Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

To Hide Fish

Posted by melissa 
To Hide Fish
Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: February 01, 2002 08:06AM

Anyone going early to hang signs who is wondering how to smuggle fish in: I am taking duct (duck?) tape. small fish could be taped securely under the ledge of your seat. there's no way that they can be taken away while been door searched then. just an iea/offer for those interested who'll already be there.

Re: To Hide Fish
Posted by: Neil Shapiro '83 (146.145.226.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 08:26AM

If I were you, I would choose duct tape (tape for sealing heating and cooling ducts). The fish would probably object to duck tape.

Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: February 01, 2002 09:13AM

Melissa wrote:

small fish could be taped securely under the ledge of your seat.
My ass doesn't stick out that far...

oh you mean, the under the wooden bench? Seriously, the hard part is getting past security, not dealing with the fish once you get into your section.

-j

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 01:19PM

no, worry about when u are in section if u get there too early...had that happen to a friend!

Posted by: Adam (---.executiveboard.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 02:03PM

That's always one of the great Harvard game conundrums: Balancing getting there early with hiding your fish when in your section early. My feeling is, smuggle it in your pants to get in and then just use your friends as a cover until more fans have surrounded you. Worst case scenario, you need to keep your fish...ummm...tucked for a bit until things fill up. It's once a year, you'll live.

Viva peer pressure
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 08:05PM

Well, we escaped the period 2 delay penalty, but I hope the nitwits got royally... corrected... by their neighbors.

Re: Viva peer pressure
Posted by: Craine (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2002 08:08PM

The correct place to hide fish is NOT on the ice before the 2nd period...

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 06:10PM

Yeah. I know its late but I just wanted to reinforce:

Giving your own team bench minors is pathetically stupid. Why are you helping the opposition? Think before acting in the future. And, please stop throwing bottles at the opposition after the game. Lynah isn't frinedly to the opposition but neither are we assholes.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 06:16PM

I really, really hope the people who frequent the CHDF (and presumably this forum) were not the ones throwing the late fish or bottles. Lynah just needs better policing by the enlightened. The fact that that many people pulled fish out when they did and didn't get lynched by the Faithful around them is disconcerting.

Facetimers
Date: February 03, 2002 06:33PM

I agree Age. I was screaming about it in section B but most people around me (all damn facetimers) were too damn drunk to care. The bigger question is how the hell do all these facetimes end up at the Harvard game? There should be a required initation or something before such people are allowed into Lynah. Sadly enough, I think most of us expected this behavior and thus the bench minor(s). Maybe coach should think about making an announcement at center ice next year before the start of the game about the consequences of such juvenile actions.

Posted by: redice (66.218.5.---)
Date: February 03, 2002 07:37PM

I have a better, abeit unpopular idea. Coach Schaefer ought to give the fish-throwers one, and only one, opportunity to grow up (i.e. stop throwing things on the ice). If that doesn't happen, put a net all the way around the ice. If that option is presented, I'll bet we'll see some very active self-policing of this problem.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 08:37PM

As was said on another thread, maybe the fish thing has outlived its usefulness. Afterall, when there were a few fish and a chicken was tied to the net, it was funny and suspenseful. Now it's just the thing to do, with most people not understanding it at all.

I say, scratch it. If the reason to come to the Harvard game was to harass them, and all we had were words, it would probably be better supportive of the team.

Date: February 03, 2002 09:04PM

Maybe the throwing of fish should end. It really is a waste..... And it serves no point anymore if all it does is result in bench minors for the team and make all Lynah fans seem like a$$holes. Problem is, how do you just kill a tradition?

Date: February 03, 2002 09:39PM

I think the coach could go a long way toward saying he won't support it and then the fans have to police themselves. The ECAC in cooperation with CU could state they would not allow any fish without a penalty. It might be hard for the team with an opening penalty, but!

No more fish!
Date: February 04, 2002 01:04AM

I wholeheartedly agree. Time and time again the Lynah Faithful are looked upon as classless ruffians, and with good reason. We sacrifice decency and respect in the name of tradition, but to what end? It seems many of us need constant reminders that we are all representatives of our school, what with throwing newspaper and fish, shouting during the national anthem, and yelling at players and officials. What's worse, some of these things have been going on since before the current undergrads were even born. Our actions only succeed in lowering Cornell's perception in the eyes of every other fine institution we travel to or host (if you can even call it hosting), and that is truly what matters. Do you really think the players care when the crowd whips itself into an immature frenzy? I'm sure the Harvard participants consider it at most a minor annoyance when they're showered with sea life. We should take our cues from the far more civilized fans at Yale, Princeton, and the like and learn how to properly support our team.

Re: No more fish!
Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:23AM

Well said, Age. Good show old man. Tea tomorrow?

:-))

I really like this laughing dude. Although I feel a little bit more like this guy: :-|

zzzzzzzzz

Re: No more fish!
Posted by: Tom Lento (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:25AM

Damn. Sorry, wrong smiley with the eye-rolling thing. :(

To fish or not to fish
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 04, 2002 09:43PM

When we hosted Harvard in the playoffs a couple of years back, with one of the games televised on NESN, there was a big scare effort which basically implied there would be a penalty at the first tossing of fish (e.g., pre-game announcements). The result was that everyone got nervous and then decided it was safe to throw them with the newspapers, with the result that the cleanup happened before and after the anthems, with the awkward spectacle of the rink crew standing at attention on the ice.

And after the game one of the players asked "Where were the fish?"

I think there's a chance to keep the fish-throwing tradition while fending off the penalties if the announcement Arthur read in the second intermission, about not hurting the team with bench minors, were read in the first intermission as well. Or the ushers who try so diligently to find out who said "@!#$" this time could look for the second-period fish-tossers pre-emptively; since there relatively few of them, it might be possible to stop them. Or we could lose a game because of the fish penalty; that got people to get it straight for a couple of yeats.

Date: February 04, 2002 09:46PM

Age, I think you have tried to imply that I want to throw out the baby with the bath water. I don't see where I, nor anyone else thought we should get rid of all traditions.

You see, some of us were here before the fish, and interestingly enough there were traditions even then. In fact, intimidating fans can exist without fish or, heaven forbid, even without the word suck. Need I remind everyone of the Boston Globe quote from 1970, "Cornell fans made the timbers tremble", referring to the noise during the ECAC's at the Garden.

No, I do not wish that we were like Yale; for I have become hoarse many, too many, times to want to miss that feeling again. However, sometimes we need to admit when some things we do are not in the best interest of the team or the university. IMHO the fish have become that. It seems that too many people cannot distinquish between throwing fish before the game, and throwing them later or throwing anything else for that matter. When the coach has to get angry at the fans, I think we need to seriously look at our behavior and decide the best way to change it.

If you have a better suggestion to curb bad behavior, then I am more than willing to listen to it. All I ask in return is for you to return the favor, and not to blow me, and others, off without responding to the issue at hand.

I know this has been a difficult and time consuming time for many fans, but civility is still important, both as a student as well as later in life.

Let's all try and come up with the best solution to difficult problems, while still respecting everyone's opinion.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 10:17PM

I think the best solution is:

(1) Keep the fish tradition.

(2) Widespread info campaign (in the papers, among the frats, in the dorms, in whatever unofficial "inside story on Cornell" stuff circulates on the net) about there being only one very tightly defined time at which it's ok to throw fish.

(3) Significant disciplinary action against anyone throwing any sort of bottles, etc. on the ice, with genuine student support to narc out their own. People who throw bottles are not representative of our traditions. They threaten them because the administration, if sufficiently provoked, will crack down on everybody.

It's possible to change crowd behavior. "The ref f*cks sheep" was a mainstay of the Faithful throughout my undergrad days; now it's all but dead and good riddance. Hopefully, bottle-throwing will die off before it gets started.

Date: February 04, 2002 10:38PM

Jim Hyla wrote:

fans can exist without fish or, heaven forbid, even without the word suck.

And therein lies the core of the problem. Lots of great Lynah traditions have come and gone with little to replace them. Now all we have is little more than suck and fish. The crowd is only on time and vocal once a year. You take away what little tradition is left, and in 5 years we might not be talking about how loud it was all the time, but how loud it was during the Harvard games once a year.

I see no problem with the fish. If it results in a penalty once every five years, that's unfortunate, but it should fall to the Faithful to police themselves, and not have to resort to abolishing what semblance of tradition is left.

new ref cheer
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 12:41AM

Greg, how 'bout "The Ref beats his Wife (repeat)?" I know it's a little vulgar but we're not exactly trying to make friends, rather we're letting him know we're not happy with his calls. . .of course, this would be saved for extreme circumstances.

***Please, (in light of recent threads) do not respond to this
and "rip me a new one," this is a suggestion in good fun***

Re: new ref cheer
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 05, 2002 01:00AM

Personally, I've always enjoyed "The ref beats his sheep" as well as the other hybrid cheer...
;-)

Date: February 05, 2002 07:10AM

sounds like a good plan Greg. Don't know how easy it would actually be to implement. Sadly, I think the % of factimers to legitimate hockey fans is stacked against us and well, let's be honest, the facetimers for the most part don't gove a damn what happens as long as they are obnoxious and amused. As for the "The ref f*cks sheep" cheer - don't think that it is completely dead. Have heard it on several occasions - tho it seems to be saved for REALLY crappy calls (or non-calls).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login