Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT - CU Basketball

Posted by David Harding '72 
OT - CU Basketball
Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 19, 2003 10:13PM

Today's Chicago Tribune prints predictions for the NCAA basketball tournament seedings lifted from Mike Hugenin of the Orlando Sentinel. He has Cornell winning the Ivy League spot! bugeye I know they didn't lose any starters from last year and have another big group of freshman, but is the team really that much better than last year? I guess we'll learn a little on Sunday.

Re: OT - CU Basketball
Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2003 11:04PM

I'd love to see the Big Red win the Ivy title this year, but based on the win totals of the last three seasons (7, 5, 8), you have to figure it will be tough.

I'll freely admit I know next to nothing about Ivy League hoops, but from what I've read on the Internet (hey, why not?), I gather that the following is conventional wisdom:

1) The favorites this year are perennial powers Princeton and Penn, along with Yale (who put a scare into #1 UConn a couple of days ago.)

2) Cornell graduated zero impact players last year and has a lot of returning experienced cagers. Ka'Ron Barnes may be the best player in the league.

3) Head coach Steve Donohue has a team with Potential, but eventually will have to start turning that into Wins to be taken seriously.

Cornell plays 26 Division I games this year (plus a Dec. 2 contest against Ithaca College.) Like I said, my basketball knowledge is limited, but I like to see all of Cornell's teams do well. So I'm hoping this will be another "step forward" year for the Big Red. Realistically, though, it's a lot to ask to expect them to go to the NCAA tournament. I'll settle for:

1) 2-4 against the Ivy Big Three (Penn, Princeton, Yale)
2) 4-4 against the Ivy Everyone Else (Harvard, Brown, Columbia, Dartmouth)
3) 5-7 non-conference

So that's an 11-15 season. Enough to say Cornell's moved forward? Maybe. The Big Red apparently have no depth, so maybe just improving the win total should be seen as progress.

For more info, see the basketball prospectus on www.cornellbigred.com. Also check out www.ivybasketball.com, which looks like a great site. I hope it gets updated this year.

P.S. If the Big Red don't step up this year in Newman Arena, I hear there's a pretty good team that plays its home games next door. :-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2003 12:45AM

I was just surprised that we were able to get a big time Div I program to play in our "gym." I always thought that big time programs play at "smaller schools" (we're a large school based on population but based on arena size and ability, we're a small school) only for a substantial percentage of the ticket revenue. But I guess it's better to save the tougher opponents for home games...I can't imagine we generate much ticket revenue. Does anyone have any insight on this? Most of my experience with college basketball was with Siena college and their coach is the current coach of Georgia Tech...Anyways, I know coach Donohue promised games against big name teams but I never thought we'd actually get them to come to Ithaca! He certainly has turned me into a fan! Go Big Red!

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 02:19AM

If I'm not mistaken, we played at Georgia Tech each of the last two seasons, so they owed us one.

Also, in SI's college hoops preview, they mentioned Cornell as an Ivy contender while picking Princeton as the champ: "Junior center Judson Wallace has the range (26 for 72 in treys) to help the Tigers dethrone depleted Penn and hold off the challenge of Cornell."

For what it's worth, Donahue is a hell of a coach and a classy guy in my opinion and he's done a great job with the team...his first recruiting class is now juniors, and hopefully they're all healthy, so they should be very competitive. The ballers deserve some fan support other than the usual Lynah intermission crowd.

Posted by: Adam (---.ia2.marketscore.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:28AM

Cornell has a basketball team??

Hmmm, curious.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:34AM

Adam Brown '03 wrote:

I was just surprised that we were able to get a big time Div I program to play in our "gym." I always thought that big time programs play at "smaller schools" (we're a large school based on population but based on arena size and ability, we're a small school) only for a substantial percentage of the ticket revenue. But I guess it's better to save the tougher opponents for home games...I can't imagine we generate much ticket revenue. Does anyone have any insight on this? Most of my experience with college basketball was with Siena college and their coach is the current coach of Georgia Tech...Anyways, I know coach Donohue promised games against big name teams but I never thought we'd actually get them to come to Ithaca! He certainly has turned me into a fan! Go Big Red!
When I was at Cornell we had one at least one big conference school come to Ithaca every year. Over Christmas break. When nobody was around to watch. The two that I remember were Pitt and North Carolina. (When Dean Smith was the coach at UNC he would play a game near the hometown of all of his seniors. They came to Cornell for King Rice (Binghamton, NY) because Binghamton was D-III then, and I figure he didn't like his seniors so much that he would play a game in the Carrier Dome.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login