Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard/Brown away weekend

Posted by big red dog 
Harvard/Brown away weekend
Posted by: big red dog (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2003 12:45PM

I was just wondering how many people go to Brown following the Hahvahd game? A bunch of us want to make the trip and were also wondering what section Cornell fans usually take over...anybody have any other useful advice (where to stay, eat, party?) :-)

Re: Harvard/Brown away weekend
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 07, 2003 01:11PM

We usually have a solid crowd for Brown. Many Cornell alumni in Providence and eastern Conn make that game even if they miss Harvard. Like Princeton, it's a good game for meeting much older fans (no wisecracks -- I mean for example fans who date from the Paul Patton era).

These games are huge this year. I hope they're being over break but well past the holiday (1/9-10) actually drives attendence *up* with fans from all over the Boston-Philly corridor.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.113.199.249.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: December 07, 2003 01:23PM

I'll definitely be at both games. Is Brown selling out? I haven't gotten tickets yet - intend to do so this week.

Let's Go RED!

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 01:46PM

yeah, does anyone know (if there are tickets remaining), where to get them (which section is the cornell section)? also, if people have the brown box office number, that'd be nice too. i'd go to brown after harvard, if it's not sold out

mike rosenberg

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 03:06PM

Getting tickets for Brown usually is not difficult. A friend of mine called a few years to buy tickets over the phone and the woman laughed. She said we didn't need to, just show up, there will be tickets available. Now, this year the team does have potential. So, there might be a little more demand. So, wouldn't hurt to buy tickets in advance. The number is on their athletic site. We usually occupy the "far" side of the rink from the entrance.

-John

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 04:03PM

Several of us bought tickets from the Cornell ticket office this weekend. They were in Section P.

Date: December 07, 2003 07:58PM

john.
thanks for the info. i think i met you in estero last yr by the way. i will call the cu box office tomorrow and get tickets for me and jamie (the guy in the hornby jersey and the derby hat with devil horns) in the cu section. we hope to see you there. we are leaving from harvard on saturday morning. do you (or any other alums/students out there) happen to have
1)directions from harvard to brown, and
2) know where we can park for saturday (at the brown arena?). thanks so much.

-mike rosenberg '04

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2003 10:05PM

Is anyone traveling from CT? I'd love to arrange a carpool if possible...

Posted by: big red dog (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 07, 2003 10:25PM

Thanks for the help everyone, anyone know where the faithful meet up after the games?

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: December 07, 2003 11:52PM

John Harvard's was the place to be in Cambridge last year (both before and after the game).

Post Edited (12-07-03 23:53)

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2003 11:55PM

And here I was about to go to Jillians... :-P

What about the Cornell Club of Boston? I know the Greater Hartford Cornell Club hosted a thingie at Anna Liffey's after the Yale game...

Date: December 07, 2003 11:58PM

it is difficult to get a reservation at john harvards. last year it was all cornell beforehand. they take FOREVER to serve you...allow 2 hours at least, before you plan to be at the game (and it's a little bit of a walk too)

mike

Date: December 08, 2003 12:10AM

Mike wrote:

it is difficult to get a reservation at john harvards. last year it was all cornell beforehand. they take FOREVER to serve you...allow 2 hours at least, before you plan to be at the game (and it's a little bit of a walk too)

mike

First off, everything is a little bit of a walk to Lynah East. And was "it was all Cornell beforehand" supposed to be one of the reasons not to go? There is a poetic justice to filling John Harvard's with Cornell fans that is certainly worth the wait (which I have never found to be a problem). And don't worry about a reservation ( laugh ); it's a bar with plenty of places to stand and sing Davy while you wait.

Date: December 08, 2003 12:50AM

no it was a reason TO go. they hassled us and i had already secured a reservation the day before by schmoozing with a manager. i was just warning people to get there very early. they are very slow to serve, are very busy, and you don't want to be late to the game, like we almost were last year.

Date: December 08, 2003 12:58AM

I'm pretty sure we went around 5 or so last year and got a table with no trouble at all.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 01:50AM

Okay, so here's a question for everybody... where do people stay when there's a Harvard on Fri and Brown on Sat weekend? Not which hotel, but which city?

If I stay in Boston, then I have to get up early on Saturday (remember, I'm a college student... before noon = early ;-) ) to check out, and drive down to Brown. Also, if I want to go out after Brown, then I need another hotel in Providence. Would seem easier to just do a very late check in in Prov on Friday after the Lynah East game, and stay there two nights. Of course, that would prohibit the bar after Hahvahd.

What do people think?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 08:07AM

John Harvard's was definitely a lot of fun last year. Songs are sung, we cry "Hahvahd...SUCKS!" every five minutes, the food and beer are good...but show up early if you want to eat, because it WILL be busy that night.

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: December 08, 2003 09:10AM

Dinner in the Square:

John Harvard's depends on how early you get there. If you go at 4 you can get dinner and beer before the rush and then just hang out and enjoy the sea of red. We've done this with groups as large as 16 and not had a problem. If you go later and expect to order, eat, and pay in time to get to the game, things get exciting.

There are a few places to just duck in and have a quick dinner before the game. My memory of Harvard Square's roads is dimming, but the Uno's on JFK (?) is good. The WurstHaus is dead and buried, I think, and they were slow servers even on a light night (great food, though).

Grendel's is an excellent restaurant -- you probably need reservations, and it's pricey.

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: December 08, 2003 09:51AM

brown is only about a 45 minute drive from Boston. Is it possible to stay in Boston and go out after the Brown game without drinking yourself to DTs so that you can drive back to Boston that same night? Really, you don't have to go crazy to have a good time.

Posted by: kaelistus (65.223.150.---)
Date: December 08, 2003 10:14AM

Grendel's? Pricey?? WHAT!?!?

Are you talking about the same grendels that offers half off pricing with purchase of beer? I go there every monday and have beer + food for around $6. You're smoking something, that's the cheapest restaurant/bar in the area.

Oh, and I don't think they take reservations.

Date: December 08, 2003 10:18AM

Felix Rodriguez wrote:

Grendel's? Pricey?? WHAT!?!?

Are you talking about the same grendels that offers half off pricing with purchase of beer? I go there every monday and have beer + food for around $6. You're smoking something, that's the cheapest restaurant/bar in the area.

Oh, and I don't think they take reservations.

Is the food good, taking the price into consideration?

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 10:59AM

I just bought tickets from the Cornell ticket office today, Monday Dec 8, so there are still some available there...

Posted by: jbeaber1998 (---.boston.tufts.edu)
Date: December 08, 2003 12:22PM

They have happy hour, where the whole menu is half price with the purchase of a beer. I am with Felix every Monday, trust me, we know. The food is pretty good, comparable to typical bar fare. No french fries, though.... Try the burrito, my personal favorite.

-J

Date: December 08, 2003 12:26PM

Is there a particular reason why you, Felix and John, go there on Mondays as opposed to any other day of the week? Just a weekly tradition for you guys or does it happen to be cheaper on Mondays for some special reason?

Date: December 08, 2003 01:27PM

Well, um, Grendel's was pricey, back in the day. I'm interested to know, though, is it still a great restaurant? It was once one of the best in the area. Maybe times (and demographics) have changed that too.

Nobody's mentioned a place to eat/meet in Providence. Which is maybe saying something... ;-) They've done one of those Gentrification Gone Wild makeovers of their old warehouse district (see also: Boston, Baltimore, Seattle, Portland, etc...) but I don't know whether they went the "upscale restaurant" route or the "knick-knacks indistinguishable from those found in airports" route.

Date: December 08, 2003 01:30PM

Monday night drinking crew after taekwondo workouts. Scary concept is that the taekwondo school is an offshoot of the phys ed from Cornell.... Plus, Monday is a damn good excuse to drink in my opinion.

-J

Date: December 08, 2003 01:32PM

Grendel's used to have an upstairs restaurant that is probably what you were familiar with. It is no more, only the pub exists now in the basement....

-J

Date: December 08, 2003 01:37PM

[piglet]Ah ha![/piglet]

Posted by: jeh25 (---.public.uconn.edu)
Date: December 08, 2003 01:48PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:

Nobody's mentioned a place to eat/meet in Providence. Which is maybe saying something... ;-) They've done one of those Gentrification Gone Wild makeovers of their old warehouse district

Union Station Brewery
[www.johnharvards.com]

Trinity
[www.trinitybrewhouse.com]

Both are excellent, although I like Trinity better.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 01:57PM

Grendel's was the pricy upstairs restaurant. Grendel's Den was downstairs, and that part still exists (with copper topped tables and all). Upstairs at the Pudding lost the lease on their space above the Hasty Pudding about the time that Grendel's restaurant (the upstairs part) closed. Now Upstairs on the Square (the expensive restaurant formerly know as Upstairs at the Pudding) is now above Grendel's Den.

Don't worry, Greg, those of us who have been in the area a while knew exactly what you were talking about :)

Chris

Now watch it all you Harvard Square facetimers :-D

[www.grendelsden.com]

Post Edited (12-08-03 14:05)

Date: December 08, 2003 02:47PM

i was also able to get tickets to brown away, through cu, today

Posted by: judy (---.raytheon.com)
Date: December 08, 2003 05:54PM

mmm....creperie...just off of Thayer St by the Au Bon Pain. It's a little hole in the wall place that serves crepes that I was introduced to a year or so ago.

Date: December 12, 2003 06:54PM

so i didn't get any responses about directions or parking, so i'll try again.

i managed to get tickets to both harvard and brown, away. do any alums on this forum, or students for that matter, have:
(1) directions from harvard to brown,
(2) know where i can park in brown for the afternoon and evening? is there a lot at the arena, for instance, where i can leave my car all day? i don't know the area at all.

any of that kind of information would be appreciated, and i think others completing the weekend trip could use it too. thank you in advance

-mike rosenberg '04

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 07:22PM

I haven't been to Brown in years, but my grandparents used to live right around the corner, and I think it's mostly on-the-street parking. Then again, I've never driven in Providence, so anyone who wants to correct me is welcome. :-)

As for directions...I assume you take 95 south from Boston to Providence - it goes right through the city. If you can find the address of the rink, look it up on Mapquest. It won't be far off of 95.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc3.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: December 12, 2003 07:36PM

get on 95 south from Boston to Providence.

I could give you directions but you'd never be able to follow them, I tend to navigate by instinct when I'm up there so I can't tell you the roads or anything, having grown up in the Boston area, and then spent most of my holidays in recent years in Providence...

There is a parking lot at Brown. Else you can park on the street. Don't know how early you have to get there to park in the lot...I've always gotten dropped off. If you get there in the afternoon, you could always park and then go to Thayer street and shop or eat. Lots of interesting little shopes.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 12, 2003 08:03PM

The rink is on Hope Street, up on the hill east of 95. There is a lot in front of the rink where you could leave a car, unless they've changed the rules. But the rink is in a complex with much of Brown's winter sports buildings (although not basketball, IIRC), so if that afternoon there were a swim meet or wrestling or gymnastics or whatever else goes on in that complex, parking might be an issue. If we spot a space on the street we usually take it because you avoid the issue of exiting the lot at the same time as everyone else.

As judy said, the Thayer Street area is kind of like Collegetown with restaurants, shops, etc., and is easily walkable from the rink.

Post Edited (12-12-03 20:04)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login