Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

RPI/Union

Posted by melissa 
RPI/Union
Posted by: melissa (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: February 26, 2002 10:40AM

Ok. In an attempt to move away from the bickering still taking place over last week-end's shennanigans ( don't think that i have ever used that word before :-)) ... kinda dorky but whatever!) what are the thoughts on the upcoing Albany week-end? Am hoping that we can get 2 more W to increase the ever small chances of an at large bid. Union and RPI are both fighting amongst the others in 2-11 spots and want wins bad. Hope that they don't take our team by surprise - which i guess can only happen if our team goes into the week-end overconfident ... something unlikely to happen if coach has anything to say about it.

Re: RPI/Union
Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 02:47PM

I hate the capital district. That is all. twitch

Ok, seriously - Cornell has always (well, maybe that's extreme, but at least since I've been here) had trouble with the capital district trip. Something about Achilles, and we all know about RPI and the associated unpredictability. I'm hoping that Cornell can get two wins, but I think a split is far more likely, and a 0 or 1 point weekend is certainly not out of the question. It's tough to finish a schedule with the capital district trip, and it's even tougher when there's little to play for in terms of standings. Hopefully the NCAA at-large possibility will act as enough additional motivation. One huge positive was the way the team came out and played in the Clarkson game. There was no evidence of a season-end letdown, despite the fact that the RS had already been locked up.

Here's hoping for two good men's wins, and two good women's victories over Colgate. The women could use some extra momentum heading into the playoffs, and if by some chance they get swept it could be disastrous in terms of seedings and whatnot.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 26, 2002 08:06PM

Because I am a stickler, and because I am bored at work today, I took a look at whether the Cap District has been rough for Cornell. In all honesty, it has.

I think the most fair way to judge is the difference in winning percentage between home and road games against these opponents. Which I just happen to have, here: [www.spiritone.com]

The summary is that since Union entered the league (91-92), not counting this year (since we don't know yet how the roadies will go), the difference is:

OPPONENT HOME ROAD DIFF

vs Union 6-3-1 4-5-1 -.200
vs RPI 3-4-3 3-7-0 -.150

Total 9-7-4 7-12-1 -.175

which is indeed worse than Cornell's overall conference stats over the period (I will include them when I get to my real stats, tonight).

Posted by: Chris '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2002 10:56AM

Does our band usually sit in the sections down by the RPI band? Like towards the east end of the Houston Fieldhouse? Not in section 1? That would be great if they did sit in Section1.

RPI SUCKS!
LGR!

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: February 28, 2002 11:04AM

Yes, the Cornell band usually has seats in the east end, assuming my geographical sense is correct. If the RPI band platform is at the east end of the rink, the Cornell band's usual seats are in the far southeast corner. The visitors' fans are usually in the seats at the west end of the rink. (Disclaimer: It's been a couple of years since I was last at RPI and this may have changed since then.)

Posted by: ursusminor (132.250.146.---)
Date: February 28, 2002 12:57PM

Josh, That is correct.

Posted by: curoadkill (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2002 03:32PM

The tickets I have for the band are Section 1 rows H-M.
The information I have from RPI is that they will seat us in God's country with basically no view of the game. I've never been there so I don't know if those locations are one in the same.
And for symmetry, our seats at Union are in the front of sections 5 & 6.

Posted by: Chris '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2002 04:34PM

Section 1 at RPI is essentially like being seated in Section H at Lynah. You get two periods of the RPI goalie and one period of ours. It's the west end of the fieldhouse.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.client.dsl.net)
Date: February 28, 2002 04:46PM

Section 1 at RPI is essentially like being seated in Section H at Lynah.

But the view is worse. There's a walkway between the boards and the first row of seats, and the incline isn't sufficient to give everyone a decent view of the ice. In addition, the whole section looks like the temporary risers you put up in the elementary school gym for graduation and assemblies. All in all, not my favorite visitor's section.

The only good thing is that Section 1 is so far from the rest of the seating that it's hard for RPI "fans" to throw things at you. Objects are much more likely to fall short and land on an usher or security guard.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2002 05:22PM

Here is a seating chart for the HFH: [www.rpi.edu] . By the way, in my opinion, the view from these seats has improved (although it still is as Anne described) from when I was there from 1964 to 1974 when there was wire mesh instead of plexiglass. Also there were many more endzone seats before the renovation in about 1982.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 02:06AM

Section 1 at RPI is essentially like being seated in Section H at Lynah.
Hey. Having tickets in section H this year, I can say that it hasn't been that bad. First, Cornell tends to score most of their goals this year in the 2nd period at home, so we've had a great view of a good number of the goals. (I'll leave it to the stat geeks to give me a period-by-period scoring breakdown to prove me right or wrong). From the right side of G and the left side of H, you're closest to the opposing sieves in any other section, so they can hear everything you say. And it has been a great place to observe the incredible differences between A-B and D-F in a year where they are both so loud, yet so very different (damn you, section C!) Plus the people there are a good mix of townies, grad students, and undergrads, so you can get people laughing at what you yell fairly easily. No, it's no Section A or B, but I've had my time as a student. My only complaint has been that it's hard to hear the band play Davy after goals, and to keep tempo with the cowbell, but that just means the whole freaking place is loud, which is a good thing.

Now, what was bad was that the band used to get stuck in Section 11 in Houston Field House (refer to the seating chart that ursaminor posted to see how much that sucked). We had folding chairs to stumble over, and we were facing...well...not ice. I'd take Section 1 over 11 anyday.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: March 01, 2002 06:36AM

Rich, A current RPI student could probably give you better information, but I think that visiting bands used to be in Section 10 at the HFH, not Section 11. Section 10 still faces the stage, but not as far away as Section 11 which doesn't even have actual seats.

Might I recommend ....
Posted by: Melissa '01 (---.ip.termserv.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 10:15AM

OK. Have been living in Albany area for 8 months and for those who will be hanging around the area for the week-end I thought I'd throw out a few suggestions for places to eat tho my knowledge as of yet is quite limited. Marty might have some better ideas.

Mexican: Fresno's - On route 20 within a mile of the crossgates exits
Chinese: Jade Fountain - same area
sit down with Burgers, sandwiches, atmosphere and Stuff - Big House Grill on Wolf Road or the Albany Pump Station in downtown Albany off Pearl St and 787 ( is actually behind Pearl St - can be seen from 787 - is an old warehouse where the inside has been revamped - pretty cool).

There is also a lot of sit down food chains / steak houses on Wolf Rd. (which can easily be reached by taking 87 north, exit 2 E or W , can't remember)Didn't want any of you to starve or subsist solely on McDonalds.

Or if all else fails you are welcome to eat at my place! ;-)

Have a great hockey week-end all!

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 01:56PM

I lived in Albany, and they featured the best hot wings place I've ever been to (Harpo's, near the SUNYA campus).

Then again, that was in 1987. Things may have changed. ;-)

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: March 01, 2002 03:45PM

I spent a year and a half at SUNYA, and I remember Sutter's Mill (or something like that) having very good wings.

If I recall, they also ID'd hard - I got in at 18 (with an ID that wouldn't pass muster at Dunbar's) because a group of about 8 guys I was out with said "if he can't come in, we all leave." An instantaneous cost/benefit analysis by the bouncer, and 9 guys were drinking a lot and buying copious amounts of wings.

Posted by: Sperris (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 07:26PM

1-1 in the first.
Cornell goal from McRae (Matt?) from Bâby, Paolini has set up a screen.

Posted by: Sperris (---.dialup.ziplink.net)
Date: March 01, 2002 09:08PM

In the third, 2-1. RPI on the PP and having good pressure.
Now only 1:17 remaining.
Empty net for RPI.
44 seconds left.
PP over.
18 seconds left.
5 secs left.
Dave makes a save with 2 secs left.
Faceoff in Big Red Zone.
Kozier on the draw.
Over!

Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2002 11:52PM

On to this weeks shenanigans....by ref Fulton. I taped the all four local newscasts this evening. Two of the four showed the disallowed third period goals. All of the shots of the two non-goals looked like goals on the tape.

I could see no reason to wave off either. Looks like RIP tied us twice!:-(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login