Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Brown 3 Cornell 3 Final OT

Posted by Chris 02 
Brown 3 Cornell 3 Final OT
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2003 07:20PM

Seems that the Brown feed is actually the Brown women's hockey team playing at home versus Colgate. Oh well, at least livestats is working.

Post Edited (12-05-03 21:42)

Re: Brown 0 Cornell 0 1st per.
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 07:22PM

Moulson penalty early. Tripped a Brown guy behind the Brown net.

Re: Brown 0 Cornell 0 1st per.
Date: December 05, 2003 07:22PM

And Brown scores within seconds.

Re: Brown 1 Cornell 0 1st per.
Posted by: kaelistus (---.c3-0.smr-ubr1.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.)
Date: December 05, 2003 07:31PM

Hey guys... what's the Elynah IRC address? I forgot...

Re: Brown 2 Cornell 0 1st per.
Date: December 05, 2003 07:41PM

See the FAQ [elynah.com]

Re: Brown 2 Cornell 0 1st per.
Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: December 05, 2003 07:41PM

Brown SHG.

Re: Brown 2 Cornell 1 1st per.
Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: December 05, 2003 07:43PM

GOAL! Hynes.

Post Edited (12-05-03 19:43)

Re: real audio problems?
Posted by: Rita 00 (---.uoregon.edu)
Date: December 05, 2003 08:34PM

Hi...
I was listening to the cornell real audio feed at work, but the audio isn't coming through anymore, even though the link downloaded fine.. just no noise. I did the obvious things like make sure i wasn't in mute mode and i even rebooted my mac. auuughgghhh. anyone else having problems? anyone experience this before and can help me out?

please... help

thanks,
Rita

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 1 2nd int.
Date: December 05, 2003 08:41PM

There's been someone on the USCHO message board also mentioning some audio problems.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 08:52PM

I emailed ocsn, they say it is an 'audio source issue' that they are attempting to fix. so far, no luck.

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 2 3rd per.
Date: December 05, 2003 08:56PM

Abbott! 3-2!

Date: December 05, 2003 08:56PM

Philip Fibiger '01 wrote:

I emailed ocsn, they say it is an 'audio source issue' that they are attempting to fix. so far, no luck.
Audio's fine on the i2sports broadcast.

Re: Audio Back!
Date: December 05, 2003 08:59PM

Just came back on.... after i fire off nasty email to real audio.
let's go red!!!

rita

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 3 3rd per.
Date: December 05, 2003 09:17PM

Moulson on the PP
lets go red
about 3 min left in 3rd
rita

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 3 3rd per.
Date: December 05, 2003 09:17PM

MOULSON!!! 3-3!!!!

Re: where's adam
Date: December 05, 2003 09:29PM

just curious...
adam wodon isn't doing the radio -internet broadcast tonight.. anyone know why? (i think the person doing it tonight is named Ed? last name????).

rita

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 3 final
Date: December 05, 2003 09:43PM

cornell had to kill off a penalty in the final 2 minutes of ot to hang on to the tie.
here's hoping our first lynah win of the season comes tomorrow night.
rita

Re: Brown 3 Cornell 3 Final OT
Date: December 05, 2003 09:45PM

Well judging from the livestats only....this looks like a game from last year. 13 shots by the opposing team and 30+ for our team. However, I'm beginning to get the feeling the Lenny probably faced the same kind of quality chances. Being the better goalie, he saved them. Lenny for Hobey! Not so for McKee. Kudos to the rest of the team and the PP unit for catching back up in this one.

Guess that first victory at Lynah will have to wait for Harvard (sucks!).

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:09PM

best game i have seen cornell play this year. a well-played game throughout the whole game. i have no clue how murphy was able to rationalize not giving cornell a pp on both of the scrums but oh well. the shorthander was the killer here but the team showed heart to come back. murphy was aweful but that isnt the cause of the loss.

on another note, the idiot usher who came down in A (not the woman, the man) saw me put my jacket in the isle at the bottom of the section and then came over and looked down at it and stepped on it. i could care less about the dirt on the jacket but why did he have to be such an ass? grrr...

Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:18PM

I didn't get to catch much of the game besides OT (soccer practice in the turf room), but my team could hear the crowd all the way from the other side of the building! Definitely the loudest of the year.

CU played a really good OT. Danis thought that that one shot of Cam Abbott's had snuck behind him (I think it was sitting on the goal line but I'm not sure) and Cam had another great play behind the net...can't believe Chris skied the shot, though. And, finally, people were hitting today.

A note on goalies...I hear that McKee didn't play too well, but I doubt we'll see anyone else tomorrow. Schafer had to bring in two club goalies to practices this week because Marr and McKee were nursing injuries. I assume that they're both still a little banged up, which might explain McKee's performance tonight. But if they're both hurt, I guess Schafer would have to go with McKee since he's been starting all year. Marr is very, very good, but you can't hand a guy his first start on the biggest night of the year so far.

Re: where's adam
Posted by: jason (---.nrp6.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:39PM

Wodon was doing the intermission show on CSTV's college hockey broadcast again.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:05PM

Cornell played much better today, cycling the puck well and controlling most of the play. The SHG was a shame because we won the faceoff in the offensive zone, but I think it was Wallace who hesitated with the puck for just a split second and then the Brown player took off. McKee didn't play spectacularly, but to his credit, he made stops after long periods of time without seeing much action.

The second goal CU goal was extremely flukey (a popup that somehow fell behind Danis and rolled into the net) and the third goal was from a terrific shot from Moulson, picking the corner. Danis came up big on a Vesce shot with a few seconds left in regulation and had a couple good saves in OT too. The missed opportunity of the night though was Chris Abbott all alone at the top of the crease in OT but he shot it high. Oh, and we hit a post earlier in the third period on a shot that I could have sworn went in.

Looking forward to tomorrow now. Hopefully tomorrow we don't commit a penalty in the first two minutes of the game!

Post Edited (12-05-03 23:06)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:22PM

[Q]Avash '05 wrote:

Looking forward to tomorrow now. Hopefully tomorrow we don't commit a penalty in the first two minutes of the game![/Q]Agree, here's hoping WE don't commit a penalty before any period. worry

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:31PM

My thoughts on this game (because I know everyone love to hear what *I* think):
- Finally, the fans are back up to last year's level of loudness. Personally, I tried to have a "conversation" with Danis during the second period, about how ugly he is and how he's scaring the children, and that he deserved punishment for ever taking off his mask. I would've said more, but unfortunately, remote control goalie was a little too popular with the section G crowd, so I couldn't yell over them.
- I didn't see the third Cornell goal, really. In fact, I think half the rink were taken by surprise by that goal. What exactly happened there? Did the puck just bounce into the net and behind Danis, then bounce right back out?
- I understand now why Brown is a much more formidable team than they were last year. It isn't just Danis, who is a fairly good goalie on his own, but finally, they have the components to fill in the other questions marks they had last year.
- Starting the Hornby-Abbott-Abbott line seemed strange at first, but I have to say, they did well on the first line, and created a lot of scoring opportunities.
- Gleed continues to do well; undoubtedly, he's earned his place on the starting line. He's come a long way.
- The second Brown goal was another of those rare mistakes given up that, unfortunately, Brown was able to capitalize on.
- I got my DVDs from Age! Yay! Watching the Hahvahd(sucks) one right now, to get myself pumped up for tomorrow night. :-D Nice work on the DVD menu, Age!
- I know it's yet another tie for this somewhat lackluster season thus far, but we tied a ranked team, not to mention making an impact on Danis' GAA. :-D Have we raised it above the 1.00 mark?

Date: December 05, 2003 11:40PM

Third goal was in, hit the metal post in the rear or top bar and bounced right out. At least that's what it looked like by Murphy's call. He pointed right to the top, goalies left, of the net. The red light went on immediately. Anybody in A, B, or O really see it live? (Hey, how's that for a blood type?rolleyes )

Date: December 05, 2003 11:58PM

Overall, this was the best game I've seen them play this year. As everyone said, the intensity was there with solid hitting throughout. Offense is doing great. They controlled the play for most of the game. Defense still is lacking, but improved. Notably the forwards are coming back when a defenseman goes in deep. That was a big problem early in the year.

Defense takes a while to gel, with new, and almost new, players learning the system. However I don't expect the same tight defense that we have seen the last few years. It seems to me that Coach is alot happier with the offense, and letting them open it up alot more as the years go on. I think that means he is feeling he's now recruiting an overall better group of players. Certainly no one can complain that we just play the game by clutch and grab.

When we control the puck in the offensive zone, it's either because of great stick work and speed, Vesce and Hynes impressed me there, or great strength, you can name anyone here. The number of times we just overpowered one or more of their players in the offensive zone, was too many to count. We also wore them down, as evidenced by the shot's as the game went on. Also strikingly by that last powerplay for Brown. It was basically a nothing for them for most of it.

Posted by: MikeT (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 11:58PM

From the back of B, I couldn't tell whether it was in, or we got a lucky break on the call. It looked like it might have bounced off the top front bar rather than the top rear one, after going off the left post.
Either way though, I'll take it.

Posted by: Willy '06 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:09AM

I sit at the top of A, and I think it kind of grazed the top front post hit the top of the net or the back bar and somehow popped out. It was almost identical to the one that wasn't a goal that hit the top post a little before that, but it stayed in a tiny bit longer. I am pretty sure it was in, of course I'm biased, but I don't think we got a lucky break.

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:45AM

Even though I STAND ;-) in B and was supposed to get a great look at it. I wasn't concentrating too well. But it was great that Murphy called it. 2 posts in one night. One called a goal.. that's pretty ok.

But am I glad that we had a GREAT checking game going tonight. Bitz and O'Byrne were hitting alot more and really hard too tonight. We even managed to keep the puck in Brown's defensive zone for extended periods of time while they had trouble trying to set up properly after their 3rd goal. We looked tons more confident along the boards. We did have a couple of defensive mishaps though. Just lucky that only one of them turned into a Brown goal. All in all.. I think this was probably the kind of pre-Harvard grudge match warm up game we were hoping for. Showing some more of that physical edge that made us so feared last season.

Post Edited (12-06-03 00:47)

Posted by: Eric '04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:47AM

I'm in the third row of section A about 10 feet off of the goal line and the puck definitelly went in. It hit the back of the top shelf and immediatelly popped out. D. Murphy was right there and he called it right away, pointing to the back of the top shelf. What I really liked is that he wasn't taking any BS from D anus. It was a great goal and definitelly a great game. Lynah was on fire tonight. Although, I definitelly wanted to see Vesce connect with his point man on the last draw of OT. Who knows maybe we would've won. However, I'm satisfied with a tie. If we come out the same way tomorrow. we're killing Hahvard(sucks).

What did you guys think about the officials tonight?

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 01:00AM

Hah.. Danus... :-D Was that what people were trying to call him tonight? I thought almost the whole of Lynah was just misinformed and/or conforming. :-P

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 01:56AM

I certainly mainly agree. To comment on a few things...

I didn't see the third Cornell goal, really. In fact, I think half the rink were taken by surprise by that goal. What exactly happened there? Did the puck just bounce into the net and behind Danis, then bounce right back out?
I actually thought it hit the crossbar, but if Murphy was so sure I wasn't gonna argue :-D . Although several of you seemed to have a better view than me, so I'll take your word for it. I actually was quite sure that that earlier one went it... it was almost like Murphy decided that two half goals are good enough... hehe.

What did you guys think about the officials tonight?
I thought they were a lot better than most of the crowd gave them credit for. There was that one BS call in which the Brown player looked like he just fell. People got on the refs backs a lot for no good reasons. Offsides that were actually offside, icing that our player actually let the puck go a foot before the red line, screaming for a "hand pass" when the next person to touch the puck wasn't a Brown player... just not that knowledgeable and/or completely, sickeningly bias. Unfortunately, it's been that way a lot this year.

Hah.. Danus... Was that what people were trying to call him tonight? I thought almost the whole of Lynah was just misinformed and/or conforming.
Well, no doubt some were, but yes, the mispronouciation is intentional. Knock him down a notch, and stretch the 'anus' .... "Gimme a D!" "Gimme a 'anus'!"...

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 02:52AM

D. Murphey continues to be almost down with Hanson on my shit list. He is a terrible ref that seems to want to make up for bad calls with random calls later in the game.

Date: December 06, 2003 02:58AM

Murphy's usually pretty bad. Hansen, Dell, Kotyra... we're just awash with them. Just tonight I really don't think he was all that bad. I think people overreacted a ton.

Posted by: Jodi (tuba '00) (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 08:06AM

Does anyone know what happened to Gleed? It looked like he got hurt (cut?) about halfway through overtime and didn't come back out on the ice. The guys at the bottom of section D were going crazy trying to draw the ref's attention to something on the ice after it happened.

The only two ref calls that I had an enormous problem with were Cook's "interference" penalty which was actually for "skating in the vicinity of a guy who tripped over the blue line." And they called an icing in overtime on Cornell although a Brown player had touched the puck in his defensive zone at the top of the circle. Some of the other calls were iffy when viewed through my biased eyes, but oh well. It happens.

In the first scrum, I though Cornell showed admirable restraint after two of their players got clocked in the head, and I thought they'd get a power play from it, but maybe stuff happened that I didn't see.

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 08:57AM

Jon Gleed seemed to be cut in the neck, and there were many spots of blood on the ice in front of Sect. D, between the blue line and the faceoff circle. He got quite a bit of attention from the trainer when he got back to the bench.

I think there were a lot of blown calls tonight - Cook's interference call was awful. They blew several offsides calls as well - I thought the many errors went both ways, but it's a shame we can get better officials for our games.

I thought the intensity shown by the team and by the fans was great - I hope we'll raise that level a few notches more tonight.

LET'S GO RED !!

Ken '71

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 06, 2003 09:25AM

The crowd's intensity even came across on the i2 broadcast. Following the first Cornell goal, it sounded as if the entire rink was physically pushing the team forward, and that kept up for the rest of the game.

It's easy to be skeptical that it does any tangible good -- the players are focused when they're out there. But generations of players (both good guys and opponents) have cited Lynah's noise level and continuous cheering as a factor in keeping their energy up.

This may have been the first game when the crowd realized that they were rooting for an underdog and had to show a little "unconditional love." ;-)

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 10:43AM

the third goal hit the back corner posts - there is no way that it could have come out of the goal the way that it did if it didnt hit the back post plus my seat on the goal line makes it easy to see the puck cross. it was a good call.

as for the crazy straight up in the air goal, it was danis all the way b/c he gave up big rebounds all night and it is funny that one went straight up and then in. what a crazy goal.

i hope gleed is allright.

anyone know who the stars were? I think that hynes was all over the ice and unbelievable last night.

Date: December 06, 2003 11:55AM

[Q]Ken Deschere wrote:

Jon Gleed seemed to be cut in the neck, and there were many spots of blood on the ice in front of Sect. D, between the blue line and the faceoff circle. He got quite a bit of attention from the trainer when he got back to the bench.[/Q]In fact yhis seemed to be one of the worst ref times of the game. It seemed to me that one of our players was trying to tell Murphy to hold up play as Gleed was hurt and not off the ice and on the bench yet. However he would not listen, finally an assistant ref held up the face-off. Gleed was definately hurt and had a hard time getting off the ice.

Posted by: Fieldf04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:07PM

Gleed took a stick to the neck. Don't know if the refs saw it, but it should have been a penalty - didn't look like an accident on Brown's part. Murphy was awful last night. He was laughing with the linesmen on several occasions DURING play. He shouldnt even be talking to them unless play is stopped. He seemed biased against Cornell, but I do remember a bogus interference call against Brown...maybe a make up penalty. But can anyone remember a well called game by Murphy?...I can't.

As far as our play goes, we looked very good tonight, after we shook the butterflies out of our stomachs...first ten minutes were shaky. McKee took until the 3rd to get his head together. Moulson's goal came off a great shot. I think the puck hit the inside corner of the pipes, bounced down and broke plane, and bounced out. I could be wrong, though...it happened very quickly.

I thought we were going to get a penalty when I saw that bottle on the ice during intermission. :-( I hope whoever threw that gets thrown out soon. Fortunately Lynah only sells drinks in plastic bottles.

Lynah has been quiet this year....until last night. The crowd was pumped and it was excellent. :-D

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:17PM

Does anybody remember the last time we had to chant "overrated" at the opposing team? I can't remember if we did for the BU games last year. I can usually hear the band play after goals from section E, but last night I couldn't hear a thing, the crowd was pumped :-)

Posted by: Chips '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:21PM

There were definitely a few weird calls on the night, like when the stickless O'Byrne fell on the puck and drew a cross checking penalty. It -was- cross checking, but pretty insignificant.
There were a few good calls also that I think the crowd had absolutely no idea what was going on. The "Contact to the Head" call on Hornby was definitely one of them. Hornby skated a few feet and aimed a cross check at the guy, who ducked and Hornby fell over him. I thought it was cross checking and/or charging, but whatever. Definitely the right call there, loathe as I am to admit, even though Hornby ended up on his ass. Not to say that every call was correct, but hell, half the rink is booing them the moment they step on the ice, that can't be helping either.

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 12:31PM

[Q]It's easy to be skeptical that it does any tangible good -- the players are focused when they're out there[/Q]

Here's your answer Greg, from Moulson at least, in the Ithaca Journal:

"With this crowd, never say never. And we knew once we got that one goal to make it 3-2, we knew the crowd would be back in the game. It obviously sparked our team."

Posted by: profudge (129.33.1.---)
Date: December 06, 2003 01:11PM

Great game - Just a few comments:

Since we sit in N I had great view of both in and out shots first one: Ref was not in best position to see I thought it hit the post near top corner and a bit of net (my 13 yr old son - better eyes) thought it was in.

Second one: The goal was a great top corner shot by Moulson that was in and out off back of net, off post, so fast most people around us were not sure (I was I was on my feet shouting!) luckily Dan Murphy was in excellent position and made a good emphatic call for the goal.

Both Gleed and Hynes getting the stick to the face/neck towards the end of game and overtime should have been called but then I saw a dozen boarding *smacks* we did to them not called also. So, in the end the reffing was not as bad as some folks seem to feel.

Team's effort was great - a big star to Cam Abbott who was very impressive! As was Hynes!

Brown is for real and I think was one of better teams we will see all year! Yan Danis is for real! he played a great game.

But our hustle and up-tempo team-work in offense zone were wonderful to watch.

Posted by: O.S.B. (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 01:45PM

I thought it was a goal, but what were the thoughts on the signs?

Date: December 06, 2003 02:10PM

Murphy is usually dreadful, last night I thought he was only poor.

Chips '03 brings up a great one that I totally forgot about... the Hornby hit. Actually, from my perspective, it didn't look like the player ducked enough, and Horny did actually cross-check him to the head, and then kinda got flipped over. When you complain about stuff like that, you blow your credibility.

As for the first goal/no-goal... I was looking direct on to it, so I had no sense of depth, but the place it hit I swore it bounced into the upper corner and right back out.

I honestly didn't see the Gleed thing. I hope the guy's alright, he's been coming along real well.

Oh, and by the way, the Bitz comparison to Bâby grows scarier by the day... he did several of those strong-arm-the-man-to-the-goal things, and he's really really good at them. He is pyscho good for a freshman.

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 03:23PM

The first goal didn't look in. You don't have to take my word for it, though - the red light didn't come on, and the Cornell players didn't even break stride. Usually, at least one of the guys on the ice will start to raise his arms if the puck goes in the net. Murphy may not have had a great angle on that one, but nobody gave him any reason to believe that the puck went in. It sounded like it hit Danis in the face, too.

The second goal was clearly in. I was just about to yell "that's a goal" when Murphy blew the whistle and started pounding on the top of the net. It looked to me like it hit the back bar and bounced down and away.

Murphy's penalty calling was weirdly inconsistent, but I didn't notice any bias against Cornell. I thought the number of penalties called on each team was about right, although that was mostly from borderline calls making up for big missed calls. Since everyone was getting away with the big things, it's not much of a surprise that the game got a little bit out of hand. Overall, I thought the game was reasonably well officiated, by ECAC standards.

Cornell played a heck of a game. They were finishing their checks, skating through Brown players like they weren't there, and just looked physically dominant on the ice. The power play was a thing of beauty, the PK was generally pretty good, although they did have some communication breakdowns, and they generated a ton of chances even strength that a lesser goalie wouldn't have touched. Give Danis credit - he gave up some big rebounds, but he also stopped some top quality scoring chances.

This team reminds me an awful lot of the 2000-2001 team that averaged 2 goals per game - both for and against. That team lost a bunch of close games where it outshot and outmuscled the opposition, played stifling defense, and lost or tied because of an inability to finish and one or two defensive zone mistakes. The reason that team was winning more (home) games than this year's team? More experienced goaltending. Give McKee a year (or two) - he'll be damn good. He actually reminds me of a freshman Matt Underhill - he makes some mistakes and gives up a few bad goals, but has good size and quickness. If he works as hard as Underhill did, he's got a shot at being a very good college goaltender, and maybe even posting All-American numbers.

Posted by: Eric '04 (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 03:27PM

Yeah, but except for the fights in the 3rd period and the BS hooking call in OT, I though that they were doing a decent job or at least better than usual.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 04:05PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:
- Gleed continues to do well; undoubtedly, he's earned his place on the starting line. He's come a long way.

Gleed's best moment had to be after he'd broken his stick, when, stickless, he checked the puck carrier into the wall by the benches and completely out of the play. Don't need a stick to do that!
:-)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.rover.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 04:15PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
Gleed's best moment had to be after he'd broken his stick, when, stickless, he checked the puck carrier into the wall by the benches and completely out of the play. Don't need a stick to do that!
And then grabbed a stick off the bench and continued the shift. :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 06, 2003 05:47PM

Josh Herman '99 wrote:

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
And then grabbed a stick off the bench and continued the shift. :-D

Absolutely true. Gleed's performance in the past two or three games continues to amaze me, and I'm happier for it. I like it when players surprise me like that; it reminds me that I don't know everything there is to know about this sport (or, more appropriately, that I don't know anything :-D ).

Posted by: Báby_Fan (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 06:06PM

didn't see this mentioned yet but this was Schafer's post-game comment in the Ithaca Journal wrapup today...

[Q]But we can't dig ourselves (a two-goal) hole. We have to get better goaltending than we got tonight if we are going to be more successful.[/Q]

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: December 08, 2003 09:02AM

Is anybody else embarassed that sections D and E vociferously chanted "overrated" at the end of the game? Arguably, that cheer is inappropriate at any time. In a tie game, it's demeaning to our own team. "You must really suck if you tied us!" Come on.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 08, 2003 10:52AM

Lowell Frank '99, '03 wrote:

Is anybody else embarassed that sections D and E vociferously chanted "overrated" at the end of the game? Arguably, that cheer is inappropriate at any time. In a tie game, it's demeaning to our own team. "You must really suck if you tied us!" Come on.
I disagree, Lowell. Overrated doesn't mean "you suck," it means ... "you are overrated".

Coming into the weekend USCHO and USAT rated Brown #12; INCH rated Brown #7(!). We weren't ranked in either poll and it sounds like we controlled play against Brown (even though the game ended in a tie). An overrated chant seems entirely appropriate. Certainly more appropriate then yelling "sucks" when Cornell is losing, by your logic.

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2003 12:26PM

Anyone else noticing that there's no recap on uscho about this game?

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 09, 2003 01:49PM

dss28 wrote:

Anyone else noticing that there's no recap on uscho about this game?
True, but there is a recap at [cornellbigred.ocsn.com]

Date: December 09, 2003 03:44PM

Yeah, I read that one... it just strikes me as odd that uscho doesn't have one.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: December 09, 2003 04:14PM

They don't always have someone at every game to write a recap. For instance Adam, who might normally have written the recap, was elsewhere.

Beeeej

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rc)
Date: December 10, 2003 04:02PM

But at the same time, there's the inherent implication that being beaten by Cornell is something that would not happen to a *truly* good team (which, of course, it could). Sure, I see your point when you are strictly talking about standings in the polls, but I still think it's a subtle insult to our team.

So I admit to being somewhat biased against this cheer, but I think my biggest problem with it in this case was its use in a tie game. While there are "good ties" and a come-from-behind tie against a top 15 team certainly qualifies, I've never thought a tie on home ice is something the Lynah Faithful should be pounding their chests about, even a little bit.

Posted by: Chips '03 (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 04:11PM

Hey Lowell,

Scooooorrrreeeeboard.

Date: December 10, 2003 05:40PM

Lowell, I agree on some level, but at the same time, I feel this was an *important* tie. We were the underdogs in this game. A tie with the #1 team in your league is nothing to feel badly about.

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 05:48PM

You can't help but feel robbed by the goal posts once...almost twice

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 07:22PM

My highschool coach had a simple solution for such a problem ...
he told us often, "Hey <insert players name> ... don't hit the post!";-) :-D ;-)

oddly, it actually worked ... go figurescrewy

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 08:08PM

Hopefully missing it on the inside

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 10, 2003 09:14PM

I don't think we were the underdog in the Brown game. Defending champs, even after losing guys, playing at home against a team that was expected to be good, but not great. I don't care if Brown started hot and we didn't. No way we should be happy with a tie in this situation. Yes, fighting back for a tie is good after being down two goals in the third, but it's not a satisfying result.

Now, getting a tie against a top team on the road is another story...

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 09:27PM

agreed...especially since it is Lynah. But a lot of the freshmen at the game can't possibly understand the Lynah advantage when they got to experience their first home win the following night.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 10, 2003 09:37PM

To explain a little more, Adam W was commentating for the BU/BC game on CSTV--he logged a lot of miles this weekend. We've had the consistency of getting a recap because Adam has missed so few Cornell games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login