Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Defending Mike Rosenberg

Posted by Facetimer 
Defending Mike Rosenberg
Posted by: Facetimer (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:18AM

I've read several posts on this forum of which I find deplorable and insulting to Mike Rosenberg (See Keys in a One-Goal Game Thread).

Mike Rosenberg is exactly what Lynah Rink needs. A smart, clever man who is most passionate about his team. Not only can you find Mike organizing groups of students to travel to Harvard, Albany or Buffalo, you can see him around campus organizing many events for the class of 2004. Further, he has come up with some of the best cheers I have ever heard at Lynah.

I think Mike can agree that there is nothing intimidating about chanting "Mercyhurst sucks," or "Franck is a seive" -- these cheers have all been done to death. This is why Mike and his friends come up with non-conventional chants such as "Which Team is the Ivy League," "Dwyer has Syphillis," or "there is no sex in Champagne's room." For several years now, Mike and his friends have intimidated goalies and teams from their section A seats with unpredictable cheers and insults. This is what gives Lynah Rink its edge.

I submit to "old schoolers" such as Greg Berge that the Lynah advantage (at least last year) came from people like Mike Rosenberg, not from guys like you who think this edge comes from the always clever, but non abrassive "you suck" cheer. Instead of chastising Mike Rosenberg for his creativity, why not come down and meet him -- he's a great guy. You think you own this forum, but you don't. You think you own Lynah Rink, but you don't. You think what you say is what should be, well you are wrong my friend. You are nothing more and will never be anything more than a FACETIMER.

Greg Berge, it says that you are class of 1985 and I am always greatful to alumni that come and watch the games and are part of the Cornell Hockey tradition (including the facetimers), but my god, lighten up. If you don't like the way the Lynah crowd watches hockey these days or if you think the crowd isn't the same as it was back in the early 80's, don't go to the games, it is as simple as that.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Re: Verbing Greg Berge
Posted by: Beeeej (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:49AM

Anyone who thinks Greg Berge is among the "only standard and well-entrenched cheers are acceptable" crowd has not only never met him, but couldn't possibly have read more than one or two of his posts on the topic.

Nobody said Mike couldn't come up with his own cheer, Facetimer. They simply expressed the opinion that this particular cheer, and its timing, were lame. After a loss (or in this case, a tie with a weak team), even "Safety School" feels bitter and unnecessary to many of us, however true it might be.

Certainly questioning Mike's intelligence or devotion to the team on the basis of one cheer, when the insulters don't know him as an individual or know that he's been responsible for other creative cheers in the past, may have been inappropriate. But you basically just did the same thing.

It's about the hockey, dammit. Drop the freakin' puck and let's get some important wins already.

Beeeej

Post Edited (12-02-03 10:50)

Re: Defending Mike Rosenberg
Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:54AM

Alright alright.. Now at least I know who Mike is in the rink. And by all accounts.. he was on FIRE at the Mercyhurst game. No doubt he has been one of the more creative faithful at games this season. But Mercyhurst was his standout game for SURE. :-D Anyway.. I can see why Greg Berge had such a reaction. Cause it seems like such a "No really.. We're better than you sub-standard living organisms" kinda thing to say on the streets. But I think as far as a hockey game goes, parting shots like that are pretty much fair game. If the safety school cheer is so readily used.. I really don't see what's wrong with calling Mercyhurst "Not a real school". I sure did have a good laugh. Face it.. If we weren't the crazy hockey fans that we are, how many of us would have REALLY heard of Mercyhurst? nut

Date: December 02, 2003 11:49AM

Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94 wrote:

Anyone who thinks Greg Berge is among the "only standard and well-entrenched cheers are acceptable" crowd has not only never met him, but couldn't possibly have read more than one or two of his posts on the topic.

I don't think that is possible, since he averages about 50 posts a day. Doesn't he have a job?

Besides, anyone who thinks that I, facetimer, is among the crowd that thinks Greg Berge is among the "only standard and well-entrenched cheers are acceptable" crowd has not only never met me, but must be stupid because he doesn't read my posts on the forum.

"Beeeej," you are a facetimer.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 12:24PM

Mike may be a great hockey fan. He may be one of the loudest guys in the rink. I applaud him for that. Even the best, most creative fans say dumb things sometimes. Or just say things that other good fans don't like. It happens big deal. But not really worth a thread over (so why am I posting here? screwy )

This is a forum. We express our opinions. Sometimes in overly acerbic ways.

By the way, for some of us "don't go to the games" is not really an option. As for Greg - check this out: [members.cox.net]
The man is truly insane.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 12:26PM

Aw heck, without the frame you don't get any labeling that says that the "Magnificent Obsession" link is Greg's. It's from TBRW? (link at left) if you didn't know.

Date: December 02, 2003 12:49PM

Big deal Keith K, I did more mileage than Greg Berge last year and I am not even from Oregon.

I also do not create a webpage to prove to people that I am a fan.:-D

I got news for you Keith K, like Greg Berge and "Beeeej," you are a FACETIMER.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:04PM

Facetimer wrote:

Don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:06PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.
Especially the naked ones, John?
nut

Date: December 02, 2003 01:11PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:

Don't feed the trolls.

I think it is disrepectful to call people names.

You'd think someone who graduated from Cornell twice, and thinks it is disrespectful to start a "which team is the Ivy League" cheer would also find petty personal attacks to be disrespectful.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:13PM

Facetimer wrote:

Blah blah blah.
I count four posts in the last three hours from you, Face. Who needs a job?

Date: December 02, 2003 01:17PM

big red apple wrote:

I'm a facetimer.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:18PM

Facetimer wrote:
I think it is disrepectful to call people names.

Facetimer wrote:
I submit to "old schoolers" such as Greg Berge that the Lynah advantage (at least last year) came from people like Mike Rosenberg, not from guys like you who think this edge comes from the always clever, but non abrassive "you suck" cheer. Instead of chastising Mike Rosenberg for his creativity, why not come down and meet him -- he's a great guy. You think you own this forum, but you don't. You think you own Lynah Rink, but you don't. You think what you say is what should be, well you are wrong my friend. You are nothing more and will never be anything more than a FACETIMER.

Facetimer wrote:
"Beeeej," you are a facetimer.

Facetimer wrote:
What was that about calling people names?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:25PM

Be careful, Josh, by posting in this thread (since that seems to be the only common factor for all the people Facetimer has yet called a facetimer, except for Greg), you may be declared a facetimer! rolleyes

Oh no! Now I've posted in this thread! That must mean I'm a facetimer, too! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :-P

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (128.253.249.---)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:51PM

Hey.. I'm the only one left unscathed in this thread!!! B-]

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:57PM

rsafploc 03 wrote:

Hey.. I'm the only one left unscathed in this thread!!! B-]

Don't want you to feel left out, facetimer ;-)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 02:08PM

Facetimer wrote:
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. laugh

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: December 02, 2003 02:19PM

I've been found out.

Damn.

I had you all going, though.

Post Edited (12-02-03 14:20)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.accel.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 03:37PM

ROFLMAO, Greg...

Hey, at least I haven't posted on this thread yet, and am therefore not a facetimer... d'oh!

Oh, and for the heck of it... banana

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:10PM

so are we redefining the term "facetime?!?" ... b/c i've always wanted to be one.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:32PM

Ben '03 wrote:

so are we redefining the term "facetime?!?" ... b/c i've always wanted to be one.
Maybe the facetimers have decided to repurpose the word wear it like a badge of honor - like "queer".

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:37PM

Could you call me both, that way I can fit right in when I get to the rink this weekend;-) (kiddingkiddingkidding)

Posted by: Lenny is a god (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 04:54PM

Oh, it's been a long time since I've posted anything on the forum...but this seems like just time.

Anyone who insults Mike is insulting the Faithful as a whole. For anyone who knows Mike, or hears his cheers echoing loudly through Lynah, should know that he embodies all that the Faithful stand for. Are we not known as the most intimidating "cult" of hockey fans around the country? Do teams not hate traveling to the frozen tundra of Ithaca to hear their names mocked, their mothers insulted and their worthiness as a human being called into question? Do those same teams not also envy Cornell's hockey team for having such a strong fan base? If we were the drones Schafer wants us to be saying nice, happy feeling words and chanting "RA RA RA, GO TEAM GO", would Lynah be the same? I think my point is clear.

Personally, all these times I've walked out of Lynah this year (and let's just say, they've been too many) with a tie or (gasp) loss, Mike's chants are the things that make you laugh in the face of defeat.

Anyone who has the balls to say anything against Mike's clever chants, his over-the-top enthusiasm and his deep respect for the game itself should really question why they even go to our hockey games. Section O is for you, my friends.

So, quit your bitching, encourage the fans, insult the other team and support the Red. They need us, more than ever, this year and all this crying about who says what isn't helping them. We should all be unified this weekend...for I think I speak for all the Faithful when I say...I want to see the Crimson suffer.

Mike, keep the cheers coming!

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:00PM

Compleed, agreetly.

Date: December 02, 2003 05:01PM

who the fark is this mike, anyway?

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:17PM

are you for real?

i guess everyone is a facetimer, except for facetimer and mike. of course, that includes everyone who has been following cornell hockey for longer than facetimer and mike knew how to wipe their own ass.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 05:50PM

For what it's worth, I don't really have anything against Mike Rosenberg. "Facetimer", though, was acting a bit too pompous and I thought "Facetimer" needed to be mocked. And it looks like I wasn't alone.

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 08:09PM

i would like nothing else more than not EVER having the opportunity to have to do the ivy cheer, because someone else is rightfully doing the "winning team." this of course implies that we are, in fact, winning.

and i, along with all of the rowdy fans out there, will do everything in our power this weekend to get under the skin of every brown and harvard player out there, and their coaches, equipment managers, and all 6 fans as well.

i think the whole thing has gotten really out of proportion. i said something, thought it was funny, others thought so too, and some of you didn't. that's fine by me, everyone is entitled to their opinions, and i certainly do say some things which don't work sometimes. but what bothered me more, and why i posted in the "keys" thread, was this general attitude that seems to emanate from some fans on this forum. i get the impression that, as soon as you deviate from the accepted cheers at john hayes' excellent & comprehensive "so you wanna be a lynah faithful" website, you are automatically a "moron" or a facetimer or some stupid undergrad who doesn't know what to say or do. i get the impression that several individuals here have the attitude that they are much better than the other fans. it boggles my mind that people with that attitude would object to a particular "ivy team" cheer which, in one respect, jokingly puts THE SAME point across. not to mention that i would rather spend my breath berating members of the opposing team than our own fans.

there is only so many times i can spell out someone's name, say their school "sucks" or tell them how many family members attempted to reach them by telephone. i love all those cheers, and they are classics. but above that, i think some of the creativity that lynah is known for exists because the fans can think of insulting and damning cheers on the spur of the moment (U-H-N, "their coach beats them", etc). harvard's dov grumet-morris has been called a sieve by 30 teams in 3 years in countless rinks. but how many times has he been called a "waste of human flesh" and told that he "would make more money harvesting his organs than as an nhl goaltender" ? creativity, in all aspects, is nothing but a plus in our rink. i just wish some of the posters here would lose the self-righteous attitude that "if we didn't say it when we were on the 'hill, it's stupid and should be canned."

i am a 21 year old undergrad, born in 1982. nobody needs to remind me; i am perfectly aware of my age. i'm applying to law school now for god sakes, and most of you are already entrenched in your careers and what not. as such, i cannot testify to the statement that "things are not what they used to be." but it's because people are willing to come up with new and novel things which brings cornell up to that level.

i appreciate the kind comments from many of you on this forum, and it makes me very happy to know that my insane ramblings do, in some instances, not go unnoticed. i hope to see everyone at the games this weekend, where i will unleash cheers which some will like and some will not. above all else, i hope that they are able to affect some opposing player in enough of a way so that we are able to gain a small advantage,

-mike rosenberg, '04

Post Edited (12-02-03 20:19)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 08:55PM

For what it's worth, Mike, I respect your attempts to breathe new life into the Faithful. Without going back and reading every post on all three threads to double-check, I'm still pretty sure the objection wasn't that you were saying something new and non-pre-approved, it was that it was inappropriate or lame. And on that, opinions may fairly differ.

The problem now, unfortunately, is that your defenders are idiots - and that's what the conversation is about now. Probably too late to do much talking about the merits.

Hope I get the chance to meet you at the Hahvahd game.

Beeeej

Posted by: RedAR (---.harvard.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:04PM

Actually, Mike, I'm sorry for lumping you in with Facetimer. He's the one that's been accusing everyone and their mothers of being facetimers.

No, I wasn't following Cornell Hockey before facetimer could wipe his ass (I'm Class of '97).
Yes, many on this forum have, contributing both emotionally and financially to the program throughout the years.
No, I didn't particularly like the "Ivy-team" cheer.
Yes, that is just my opinion.
No, I won't be at Lynah this weekend, so I hope you scream a tiny bit louder this weekend while I chat away in #lynah.
Yes, I will be at Lynah East in January.

LET'S GO RED!!!
(is that too traditional for ya?)

Post Edited (12-02-03 21:05)

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:11PM

Wow, Facetimer has managed to take the attention completely away from HotelCalifornia (who has improved considerably since her first few posts, by the way) :-)

And by the way, your catch phrase of "You're a facetimer" is lame.

I suppose this makes me a ....(everybody now!)......

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:47PM

I read the opening post on this thread and refuse to read any others (I'm typing this with my eyes closed ;-) ). I just want to share some thoughts with all of you:

upto
asshole
::flipb::
fight
crazy
stupid
yark
pain
pissed
idea
twak
moon
**)

Peace, I'm out.

Date: December 02, 2003 09:55PM

Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94 wrote:

The problem now, unfortunately, is that your defenders are idiots - and that's what the conversation is about now. Probably too late to do much talking about the merits.

You know opinions are like assholes, Beeeej...

And besides, let's talk about idiots. Idiots are those that have nothing better to do with their lives than to give an opinion about a humorous cheer. Idiots are those that waste every minute of their lives posting their opinions on a forum. Are your lives that unfulfilling that you resort to calling someone an idiot that you never met, never seen and only know as "facetimer?" Is this your only source of joy? It's time to move on guys. Let the current students run their show the way they want to. And show some respect for those students at the same time.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2003 09:56PM

Wow here we go again. It seems like a few times a year we have to go tearing up each other. I hope it's just because we are frustated that we are not winning (so we whine?).

Anyway let's all realize that we all say stupid and insulting things sometime, and sometime we mean it but often we don't and just feel the need to say something. Unfortunately, as I have said before, writing it on the web is often vastly overplayed compared to what we would feel in person.

I remember when Greg was badmouthing Syracuse, and the SIT (by the way that is where I live, and please nothing more about the SIT, may it RIP). I certainly took offense at it, but then realized that he didn't know what he was talking about ;-) and never lived here. He also did not hear the cheer in context and many things are alot different when heard in person, am I repeating myself here? uhoh

I personally liked the cheer, but so what, I also liked the now forgotten "That's all right, that's OK, you're going to work for us some day" cheer. Yeah, it's a put down, but so is safety school, and many others. As long as it's all in fun and we can still go out for a beer with the enemy afterwards it seems OK.

Unfortunately, it seems that someone says something, then someone else escalates it, and off we go. Well enough preaching by me:-) and let's hope we can all come together this weekend and still go out for a drink afterwards.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz `84 (---.75.68.4.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:00PM

I used to work at the Straight Desk. I guess that makes me a facetimer too.

Wow, does "facetimer" only have a negative connotation in CU hockey lingo? Calling someone a facetimer in the early 80's might draw an embarrassed smile, but nothing like the Peter who will deny Christ 3 times before the cock crows-type denials that facetimer clearly is trying to evoke.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:03PM

No, Facetimer, idiots are people who can't feel good about themselves unless they're putting everybody else down.

As for respect, you apparently wouldn't know it if it walked up to you on the street and kicked you in the shins. You think anybody should care what you have to say, when all you've done in your short time here is insult anybody with an opinion different from yours? Then you're sadly deluded, and wasting far more of your time than any of us have wasted of ours.

Speaking of which, that's enough for me on this topic - enjoy screaming at the wall!

Beeeej

Date: December 02, 2003 10:20PM

starwars

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 10:32PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:

I remember when Greg was badmouthing Syracuse, and the SIT (by the way that is where I live, and please nothing more about the SIT, may it RIP). I certainly took offense at it, but then realized that he didn't know what he was talking about and never lived here.

Hey, c'mon, Jim. You know me. You gotta start from that supposition... ;-)

Posted by: Tom Hamill '85 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 11:45PM

I've been on the Forum since its wee days when Kyle Rose was the babysitter. This place, even if I don't post much, is a sort of home away from home. The Lynah Faithful....my 3800+ friends. And I want to keep it that way.

I really don't care who posts here, as long as it's informative, entertaining, and relevant. I don't always agree with Greg, but most of the time I find he's got something interesting to say. Why don't we debate each other on the content of the messages, and let's all avoid getting personal. Surely there must be better things we can all be doing than flaming at each other.

Date: December 03, 2003 09:48AM

Tom, put it this way. If I met Mike Rosenberg in person and recognized him as the guy from A who comes up with a ton of cheers, I'd offer to buy him a beer in the spirit of mutual Lynah Faithfulness. The important thing, in the end, is the hockey. Um, and the beer.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: December 03, 2003 12:04PM

Does that mean you're going to Dunbar's or he's going to the Chariot after the game? Or will you split the difference and go to the Chapter House?

Date: December 03, 2003 12:33PM

Well, for this weekend, splitting the difference would mean meeting somewhere around Philly. But when I actually do manage to get back to Ithaca, I'd vote for the Chapter House every time.

Posted by: tml5 (---.soc.cornell.edu)
Date: December 03, 2003 02:59PM

Um, maybe not. There's live music at the Chappy quite often nowadays. Yesterday they had a $10 (!) cover, which prevented me from getting beer there. :`(

Post Edited (12-03-03 14:59)

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 03, 2003 05:18PM

Here's another geezer weighing in with his a**hole, er, opinion:

I think that:

1. Given that people spend pretty much the first 18 years of their life trying to get into college (whether they're aware of it or not), going to an Ivy League school is pretty much the crowning achievement of most students' lives to that point.
2. Out in the "real" world, the athletic conference affiliation of your alma mater means jack. In fact, in my industry, there's almost a negative connotation to Ivy Leaguers – highbrow eggheads who don’t live in the real world. (note: the Ivy pedigree is still a plus for actually getting a job, but it doesn't mean diddly when it comes to peer respect – you have to earn that the old fashioned way).
3. I think the disparity between points 1 and 2 is why most of the alums seem to be unimpressed with Mike's version of the Which Team cheer, while many undergrads think it rocks.
4. Along with many others, I applaud Mike's enthusiasm and willingness to hang it all out there and scream his head off for the team even after a less-than-satisfactory result. Lynah needs all the people like that we can get. Way to go, Mike!
5. I still don't like the cheer.

Let's Go Red!!!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2003 07:52PM

Tom Lento wrote:

Um, maybe not. There's live music at the Chappy quite often nowadays. Yesterday they had a $10 (!) cover, which prevented me from getting beer there. :`(

Post Edited (12-03-03 14:59)

Prevented or discouraged? ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login