Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

An injured McKee??

Posted by Big Red Dog 
An injured McKee??
Posted by: Big Red Dog (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 01:46PM

Saw McKee today on crutches with his foot in a brace, anyone know what happened or if we should be worried? uhoh

Re: An injured McKee??
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 02:55PM

Big Red Dog wrote:

Saw McKee today on crutches with his foot in a brace, anyone know what happened or if we should be worried? uhoh
HOTELCALIFORNIA will be ecstatic. uhoh

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 03:47PM

Jesus Al, give the guy a break. Just because you don't agree with his opinions doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

Posted by: Jacob (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2003 04:02PM

Heard from someone that he had a sprained ankle, had it before last nights game.

Posted by: Ack (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 23, 2003 04:39PM

Say it ain't so...Jacob

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 05:24PM

he was flexing his ankle and knee last night after that breakaway when vesce and the osu guy took out our goalie and the goal. from that?

Posted by: HOTELCALIFORNIA (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 05:48PM

thank you displaced cornellian:-D

oh im a she though

Date: November 23, 2003 07:14PM

And.. I'm gonna be nice...

McKee??! Injured??! Oh my God, what ever are we going to do?!! Chabot??! In net??! No way!!!

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 07:54PM

DisplacedCornellian wrote:

Jesus Al, give the guy a break. Just because you don't agree with his opinions doesn't mean you have to be a dick.

I have been holding the keyboard, trying to be civil and therefore not getting into it with that fleabag hotel. Al isn't being a dick at all. And since the hotel is a female I guess she isn't either.

This board is one of the most civil places to discuss sports on the planet. And if it stays that way it will be because we ALL want it that way.

P.S. I wish I was a freshman goalie. Hell I wish I could skate worth a damn. You should have seen the move Freshman Tim Boron of St. Cloud made last night against RPI. He came way out of the net to fire the puck back to the far blue line during an RPI line change. St. Cloud scored their only goal within the next minute of play. But he also made passes to the same side of the ice all night - right into the area in front of St. Cloud's bench. One seemed to be the reason that St. Cloud got called for too many men. The resulting power play allowed the RIP crew to score the game winning goal. I guess maybe he should go back to lacrosse. If so maybe they'll draft me. nut

Date: November 23, 2003 07:58PM

I'm not a fleabag:`(

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:04PM

Being happy about the injury of one of our players is pretty low.

Posted by: Grad '77 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:13PM

I didn't see where anyone was happy about this. I think we all wish David well and hope that the crutches-and-brace are just preventive measures.

Once a hockey player has his ankle in the skate, the ankle support is very adequate. As long as it's an ankle injury, a player can usually play, depending on the feel of the ankle once it's in the boot.

Date: November 23, 2003 09:24PM

If he was playing while he was injured then the injury can't be all that bad now, can it? Or maybe that's why he let in the last goal with 50 seconds left on the clock? Assuming that McKee knows how to make good judgement.. the injury isn't bad. Otherwise I'd be more sympathetic.. but I thought I was pretty sympathetic, anyway.

Posted by: Pete (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 23, 2003 09:36PM

[Q]McKee??! Injured??! Oh my God, what ever are we going to do?!! Chabot??! In net??! No way!!![/Q]

strange way of showing sympathy rolleyes

Date: November 23, 2003 09:37PM

Are you saying that statement wasn't intended to be dripping with sarcasm?

Date: November 23, 2003 09:44PM

Marty'74 wrote:

I wish I was a freshman goalie.

Hey, Marty, I wish I were a freshman anything. nut

Date: November 23, 2003 09:46PM

DeltaOne.. I'm full of sarcasm.. glad you can recognize it. It's nice that everytime I say something on here you all chew me out.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2003 10:20PM

[Q]HOTELCALIFORNIA wrote:

DeltaOne.. I'm full of sarcasm.. glad you can recognize it. It's nice that everytime I say something on here you all chew me out.[/Q]It is for that very reason why smileys are so useful. Since we cannot see your expression, and we certainly cannot be faulted for interpreting many of your posts as being negative, a nice;-) would say to all what you mean.

This is a civil board and we all need to try and keep it that way. Many of the incivilities come from misinterpretations which would not happen with the spoken word. Voice inflections, etc. do alot for correct communication.

Since we are not accomplished writers, the smileys help.:-)

Posted by: Section A (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2003 10:37AM

No one would be chewing you out if you were a little more respectful of the players who, I thought, played REALLY hard this weekend.

Look, I really don't know why you don't like McKee and would rather have Chabot in net for us. There are reasons he hasn't started a game, one of which is his inability to control rebounds; people who have seen practices, as well as the glimpses we had of him in exhibitions, have confirmed this. McKee, on the other hand, was a first-team goaltender in his league last year AS A ROOKIE. He came here with the challenge of filling the shoes of one of the greatest college goaltenders of all time, and since you're not the one making decisions on our starting lineup AND since the kid is going to be here for the next four years, you really ought to get behind him and support him. Or you're not being a real fan. There's a reason we're the Lynah FAITHFUL.

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: November 24, 2003 10:46AM

Maybe she is Chabot's girlfriend...:-D

Posted by: tml5 (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2003 02:33PM

Jim Hyla wrote:

[q]Since we are not accomplished writers,[/q]

Speak for yourself. ;-)

Date: November 24, 2003 08:37PM

And an ex of McKee?

Posted by: Drew (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 08:52PM

or better yet a beau of Marr's...since he is so much better than the rest of the world apparently...

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 09:08PM

Well, let's see here....

In an earlier post (in the Cornell-Ohio State thread), our HOTEL friend, possibly while under the influence of CRACK at the time, said that she used to be a goaltender and could have saved some of those Ohio State goals (my nomination, by the way, for "most absurd post...ever";). So, since McKee is getting the nod over Chabot, and since HOTEL is so obviously better than McKee, maybe HOTEL, you should be starting in goal for us. I'm sure that would go well rolleyes.

Okay enough...seriously now.......HOTELCA, tell us why you think Chabot or Marr should be playing instead of David. Some good reasons and maybe you won't be ridiculed constantly.

Date: November 24, 2003 10:24PM

Can't we also be Lynah-faithful to Chalbot and Marr?

Date: November 24, 2003 11:10PM

Of course we can :-). Whereas all HOTELCA seems to do is complain about and blame everything on McKee, I never said anything negative about Marr or Chabot. I may have mentioned Chabot's trouble containing rebounds, but that's been well-documented, having been mentioned by others. In fact, I'm completely supportive of Marr (whom I thought would be the starter this year) and Chabot...just not for the starting position right NOW, whether because of less talent, because of injury, or (most importantly) what the coaches see in practice. Hopefully all of these guys can be healthy and can create a nice competition for the starting spot (like Underhill and Lenny did 2 years ago) because that will only make each of them better. THAT is what we should be talking about. It's a shame that this thread took a bad turn after someone expressed glee over an injury to our starting goaltender.

EDIT: Alright, I see, upon closer reading :-), that the earlier comment expressing "glee over an injury" was intended to be sarcastic. I'm sure everyone else is sick of talking about this as well, so let's just move on and hope McKee, AND the other 2, are okay.

Post Edited (11-24-03 23:41)

Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 24, 2003 11:29PM

Well said. The worst part, however, is that while there is a general impression that [q]this thread took a bad turn after someone expressed glee over an injury to our starting goaltender,[/q] I can't find anyone saying that. I find a sarcastic anticipation of that sentiment and an immediate denunciation of the sarcasm, followed by a subsequent escalation. Let's read a little more carefully, not overreact, and stay positive. The team needs good vibes.

Date: November 25, 2003 12:25AM

David Harding '72 wrote:

Let's read a little more carefully, not overreact, and stay positive.

Right. Here are quotes from our HOTEL friend's first five--ever--postings on eLynah:

"I don't like McKee. He's supposed to be some big star from Texas from what I heard before the season.. but he's not all that impressive at all."

"2-1 its about time." [After taking the lead in the SLU game.]

"McKee better hold on...or else I'M going over there and standing in net myself! muuahahahaha" [Immediately after the posting above.]

"Naw... McKee's a[lr]ight it's just that when he came to Cornell he brought a lot of hype with him and then never lived up to my expectations..."

"Personally, I don't really like McKee."

Positive? Constructive? Thoughtful? An opinion informed with specifics?

No apologies for my sarcasm, DisplacedCornellian. We don't need this kind of crap here.

Date: November 25, 2003 06:07AM

Al, humor often gets misunderstood. Maybe HotelCalifornia is just trying to bring some levity to the chatboard. I think HotelC also said she thought "McKee was alright."

Date: November 25, 2003 08:11AM

Grad '77 wrote:

Al, humor often gets misunderstood. Maybe HotelCalifornia is just trying to bring some levity to the chatboard. I think HotelC also said she thought "McKee was alright."
Yes, I included that in my quotes above. But I did inadvertently omit the following post-OSU comment"

"I'd like to hear people's thoughts on the game before I spew out mine...:-(" [My italics.]

I suppose it would all be less distasteful to me if it were intended as a form of humor.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2003 09:02AM

let it go man....just let it go

Date: November 25, 2003 01:24PM

Anyone seen McKee so far this week?

Post Edited (11-25-03 14:41)

Date: November 25, 2003 01:28PM

No....but I saw Vesce and Wallace at Taco Bell. Is that healthy? ;-)

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 25, 2003 01:30PM

Avash '05 wrote:

No....but I saw Vesce and Wallace at Taco Bell. Is that healthy? ;-)
No. It is called "stalking". There are people at Gannett that can help you, or can at least refer you to someone who can help you.

Date: November 25, 2003 01:47PM

And you can feel free to butt out anytime, man.

Date: November 25, 2003 02:18PM

displacedcornellian wrote:
let it go man[/q]
and then
[q]Al DeFlorio wrote:
And you can feel free to butt out anytime, man.
Let's all simmer down.

First, dc, there was absolutely no call at the beginning of all of this to call Al a dick. Now stop provoking him.

Second, Al, your shot (among other people's shots) at Hotel California was gratuitous. There is nothing that HC wrote that indicated that she was hoping that McKee would get hurt, or was happy at the news that he might be. I think it was pretty clear that HC's sarcasm was directed at the implication that she would be pleased to hear McKee was hurt and was not meant to be suggest that she was actually happy with the news (even if she does want to see someone else in net). I don't know why you reacted so badly. Maybe it was because excessive criticism of the goalie seems just so ... Clarkson. Either way, I think you overreacted a little.

Before you can tell me to, I'll just go piss off now.

Post Edited (11-25-03 14:24)

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 05:42PM

It's OK. They ate at Subway the day before that. :-P

JH

Date: November 25, 2003 06:59PM

It's OK as long as they stay away from the North Country Pizza Hut.

Posted by: HOTELCALIFORNIAAAA (---.clarityconnect.com)
Date: November 25, 2003 07:06PM

Okay.. personally, I have opinions like all of you do. And basically.. I just want to see other people in net. Like Todd Marr, who I think is excellent, or Chabot, who deserves some time in net after all his hard work.. and trust me, being on a team like Cornell without even playing games.. that's a lot of time and effort, and Chabot never gets to shine. Also, I'm not a big fan of people who gather up hype (McKee) and then never do anything spectacular. I guess it's not McKee's fault that there were pages and pages on here about him being some star from Texas, but I was expecting a lot more from him and as any other fan, I was disapointed with the loss, or any other time we might lose with him in net, and as I am opinionated, I'll blame who I want. You can argue with me, that's always fun. Love me or hate me I'm gonna be here and say what I think... and it's all my own opinions.. you all know that you don't have to agree with me.

Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 25, 2003 07:10PM

Healthy? Questionable...
Tasteful? I doubt it.

But, every now and then, I do get the urge for a taste from south of the borders...;-) ;-) ;-) (Eh, are these smileys enough to get me out of any potential flames?) :-) :-D :-} (OK, I am not taking any chances here...)

Date: November 25, 2003 07:56PM

HOTELCALIFORNIAAAA wrote: Also, I'm not a big fan of people who gather up hype (McKee) and then never do anything spectacular. I guess it's not McKee's fault that there were pages and pages on here about him being some star from Texas, but I was expecting a lot more from him ...
(Is this really HotelCalifornia? The AAAAA is new, I think.) I still don't understand why you think he was being so hyped. Here are the threads where we discussed our incoming goalie:

First, when Lenny signed with Phoenix: [elf.elynah.com]

Then, after the game against the U18 team: [elf.elynah.com]

Where is the excessive hyping that you keep complaining about? The most that we said was that his numbers from Texas looked promising. You can hope for any goalie that you want. You can think that McKee isn't playing particularly well. But you have no evidence that his reputation was inflated on arrival.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2003 08:58PM

Al DeFlorio wrote:
Damn, beat me to it. yark

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2003 09:05PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Al DeFlorio wrote:
Damn, beat me to it. yark

Is that the one in Potsdam you guys are talking about? My friends and I stopped there before the Clarkson game a week and a half ago...personally, I found it less than great, though not totally inedible. (The sheer number of Clarkson students/fans there, though, was a bit scary.) Is there an inside joke/story I'm not aware of here?

Date: November 25, 2003 09:10PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:
Is there an inside joke/story I'm not aware of here?
Sure is. I'll leave for John the "pleasure" of telling it.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 25, 2003 09:10PM

Yeah, a few years ago the team got food poisoning from the Pizza Hut on the road trip through the North Country.

[elf.elynah.com]

Edit: sorry, John. Still feel free to tell it! ;-)

Post Edited (11-25-03 21:12)

Date: November 25, 2003 09:47PM

Yeah, that was me. I didn't feel like logging in...

Posted by: Invader (---.library.cornell.edu)
Date: November 25, 2003 11:29PM

Hey Hey Here's a little rhyme:

He's crazy & dumb & not much fun
plus, he's just too old to boot
Al DeFlorio is just an old coot

:-P

Date: November 26, 2003 12:17AM

lol Invader who are you?

Posted by: Pete (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2003 07:17AM

[Q]I just want to see other people in net. Like Todd Marr, who I think is excellent[/Q]

I think everybody here thinks Todd is a great goalie too....but he's injured.

[Q]or Chabot, who deserves some time in net after all his hard work[/Q]

I agree with you that it does suck to put in all that work and never play. Anybody who has done that in any sport knows it is never any fun. However, in D-I sports, nobody is getting any playing time unless they're the best person available. I'm not a hockey scout, and I won't claim to know whether Chabot is worthy of any playing time, but surely Schafer has seen enough of both to decide who to put in net.
If Chabot has shown in practice that he's as good as McKee, then by all means, give him some time. Putting somebody in just because they've practiced a lot isn't going to help anybody, though.

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2003 10:16AM

I had forgotten about the Pizza Hut food poisoning incident. Now that you guys mention it, I do remember the story. Thanks for the reminder. :-)

Date: November 26, 2003 12:45PM

See, hotel... I know where you're coming from, and I even generally agree with your point, but you say alot, without backing up any of it.

"Like Todd Marr, who I think is excellent" - can you give us any specifics as to why you think he's excellent? Things you've seen in games, stats, informed people's (coach's, scout's) opinions, even things you've seen in practice. What do you think he does better than McKee? How does his style compare or his positioning?

"Also, I'm not a big fan of people who gather up hype (McKee) and then never do anything spectacular. I guess it's not McKee's fault that there were pages and pages on here about him being some star from Texas, but I was expecting a lot more from him and as any other fan" - as has already been shown, where did you see pages and pages about him? at least pages and pages of hype? I can't remember him being built up very much. We said he had done well in Jrs and had potential, but I never say anyone say he was gonna blow people away. Where is all this hype you're talking about?

"and as I am opinionated, I'll blame who I want. You can argue with me, that's always fun. Love me or hate me I'm gonna be here and say what I think" - and you're certainly welcome to your opinions, but if you want them to be taken seriously, you should try backing them up, proving a point. You have every right to state your opinions, but if you do that with no evidence or examples, then you don't add very much to the conversation.

Essentially, you're entitled to disagree with anyone, but who you're really disagreeing with here is Coach Schafer. Now, you can have the right to do that - no doubt that we often do - but if you're gonna agree with someone who has very high credentials and lots of experience, you should at least provide reasons why, otherwise you'll just gonna be written off. If it's "he said she said" before Coach Schafer and you as far as hockey goes, I don't think you'll win that one.

Post Edited (11-26-03 12:49)

Posted by: Section A (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2003 02:52PM

I think that maybe if we ever have a large third period lead that is also not a shutout (i.e. 5-1 or something), Chabot will be rewarded with some playing time. Last year, this only happened once because a) there were so many shutouts, b) there were all those games where the 1 goal against was scored in the final few minutes of the game and c) (and this may not have been an actual reason that went through Schafer's mind, but who knows?) pulling LeNeveu in the last few minutes after already having given up a goal would have raised his GAA slightly, something that might have hurt him as he was chasing the GAA record as well as a Hobey Baker award. Nevertheless, Schafer let Chabot play a few minutes last year in such a situation, and assuming that this was to reward him for his hard work, then I would think that, in a similar situation this year, the same thing will happen.

As for players who practice but don't play, you really have to be mentally strong to go through it and know that, even though you're not getting playing time, you're still helping the team a lot in practice, all the time hoping that you'll get to play some day. Pajerski, from everything I've heard, has exactly this kind of attitude....and look at someone like Mike Iggulden, who didn't play a lot his first two years, but now is in the regular lineup and has developed into a solid penalty killer.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: December 01, 2003 09:41AM

Avash '05 wrote:
someone like Mike Iggulden, who didn't play a lot his first two years
Ermm... His freshman year, he broke his wrist at Princeton and played every game up to that point. Returned from that injury after only missing 2 games, and didn't play in 3 other games the rest of the year. Played a total of 30 games that year, likely more if he didn't get hurt. Never quite seemed to get back to his original form after the wrist injury until this year.

Posted by: Section A (---.psych.cornell.edu)
Date: December 01, 2003 01:31PM

Hmm, yeah, you're definitely right. I don't really know what I was thinking. Looks like my memory is failing me at the old age of....uh.....20. help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login