Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Straight from deep throat

Posted by Erik 04 
Straight from deep throat
Posted by: Erik 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 03:25AM

Very dismayed at the current state of our Cornell hockey team. Though we are coming off a nice weekend against Brown/Harvard. Unfortunately, we are plagued with injuries both to players and coaches.

Injuries:

Coach Schafer: broken hand (happened after Ohio State game ;-) )
Gleed: out 6 weeks from cut to face, that fractured his jaw (NO PENALTY ON THE PLAY!!!!! REFS ARE SH%T!!!)
McKee: mono
Marr: I believe torn muscle in leg, and dislocation in hip

Current Goalie: Chabot. If I were Chabot, my confidence would be shot. Coach Schafer has told him earlier this season that he would get no playing time, ever!!!

Post Edited (12-10-03 03:33)

Re: Straight from deep throat
Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 03:40AM

marr was dressed throughout the harvard-brown weekend. we did not dress him in the past when he was injured, which indicates that he is capable of playing.

if mckee has mono, he could only have "developed" it between saturday and now. if he had it during the weekend, he played amazingly, i say everyone should get mono then if they're going to play like that.

i also doubt the chabot comment from schafer.

if the gleed jaw fracture is in fact true, that really sucks. he was doing a really good job this year, after he was given an opportunity to show his stuff.

mike '04

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 10:04AM

I'm just curious but where can you go to find out about the injuries our players have?

(or is it just speculative?)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.z066088243.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 10, 2003 10:26AM

Trillium ;-)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 11:24AM

Really doubting this info from Swebaron. The hit to the face of Gleed happened Friday night vs. Brown, and he was in the starting lineup Saturday vs. Harvard. He played quite well too.

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: December 10, 2003 12:11PM

Maybe he didn't know his jaw was fractured yet??? uhoh

Posted by: underskill (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 12:53PM

Well it wouldn't surprise me about Chabot, you can't be too high on him considering he hasn't been able to get ahead of McKee on the depth chart.

goalie depth chart
Posted by: jason (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: December 10, 2003 02:19PM

Your comment suggests that McKee is #2 (and presumably getting starts because of a Marr injury), but I don't remember seeing anything originating from the team/coach that suggests that is the case, McKee very well may have the #1 spot even after Marr returns to full health. When I was talking about the goalies during a game chat, somebody (Whelan?) reminded me that Marr was a backup at Northeastern, hardly a goaltending hotbed. Marr held up well enough in his starts last year with a great defensive squad in front of him to have me believe he's solid, but maybe solid is as far as he can take his game. I expect him to have some starts this season, but I don't know if he'll be sharing duties with McKee or just be handed the occasional start to rest McKee. Who knows how Chabot fits in to the mix, but I doubt Schafer told him flat out that he'd never see any ice time.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 08:42PM

Yeah, Trillium is the best place to go, with no wink or anything. Say hi to Moulson and Bitz, they're nice guys and will usually chat.

Some of those lawyer types should comment on this...I heard during a college football game that Colleges (especially Universities nut ) are very sensitive about releasing injury info because it breaks privacy issues. And there are no rules like the NFL where you have to categorize a players status for an upcoming game.

Posted by: Rita 00 (---.tcom.purdue.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 09:07PM

I believe there was a federal law enacted (or soon to be enacted) dealing with the release of a person's medical history and further protecting a patient's privacy by ensuring that written consent is obtained for release of information.

Thus, universities must be very careful about releasing details of a student-athletes injuries. If you watched college football on tv this season, the sideline reporters used the above reason on why they could not confirm the extent or nature of a player injury.

In the case of pro football players, either the teams or NFL may be having their players (employees) sign a blanket release regarding football related injuries as part of their contract.

I recall this being a hot topic of discussion on ESPN radio (this spring or last fall) when this legislation first was announced. there were plenty of fantasy football players wondering about how they were going to get injury info so they would know how to adjust their rosters week-to-week.

Date: December 10, 2003 09:10PM

but what those fantasy football participants didn't realize is that coaches used to and still do use the injury listings to keep opponents (and fantasy football coaches) off balance!

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 09:17PM

True, but the pros have injured reserves or the disabled list, which tells you for certain that a guy is out and a minimum duration.

Date: December 10, 2003 09:23PM

And you can translate those to college sports...usually travelling and dressing. Of course those also aren't announced... nut

Date: December 11, 2003 10:47AM

I believe there was a federal law enacted (or soon to be enacted) dealing with the release of a person's medical history and further protecting a patient's privacy by ensuring that written consent is obtained for release of information.

It's called HIPAA. Health Information Privacy Act (don't remember the last A.) It came out in April or May.

Posted by: LynahFaithfulS (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 11, 2003 12:51PM

umm actually its HIPPA--Health insurance portability and accountability act of 1996. (!?!) yes 1996, and they debated and rewrote over and over until it finally was enacted in April. it sounds like a good thing...but its NOT. (if you ever complained about length of time in an ER...HIPPA just tripled it)

though i do think that injured players can tell the Faithful if they want, ir keep it to themselves. yes, i'm curious too, but they should get some privacy...

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: December 11, 2003 12:54PM

Erica wrote:

It's called HIPAA. Health Information Privacy Act (don't remember the last A.) It came out in April or May.

Actually, HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act and was passed in 1996. But yes, you are correct in that HIPAA tightens the privacy standards surrounding medical information. It took affect on April 14th of this year. Specifically, personal medical information may not be used for purposes not related to health care without written consent of the patient.

Pedantically yours.

John

Date: December 11, 2003 12:59PM

i mean HIPAA, not HIPPA rolleyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2003 01:28PM

[Q] young faithful 07 wrote:

HIPPA--Health insurance portability and accountability ...it sounds like a good thing...but its NOT. (if you ever complained about length of time in an ER...HIPPA just tripled it)[/Q]I don't know where you get this from? As a physician, I support this. Basically what it means is that your health info cannot be released without your consent. Yes there are details, but my office works with it very well, and I cannot see how it would triple your time in the ER.

Think about it, do you want a secretary in the ER, or elsewhere, to tell your private medical info. Worse yet do you want your doctor's billing company selling info to insurance or drug companies?

Yes we cannot get all the info about player's injuries, but was it really our right to know all about them in the first place? In the pros there are stipulations in the players/ owners/ league agreements where certain of this is waived by players and can be told, if fact has to be told, to an extent. But our students are not pros, so they still deserve some privacy.

Date: December 11, 2003 02:10PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:
Yes we cannot get all the info about player's injuries, but was it really our right to know all about them in the first place?

thats exactly what i am saying. (i am just admitting that i too wonder if players are hurt--i'm not saying i should be told, just that i'm curious)

i got the information from a physician (father), and personal experience (working in a hospital as an ER tech). i'm just saying that HIPAA is excessive and medical histories never should have made public in the first place. if secretaires in an ER are telling people others' medical information....something is wrong there in the first place.
as an example, according to HIPAA, we (as in the techs, or whoever is taking a patient back into the ER) are not allowed to call the persons name in the waiting room. giving their name is against HIPAA regulations. i know this is true from special meetings the hospital had to set up to inform staff of HIPAA.

i think we are arguing the same point, i just did not articulate it well :-P

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 11, 2003 05:40PM

Yep - another lovely attempt to legislate common sense and ethics... yark

Posted by: Grad '77 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2003 09:55PM

Back to the players, this couldn't happen at a worse time for them, what with finals and all. Plus, Mckee's foot is also still on the mend.

Date: December 11, 2003 10:26PM

Grad '77 wrote:

Back to the players...

sorry...

[Q] this couldn't happen at a worse time for them, what with finals and all[/Q]

there are a good two weeks before the Everblades (which i assume is what you mean...not final exams...?) though--time to heal right?

Date: December 11, 2003 11:32PM

No I really meant final exams (gotta keep their grades going too, and I'd hate to be struggling through finals plus a slashed face or mono...)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 12:39AM

Nothing happened to 'em. Whoever swebaron is just wanted to stir up some controversy. Using an anonymous email in your profile is another strike against you - though there are certainly legit users who did it... and some who have to for their own safety ;-).

Date: December 12, 2003 01:07AM

Grad '77 wrote:

No I really meant final exams...

ok that's it. after this i'm done. time for me to keep my mouth shut. if i say anything else i'll just be digging the hole deeper... help

however, exam time is also kind of a "good" time for these injuries--the guys don't have to be out and about, except for tests (and PT?)...and there still aren't games for two weeks, and that's still time to heal up...i suppose screwy

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 07:33AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

Nothing happened to 'em. Whoever swebaron is just wanted to stir up some controversy. Using an anonymous email in your profile is another strike against you - though there are certainly legit users who did it... and some who have to for their own safety ;-).

*whistles innocently*

Date: December 12, 2003 08:36AM

Yes I agree. More than 2 weeks till the next game, that's gotta help. McKee has a broken bone in his foot by the way.

Posted by: REDhead (---.dialup.lightlink.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 09:54AM

I think Swebaron's post is bs, (I agree with Fred) and I'm also wondering if we should be a little more careful about posting injury reports on eLF. Admittedly I hadn't thought about this before, because I kinda think of eLF as a network of Faithful, but it is the internet after all....a couple of weeks ago Coach Schafer made some comments about the dangers of posting injury info on the web, highlighting the difference between talking about it around town & posting it for widespread availability. He feels that it can and is used by other teams against us...he said one of things he does when scouting another team is search out their unofficial websites & take note of any injury talk, to use as part of team strategy. For this reason he will keep our team injuries quiet (ie Dougie last year)...but if posters are reporting seeing players on crutches around campus, or revealing/speculating on other injuries, it can spread to places we wouldn't want it to go.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: December 12, 2003 10:00AM

Well, in that case, Ohio State, Maine, and Notre Dame take note! All of our players are injured! No need to prepare for these games. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with just your fourth line and walk-ons. Keep your talent at home and rest up!

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 10:18AM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

Well, in that case, Ohio State, Maine, and Notre Dame take note! All of our players are injured! No need to prepare for these games. I'm sure you'll have no trouble with just your fourth line and walk-ons. Keep your talent at home and rest up!

Hell, why stop there? Might as well target this knowledge to the rest of the ECAC as well. No need to worry about Cornell. Move along. :-D

Date: December 12, 2003 11:20AM

I don't think it's so much the fact of nurses talking about you freely. It's more of the fact that you have the right to withhold your medical information from whomever you want, except in circumstances in which you need to be treated. I had to take some tutorials on HIPAA, and it seems they were emphasizing somebody like a boss who can't just call up and ask for your history. It would seem to help against things like not hiring somebody because of AIDS or a mental illness or whatnot. It's good that there are now standards so that health professionals know what to say to somebody who asks.

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 11:45AM

First off, who the hell is this Young Faithful 07 character and why isn't he on the poll for who we most want to kick out of eLF?

Second, I got to disagree with Jim Hyla '67 (who coincidentally is the only person on this forum who is not a facetimer -- he gives me Snickers).

There should be no reason for a law like HIPAA to be enacted. Now that it has been, however, there are many unnecessary effects it has created. Most noteably, certain medical records cannot be released (as they have been in the past) under the power of a duly-executed Subpoena issued by a Notary Public (the most noble of state appointed officials). This creates an unduly burden on legal professionals during the vital discovery phase of a lawsuit. This in turn, requires additional litigation and increased cost to the litigants.

All because Jim Hyla's secretary couldn't keep her mouth shut.

Date: December 12, 2003 12:24PM

No, just send the talent to the beach.

Posted by: REDhead (---.dialup.lightlink.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 12:50PM

Yeah, Age, great if the other teams would take it that way, but more likely they'll match up lines to take advantage of our injured players, and maybe a little slashing or poking the injured limb, hand, foot or whatever.... worry

Date: December 12, 2003 03:02PM

[Q]who the hell is this Young Faithful 07 character and why isn't he on the poll...[/Q]
first of all, don't be sexist...
and the answer to your question--because i am simply answering and asking questions. you are just posting insults.
but whatever, keep it up, i don't care...

(lastly--the HIPAA rant is 'cause i am from PA, have you heard about the malpractice stuff etc going on? rolleyes so, sorry...aiyaa)

ok now i'm really done. :-P no more silly questions/responses from this girl

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 03:24PM

young faithful 07 wrote:

no more silly questions/responses from this girl

Figures, she's a broad...

Do you need us to explain what a delayed penalty or icing is?

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 12, 2003 03:54PM

Anne. Christine. Melissa. Judy. Etc. Take deep breaths. Relax. Ignore this idiot.

Post Edited (12-12-03 15:55)

Date: December 12, 2003 05:00PM

It's not secist to use the pronoun "he" when the sex of the person is unknown. It's just correct usage if you don't care to use the cumbersome he/she. But I, for one, will try to remember that you are a girl.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 12, 2003 05:18PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

It's not sexist to use the pronoun "he" when the sex of the person is unknown.
There is an entire field of study dedicated to disagreeing with that statement.

Date: December 12, 2003 05:29PM

[Q]There is an entire field of study dedicated to disagreeing with that statement.[/Q]Maybe so. But I happen to disagree with them.

Best not to look for offense where none is intended.

Date: December 12, 2003 09:32PM

Or, ladies, just get her IP, find out who she is, and kick her ass. ;-)

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 15, 2003 10:46AM

[Q]There is an entire field of study dedicated to disagreeing with that statement.[/Q]

There's an entire field of study devoted to phrenology, too. Just because freaks are organized doesn't mean they're not freaks! rolleyes

English doesn't have a singular third person neuter pronoun. Deal with it. If anything, using "he" as the accepted neuter option just dilutes its masculinity, so the feminists out there should be happy to have "she" reserved for females only... Oh, and a dancing banana: banana

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2003 12:23PM

I'm not sure I would view modern linguistics scholars as "freaks" (at least no more so than any other group of scholars), and they often debate and discuss gender usage and its social implications. As for English not having a third person singular neuter pronoun, there have been respected advocates of alternatives ("one" is the example that comes to mind, due to its relation to the French third person singular neuter), but many find these alternatives more cumbersome than "he." Others also get around misdiagnosing gender by pluralizing everything, though this method offers its own problems. I can't imagine any student coming of age in today's English classrooms not having discussed at least some of these and other options with a teacher or professor along the way. It'd be hard to designate all these people as freaks as well.

Of course the immediate assumption that usage of "he" in such a setting is sexist is all kinds of shady as well....

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 27, 2003 04:03PM

Gleed is in fact out from the injury to his face and Marr didn't make the trip due to the flu. Samela is in and Chabot is on the bench

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login