Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Drumroll, Please

Posted by Ack 
Drumroll, Please
Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:10PM

I think, possibly, we might...maybe have a pair of hockey games this weekend that should be more important than life itself. Classes in 2003 are done; Lynah's roof should be flying off Friday and Saturday nights. These 2 games against Brown and Hahvahd may be the most important two this season and it doesn't seem like we're even getting "mentally prepared" for them. Rather, we're insulting each other and playing 8th grade "no I'm not, you are!" games.

As far as I can tell, we'll have as perfect a fan-base as can be this year this weekend. There will be lame cheers (if it doesn't work, just keep trying something else), good cheers, and unbelievably awesome cheers...along with some unbelievably awesome hockey, which is exactly what we go there for.

With all that said, any thoughts on the games?

Re: Drumroll, Please
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:16PM

You got a problem with playing 8th grade, "no I'm not, you are!":-P
Jk ... I'll be there cheering loud & hard for my boys in red (well, not red but you know what I mean;-))

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:55PM

Brown will be tough. On the Brown athletics website for today the lead article is "Danis Named ECAC Player of the Week; Ihnacak Named ECAC Rookie of the Week".

I may be out of touch, but I didn't know that Danis was a Hobey Baker candidate. But his recent numbers are excellent - "Danis has allowed just six goals, in eight games, on 242 shots (236 saves) for a stingy 0.74 GAA, and an impressive .975 save percentage, leading the country in both categories."

The closing of the article reads:
Brown is off to its best start since the 1975-76 season with a 6-1-1 record, is undefeated in its last six games (5-0-1).

[brownbears.ocsn.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:04PM

My thought is that the games aren't quite "more important than life itself"

Posted by: French Rage (---.ece.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:05PM

No, I'm not playing 8th grade "no I'm not, you are", you are!

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:11PM

Danis was being mentioned in the same breath with Lenny early last year. Then he tailed off a little and of course we all know what Lenny did. :-D

But yeah, he's been very highly thought of for awhile. Last year it was more of "who is this guy holding Brown in against teams that should roll over them?" This year Brown seems to have a more complete team, and a complete team with a great goaltender is hard to beat (c.f. 1986, 1996, 1997...)

Cornell is going to need all the energy Lynah can give. An intimidating wall of noise that freaks out the younger Brown players and gives our guys extra legs.

This is the Red's first chance to pull off what would be a huge home upset in a long, long, long time. Even two points would give the team a very strong first third in conference play. Four would certainly make the rest of the league think, "crap, they only looked dead."

Date: December 02, 2003 06:04PM

Statistically, the top 3 ECAC goalies this year will be here this weekend. Brown is leading the ECAC with a 34.3% power play, but we're leading in penatly killing ::knock on wood:: with perfection. Danis has given up a goal while the opposition had a power play...but that occasion is incredibly rare this year. Maybe we can get under a few Brown players' skins and send 'em to the luxurious, fully-accomodated Castle Asselstine.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 07:03PM

Fun Fact: Brown hasn't scored a single goal at Lynah Rink since November 12, 1999. This means that nobody on their current roster has scored in Ithaca. (do what you please with that). I have a hunch that will change, but I really hope it doesn't.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 07:18PM

*smacks Rich for mentioning the Brown scoring drought again*

Must you tempt the gods like this?

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 07:44PM

As long as CU gets a win, I really don't care about that streak. I'd rather have a 6-5 win than a 0-0 tie. After all, I could've easily mentioned something else that really would've had people beating on me in a similar manner.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 07:55PM

Another Fun Fact: Cornell has not recorded a single win at Lynah Rink during the 2003-2004 hockey season.

STRIKE FIERCELY, GODS!!!

Date: December 02, 2003 08:18PM

Good point Rich.

Date: December 02, 2003 08:19PM

Come on. You should know by now that anti-woofing doesn't help...

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 08:22PM

i did not know the fact about brown's scoring drought. i think that is something that would be good to insult their players with. it could conceivably bother their players, just as dartmouth fans (if they existed) would bother last year's cornell seniors if they said that we hadn't won in the last 7 (?) or so meetings.

-mike 04

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:03PM

Mike wrote:
i did not know the fact about brown's scoring drought. i think that is something that would be good to insult their players with. it could conceivably bother their players, just as dartmouth fans (if they existed) would bother last year's cornell seniors if they said that we hadn't won in the last 7 (?) or so meetings.

I think it would be great to taunt Brown's players with if they spend the game not scoring - but I think it would be a very bad idea indeed to taunt them with it early on. IMHO, that's like chanting "Scoreboard!" with a two-goal lead and fifteen minutes left.

Beeeej

Date: December 02, 2003 09:05PM

It is probably a great thing to taunt the Brown guys with BUT I'd hold off until you see how the game is going. You'll feel silly if they start lighting the lamp regularly, even if we win.

If nothing else, I think the fact that I'm feeling superstitious about this shows how much improved Brown appears to be.

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2003 02:44AM

laugh Did anyone else notice the "another sweet save" animation on the brown hockey website? I found it really really funny.. cos it's so ghetto! But at the same time I felt a strange sense of admiration for this crappy animation.. can't put in down in words though. Hmm.. crazy

Courtesy of Crodge2K: [brownbears.ocsn.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 03, 2003 02:52AM

Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94 wrote:
I think it would be great to taunt Brown's players with if they spend the game not scoring - but I think it would be a very bad idea indeed to taunt them with it early on. IMHO, that's like chanting "Scoreboard!" with a two-goal lead and fifteen minutes left.
Agreed, but IF *knocking wood* we are in a position to do it, might I suggest "It's 2003 and Brown still can't score!"

Date: December 03, 2003 03:06AM

**) 'tis ghetto...

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2003 08:58AM

Actually in the last 2 seasons, Brown has a total of 1 goal on their trips to Cornell/Colgate.

Nathan Marsters continues to be the only ECAC goalie with a win in Lynah Rink. To that list, we can now add Mike Betz and Scott Foster, which means there are more CCHA goalies that have won in Lynah than ECAC goalies.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 03, 2003 09:31AM

bigredapple wrote:
Agreed, but IF *knocking wood* we are in a position to do it, might I suggest "It's 2003 and Brown still can't score!"

Might be a little too obscure for the newbies - how about "It's been four years and Brown still can't score"?

Beeeej

Posted by: jason (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: December 03, 2003 02:23PM

While doing the CSTV intermission show, Wodon mentioned Danis as a Hobey long shot, but quickly added that he wasn't sure how a goalie is going to win it if Lenny didn't get it last year.

I'm probably going to be pretty peeved whenever the Hobey is next won by a goalie since I have a hard time believing that he'll have had a more impressive season than LeNeveu --probably won't happen until there's a season with no standout offensive player.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login