Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Vermont IS leaving the ECAC

Posted by RedAR 
Vermont IS leaving the ECAC
Posted by: RedAR (---.gsd.harvard.edu)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:00PM

Good riddance.

Re: Vermont IS leaving the ECAC
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:05PM

UVM's move to Hockey East will take place for the 2005-06 season, so the ECAC has a year and a half to find a replacement.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:05PM

But not till the season after next...gives the ECAC lots of time to think about what to do.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:08PM

USCHO is reporting that Vermont is expected to join HE in the 05-06 season. Presumably they couldn't join the league next year without major scheduling problems, since league schedules are presumably set. I assume this would mean that Vermont will be back in the ECAC for one more lame duck season, allowing the league a year to line up a replacement.

News conference tomorrow for the official announcement.

Date: January 07, 2004 04:13PM

I think this shows how eager Hockey East is to get to an even number of teams. It's only been 3 weeks since it was first reported that Vermont had approached HE and as recently as Monday USCHO was reporting that a vote by the AD's of HE schools wasn't likely to take place at this week's meeting.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.chrstn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:14PM

If things don't get much better at UVm soon, this will presumably help the conference record against HEA opponents in '05-'06.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:20PM

The elephant walk was their Hockey East proof of concept.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:27PM

Why didn't Vermont jump ship at the time of the Great Divorce?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (134.74.186.---)
Date: January 07, 2004 04:49PM

Sounds like the ECAC already knows what to do. Can't we get UVM out and Holy Cross in now instead of later?

What's the over/under on the number of points the Cats manage in their last 37 ECAC games?

Posted by: Josh '99 (68.160.254.---)
Date: January 07, 2004 05:00PM

Everyone together, now!

AhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH... SEE YA!

Date: January 07, 2004 05:09PM

[Q]Sounds like the ECAC already knows what to do. Can't we get UVM out and Holy Cross in now instead of later?[/Q]I think the best possible answer to Vermont's defection would be to make them play as independants next season. A little spiteful and petty? Sure, why not!
:-P

Posted by: RedMan (---.fidelity.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 05:18PM

Good for the players....now they get paid to play like those at the other Hockey East state schools.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:18PM

RedMan wrote:

Good for the players....now they get paid to play like those at the other Hockey East state schools.
I think they've always been.

Date: January 07, 2004 06:20PM

Is there even a remote possibility that the ECAC lines up another team, such as Holy Cross, to take Vermonts place immediately? It would be kind of "amusing" :-P if Vermont had to cancel another season.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:25PM

Screw UVM.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:25PM

A new team for the '04-'05 season? Not likely. Unless they're totally new to D-I like Robert Morris, they probably have their own conference schedule already set up just like the ECAC does.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:26PM

and BU too :-P

Date: January 07, 2004 06:30PM

But with Findley dropping out, doesn't that screw up other league schedules as it stands?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:36PM

No Cats no!

No Cats no!

Ahhh...ha ha ha ha!

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2004 06:40PM

Mercyhurst to the CHA... that's my prediction.

Probably Holy Cross to the ECAC... Eventually, UConn, and maybe Quinnipiac to Hockey East...

< enter death of Atlantic Hockey stage right >

Date: January 07, 2004 07:04PM

If the CHA stays viable - that is, if Mercyhurst jumps to the CHA - what's the future of the other Atlantic Hockey teams?

IMO, UConn is going to follow to Hockey East SOON, and I agree with the likelihood that the Fighting Deerticks will follow them - travel partner, intra-state rivalry, and it keeps HE at an even number of teams.

Holy Cross to the ECAC. That seems to be the concensus.

That leaves Canisius, Sacred Heart, Army, Bentley, and AIC.

AIC is Div II, they'll provavbly drop back down. Probably Bentley, too. My guess is Canisius and Sacred Heart jump to the ECAC, upping it to 14 teams.

Hopefully the dumbass Ivy League presidents recognize that we'll need to play more games with more schools.

JH

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2004 07:10PM

We can't play 26 games... it's had to be an unbalanced schedule... yuck.

Actually, another possibility... with the CHA facing losing their auto-bid... the CHA breaks up with Canisius and Niagara joining AH and the rest going with 'western' conferences.

And Canisius can't jump to the ECAC without a western travel partner... so at the very least you'd need a Canisius/Niagra to the ECAC, with Sacred Heart and Army (welcome back Army!)... that'd be 16 teams. Two divisions of 8... play your own twice, others once... is 22 games still.

Post Edited (01-07-04 19:12)

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: January 07, 2004 11:13PM

Well, it's not like the ECAC doesn't have practice playing a season without Vermont. ;-)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 07, 2004 11:43PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

Actually, another possibility... with the CHA facing losing their auto-bid... the CHA breaks up with Canisius and Niagara joining AH and the rest going with 'western' conferences.

I don't know...even with the CHA losing a necessary sixth team, I think they're still more stable than AH right now. I just don't think it would be a huge problem for the CHA to snatch up a current AH team, or perhaps Robert Morris, to fill their gap. If anything, I agree with Fred that AH is closer to collapse, with some teams rumored to be bolting for other conferences, and other teams perhaps following in Iona, Fairfield, and Findlay's footsteps and canceling/downgrading their hockey programs.

And Canisius can't jump to the ECAC without a western travel partner... so at the very least you'd need a Canisius/Niagra to the ECAC, with Sacred Heart and Army (welcome back Army!)... that'd be 16 teams. Two divisions of 8... play your own twice, others once... is 22 games still.

Oh geez, not Army again...although maybe third time's the charm for them...nah, probably not. :-P

I'm not a big fan of unbalanced schedules, but the way you propose it, that doesn't sound too bad. What would the divisions be?

West(/North?)
-------
Niagara
Canisius
Cornell
Colgate
St. Lawrence
Clarkson
RPI
Union

East(/South?)
------
Harvard
Brown
Dartmouth
Holy Cross
Yale
Princeton
Sacred Heart
Army

I guess I use the Hudson River as the major dividing point, even though I believe RPI is actually on the east bank and of course Army is on the west bank. But, with travel partners, I think this arrangement makes the best sense.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:04AM

I guess you can't call it the EZAC anymore, you stupid facetimers.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:21AM

I guess we'll have to ammend the Screw BU cheer...

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:37AM

No, please no divisions. I hate that kind of setup. Besides, we all know the way the divisions would end up breaking down - Ivy and non-Ivy. That's how they did it for a couple of seasons in the early 80's and that's how it would work now. Which is way too close to an Ivy League only "conference" for hockey, whcih would be terrible.

Fortunatley I don't see this happening (for now). worry

Posted by: D! (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 02:06AM

Since the Cross seems to be the consensus joining ECAC, it begs the question of what cheers will we be using?

Date: January 08, 2004 07:50AM

B.C. Wannabees...Clap, clap....clap, clap, clap!

JH

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.19.209.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 09:21AM

And if all of the Ivy League schools aren't in the same division and thus play different schedules, it makes awarding an Ivy title near impossible.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 10:09AM

The Ivies will not go for giving up home-and-homes. That is the one thing that has remained constant lo these many years, league sizes, and systems.

I'd be surprised to see any result other than a simple replacement of UVM with another school. But then again, I'm surprised UVM actually left.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 10:13AM

It's doable if the Ivies are willing to use up some non-conference games playing each other. I came up with a scheme a while back for a 16-team ECAC including six Ivies; the teams were a little different, but it still works. Basically, you split into four 4-team quads and rotate divisions:

North/West/Empire:
Clarkson/SLU and Niagara/Canisius

South/West/Ivy:
Cornell/Colgate and Yale/Princeton

North/East/Ivy:
Dartmouth/Holy Cross and Brown/Harvard

South/East/Empire:
RPI/Union and Sacred Heart/Army

You play everyone in your quad twice a year and everyone else four times every three. So each season you play a 2x7+1x8=22 game ECAC season. In the two out of three years when they're not all in the same division, the Ivies use three of their non-conference games to round out the Ivy home-and-home.

Still, I prefer a 12-team league with Holy Cross replacing UVM.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.z066088243.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 10:13AM

[q]Everyone together, now!

AhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHH... SEE YA![/q]

Assgoos!

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (134.74.186.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 12:16PM

So who's up for a relegation/promotion playoff series between Holy Cross and Vermont? ("Aufsteiger! ... Absteiger! ... Aufsteiger! ... Absteiger!" "Which team is the promoted team?" "Which team is the relegated team?";)

Posted by: jy3 (139.127.173.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:14PM

interesting, i didnt see any headline on uscho with this story. am i blind?

anyway, i am surprised that it happened so quickly. they may have been chatting for a while before adam wrote the "talks" story.

i would be disappointed if cornell only played hahvahd once per year.

would it make more sense for atlantic hockey to fold or the cha? could the teams who do not elect to leave for any of the other conferences decide which name/organization they want to be?

oh, and one more thing, hahvahd sucks

oh and another thing, anyone else think that we should give vermont a nice welcoming when they come to town? ok, gonna start a vermont cheer thread now ;-) i think i may buy two stuffed elephants, link them trunk to arse and put them on two sticks so i can hold them up. not sure if i will be able to get into the gut with it but i will get into lynah with it :)

EDIT:
now the story is there :)

Post Edited (01-08-04 13:16)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:21PM

jy3 wrote:

i think i may buy two stuffed elephants, link them trunk to arse and put them on two sticks so i can hold them up.
Make sure you paste the Hockey Least logo on 'em for maximum effect. :-D

16 team leagues?
Date: January 08, 2004 04:36PM

Yeah, that would be good. In those off years Cornell would end up with a grand total of 4 non-conf games.

I also don't think RPI would want to be separated from Clarkson.

Pretty sure we'll just get a straight replacement of UVM.

Vermont and the DIII question
Date: January 08, 2004 09:06PM

I don't think anyone has brought this up, but maybe the upcoming DIII proposal influenced the folks at Vermont to go ahead with the switch. If the proposal passes then three of the tams in the ECAC are going to suddenly (well gradually) be without scholarships. That's likely to hurt the ECAC as a league further. If the UVm folks expect this to pass (and it's pretty close from what I've read, though not a done deal), then maybe that was the factor that gave them the final push (or the new AD the necessary ammunition).

Just a thought...

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 09:41PM

There was a mention of this whole story on ESPN2 tonight during the Rangers-Hurricane game. During a cut-in to the Tampa-Bay Lightning game, they showed Martin St. Louis grabbing a goal and mentioned his status as starting the NHL all-star game....and that his alma mater was switching conferences.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2004 11:03PM

anyone hear anything about the conference call today?? help

Date: January 08, 2004 11:05PM

from ecac.com

Commissioner Buttafuoco's Statement Regarding ECAC Hockey Membership

January 8, 2004

The ECAC recognizes the contributions the University of Vermont has made to the league over the past 30 years. It is our understanding that Vermont's decision was based solely on the strategic analysis for the betterment of the university.

The ECAC appreciates the fact that Vermont is about to begin a $250 million capital campaign to include a new state-of-the-art arena and that its alumni base is largely located in Hockey East communities. We also understand the existing partnerships Vermont has with America East institutions and the fact that Vermont is a public land-grant institution played pivotal roles in this decision.

Although several schools already have contacted us, the league will work through its committee structure to review the membership criteria and the philosophical and institutional fit of any prospective member. It is our goal that this initial process will be concluded prior to the ECAC Championship in March, and that any decisions regarding membership are made not later than the conclusion of the spring meetings.

Built on tradition and success, the ECAC Division I men's and women's hockey leagues comprise the nation's most prestigious member institutions. The men's league, which was formed in 1961-62, includes Brown University, Clarkson University, Colgate University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, St. Lawrence University, Union College, the University of Vermont and Yale University. The women's league, which has been in existence since 1993-94, includes Brown University, Colgate University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, St. Lawrence University, Union College, the University of Vermont and Yale University.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: January 09, 2004 03:26PM

I think there is a plethora of poll topics that one could pull out of this issue. How about some Age?

Date: January 09, 2004 06:43PM

i bet age is pahking his cah in hahvahd squah right now :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login