Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LeNeveu Fought Tonight

Posted by calgARI '07 
LeNeveu Fought Tonight
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 18, 2004 10:02PM

In the Springfield/Lowell game, LeNeveu and Desrochers (Lowell goalie) were both thrown out for fighting.

Re: LeNeveu Fought Tonight
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 05:48AM

"Leeor Shtrom, white courtesy telephone please..."

Posted by: D! (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 11:14AM

so is it better to stay in goal (Burt) or leave the crease (Strohm, and now Lenny)?
Anyone got details on the fight?

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 12:33PM

Well, when majors don't get you suspended and any penalty is going to mean the rest of the game (last two minutes) it's definitely better to go all the way and rack up as many minutes as possible. :-D

Posted by: profudge (129.33.1.---)
Date: January 19, 2004 01:06PM

More Detail from Lowell newspaper:
"... A full-scale brawl erupted with 1:17 to play. The melee began when Springfield forward Billy Tibbetts punched Chris McNamara off a faceoff. By the time it was over, Patrick DesRochers had raced down the ice to exchange punches with his goaltending counterpart, Springfield's David LeNeveu, while the ice was littered with bodies, sticks and helmets.

The teams combined for 162 penalty minutes, 108 of which came in the final two minutes.

"I thought it was 1976 all over again," quipped Lowell tough guy Joey Tetarenko.

DesRochers led all players with 21 penalty minutes, while teammate Brennan Evans picked up 15. For Springfield, Tibbetts (19), Nikos Tselios (19), LeNeveu (17) and Trevor Gillies (14) all reached double figures in penalty minutes. ... "

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 02:23PM

This discussion stirs a vague memory in me. A few years ago (sometime between 1999 and now), in a game at Lynah, I remember seeing our goalie leave the crease and clobber a player on the other team, and I think he might have gotten away with it, too. The thing is, I really don't remember any other details, like who we were playing, what prompted the clobbering, or even who the goalie was. I don't suppose anyone here will remember what I'm describing, but maybe someone will and can fill in the blanks for me.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 02:31PM

Ian Burt took a few shots on opposing players whenever he played. There was a full scale brawl where Burt and Leeor Shtrom of Union fought each other. Everyone on the ice at the time, all 12 players, got kicked out. There was only a minute or 2 left in the game, so it didn't matter too much. Thats what the Burt and Strohm mentions above are referring to anyway.

Date: January 19, 2004 02:46PM

When was this game?

Date: January 19, 2004 04:22PM

Don't remember when it was, but it was quite a site. Union was getting frustrated and started dropping gloves. After a brief moment, Leeor skated, or rather lumbered, the length of the ice, right up to Burt, as the fight was on our side of the sheet. They started chatting with each other, then all of a sudden, Leeor was slugging away.

The Daily Sun quoted Burt, who recalled the conversation with Leeor. I thing it went something like:
Leeor: Wanna fight?
Ian: Nah, you'd probably kick my ass anyway.
Leeor: <swings>

Burt was not penalized.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 05:28PM

The game was 12/04/1998. Here's the link to USCHO recap [www.uscollegehockey.com]
The quote was [Q]"We were just having a conversation, I just asked him how the game was," Burt said. "I asked him why he didn't jump me and he was like, 'Oh, your back was turned.' He was like, 'You want to go with me?' and I [said], 'Not really, you'll probably beat me up.' He said, 'Well, let's go then,' and throws his gloves off."[/Q]I think Burt was thrown out.

Post Edited (01-19-04 17:30)

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 05:31PM

[www.uscho.com]

the uscho link has the full quote

[www.slack.net]

tbrw?!@*&% has burt getting penalized

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 05:32PM

D! wrote:

Don't remember when it was, but it was quite a site. Union was getting frustrated and started dropping gloves. After a brief moment, Leeor skated, or rather lumbered, the length of the ice, right up to Burt, as the fight was on our side of the sheet. They started chatting with each other, then all of a sudden, Leeor was slugging away.

The Daily Sun quoted Burt, who recalled the conversation with Leeor. I thing it went something like:
Leeor: Wanna fight?
Ian: Nah, you'd probably kick my ass anyway.
Leeor: <swings>

Burt was not penalized.
Actually, Burt did get a DQ, but Leeor got two (one for leaving the crease and one for fighting), and therefore was suspended for three games.

Arthur started the ensuing announcement with "We've got a whole mess of penalties"

Goalie fights
Date: January 19, 2004 05:37PM

Here's an account of the Burt-Shtrom fight I wrote a few years back:

[Q]
Spät im Heimspiel gab es in der Cornell Zone einen Kampf, wo alle zehn Verteidiger und Stürmer an einander hielten. Es war aber keine echte Schlägerei, bis der Union Torhüter, Leor Shtrom, aus seinem Gegend kam, und ein Gespräch mit Cornell Goalie Ian Burt begann. Die Resultate dieses Gespräches war, dass die zwei sich ohne Handschuhe schlagen sollten, wofür die beiden rausgeworfen wurden. Burt kriegte die automatische Matchstrafe, aber für Shtrom gab es eine, weil er aus seinem Torraum während einem Kampf kam, und noch eine für die Schlägerei selbst. Deshalb musste er drei Spiele verpassen, weil die Suspendierungen mit jeder Matchstrafe wachsen.
[/Q]

Date: January 19, 2004 05:48PM

The USCHO recap also mentions Burt's DQ:

[Q]The referees got the Big Red and Dutchmen players to skate to their respective benches, but Burt and Shtrom stayed near the Cornell goal line and appeared to be having a casual conversation. The two abruptly dropped their gloves, however, and got into a fight that earned both of them a game disqualification.[/Q]

Post Edited (01-19-04 17:48)

Re: Goalie fights
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 06:07PM

I have to ask, John. Why did you write an account of the game in German. Were you a sports reporter when you lived in Bern?

JH

Posted by: Mike T. '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 06:07PM

wunderschön.

Date: January 19, 2004 06:12PM

My bad,
I must've laughed so hard at the extent to which Shtrom racked up his penalties, that I forgot about Burt's.

Still funny as hell.

Date: January 19, 2004 06:51PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:
I have to ask, John. Why did you write an account of the game in German. Were you a sports reporter when you lived in Bern?
I had a German girlfriend I was trying to introduce to Cornell hockey.

Date: January 19, 2004 07:05PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

How'd that work out?

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 07:48PM

[Q]Spät im Heimspiel gab es in der Cornell Zone einen Kampf, wo alle zehn Verteidiger und Stürmer an einander hielten. Es war aber keine echte Schlägerei, bis der Union Torhüter, Leor Shtrom, aus seinem Gegend kam, und ein Gespräch mit Cornell Goalie Ian Burt begann. Die Resultate dieses Gespräches war, dass die zwei sich ohne Handschuhe schlagen sollten, wofür die beiden rausgeworfen wurden. Burt kriegte die automatische Matchstrafe, aber für Shtrom gab es eine, weil er aus seinem Torraum während einem Kampf kam, und noch eine für die Schlägerei selbst. Deshalb musste er drei Spiele verpassen, weil die Suspendierungen mit jeder Matchstrafe wachsen. [/Q]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

No, really, I *couldn't* have.

Posted by: Jeff Hardgrove '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2004 09:35PM

Anyone else remember Arthur's quote actually being "We have a SLEW of penalties," or is the legend just growing with time?

Date: January 19, 2004 10:03PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

How'd that work out?
She was enjoying the hockey stories, but the girlfriend part didn't work out, so she never made it to a game.

Posted by: jy3 (---.nrp3feld.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 19, 2004 10:43PM

LEEEEOOOOOOOOOORR

LEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRR

:)

couldnt resist. funny b/c that fight came up in conversation at the onion game this weekend

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: January 20, 2004 01:08AM

Actually, Burt did get a DQ, but Leeor got two (one for leaving the crease and one for fighting), and therefore was suspended for three games.

...and then the Union coach benched him for a fourth.

Beeeej

Posted by: paulspen (132.236.56.---)
Date: January 20, 2004 08:35AM

Late in the heimspiel there was a fight in the Cornell zone, where all ten defenders and stuermer held each other on. It was however no genuine fight, until the union goal keeper, came Leor Shtrom, from its area, and a discussion with Cornell Goalie Ian Burt began. The results of this discussion it was that the two should strike themselves without gloves, for which the two were eliminated. Burt kriegte the automatic match punishment, but for Shtrom there was one, because he came from his torraum during a fight, and still one for the fight. Therefore it had to miss three plays, because the suspending with each match punishment grew.

Gotta love on-line translation...

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: January 20, 2004 02:25PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:

The game was 12/04/1998...
And what a wonderful 21st birthday present a brawl was for me! screwy

Posted by: Arthur Mintz '71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 05:51PM

[q]Anyone else remember Arthur's quote actually being "We have a SLEW of penalties," or is the legend just growing with time?[/q]

Arthur remembers Arthur's quote as being "We got a whole mess of penalties."

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 09:02PM

[Q]Arthur remembers Arthur's quote as being "We got a whole mess of penalties."[/Q]But is Arthur right?
:-D

Posted by: Jeff Hardgrove '01 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2004 11:13PM

Ha ha, I stand corrected! (feel free to use "slew" in future calls)

Posted by: Arthur Mintz '71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2004 10:00PM

[q] But is Arthur right? [/q]
Arthur is right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login