Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Mercyhurst

Posted by Section A 
Cornell vs Mercyhurst
Posted by: Section A (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:09PM

i2sports doesn't seem to work on my computer here at home (connection too slow, I think)....is there an audio link for the game? perhaps a mercyhurst broadcast?

Post Edited (11-29-03 20:00)

Re: audio for mercyhurst game?
Posted by: colo83 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:17PM

No one seems to be home on the Mercyhurst station

Date: November 29, 2003 07:18PM

Oh well :-/ ...........in that case, can someone listening to the game start an updates thread?

Posted by: ugarte (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:22PM

Good pressure from the Red, but no goal. 17:37 to go.

Date: November 29, 2003 07:27PM

Still scoreless. Mercyhurst finally got it in the zone, but McKee with a pair of saves to pick up a sloppy D.

Date: November 29, 2003 07:43PM

3:34 left in 1st. No goals, no penalties. Cornell in control most of the time.

Post Edited (11-29-03 19:44)

Re: audio for mercyhurst game
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:46PM

Clarkson 1-0 over Harvard after one.

RPI and UNH 1-1 in first.

Posted by: Pete (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:48PM

End of 1, 0-0

Date: November 29, 2003 07:49PM

end of 1. no news.

Date: November 29, 2003 07:50PM

thanks for the updates so far; appreciate it...

Posted by: Sarli (---.merck.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:57PM

According to the Live Stats:

Cornell 13 shots (Cook has 4 no one else more than 1)
M-hurst 5 shots

The live stats thing seems to be updating in a reasonable time frame thus far tonight, which is nice to see.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2003 07:58PM

Try i2 again, it was messed up earlier but now it's fine.

First period was controlled by Cornell but almost no good chances. One exception: Hynes put a no-look backhander right on Pegoraro's stick, alone, between the circles, 5 feet in front of Franke, and Dan just flat missed the net.

Very little activity by either team. The Lakers look content to lay back and wait for a mistake. The Red aren't really taking it to em yet.

So: bad puck control, slow, no hitting. Maybe they picked up the women's game by mistake.

Post Edited (11-29-03 19:59)

Posted by: chloe07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 08:07PM

SCOOOOOOOOOOOREEEE

Re: Cornell vs Mercyhurst
Date: November 29, 2003 08:10PM

According to livestats, Cornell 1 Mercyhurst 0. Gleed from Vesce and Moulson.

I see Gleed and Downs were the two defensemen on the ice. Has Schafer mixed up the defensive pairings?

Date: November 29, 2003 08:10PM

Mercyhurst PP over. Cornell going on PP.

Date: November 29, 2003 08:13PM

Lakers return to full strength. They still suck.

Date: November 29, 2003 08:16PM

The Mercyhurst PP started right after the Gleed goal. The Cornell PP started as soon as they returned to full strength. As soon as the PP ended, Mercyhurst committed another penalty.

As I was typing this, Mercyhurst dove a drew a hooking penalty, so there will be about a minute of 4x4.

Date: November 29, 2003 08:18PM

Back to 5x5. 9:29 to go in 2d.

Post Edited (11-29-03 20:20)

Date: November 29, 2003 08:23PM

Cornell on PP again.

Gleed is having an amazing night. Just hit the crossbar.

Date: November 29, 2003 08:25PM

Ryan Vesce is doing great on the faceoffs--Jon Gleed is doing GrEaT tonight

Date: November 29, 2003 08:35PM

Cornell 1 Mercyhurst 1

Post Edited (11-30-03 00:27)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 08:36PM

RPI 3-2 over UNH after two.

Date: November 29, 2003 08:38PM

End of 2. Mercyhurst will start the 3d on the pp.

Mercyhurst goal was on the pp. Not a great pk, and it wasn't a particularly great goal. McKee has looked pretty good overall, though.

Post Edited (11-29-03 20:39)

Date: November 29, 2003 08:42PM

Big crowd over at warped.net. Where are you Avash? More specifically, why aren't you at the game?

Date: November 29, 2003 08:46PM

Very strong period for Cornell with a lot of chances, just couldn't bury them and then Mercyhurst scores on a tic-tac-toe. Shots are 27-11 Cornell according to the Lynah scoreboard.

Post Edited (11-29-03 20:46)

Date: November 29, 2003 09:05PM

does anyone know who just scored for cornell? charlie cook?

Date: November 29, 2003 09:05PM

2-2. Bitz from Cook. But really all Bitz. Very strong circle behind the net and then a backhander.

Posted by: Lisa (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:11PM

Bitz for his 5th of the year - assist by cook.:-)

Cornell - 3 vs Mercyhurst-2
Posted by: Lisa (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:15PM

Cornell 3 Mercyhurst 2

Posted by: captain al (---.mis.prserv.net)

so whats the score right now and how much time is left?

Posted by: French Rage #2 (---.s102.apx3.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)

CU goal, 12:17, Cam Abbott from Wallace and Hornby

Date: November 29, 2003 09:22PM

one minute remaining. 3-2 Cornell.

Posted by: fcvzxcvzxc (---.s102.apx3.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:24PM

:48 left, empty net

Date: November 29, 2003 09:26PM

Mercyhurst scores 6x5 with 5 seconds left.

Posted by: French Rage #2 (---.s102.apx3.lnhdc.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:27PM

ties with 6 seconds left...

Posted by: captain al (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:28PM

so I hear they switched up the defense pairings: cook w/ glover, downs with gleed was it?. ...... how did this seem to work out?

Date: November 29, 2003 09:42PM

Game over. 3-3.

Date: November 29, 2003 09:43PM

Gleed was an offensive force. Looked great. We should have won this game.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2003 09:55PM

captain al wrote:
so I hear they switched up the defense pairings: cook w/ glover, downs with gleed was it?. ...... how did this seem to work out?
If that's what they did, it certainly seemed to work for Gleed. He was all over the place tonight.

Posted by: HOTELCALIFORNIA (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 10:16PM

HOTELCALIFORNIA's thoughts on game:::

*Shooting was better... the first period was awesome!! McKee was looking great (except for that one flub, which was no goal, thank god!!), and we were really takeing lots of shots.. which is verrrryyy good to see after our little shooting drought (well, it was pretty bad...). We played really hard the first period and I was almost certain that this was gonna be our game... but things changed...

*The reffs were absolutly terrible!!!!!! People in my section were so fired up. Many things were not called (like a penalty that should have been called on Cornell late in the third, in the Mercyhurst zone). And that goal in overtime... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THAT WAS NOT A GOAL?!?!?!?!?!?!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( It looked like one of our players was partially in the net, but when I looked closely, we weren't at all. This call really pissed me off...

*I'll give McKee a tiny bit of credit.. but then again, he really did not do well in this game. First of all, how in the world could ANYONE let in a puck with FIVE SECONDS LEFT??!!! What could have possibly so tough that you spaz and ruin the whole game?!! I mean.... FIVE SECONDS!!! I still can't get over that. And second of all... McKee let in 3 goals.. that was, what, every four goals?? Maybe it wasn't that bad.. but I'm still trying to figure out these statistics. And... MARR WAS DRESSED!!!!!!! And then why Schaefer didn't play Marr in overtime is still beyond me... not like it'd matter any.... but still.

*Mercyhurst's goalie was terrible. Many times he just got plain lucky. He was very slooooooow and seemed to favor the "roll over and slide" technique.

*Mercyhurst's solid green jerseys were so obnoxious that compared with all the screaming I did, I needed to down a couple of Advil as soon as I got home.

*And I'll ask one more time... what has happend to Cornell????? We went from a star team last year (that messed up their last game) to... straight ties and losses?? I'm wondering if maybe there's a leadership problem out there?? Thoughts on this??

ALLLLLLLLLLrighty,,, I'm done:-)

Posted by: canucksfan (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 10:31PM

[Q]...how in the world could ANYONE let in a puck with FIVE SECONDS LEFT??!!! What could have possibly so tough that you spaz and ruin the whole game?!! [/Q]

HOTELCALIFORNIA, are you a moron? (Don't answer that, anyone who uses this forum already knows the answer.)

McKee made two fine saves before the third effort was poked in. You can't expect a goalie to pull off a triple save sequence too often. I also should remind you that it was 6 on 5.

Date: November 29, 2003 10:34PM

And however badly you think the Mercyhurst goalie played, its an insult to our players, not him, to imply that we only went 3 for 50 on a bad goalie. Anyone who gets as "lucky" as him 47 times out of 50 should be in Vegas, not Mercyhurst.

Date: November 29, 2003 10:47PM

And finally (in my point-by-point breakdown of your idiotic rant), you seem to have missed the fundamental difference between this year's and last year's team. No, there is no leadership problem. The Big Red lost a phenomenal senior class last year. Bâby, Murray, Paolini, McRae, McRae, Bell, Palahicky...they were all linchpins of the team, not to mention a Hobey Baker-caliber goalie named David LeNeveu who signed with Phoenix. This is a young team with a lot of new defensemen, so there were bound to be issues early in the season. Don't trash Vesce, Wallace or Schafer's leadership abilities because you don't like what you see. I, too, want them to win, but if all you care about is results, go find a new team and stop provoking the sane members of the Faithful with your stupid chatter.

And your sophomoric use of punctuation.

Posted by: Pete (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 11:06PM

[Q]And I'll ask one more time... what has happend to Cornell????? We went from a star team last year (that messed up their last game) to... straight ties and losses??[/Q]

I think a couple of close losses and some ties are what everybody expected coming into this season. We have a lot of young players, they're going to make some mistakes. If you thought that Cornell was going to pick up again right where it left off last season, you had to of been kidding yourself. Anytime a program graduates as many great seniors as Cornell did, there's going to be some growing pains. It doesn't mean we're "doomed" or that Cornell is never going to be a hockey powerhouse.
It simply means that we won't be the Champions of November Hockey this year. And you know what? Who cares?
This is a team that is working its ass off, getting better and learning. Yeah, it's great to win every game, but November games don't mean crap. (Just ask Minnesota)

Date: November 29, 2003 11:32PM

Franck did not have good stats entering the game, but he made several great saves tonight, including one that Adam called "the save of the last two years" (i.e., including Lenny), and watching on i2 I agree it was amazing.

But here's the thing -- this is the kind of game Cornell absolutely has to win if they ever do it in league play. Hard to believe they outplayed Yale any more than they outplayed Mercyhurst tonight, and they rolled up a 6-2 win in that game. They could easily have won 5-2 or so tonight, but as with the last previous four games the finishes just were not there. They need to fix that, and they have 6 days and counting.

BTW, what's with Schafer's hand? It was in a very large bandage.

Post Edited (11-29-03 23:34)

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 11:39PM

Rumor has it that Mike took out his frustrations after the OSU game on the training room door.

Ken '71

Date: November 29, 2003 11:40PM

(Inferred from Hotel's post above)....There was a goal waived off in Overtime? I wasn't listening/watching....what happened?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 29, 2003 11:57PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:

They could easily have won 5-2 or so tonight, but as with the last previous four games the finishes just were not there. They need to fix that, and they have 6 days and counting.

They're losing their legs more quickly than they should. I don't know why that is, but I would theorize that the first two lines are possibly doing more work proportionately. (I haven't been keeping track of how long each line is on the ice relative to each other.)

Posted by: Mike '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2003 12:07AM

The 'waved off goal' was just a pile up in the crease. The puck never went in the net, so there was nothing to be waved off. I think the main reason play was stopped was because a scuffle started in the crease while Franck was spreadeagled on the ice and not moving (in the I'm hurt sense, even though he was fine, albeit looking a bit shaken/stunned) I don't recall seeing the puck, so I assume it was under him, but it definitely was not in the net. I can't recall anything else that vaguely comes close to a waved off goal though, so I'll assume that was it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 30, 2003 12:25AM

Point by point:

HOTELCALIFORNIA wrote:
*The reffs were absolutly terrible!!!!!! People in my section were so fired up. Many things were not called (like a penalty that should have been called on Cornell late in the third, in the Mercyhurst zone). And that goal in overtime... CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THAT WAS NOT A GOAL?!?!?!?!?!?!! It looked like one of our players was partially in the net, but when I looked closely, we weren't at all. This call really pissed me off...
If you were sure it was a goal, both the ref and goal judge seemed to disagree. I'll admit that I couldn't see on i2sports, but Vesce was the only one on the ice that seemed sure, and he's not exactly unbiased.

*I'll give McKee a tiny bit of credit.. but then again, he really did not do well in this game. First of all, how in the world could ANYONE let in a puck with FIVE SECONDS LEFT??!!! What could have possibly so tough that you spaz and ruin the whole game?!! I mean.... FIVE SECONDS!!!
Explain to me this, why is it any easier to make a save with 5 seconds left? You seem to imply that the amount of time on the clock somehow relates to the ease of the save. Seriously, there was a flurry in front of the net. I woulda loved him to save it, but how does it make it a bigger mess up to miss that just because there's only a few seconds left? If anything, Mercyhurst was working harder with an extra attacker, so it's even more difficult. If anything, I'd say our D tends to collapse with under 30 seconds left... not horribly, but somewhat... I don't see how any of it lies on McKee though. You're big on capitals and small on substance.

And then why Schaefer didn't play Marr in overtime is still beyond me... not like it'd matter any.... but still.
I have NEVER, NEVER seen a coach pull a goalie in a tie game. Why would anyone possibly do that? The only time you pull a goalie is if you're down by 3 or 4 or more.

*Mercyhurst's goalie was terrible. Many times he just got plain lucky. He was very slooooooow and seemed to favor the "roll over and slide" technique.
You're right that he didn't have good form, but it certainly seems to work for him. 44 out of 47 is pretty damn lucky. I do agree that our team seems to do something that makes goalies look better than they are, but he's no slouch. I have a hunch our problem is not getting 2nd shots or not putting men in front (two parts of the same problem), but that's another discussion. 44 out of 47 isn't 'terrible', although his style is certainly unorthodox.

*Mercyhurst's solid green jerseys were so obnoxious that compared with all the screaming I did, I needed to down a couple of Advil as soon as I got home.
Let's Go Whalers! :-P

*And I'll ask one more time... what has happend to Cornell????? We went from a star team last year (that messed up their last game) to... straight ties and losses?? I'm wondering if maybe there's a leadership problem out there?? Thoughts on this??
We lost an awesome offensive defenseman, a powerful d-man, a skill set of twins, a hard working wing with a knack for coming through, a Hobey-baker finalist record-setting goalie, a skilled stay at home dman, and a talented forward. One of the best classes at Cornell in a long time and one of the best if not the best in the country last year. What's you frickin' expect?

Post Edited (11-30-03 00:26)

Date: November 30, 2003 12:53AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

And then why Schaefer didn't play Marr in overtime is still beyond me... not like it'd matter any.... but still.
I have NEVER, NEVER seen a coach pull a goalie in a tie game. Why would anyone possibly do that? The only time you pull a goalie is if you're down by 3 or 4 or more.

Or when the goalie is working on a shutout with a rather large lead, but the shutout gets blown with the lion's share of the game behind him. Then you put in another goalie to at least give him a little real game time. (We need to get Chabot to continue his 1.000 SV%. ;-) )

But in a tie game? No, no, no--he obviously isn't doing anything terribly wrong if he's pulling off a tie (well, maybe if it's tied 10-10, but that would just be bizarre). Unless the starting goalie gets injured, there's no reason to put in a cold goalie in a tie game.

Date: November 30, 2003 12:54AM

Schafer says it well... again...

"The frustration continues to build," said Schafer. "We're disappointed with the fact that every single mistake that seems to happen, the puck ends up in the back of our net. From that standpoint, it's tough to have the puck a lot and miss the net a lot, and not capitalize, and then as soon as you make a mistake, it's in the back of your net. There's no question that this is a frustrated hockey team right now."

Date: November 30, 2003 12:58AM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

Schafer says it well... again...

"The frustration continues to build," said Schafer. "We're disappointed with the fact that every single mistake that seems to happen, the puck ends up in the back of our net. From that standpoint, it's tough to have the puck a lot and miss the net a lot, and not capitalize, and then as soon as you make a mistake, it's in the back of your net. There's no question that this is a frustrated hockey team right now."

Not to mention a frustrated fanbase. However, I can't speak for everyone, but they're going to have to do (or not do) a lot more than that to drive me away. LET'S GO RED!!!

Date: November 30, 2003 01:03AM

Actually, if you think about it, we've never really lost by like 8 to 1. If we lose, most of the time were one or maybe two goals down. It's good that our bad games are at least close games.

Date: November 30, 2003 01:12AM

HOTELCALIFORNIA wrote:

Actually, if you think about it, we've never really lost by like 8 to 1. If we lose, most of the time were one or maybe two goals down. It's good that our bad games are at least close games.

Indeed. This team has great potential, to be sure. The question is, how can they find out how to exploit that potential, not commit critical (if infrequent) mistakes (since they seem to frequently lead to goals for the opposition), and ultimately work together to win games? (For what it's worth, I think the team worked well excellently in this game. For the most part, both the offense and the defense were really gelling into respective cohesive units.)

Date: November 30, 2003 01:13AM

Wow, hotel's actually coming around :-).

Yeah, this is a team that's been improving and we've NEVER lost by more than one goal... give us one extra goal per game, or one missed shot or lucky save, and this is an undefeated team. And this team is young, there's no where to go but up.

Edit: In fact, for a team that lost 7 major players (did I count right?), after 9 games, we only have two losses. Sure, we'd all rather see 7-2 instead of 3-2-4... if someone told us last year that this team would go through WMU x2, BG, OSU, SLU, and Clarkson with only 2 losses, I don't think there's anyone on this board that wouldn't have taken it.

Post Edited (11-30-03 01:19)

Date: November 30, 2003 01:24AM

"Every" mistake did not end up in the net tonight. Mercyhurst intercepted a blind clearing pass and had a 2-on-zero that would have won the game, but they failed to convert.

Post Edited (11-30-03 01:25)

Date: November 30, 2003 01:28AM

Haha Delta.. yeah at this point, I have to think in a very positive way because I don't like feeling negative anymore..:-D :-D :-D

Date: November 30, 2003 01:31AM

Hotel, well there's a lot to be positive about if you start with the realization that this is a young, team with significant loses who has very little chance of competing for an at large bid this year.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2003 11:19AM

i think that the puck actually ended up in the net for the one that was called a no goal - it went in thru the side of the net when the net was lifted when crashed into. it was a no goal

like i said to my fiancee last night, losing/tieing close games can stem from many things. lack of shooting the puck, poor defense, not being able to finish. i think that this cornell team is slowly solving each of those problems as well as many more and will be a force as they march towards albany. i will trade one-goal losses early in the season to OOC teams for one-goal wins in conference in march, specifically march 19 and 20th :)

disappointed by the end result but not by the effort last night. i thought that mckee looked good and i love the new helmet. you have to give the lakers credit for hanging around enough to capitalize on 3 of the few good scoring chances they got.

also, that awesome save be franck the tank seemed to be more flourish than what was needed but it did look cool and i am not sure where the puck hit. if it hit his leg pads as they were in the air -> nice save :) i did not like how he was hitting one of our players while our player was down on the ice clutching himself in pain - franck was hitting him with his blocker/stick. that pissed me off and i let him have it vocally :)

next week is going to be a real test in the ecac with a strong brown team coming to town as well as a hahvahd team that may be starting to play better.

oh and keep those damn keys in your pockets!

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2003 06:06PM

[Q]Deltaone81 wrote:

Hotel, well there's a lot to be positive about if you start with the realization that this is a young, team with significant loses who has very little chance of competing for an at large bid this year.[/Q]Yeah, and how would you like to be in Harvard's shoes right now. For all our problems, we are still undefeated in the league. This weekend is going to be tough, but we could finally get 1, or hopefull 2, home wins and be on top of the ECAC, or, heaven forbid, be winless at home.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 30, 2003 07:55PM

I understand that you already retreated a little bit on your position regarding this game, HC, but I still feel compelled to reply appropriately to your original post.

"I'm not intending to imply insult or judgment here, but I am curious to know in order to be able to respond to your posts in an appropriate manner, so please forgive what appears to be, but in fact is not intended as, an insulting question: Are you stupid?"
- Melinda Shore

Beeeej

Date: November 30, 2003 10:26PM

People who haven't gone through a Rebuilding Year (shiver) are never prepared for how horrible it can be. Believe me, compared to 87 and 93, this aint nothin'.

Enjoy the good things and write the bad things off to youth. Schafer has now put two consecutive excellent recruiting classes on the board and given the program's success this will continue. The team will learn to play within the system and get better. The defense will shore up, and the goaltending will get better. By the end of the year they'll be a better team.

Enjoy watching that happen.

Date: November 30, 2003 10:38PM

That's right Greg... every once in a while I think about those years. Not good. We're doing alright!!!;-)

Posted by: Grad '77 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2003 12:03AM

Ouch.

Posted by: ericho_4511 (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: December 01, 2003 10:14AM

jy3 wrote:

oh and keep those damn keys in your pockets!

I couldn't agree more....a one goal game with 35 seconds to go and a face-off in our own end. Sheesh.

Eric '88

Re:1998 all over again?
Posted by: Richard Stott '70 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 01:29PM

This is beginning to look like the 1998 season. In 1997 we were 21-9-5, won the ECACs and lost in the second round of the NCAAs to North Dakota. We were ranked No. 8 at the start of the 1998 season, but quickly worked our way out of the rankings and finished 15-16-2.

I sort of thought this team had too much talent for that to happen and still do, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 01:46PM

Nah, it won't... or at least it really really shouldn't... when we get to the conference part of our schedule, except for Brown/Harvard - which mean, starting Jan 16, this team will do well . The team's clearly getting better, and we have all our OOC / tougher games right off the bat. I'd still think we'll at least be in a battle to get a first round bye in the ECACs.

-Fred

Continued :-) : I mean, really, who in this conference can we see being better? Hahvahd and Brown, sure . ummm... Clarkon's good, but not definitely better. RPI was great against SCSU, but, well, they're RPI, so you never know. Dartmouth's been decent. Union started off well. But I think we're probably better than those by a bit, at the very least, we should be battling with them. And of course, Yale, Princeton, and Vermont will round out the bottom. I realized I skipped Colgate, I have no idea about them yet really :-).

Post Edited (12-01-03 13:51)

Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.fluor.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 03:41PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

In fact, for a team that lost 7 major players (did I count right?), after 9 games, we only have two losses. Sure, we'd all rather see 7-2 instead of 3-2-4... if someone told us last year that this team would go through WMU x2, BG, OSU, SLU, and Clarkson with only 2 losses, I don't think there's anyone on this board that wouldn't have taken it.

Of Cornell's first 9 games only one has been against a ranked team (OSU) and only two others have been against teams having a good season so far (Clarkson and Mercyhurst). A 3-2-4 record is effectively 5-4 as far as winning % goes. No one expected the Red to be nearly as good as last year, but we have a much easier schedule with no road non-conference games as well.

Considering Adam's optimism before the season started, our highly touted incoming freshman class, and the preseason polls (I should know better not to pay attention to them), one could easily have thought Cornell had a decent shot at an at-large NCAA bid this year. Michigan sent a very young team to the Frozen Four last year, so I don't think it's unrealistic or delusional to hope for Cornell to at least return to the NCAA tournament, in spite of the tremendous off season losses we've had. It's very early, but the disappointing NC results have now nearly killed those hopes outside of winning the ECAC championship, which I still think we will have a good shot at as the team matures.

I think it's OK for the team and the fans to be frustrated with the disappointing start, and not be satisfied with ties at home against inferior competition. I'm glad Schafer is frustrated and clearly expects better results. It's necessary if Cornell is going to improve. Here's hoping for an upcoming 4 point weekend. Raise the roof Lynah faithful! LGR!!!

Date: December 01, 2003 03:48PM

I think an at-large bid is kind of a longshot at this point. I think we have a better chance at getting into the NCAA tournament much like Harvard did in 2001-2002--by upsetting the likely ECAC tournament champion and gaining an autobid. Hopefully, it will be Harvard we can beat in that game--sweet revenge. :-D

Posted by: Steve Marciniec '85 (---.fluor.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 05:52PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:

People who haven't gone through a Rebuilding Year (shiver) are never prepared for how horrible it can be. Believe me, compared to 87 and 93, this aint nothin'.

I agree that this is a rebuilding year, but Schafer has brought the program too far along to settle for a repeat of the results of the 80's and 90's.

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 11:11PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

RPI was great against SCSU, but, well, they're RPI, so you never know. Dartmouth's been decent. ...I realized I skipped Colgate, I have no idea about them yet really :-).

Well this is not your father’s RPI. I don't think it's Dan Fridgen's team either. My theory is that Andrew Will the new Assistant is the reason that they look so good. I don't EVER remember an RPI team that has played the way they have during their last three home games. I have hated RPI's style for ten years. In fact I have hated the style so much that it hurts me to say I like their style this year.

And Dartmouth has been at least decent. But I also think Colgate will play us tough this year based on what they have done so far. Both of these teams have upset our team recently.

Seeing the game this Saturday on I2 made me very happy. The Red dominated much of the game and I think they will do better as the season goes on. But the league isn't top heavy this year.

I can't predict who will win the tournament in Albany. I guess we'll all have to go to the rink and watch the games. But that's just what I like to do each winter. Yeah, drop the puck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login