Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NY Times Article

Posted by Adam 
NY Times Article
Posted by: Adam (---.ia3.marketscore.com)
Date: December 04, 2003 08:50PM

My friends Sam '02, Dave '02, Graham '02 and I wrote a letter to the NY Times about the January 9th Harvard ticket plan. It sparked some interest there and I had a couple of conversations with their college hockey writer. If you want to read his brief article on the issue, see the link below:

[www.nytimes.com]

Also, here is the text of our orginal letter:

Dear NY Times,

In the pantheon of college athletics, men’s ice hockey doesn’t garner the same degree of attention as its big brothers of the gridiron or hardwood. However, once a year, when the Big Red of Cornell University travel to Cambridge to take on the Harvard University Crimson, the college sporting world takes notice. On January 9th, 2004, the yearly match up will commence and, if prior years are any indication, Harvard’s Bright Hockey Center will be filled to capacity almost exclusively with Cornell fans. Yet this year is very different than others in the history of this storied rivalry; especially from a fan’s point of view.

The Harvard Athletics Department has decided to disallow the sale of single game tickets to the Cornell game. The January 9th tilt is the only game of the season with such a restriction. Instead of the customary system, fans who wish to view this important ECAC and Ivy League game must buy either season tickets or an overpriced 4-game package from Harvard. The obvious intention is to keep Bright Hockey Center from becoming “Lynah East” for yet another year.

The distinct odor of extortion is making fans gag. In Harvard’s pitiful attempt to avoid the embarrassment of their own students’ blatant apathy, they’ve tried to make it very hard for Cornell fans to attend the event. Despite repeated requests from Cornell students, alumni, and even administrators, the Harvard Athletics Department has refused to back down from this lousy ticket policy. The ironic thing about the department’s impassioned stance is that it’s the most spirited thing to come out of Harvard in eons.

Why should fans who actually want to see the game be punished for Harvard students’ inability to care about anything, let alone one of their sports teams? Was this joke of a ticket policy really necessary? When January 9th comes, it’s inevitable that Harvard Athletics will learn a first hand lesson about spirit and passion when the Big Red’s faithful fans find a way to infiltrate Bright Hockey Center.

But one must wonder, will Harvard students even care?

Re: NY Times Article
Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2003 09:11PM

[Q]"There's no doubt the Cornell fans are very loyal to their team and make no secret about their willingness to travel great distances to see their team play," Sullivan said in a telephone interview. But, he added: "The focus is more on our own season-ticket holders. It's part of a season-long kind of package where we're taking care of our season-ticket holders more than we have in the past."[/Q]

All three of them?

But seriously, I'd love it if someone would explain to me exactly how the Harvard ticket office's actions are taking care of their season ticket holders. They already have their tickets, so what does this accomplish, besides keeping Cornell fans out?

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 05, 2003 01:26AM

Let's give 'em hell...any ideas?

Posted by: Adam (---.sjc.marketscore.com)
Date: December 05, 2003 10:54AM

Well, one idea is not to buy anything while you're at the game. No soda, no hot dog, no hot chocolate. Small, but better than nothing.

Posted by: Ithaca High '00 (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: December 05, 2003 03:38PM

I don't deny that Harvard is attempting to take care of (both of) its season ticket holders here... they're just doing so by trying to keep Cornell fans from berating them and damaging their deluded egos. I mean, it's Ha+rva+rd we're talking about here... is anyone affiliated with the university accustomed to being told they are anything but the best?

Posted by: The Best (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: December 05, 2003 06:19PM

screwy

Posted by: Gabe Heafitz 98 (---.csuglab.cornell.edu)
Date: December 06, 2003 03:52AM

Adam, that was one hell of a letter. You wrote it excellently. Terrific job!

Posted by: Acc8 (---.timeinc.com)
Date: December 07, 2003 02:52PM

Adam-- where can I reach you? I'm a journalist looking into the ticket issue...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login