Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Go Big Red

Posted by Steve LeNeveu 
Go Big Red
Posted by: Steve LeNeveu (---.monarch.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 04:49PM

I rarely post on an internet forum but I wanted to come on here and say "Thanks"! My name is Steve and I am David LeNeveu's Dad.

The internet can be an awesome tool! Ever since David left home to play for Nanaimo in the BCJHL, his Mom and I have avidly followed his progress through forums such as this. Of course we are now skulking about the AHL forums and doing the same there. My Internet Favourites Hockey Forum list gets longer each year. lol As you can see I still enjoy lurking here and on other college forums as well. (Heck I still follow the BCJHL hockey forums).

Forums, web cams, on-line news articles, web sites and internet radio broadcasts are used by parents to keep us up-to-date with our kids while they play away from home. These resources allow us to feel a part of David's hockey experiences where ever he plays.

We were only able to go to Lynah a couple of times while David was there and they were truly a great experiences. The students; the band; the chants; the "reading" of the newspapers during opponent introductions; incredible! Well worth the trip.

Meeting Mike Schafer for the first time, Jamie Russell (congratulations once again Jamie) and of course Brent Brekke who made the trip to Toronto to be with us when David was drafted. I haven't met the new assistant, Scott Garrow, but Cornell's coaching staff is second to none with just Mike and Brent and I am sure that Scott will be very good as well. Mike, Jamie, and Brent were great and I can't thank them enough for all they did for us and David and the support they gave David in his decision to leave university. David does plan on completing his degree at Cornell in the future.

Being able to come on this forum and read both the positive and negative comments made about the team and David has been great. (To get a some what accurate picture of how David and the team were playing, we would disregard all of the high and low praises and go with the moderate posts. lol)

The Cornell fans are some of the most passionate fans we have ever met (or read) and we love all of you for that. I am talking about the fans who have been there for their team through all the years whether the team was winning or losing. Some of you have been following Cornell hockey for years! That's incredible! That's a fan!

Like I said, coming on here and reading your posts and even dropping in on the IRC chat from time to time, helped my wife and I keep abreast of the team while David played there. For this, I wish to thank all of you. Your posts: the good, the bad and the ugly were all appreciated.

Age, thanks for the web cam the first year and for all of the hockey pics you posted. They were just awesome!

We were privelidged to meet many of the parents of the team and I know that they, like us, will be following this team for years to come. Mr. Marr sent us some fantastic action shots of David; Mr. and Mrs. Paolini and Mr. and Mrs. Downs treated David as one of their own and we thank them for helping him make the transition to university life.

I could go on and on, but this post is probably too long already. I just wanted everyone to know what an incredible experience David had at Cornell and how much he enjoyed his time with you all. His decision to leave early was very, very difficult and was not made lightly.

Finally, as a fan, I would like to add my comments about this year's team:

This year's group of recruits sound like they will have a very positive impact this year and even more so over the next three years.

David McKee has to be absolutely commended for stepping up as a freshman, playing arguably the most difficult position in sports, and doing a phenomenal job keeping the puck out of the net. Last year much was made of "Lenny's" stats due to the incredible defensive play of his team and yet this year McKee's great start without the same defensive effort is being made light of? I think McKee's stats speak volumes for themselves. The adjustment that David McKee has had to make from getting himself ready to play another season of Junior "A" to all of a sudden finding himself the starter as a freshman for a Division One University team has been huge and it appears to me that he has made a very successful adjustment. Congratulations to you David. You are just going to keep getting better and better at Cornell's goaltending U.

I hope Todd's injury is soon healed and that he is given an opportunity to play as well. Todd played well last year when given the chance and I much enjoyed watching him in last year's practice sessions when I was out there. Cornell's goalie postion is well looked after for at least the time being. (Four years at least unless McKee gets too good! lol)

Our sophmores, juniors and seniors led by Ryan Vesce and with guys like Hynes, Cook and a very underrated Downs will do very well this year. Cornell's team is still very good, will get even better coached by Mike Schafer, and you just know that they will continue to recruit great players!

Go Big Red

Yours in hockey

Steve LeNeveu

Post Edited (11-23-03 21:22)

Re: Go Big Red (Long Post)
Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2003 05:14PM

Here here

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 05:29PM

Thank you for the kind words, Steve. Your son had a great collegiate career and I'm sure he'll make a fine pro.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 05:59PM

Steve, your extraordinarily classy and gracious post put a very big smile on my face.

Of course we were disappointed when David left, but we understood, and wished we could have opportunities as exciting as the ones that he has in front of him. I'm sure people complained about how Joe Nieuwendyk's departure affected the team back in 1987, but just look at the reverence with which we talk about him today on this forum! We couldn't be prouder.

With David's skills and determination, it would not surprise me in the least to see him and his achievements being spoken of with reverence as his NHL career winds down in ten or fifteen years. Frank Reich held the QB record for the greatest comeback in college football history for many years, then broke the NFL record as well - perhaps someday people will be talking about the GAA record David set in the NHL.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I know many of us wish David (and you) the absolute best, and we hope that you'll help keep us updated on his progress.

Beeeej

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 06:02PM

Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94 wrote:

I can't speak for everyone here, but I know many of us wish David (and you) the absolute best, and we hope that you'll help keep us updated on his progress.

Beeeej

Couldn't have said it better myself. Steve, I hope you continue to post here, and even participate in some discussions! :-D

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 06:25PM

Jeffrey "Beeeej" Anbinder '94 wrote:
With David's skills and determination, it would not surprise me in the least to see him and his achievements being spoken of with reverence as his NHL career winds down in ten or fifteen years. Frank Reich held the QB record for the greatest comeback in college football history for many years, then broke the NFL record as well - perhaps someday people will be talking about the GAA record David set in the NHL.
Steve, thanks as well for the wonderful post. I'm glad to hear that David enjoyed his experience here and I wholeheartedly agree with Beeeej that your post left a smile on my face. Thanks so much for posting. Just think of us at the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony, would ya? ;-)

It's not woofing if it's true ;-). < knocks on wood as many times as necessary >

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 08:03PM

Thanks for posting. I wish Dave much success both on and off the ice. He was a gift to the team and I'm sure the feeling was mutual.

It makes for a nice start to my Thanksgiving week to read your kind words.

Posted by: HOTELCALIFORNIA (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 08:24PM

Actually, I'm still not too thrilled about the fact that Lenny lied to my face but.....

I do wish him much luck in what ever he wants to do.. what HE wants to do matters most.. and hopefully all his real fans can support that.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:00PM

You couldn't have stressed the importance of an education? Even a little? ;-)

I'm glad that you have such good memories of Cornell. If you have another legend in your bloodline, please direct them to Ithaca.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:05PM

He already is educated more than the average person in the NHL... :-P

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:12PM

Thanks from one of those who has watched for all those many years.

It's easy to see where David's strength comes from.

Thanks from me and please continue to disregard the top and bottom 10-15% of comments, except this one of course.:-)

Re: Go Big Red
Posted by: jkahn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 11:43PM

One of my favorite scenes from last season was during the second semi-final at Providence. I turned around and noticed David sitting with his mom and dad three or four rows behind me, and eating his box lunch. It just struck me as a moment that differentiated college hockey (at least Cornell hockey) from the excesses we see in other college sports. And it certainly differentiated David, a clear star in his sport, from the ego-driven stars we often see nowadays. I exchanged a few words with David after the Hobey ceremonies, and all I can say Steve is congratulations on raising such a fine young man.

Posted by: JS '93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 11:55PM

As others have stated before me, thank you for your kind words.

The dedication your son has shown in both athletics and academics will lead him to great achievements in his hockey career and beyond. There are not many individuals that have a 3.8+ GPA at Cornell, let alone a 1.2 GAA. :-) Obviously, something other than just genes rubbed off from his parents. I'm glad to hear that Cornell was the right choice for both his hockey and academic education. I hope that David will return during the course of his long hockey career to complete his degree.

David McKee--Thank you for your perspective on his play. He is making a huge jump, considering he was not even planning on attending Cornell this year. Not to mention the academic challenges, he was thrown right into the fire, having to step in between the pipes after a Hobey Baker finalist and a Frozen Four team. He has made substantial improvements in the few games he has played, and I'm sure he will continue to do so under Mike Schafer. I hope he reads your words of encouragement. He should hold his head up high.

Best of luck to David in his career and thank you very much for posting your thoughts here. You have a lot to be proud of. Best wishes.

Jeff
(4 year reader, first time posting)

Posted by: Section A (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2003 10:43AM

Thank YOU, Mr. "Lenny" :-D . I hope you'll pass along our best wishes to David.

Posted by: ice the puck (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 12:07PM

Steve,
Thanks so much for posting. I've watched Cornell hockey since the pre-Harkness days, saw John Hughes goal to remember at Lake Placid, and followed the unbeaten team.
David was such a breath of fresh air, and a classy player as well as a classy young man. You have every right to be so proud of him. He is a credit to you as parents, and a credit to Cornell. Your insight on David McKee is right on point. He will only get better, and his stats right now, all things considered, are excellent. Good luck to your son as he pursues his pro-career, and all the best to you guys. Thanks again for thinking of us, and continue to root us back to the Frozen Four.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 12:32PM

ice the puck wrote:

I've watched Cornell hockey since the pre-Harkness days, saw John Hughes goal to remember at Lake Placid, and followed the unbeaten team.
I'm curious, ice, as to which John Hughes goal at Lake Placid you refer. The one that most of us cherish the memory of was the game-winner in the 1970 ECAC championship--at the old Boston Garden.

Date: November 24, 2003 12:36PM

Al,
That's the one!

As I recall, he "scored" but it was called back for an offsides, so he did a "replay" almost identical and it counted. Is that the way you rememer it too?. Us old guys sometimes have dimming recall.

Date: November 24, 2003 12:37PM

I was wrong on the venue, but the season was correct!!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 01:20PM

ice the puck wrote:

I was wrong on the venue, but the season was correct!!
And the memory isn't the slightest bit dim. That's the goal! After 25 or so Bruce Bullock saves in that third period, I didn't think it was ever gonna happen.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 05:21PM

Steve:

Just wanted to echo the praise for David. That's one classy kid you raised, and he's going to reflect well on you and Cornell as he shines in the NHL.

JH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login