Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Facetimer?

Posted by Michelle 
Facetimer?
Posted by: Michelle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 07:35PM

Ok what is a facetimer?

Re: Facetimer?
Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2003 07:46PM

from the "Cheers" section of elynah....

facetime \Face Time\, v. 1. the act of going to a large crowded place for the sole purpose of being seen.

facetimer n. 1. one who engages in facetime. 2. one who views hockey games merely as something to do before going to Rulloff's and Dino's.

...of course, it has been progressing to a more general derogatory term all year, culminating in the recent (satirical?) posts by a certain (infantile?) character....

Post Edited (12-15-03 19:48)

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 07:47PM

From the cheers page ( [elynah.com] )

Definitions
sieve \Sieve\, n.1. a device full of holes by which a coarse material may be separated from a finer material 2. the opposing goalie

facetime \Face Time\, v. 1. the act of going to a large crowded place for the sole purpose of being seen.

facetimer n. 1. one who engages in facetime. 2. one who views hockey games merely as something to do before going to Rulloff's and Dino's.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 07:47PM

Damn, you cut and paste faster than me :)

Posted by: Dave (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 07:48PM

gee, I can't wait for the inevitable sarcastic/rude/stupid comments from you-know-who to pollute this thread..

Date: December 15, 2003 07:48PM

eh, you weren't so lazy as to avoid including the link....

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 10:11PM

I don't think you truly grasp the facetimer concept, so I have developed a series of tests to determine whether you are a facetimer:

You are a facetimer if --

1) You have season tickets to Cornell hockey in the student sections and are not a student.

2) You create a website devoted to Cornell hockey.

3) You take a shit in a luxury box in Albany (twice), when you don't own said luxury box.

4) You are a member of the Pep Band.

5) You think Adam Wodon is the most knowledgeble guy out there (afterall, he did go to Ithaca College).

6) You post a link to a story on USCHO on this forum (This includes checking the rankings on Monday so that you can be the first to post on eLF where Cornell ranks).

7) You think the name "Beeeej" is cool.

8) You believe the answers to every question are contained on the eLynah website.

9) You think correcting people's grammar on this forum is funny.

10) Your name is Greg Berge '85.

11) You are in your late 20's and can't get laid.

12) You think you are friends with the players when you approach them at Trillium.

Date: December 15, 2003 10:15PM

By the way, just by asking what is a facetimer means you're probably a facetimer. You stupid facetimer.

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: December 15, 2003 10:25PM

Facetimer would've made a great subject for Pavlov's experiment. Ring the bell, and he comes in barking and salivating.

Date: December 15, 2003 10:46PM

RedAR wrote:

Facetimer would've made a great subject for Pavlov's experiment. Ring the bell, and he comes in barking and salivating.

Don't feed the trolls. You stupid facetimer.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 12:23AM

Although the act of writing this probably makes me a facetimer...

The only other place besides this forum I've ever seen the word used was in the "Student Handbook" that CU issued. As a facetimer, I still managed to find my copy. There are 3 index references to facetime in that publication:

- In the "Cornell Glossary and Alphabet Soup Decoder" section, "Factime" is defined: "A Cornell social tradition, it means being in the right place at the right time and -- most important -- being seen"

- In the "Tried and True Survival Pointers" section: "Speaking of meeting people, don't overlook "facetime," a Cornell social tradition. Nine o'clock break in the Straight's Ivy Room, afternoons or evenings in the "fishbowl" at Uris Library, or appearances at any of Cornell's gathering places provide opportunities for you to see and be seen by other noteworthy Cornellians."

- In a "ProTIP" sidebar from the Information and Referral Center, there is a list: "Best Facetime: Willard Straight Hall, Sunbathing on the Straight steps, Trillium, Course exchange, Sunbathing on the Trillium steps, The Arts Quad, Psych 101, The "cocktail lounge" in Uris Libe, Working at the Information and Referral Center, Concerts, Victory Club"

My point being that "facetime," if it ever was a hip phrase on campus, was adopted by the administration as a lame piece of jargon to try to pass on to freshmen in various lame methods like the Student Handbook. In the last 2 -3 years or so, it has somehow worked it's way into becoming a commonly used, grievous insult on this forum...and it's overuse as an insult is now being mocked by the poster known as "facetimer."

Date: December 16, 2003 12:42AM

Hey Rich H '96, you're a stupid facetimer. Way to make sure to look up every single definiton of a word you still don't understand. If you want to see what a facetimer is I suggest you look in a mirror, or at the faces of Cowbell Guy, RedAR, Jacob '03 or any of the other facetimers that inhabit this forum.

Date: December 16, 2003 12:44AM

Rich,

I think the term "facetimer" was derogatory well before 2 or 3 years ago within the hockey context. I clearly remember the term having negative connotations while I was in school (graduated '97). The term "facetime" in general never had the negative connotation, however.

I'll save Facetimer the trouble and just announce that I am a facetimer.

Ring Ring

Date: December 16, 2003 12:59AM

Good to see you admitted it. Now admit that Todd Marr is a facetimer as well.

Date: December 16, 2003 01:09AM

well, i said "general derogatory term all year." while it might have always been derogatory in the hockey context, i assumed it was done in the sense of the definition given on elynah. when i said "General" and applied it to this year, i meant that this year some on this board have been throwing it around more liberally-anyone who might have been a remote cause to them not getting a ticket was suddenly a facetimer, regardless of their motives or how they acted at a hockey game. i assume this is part of the reason Facetimer is being such a baby about these things.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 02:55AM

Facetimer wrote:

Hey Rich H '96, you're a stupid facetimer.

Gee I didn't see that coming, since that's all you ever say. Is there anyone who is a smart facetimer?

[q]or any of the other facetimers that inhabit this forum.[/q]

If you hate it and us so much why bother? Oh, because you're nothing but a troll getting your rocks off annoying this community. Thanks, dipshit. Enjoy the time you're wasting in your internet cafe or wherever your pulling access, coward. I can hear your Butthead-inspired laughter now.

My first post in this thread was in reply to Michelle. And this is the first and only time I'll be feeding this troll. I can't wait to read the sarcastic reply.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 08:47AM

Of the 12 items on your list, I'd say 8 are exactly opposite of the characteristics of a facetimer. You've actually laid out the definition of what used to be known (affectionately) on Hockey-L as a "get-a-lifer," as in, someone who has no life OUTSIDE of college hockey. Facetimers are the exact opposite - people who don't really care about hockey but show up to the games anyway.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 16, 2003 10:16AM

Ah, yes, logic and sense. Surely that will appeal to Mr. Timer's sense of decency.

What are you, Robb, nuts? nut You might as well try to teach a pig to sing.

Beeeej

Date: December 16, 2003 10:47AM

The bells never fail.

Let's try it again.

Ring Ring

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: December 16, 2003 11:02AM

This thread reminds me of my freshman year, when a dorm-mate called me a liberal. It was the most heinous insult he could come up with, and I just laughed and laughed.

Date: December 16, 2003 11:30AM

Shut up you hippie.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 01:07PM

swimming by ... not going to say it yark

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 04:07PM

Continuing the porcine theme, there's a great saying: Arguing with an engineer is a lot like mudwrestling with a pig - after a while you realize that the pig enjoys it!

Just can't let a good argument pass me by! <cue Monty Python argument sketch>

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 16, 2003 04:27PM

Robb '94 wrote:Just can't let a good argument pass me by! <cue Monty Python argument sketch>
That was not five minutes!

Posted by: Facetimer (207.111.3.---)
Date: December 16, 2003 05:27PM

Robb '94 wrote:

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like mudwrestling with a pig - after a while you realize that the pig enjoys it!

I'm in the ILR school. You stupid facetimer.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 16, 2003 06:02PM

Facetimer wrote:

Robb '94 wrote:

Arguing with an engineer ...

I'm in the ILR school. You stupid facetimer.
How embarrassing for me.

Posted by: pavlov (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 06:18PM

Facetimer wrote:

Shut up you hippie.

Bite me - BOW WOW! screwy

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.113.199.249.ts46v-08.ftwrth.tx.charter.com)
Date: December 17, 2003 07:37AM

Gee, Facetimer, then maybe I wasn't talking about you, but about myself. Nah - that couldn't be. Everything is about you, isn't it? Deducing otherwise would actually require maturity and logical thought, so I don't hold much hope that you'll ever get it. Good luck in ILR school.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: December 17, 2003 09:52AM

Pavlov,

That hippie comment was to me, not you.:-(

Damn facetimers.....laugh

Date: December 17, 2003 05:21PM

I like Ken.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 17, 2003 06:10PM

"Facetime" as jargon was definitely in common use in the early '80s when I was on campus.

Tower libe was also known as "facetime libe" because you went there in the evening, ostensibly to study, but really for facetime. Certain courses were clearly felt to be facetime courses - not especially difficult, large survey courses such as Psych 101, History 345 (number ?), Econ 101, etc. -which often had to be held in Bailey Hall.

If you were not in the in crowd, facetime definitely had a connotation of shallowness, though if you were "in", or hoped to be "in", facetime was a good thing.

In our current situation...yark

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login