by: Rich Gourley (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 05:45PM

I felt that Mike's comments would get him the one game, however I think in the long run it will benfit not only the league but his team as well. The guys know that their coach is not going to sit back and let them be abused by the officials. He sends a strong message that he is an advocate for the players. I applaud him for his actions, although the use of expliatives probably could have been avoided. But hey we've all lost our temper at some point.

With all this happening, I bet that the team comes out flying on Friday and sends a message that they support their coach 100%.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 07:21PM

Kill Schafer, kill.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2004 07:25PM

Noel was real supportive. rolleyes

Cough tool uncough...

Posted by: Red hot mama (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 08:10PM

One has to wonder if this will have the opposite effect intended. Perhaps the officials will overdo it in terms of making calls, especially in the Cornell games. They might make him pay by taking any and all flow out of the games. I think Schafer has a good point to make; his choice of method was just not the best. worry

Posted by: Ack (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 08:56PM

With that said, we'll see the level of maturity in the officiating pretty quickly.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 10:52PM

Schafer is a facetimer. Now he won't be allowed to be at Friday's game. I wish all of you wouldn't be allowed in either.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 10:55PM

Facetimer wrote:

Schafer is a facetimer. Now he won't be allowed to be at Friday's game. I wish all of you wouldn't be allowed in either.

Actually, is that true, that he can't go to Friday's game at all? In other words, would he be able to watch the game from, say, the press box, or even just the stands?

Post Edited (01-20-04 22:56)

Date: January 20, 2004 11:05PM

I think it is only fair that he gets Cowbell Guy's seat. Although his lack of ability with the famous cheer might hurt us. Something to think about...................

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 11:15PM

shut up you stupid facetimer!

now back to catherwood with you...

Post Edited (01-20-04 23:18)

Posted by: dOwns (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 11:41PM

Personally, I think that's bull that they suspended him. All he did was speak his mind.. what's wrong with that? Sure there was some language, but everyone there was adults and should be able to handle it. All I have to say is Schafer made a good point.. and I hope they take it into account.

Post Edited (01-20-04 23:42)

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2004 11:44PM

At least it's the game against last-place Vermont... *knock on wood*

Date: January 20, 2004 11:45PM

You know if you keep on calling people stupid facetimers you might just get rerouted to gayhitchhiker.com by one Cowbell Guy (giant facetimer).

Posted by: dOwns (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 11:51PM

And we wonder why you know that website and seem to love it sooooo much.demented

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 12:48AM

i think i should email coach and tell him i have an extra section A ticket for him for friday - maybe he can wear a mask like bobby valentine :) i think he just cant be on the bench. but i am not sure.

ok so this all means that we need to make a sign. any ideas? i have all day friday :)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 12:59AM

How about, "Free Schafer!" Okay, it doesn't really make sense, but it might look cool anyway. ;-)

Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 21, 2004 02:38AM

But there are league rules and regulations, and from what I understand, anyone who is a representative for the league (including coaches) are not permitted to criticize the officiating. The rule was in effect before Schafer spoke his mind.

Schafer knew the rules, which, for me, makes his outburst much more than simply out of frustration after a loss.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 08:08AM

Free Hat!

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 08:41AM

somehow i doubt that...:-D

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 11:46AM

Dunno.

Maybe he'll watch on I2Sports. And perhaps join us in the chat? :)

Date: January 21, 2004 01:36PM

RedAR wrote:Schafer knew the rules, which, for me, makes his outburst much more than simply out of frustration after a loss.
I agree. I think he knew he would get suspended but thought that something had to be done to protect his players. I respect that.

Posted by: ericho_4511 (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: January 21, 2004 01:54PM

If I have one complaint about Schafer's coaching, it's that he seems to complain and get on the refs A LOT during games. I think it has cost the team at times when the refs seem to be determined not to make a call that would be viewed (by the other team) as a direct response to his complaints. All of a sudden the whistle seems to be stuck in the ref's pocket and only the most egregious calls are made. (Maybe Schafer like the games played that way because he thinks/knows we have a physical advantage?)

I always wonder if there is a cumulative effect. Does it carry over to the next Cornell game the guy officiates? I don't know.

Schafer proabably deserves the suspension but if it got the attention of the league then maybe that's a good thing in the long run. Hopefully, he got it out of his system and there won't be any petty retribution by the refs.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 21, 2004 02:24PM

Eric, I think it works in the opposite manner. Look at the success Jack Parker has had over the years continually getting all over officials. He's intimidated them to the point where if anything BU gets the benefit of the doubt. The same was true of Cleary with Harvard and Walsh with Maine.

Granted a coach has to have a degree of gravitas and not just be a shrieker (cough Toots Cahoon). But whining when done well can help direct the ref's attention to, um..., deficiencies.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: January 21, 2004 03:07PM

jy3 wrote:
... maybe he can wear a mask like bobby valentine :)
I would pay real money to see that. laugh

Posted by: Mr. Timekeeper (132.236.144.---)
Date: January 22, 2004 11:57AM

Well-said in today's Ithaca Journal:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: January 22, 2004 03:01PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:

Noel was real supportive. rolleyes

Cough tool uncough...

It's like that old hockey joke...

"Your goalie [substitute "Schafer" here] should get himself a good lawyer and sue for lack of support."

It sure seems to me that Noel could have reasonably balanced his statement with something like: "blah blah blah inappropriate blah blah blah reprimand. Nevertheless, we appreciate Coach Schafer's concern for the welfare of student athletes and have no doubt that the ECAC will continue to work to ensure that the players are appropriately protected."

Posted by: CUlater 89 (64.244.223.---)
Date: January 22, 2004 03:20PM

Perhaps Andy recognizes that the league prefers that such talk be done behind the scenes, rather than in the public forum.

And I'm sure that he has told Mike that he agrees with the sentiment, just not the manner and place.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2004 07:51PM

Longer column on this in the IJ from Monday [www.theithacajournal.com]

Posted by: BigD (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: January 23, 2004 12:15AM

Personally, I think it's about time someone spoke out publicly and I'm glad Schafer finally took the bull by the horns and said what had to be said. After watching ECAC hockey for almost 20 years, I believe that the quality of officiating has never been great, but has declined noticeably in recent years rather than improved. My concern has always been the safety of the athletes and I often wonder that they continue to play sometimes when it is clear the people charged with their care on the ice just don't seem to care. Thank you, Mike! I just hope the ECAC is really paying attention and does something about it.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 23, 2004 09:20AM

I love the g--d------'s from the IJ. Made me think I was reading Addison and Steele. ;-)

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 10:29AM

Well.. Think Schafer's getting the moral thumbs up from most hockey folks. INCH columnist gave him a stick salute in this week's ECAC notebook for "taking one for the team" and the "timing of the rant was well calculated".

Hynes to miss Vermont/Dartmouth
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 10:46AM

According to today's Sun:

[cornelldailysun.com]

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 23, 2004 10:52AM

the article says Hynes is out due to shoulder injury, and several other players will be gametime decisions. just curious, without knowing the severity of the injury, how long is Hynes likely to be out due to a separated shoulder?

Date: January 23, 2004 11:11AM

Wasn't someone (I think it was Hornby) out for the remainder of the season when it happened to him? I feel like we've seen this before...

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 11:21AM

There's really no way to tell without knowing the severity of the injury. IN fact, there are a number of injuries which could be diagnosed as a separated shoulder during an initial examination (i.e. someone looking at the injury at the game without the benefit of x-rays or an MRI), so it's not even clear that the injury is a separated shoulder.

Basically, if it's something like a mild rotator cuff injury, without an actual separation, he'll be back in a week or two. If it's a third degree separation that requires surgery, he's done for the season.

Shoulder injuries
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 23, 2004 11:37AM

Anecdotal experience suggests that a separated shoulder is rather susceptible to re-injury. So this could really suck.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: January 23, 2004 11:38AM

dss28 wrote:

Wasn't someone (I think it was Hornby) out for the remainder of the season when it happened to him? I feel like we've seen this before...
Yeah, that was Hornby, after a nasty spill into the boards at the first Everblades tournament his freshman year.

Posted by: Mr. Timekeeper (132.236.144.---)
Date: January 23, 2004 01:24PM

You can't un-ring a bell, but the Coach's main points are still well-taken. From today's Ithaca Journal:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Date: January 23, 2004 01:41PM

[Q]"But at the same time, I believe in what I believe in. I just wish I had more class in expressing my opinion." [/Q]

Funny, but I think most people think that even in the midst of his vent, he still did it in quite a classy fashion...

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: January 23, 2004 01:48PM

A separated shoulder in Estero caused Hornby to lose the rest of his sophomore season.

Re: Shoulder injuries
Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 02:58PM

From a friend who had to quit the football team after his shoulder popped out every time he took a hit...

If it is his first one, he could be out a while...for some people, if it is reoccuring, they can just pop it back in and only deal with that pain...since he's missing this weekend, this is probably his first. There could be a lot of extracurricular activity that took place with his ligaments besides the bone just popping out of the socket. I imagine it will be a week by week decision just like it was with Marr so that the opponents are guessing. Hynes is a truck in front of the net and opponents probably have to work on matchups if they want to give their goalie line of sight.

Good luck, Shane, with the recovery!

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: January 23, 2004 03:14PM

Does your friend think that Shane's shoulder was dislocated, rather than separated?

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 03:24PM

Dunno, but it sounds like it, doesn't it! I don't know enough about the differences...

Speculation, misinformation, oh my! ;-)

We could always just give Shane a call and see what he says! :-P

Post Edited (01-23-04 15:27)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.15.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: January 23, 2004 03:47PM

dss28 wrote:

Funny, but I think most people think that even in the midst of his vent, he still did it in quite a classy fashion...
But he did violate the no cursing regulations. ;-)

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: January 23, 2004 04:15PM

He should have posted his tirade on this forum....64% of those polled endorse cursing! rock cuss rock

Date: January 23, 2004 05:17PM

Haha... true. But not many people would stop in the middle of a tirade and compliment the other team and stuff. ...Although they might say "G-d****, they played a F***ing great game..." but you get what I mean ;-)

Posted by: D! (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2004 05:22PM

If Schafer IS allowed to attend the game in the stands, all's I gotta say is he'd better not do any more cursing, cuz, you know, you can get kicked out for that kind of rude behaviour.

LGR!!! Crush Vermont... shorthanded!!!! twak

Date: January 23, 2004 05:36PM

laugh I can see it now...

Schafer: "I've always wanted to do this... 'aaaaahhhhh, see ya @$$hole!' "

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2004 05:45PM

dss28 wrote:

But he did violate the no cursing regulations. ;-)

Both ECAC rules and Lynah rules, eh?B-]

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2004 06:34PM

[q] I can see it now...

[/q]

ROFL laugh

Date: January 23, 2004 06:44PM

dss28 wrote:

laugh I can see it now...

I think he would be more likely to do "I'm blind, I'm deaf ..."

Date: January 24, 2004 12:48PM

Re: separated vs. dislocated shoulder...

According to the Vermont/Cornell recap: "Cornell played without Shane Hynes, who suffered a dislocated shoulder last week on one of the plays Schafer was upset about."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login