Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ask the Coach

Posted by CowbellGuy 
Ask the Coach
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: December 08, 2003 10:58AM

Just noticed the current "Ask the Coach" thing on USCHO is for our own Mike Schafer.

Re: Ask the Coach
Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 08, 2003 02:00PM

"Is it true that you're the most awesome coach in college hockey right now?" seems like a question we all already know the answer to though.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.z066088243.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 08, 2003 02:01PM

Now's everyone's chance to (at least try to) ask Coach about fish, profanity, toys, etc.

Date: December 08, 2003 02:08PM

Do we really want to put him on the spot in the national spotlight?

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 02:42PM

Presumably, Schafer could simply decline to answer any question he felt put him on the spot - I'd say ask away and let him define his own boundaries.

Date: December 08, 2003 02:50PM

Exactly, Robb. Obviously there's filtering of questions, probably first by USCHO staff to get rid of some of the complete junk, and then by Schafer himself, simply determinig which questions he feels like answering and which ones he doesn't.

Therefore, it doesn't hurt to ask. It's not as if you're posting something to a message board for all to see, keeping the nation waiting with baited breath for a response from our coach.

Posted by: Shorts (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 05:19PM

I'm probably looking really dumb for asking this, but...I can't find the link to the "Ask the Coach" thing (either current or otherwise). Or, is it just in the magazine form?

Date: December 08, 2003 05:20PM

It's on the far left, looks like an advertisement....took me a while too.

Posted by: jason (---.nrp6.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 08, 2003 09:38PM

The question I dare not ask (and even if someone did it would understandably go unanswered) is: "Is there a college hockey program that you'd be willing to leave Cornell to coach?". *Shiver* Just thinking about that makes me ill.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2003 12:55AM

Has anyone submitted "how do you personally feel about the throwing of fish against Harvard, use of profanity in cheers, etc. in Lynah?" yet?

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.113.199.249.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: December 09, 2003 01:35AM

It doesn't really matter whether anyone asks those questions, dss28. Schafer is smart enough to either a) toe the party line and say what the athletics department wants him to say, or b) decline to answer the question....

Date: December 09, 2003 11:55AM

True enough. I guess I was reasoning that if enough people ask him the same general question, it'd be enough to warrant some sort of a response. Enquiring minds want to know, right? :)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 09, 2003 12:07PM

If the intention is to get the administration to back off a little, then airing the issue in public is exactly the wrong approach. This is one of those things that is done, if at all, behind the scenes and with tact.

Date: December 12, 2003 11:24AM

So when does this thing "air," for lack of a better word?

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 12:47PM

Schafer's transcript has now been posted at: [www.ahcahockey.com]

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 18, 2003 12:58PM

Did anyone else notice how he completely ignored the question about Chabot?

If you combine Schafers interest in the NHL and Ryan O'Byrne's Q&A at hockeysfuture, it sounds like the NHL has their eyes on Schafer.

Good job on getting two questions answered, Avash!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 01:21PM

[q]Did anyone else notice how he completely ignored the question about Chabot?[/q]

Noticed it immediately. Telling, isn't it?

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 01:43PM

Thanks....how'd ya know it was me? ;-)

Post Edited (12-18-03 13:44)

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 18, 2003 01:52PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

[q]Did anyone else notice how he completely ignored the question about Chabot?[/q]

Noticed it immediately. Telling, isn't it?
I'd like to think that I would have noticed it immediately also if I hadn't read that he ducked the question here first; it was my question. I can't decide if he ducked the Marr question as well or if the Marr injury is serious enough that he hasn't been able to evaluate him yet.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 02:08PM

Schafer answered my question too! Yay! Well, it wasn't much of an answer, but it's nice to be acknowledged. :-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 02:20PM

[Q]Min from Atlanta, GA

Have you ever thought about coaching in the NHL? (Personally, I hope you stay in Cornell forever). Thanks.

Coach Schafer's Answer:

Yes, it is one of my goals to coach professional hockey, but I have never set any type of time table. It would be great to focus on hockey and the players all day long.[/Q]
[Q]Dave from Knox, NY

Coach Mike: As a long-time, rabid CU hockey fan, I appreciate what you have done with Cornell hockey. Please tell me your career aspirations are to stay at Cornell and bring home a national championship.

Coach Schafer's Answer:

Yes, one of my career goals is to win a National Championship and will stay at Cornell University as long as that goal is shared by our Athletic Department.[/Q]So, does he stay till NCAA Championship and then bolt, or leave sooner if opportunity knocks?

Personally I don't see him getting a head coaching job, and don't know that he'd like to move around again as assistant coach, but ?

Date: December 18, 2003 02:22PM

Winning an NCAA championship would certainly put him on the market.

Date: December 18, 2003 02:29PM

I was a little thrown by the "which player most surprised you" question...

Bâby has always been my favorite player... and to a large extent, I follow his career now. I knew he was a great all-around player... given Schafer was doing the recruiting, wouldn't he be aware of this? How can you be "surprised" when one of your players does well, or better than you "expected" when you've hand-picked them? This seems to be a good candidate for the backhanded compliment award.

Date: December 18, 2003 02:30PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:

[Q]Min from Atlanta, GA

Have you ever thought about coaching in the NHL? (Personally, I hope you stay in Cornell forever). Thanks.

Coach Schafer's Answer:

Yes, it is one of my goals to coach professional hockey, but I have never set any type of time table. It would be great to focus on hockey and the players all day long.[/Q]
[Q]Dave from Knox, NY

Coach Mike: As a long-time, rabid CU hockey fan, I appreciate what you have done with Cornell hockey. Please tell me your career aspirations are to stay at Cornell and bring home a national championship.

Coach Schafer's Answer:

Yes, one of my career goals is to win a National Championship and will stay at Cornell University as long as that goal is shared by our Athletic Department.[/Q]So, does he stay till NCAA Championship and then bolt, or leave sooner if opportunity knocks?

Personally I don't see him getting a head coaching job, and don't know that he'd like to move around again as assistant coach, but ?
If you parse his responses differently, they aren't inconsistent. He wants to coach in the pros but, as you said, they probably aren't knocking down his doors yet. That ambition is separate from his goals as a college coach.

He wants to win a national championship and he will stay at Cornell (as opposed to, strictly by way of example, North Dakota) as long as the Athletic Department is also committed to giving him the resources/commitment to that same goal.

Date: December 18, 2003 02:32PM

dss28 wrote:

Bâby has always been my favorite player... and to a large extent, I follow his career now. I knew he was a great all-around player... given Schafer was doing the recruiting, wouldn't he be aware of this? How can you be "surprised" when one of your players does well, or better than you "expected" when you've hand-picked them? This seems to be a good candidate for the backhanded compliment award.
You can expect a guy to be good and be surprised when he turns out to be one of the best college players in the country. Bâby improved quite a bit between his freshman and senior years.

Post Edited (12-18-03 14:32)

Date: December 18, 2003 02:42PM

No argument re: improvement... and granted I'm biased, but still. It seemed a bit odd...

Date: December 18, 2003 02:50PM

Coach sure dipped into the bag 'o clichés enough times in his responses :-)

Certainly nice to see his thougts on a wide variety of issues. I found the "stay at Cornell as long as the AD is commited to winning a championship." I read it as saying he'll stay with us at least until he wins an NCAA, but provides him with a fairly abstract reason for getting out if he wants out.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 05:55PM

I agree. It was the improvement that made Bâby one of my favorites, too.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2003 05:56PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

Schafer answered my question too! Yay! Well, it wasn't much of an answer, but it's nice to be acknowledged. :-)

Ditto.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 18, 2003 11:58PM

I was a little thrown by it, too, but only because it was my question and I was credited as "Cornellhockey07 from Ithaca." screwy

Beeeej

Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 19, 2003 01:34AM

I would've credited you the biggest facetimer of them all. But that is just me.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 09:02AM

dss28 wrote:

Steve did move like a bag full of elbows as a freshman. Maybe his improvement in skating was better than Mike expected. Likewise, I doubt the scouting process gave any insight as to how great a leader Steve was. If the AHL doesn't pan out in a season or two, I'd expect to see Steve back at Cornell as an assistant coach.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: December 19, 2003 05:24PM

I read it as "I'm coaching in the Ivy League, and God only knows when the Presidents might get a wild hair and make it impossible to compete."

Much as when the Ivy League caused the break-up of the old ECAC and the formation of Hockey East.

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login