Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy League booze?

Posted by Mark 
Ivy League booze?
Posted by: Mark (---.nas.vdot.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 04:41PM

Going through an old box of books in the basement the other day, I came upon a paperback "Bartender's Guide" from 1971 (the original publication date was 1948).

After a quick look at the index I was surprised to find something called a "Cornell cocktail" (Harvard, Yale and Princeton had their own concoctions as well) listed among the book's contents.

Perhaps this can become the official post-victory pop?

Anyway, the ingredients:

1 jigger of Dry Gin; 3 dashes of Maraschino; 1 egg white.

Shake well with ice (preferably from the Lynah zamboni) and strain into glass.

Weren't Hughes and Cropper seen mixing these in Placid after finishing the el perfecto run against Clarkson? ;-)

Re: Ivy League booze?
Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 18, 2003 04:43PM

Mark wrote:
barf God I hope not

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 18, 2003 04:49PM

That is probably the single most disgusting drink I have ever heard of. I can't say that I'm surprised that I've never heard of it before.

What is the crimson? A shot of vodka and a dram of O+?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 04:56PM

[q]What is the crimson? A shot of vodka and a dram of O+?[/q]

More likely a shot of A+ :-P

JH

Date: November 18, 2003 05:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

[q]What is the crimson? A shot of vodka and a dram of O+?[/q]

More likely a shot of A+ :-P

JH
Better.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.bc.yu.edu)
Date: November 18, 2003 06:13PM

Mark wrote:
Good lord. Could we at least dispense with the egg white? yark

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 06:46PM

That sounds VILE. Who can come up with something better? I say extra points to the person who DOESN'T include grenadine, but it's not like i have any suggestions myself.

Date: November 18, 2003 06:54PM

Josh Herman '99 wrote:

Mark wrote:
Good lord. Could we at least dispense with the egg white? yark
Egg white, while gross, isn't that uncommon in drinks. Check out this list (which does include the Cornell Cocktail):
[www.webtender.com]

The site also lists The Cornell, which is more palatable:
[www.webtender.com]

Post Edited (11-18-03 19:09)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 07:19PM

I thought the official postgame cocktail was an Irish Wake. (Good for soothing hoarse throats.)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 08:29PM

Last week, INCH had a list of college hockey cocktails that included this:

[q]Big Red Hooter – Raise a glass to the loudest fan in Lynah history, who inspired this drink. (Tequila, amaretto, pineapple juice and grenadine)[/q]

Certainly sounds better than having to drink an egg white. yark

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 18, 2003 08:40PM

[Q]Shake well with ice (preferably from the Lynah zamboni) and strain into glass[/Q]
While I totally respect our sacred home ice.. Drinking it.. spit and sweat inclusive.. is a whole different health issue altogether. worry

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 19, 2003 05:32PM

When I was in school, the house drink (i.e. the one you got for free on your birthday) at Dunbar's was called a Combat. It included multiple shots, orange juice, grenadine (sorry), and beer. I may have missed a mixer or two also. And it's better than it sounds, though it's awfully sweet.

If you want a red drink tho, how about a plain old vodka and cranberry?

JH

Date: November 19, 2003 06:01PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

If you want a red drink tho, how about a plain old vodka and cranberry?

Won't that come out rather crimson-looking? yark We can't have that.

Posted by: judy (---.michav01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2003 10:35PM

no. that's actually a bright red.

Posted by: D! (---.netvigator.com)
Date: November 19, 2003 10:44PM

Interestingly, the Cornell Cocktail gets a higher rating than The Cornell

Posted by: Erica (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:02AM

The best red drink ever is cranberry and Malibu (Parrot Bay if Malibu is unavailable.) I suggested it to my mom, and now she's got the whole city of Naples, FL drinking it.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:16AM

Why would you ruin perfectly good Parrot Bay by tainting it with cranberry juice? PB on the rocks is all you need!

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:34AM

Parrot Bay isn't exactly red....

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:58AM

Um, the cranberry is genius.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (128.239.189.---)
Date: November 20, 2003 12:04PM

I think he was referring to Robb's post. Parrot bay on the rocks is not red.

Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 12:05PM

[Q]Author: Erica
Date: 11-20-03 11:58

Um, the cranberry is genius.[/Q]

Yes, i know cranberry is. I was referring to Robb '94's comment [Q]Author: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: 11-20-03 11:16

Why would you ruin perfectly good Parrot Bay by tainting it with cranberry juice? PB on the rocks is all you need!
[/Q] about PB on the rocks, which is NOT red (though it is tasty)

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2003 01:21PM

That one appears to have been created by someone with the last name 'cornell' and as a result has no relation to our alma matter.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.41.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 02:22PM

How about a poll? Would you drink a Cornell Cocktail based only on the ingredients?

Date: November 20, 2003 03:54PM

Bill '94 wrote:

How about a poll? Would you drink a Cornell Cocktail based only on the ingredients?

Well, a better poll would be: Would you drink a Cornell Cocktail based on its name, knowing its ingredients? (Or some other less wordy way to convey that thought.)

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.83.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 04:43PM

I was figuring that most Faithful would at least try it based on the name alone.

Possible answers for your idea:
No
Yes
Yes, but only out of the Cleary Cup in Albany

Post Edited (11-20-03 16:45)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 05:25PM

[Q]Yes, but only out of the Cleary Cup in Albany[/Q]
It's the Whitelaw in Albany. The Cleary spitoon is for RS champs.

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 06:30PM

Just for comparison purposes, here's the other Ivy cocktails that pertain to hockey playing schools:

Harvard (Brandy, Sweet Vermouth, Angostura Bitters, Sugar Syrup)

Princeton (Dry Gin, Port, Orange Bitters)

Yale (Dry Gin, Dry Vermouth, Orange Bitters, Sugar Syrup, Maraschino)

And the book also included other such popular favorites as Sweet Patootie, Kup's Indispensible, Golden Screw, Castle Dip and Bosom Caresser.

Just wondering, but having only been in Ithaca once before, about 20 years ago, is there a bar there known as "Peaches" or something that sounds similar?

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.169.116.234.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: November 20, 2003 08:19PM

Ithaca bars I can remember from my era (90-94) in no particular order:

Dunbar's
Ruloff's
Johnny's
(Royal) Palms
Dino's
Clubhouse
Chapter House
Chariot (more of a pizza place, but they had a bar)
Ithaca Sports Club (bubble hockey!)

If there was someplace like "Peaches" it must have been REALLY good, because I don't even remember it.... coffee <---hangover

Date: November 20, 2003 08:37PM

Robb '94 wrote:

If there was someplace like "Peaches" it must have been REALLY good, because I don't even remember it.... coffee <---hangover
I don't remember Peaches, but wasn't there a bar called "Plums" on the Commons?

Yale & ?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 08:55PM

So what does the Yale Glee Club drink?

[pantheon.yale.edu]

(sibling on the right)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 08:58PM

Robb '94 wrote:

Ithaca bars I can remember from my era (90-94) in no particular order:

Dunbar's
Ruloff's
Johnny's
(Royal) Palms
Dino's
Clubhouse
Chapter House
Chariot (more of a pizza place, but they had a bar)
Ithaca Sports Club (bubble hockey!)

Johnny's is no more. Replaced by 2 Asian restaurants, which are now dominating the Collegetown landscape. I swear there are 3 Korean, 2 Japanese, 2-3 Thai places, and at least one Vietnamese place in Collegetown now. The Johnny's sign is still there.

Clubhouse is now "Johnny O's" Pretty much the same place.

Chapter House now has bubble hockey. They've also eliminated their home-brews (5 or so years ago, but added more taps to compensate), and have a cover charge on Thursday and Saturday nights for the bands that play there now. This past summer, they installed a stage-type area in the back corner where the grill used to be.

Collegetown also has the Bear Lodge (formerly the shut-down "Connection";) and Collegetown Bagels has beer (now located in the old Oliver's). Stella's also expanded to have an uber-trendy bar and dance club in addition to the original coffee cafe. And don't forget the Nines, which, like the Chariot, is a pizza place with a bar.

In other C-town news, the Wendy's is now a pizza place, and they tore down the old Gould's building this summer. Probably to make room for yet another high-rise apt. building. Little Joe's and Joe's down the hill are both closed and empty.

Ithaca Sports Club is the only non-collegetown bar on Robb's list, and there are plenty of other places downtown like Micawbers, Benchwarmers....the Creeker. :-)

A quick search didn't reveal any Ithaca establishment, but there is a "Peaches Sports Bar & Grill" in Seneca Falls, NY which is at the other end of Cayuga Lake.

Post Edited (11-20-03 21:07)

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2003 09:21PM

Great pic Marty! I e-mailed Pabst brewery the other day about how to obtain some Shaefers in Ithaca, but I haven't heard anything back. Apparently Pabst is brewing a bunch of regional beers to keep them on the market. Would make a great pre/post game drink if I could find it.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.19.200.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:20PM

That's embarrassing. I really do know the difference. Well, with any luck, they can drink from the Whitelaw and spit it back into the Cleary.

Re: Yale & ?
Date: November 20, 2003 10:54PM

Marty'74 wrote:

So what does the Yale Glee Club drink?
[pantheon.yale.edu]
(sibling on the right)
Maybe Martin should get some advice from Age and Chris on avoiding redeye. ;-)

Re: Yale & ?
Posted by: marty (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 02:41AM

big red apple wrote:

Maybe Martin should get some advice from Age and Chris on avoiding redeye. ;-)

Actually he is in the picture, too. (And he brought me a gift of a can which I imbibed the next morning.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 03:02AM

Johnny's is no more. Replaced by 2 Asian restaurants, which are now dominating the Collegetown landscape. I swear there are 3 Korean, 2 Japanese, 2-3 Thai places, and at least one Vietnamese place in Collegetown now. The Johnny's sign is still there.
2 Korean, 2 Thai (kinda two parts of one - one kitchen at least), 2 Japanese, 1 Chinese, 1 Vietnamese, 1 Indian - all within a block and a half of the College Ave / Dryden Rd intersection

Collegetown cuisine
Date: November 21, 2003 07:08AM

Are there still two and a half Greek restaurants (Souvlaki House, Greek House, and Eladio's)?

Re: Collegetown cuisine
Date: November 21, 2003 07:50AM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

Are there still two and a half Greek restaurants (Souvlaki House, Greek House, and Eladio's)?

Souvlaki House and Greek House, yes; Eladio's, no. I don't recall an Eladio's during my time here in Ithaca, where was that located?

It's also worth noting that the pizzeria that stands in place of Wendy's now (aptly, if unoriginally, called Collegetown Pizzeria) has, IMHO, better pizza than Mama T's. To their credit, though, it isn't that Mama T's is bad, but I think C-Town Pizzeria is slightly better.

Date: November 21, 2003 08:00AM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:
Souvlaki House and Greek House, yes; Eladio's, no. I don't recall an Eladio's during my time here in Ithaca, where was that located?
Just downhill from the parking garage. It served a variety of near-Eastern food. I thought I remembered it being around in the 1990s, perhaps under a different name.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 08:16AM

Are you thinking of Aladdin's?

Beeeej

Date: November 21, 2003 09:49AM

It's also worth noting that the pizzeria that stands in place of Wendy's now (aptly, if unoriginally, called Collegetown Pizzeria) has, IMHO, better pizza than Mama T's. To their credit, though, it isn't that Mama T's is bad, but I think C-Town Pizzeria is slightly better.
Oh hell no. It is that Mama T's is bad. It's hideous. Makes Pudgie's look upscale. That being said, CTown Pizzeria is quite good.

Posted by: ericho_4511 (---.plymouth.edu)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:24AM

Obviously you've never had the pleasure of Schaefer in the can yark

Schafer = great coach
Schaefer = great jingle, god awful beer

Also whoever thought of having sushi and Schaefer together is screwy

Just my humble opinion. :-P

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:37AM

I don't remember Peaches, but wasn't there a bar called "Plums" on the Commons?

Bingo, Big Red Apple, it was "Plums." I knew it was some sort of fruit, but my memory escaped me on the actual name. Considering I was there when Mike Schafer was "playing" for the Big Red, there's probably a reason I forgot. I bet Mike had a pop or two in Plums in his day. From what I remember, it had a nice wooden bar -- has it changed names and remained a bar, or is it something else?

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:45AM

Three Korean. There's a Korean BBQ place near Aladdin's, that looks downright terrible, to go with Collegetown Cafe and Four Seasons. The Asian Noodle House, formerly known as TAP, serves a variety of noodles, but seems to be mostly Vietnamese or Thai. I've heard nothing good about the place, but I've never been.

So the count is - 1 Vietnam (sic), 1 mixed Asian noodles, 2 Thai (Lemon Leaf and Little Thai House II - both not very good/downright bad - if you want Thai, go downtown), 3 Korean, 1 Chinese, 2 Japanese. None of these places is particularly good, although I occasionally get a craving for something and end up at Four Seasons or one of the overpriced Japanese places.

In addition to the Pizza places, there's the Souvlaki House, which has the best cheap Italian food in the area, IMO. Why doesn't somebody open a decent cheap Italian restaurant in this town, anyway? Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 10:46AM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

Oh hell no. It is that Mama T's is bad. It's hideous. Makes Pudgie's look upscale. That being said, CTown Pizzeria is quite good.

I miss La Belle Pizza that stood across from the Fleet Bank. Pizzabilities that replaced it was good too, although they were massively undercapitalized. The upscale Korean place that replaced it is overrpriced, at least compared to Four Seasons down the hill.

Date: November 21, 2003 10:53AM

So the count is - 1 Vietnam (sic), 1 mixed Asian noodles, 2 Thai (Lemon Leaf and Little Thai House II - both not very good/downright bad - if you want Thai, go downtown), 3 Korean, 1 Chinese, 2 Japanese. None of these places is particularly good[/q]
I don't think that's really fair. Vietnam is pretty good, and for the price it's downright amazing. Four Seasons is usually good, and Kayuga isn't cheap, but the sushi is generally worth it.

[q]Why doesn't somebody open a decent cheap Italian restaurant in this town, anyway?
What, like the failed Little Joe's?

Date: November 21, 2003 11:50AM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

[q]Why doesn't somebody open a decent cheap Italian restaurant in this town, anyway?

[/quote]I never understood the high regard people had for Joe's when I was at Cornell. I thought the bottomless salad was OK, but the breadsticks were overrated and the entire menu was ordinary.

And then it became a multimillion dollar chain called The Olive Garden.

By the way, speaking of Italian, where do I go to get (ShortStop) Hot Truck now? Is it still behind West Campus, or do I actually have to go to ShortStop, the original Ithaca-style deli? (F Atkins. I've been away too long and need my fix.)

Post Edited (11-21-03 11:53)

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:00PM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

I actually don't think Little Joe's failed. The owner apparently moved to Florida, selling both restaurants. Say what you will about the quality, it did do a good business.

As for the C-Town Pizza/Mama T's debate, I seem to remember the new place copying Mama T's menu right down to the garlic knots. The quality seemed more or less the same, but mind you I only went there a couple times in the few months it was open before I graduated (I think I was too bitter about the closing of Wendy's to take the place seriously).

Date: November 21, 2003 12:11PM

You're right, Age. That was unfair. Sorry, I was being lazy.

For the price, Vietnam is amazing (it's like $5 a meal, and significantly better food than Hong Kong and the Little Thai House II, which are comparably priced).

I think it was also a generally bad choice of words on my part - I like Four Seasons now and again. Their Kimchee is good, which is more than I can say for Collegetown Cafe (maybe they've gotten better since I was there last), and the soups at Four Seasons have never let me down.

A better way of putting it would have been: none of these places is really fantastic, but you can do well if you order the right things.

However, I don't think we'll ever agree about the Japanese in this town. :)IMO, Kayuga/Plum Tree are generally way overpriced for what you get, which wouldn't even be great if it was cheap. Being half-Japanese I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to that style of food, so maybe my opinion isn't really worth as much.

The exceptions: if you go with a large group of people and order a special catering tray of sushi, Kayuga is pretty good (it may still be overpriced - I've never had to pay in those situations - and it probably helps to be Japanese). The nabe dishes are good, and not *too* expensive, and the yakisoba is passable, but avoid the donburi and unajyu (unless you absolutely, positively, have to have an oyakodon, which has happened to me, and then it was worth it to not have to track down a good recipe). I was never impressed by the standard sushi at either place, but again if you absolutely, positively, have to have it I think it'll be worth it.

As for Little Joe's, I think it failed because it just went bad. The first time I ate there, I thought I'd found my favorite C-Town restaurant. The second time (and every time thereafter) the pasta (not the sauce - just the pasta) was god awful, although the non-pasta dishes were still great. By the time it closed, nothing was especially good (although most of the non-pasta food was at least ok). It's a shame, but that restaurant (and Joe's downtown) just slid downhill. Maybe it was doomed to failure from the beginning, but I think a truly great pasta joint would do pretty well, provided the location and price were right.

I'm more interested in getting good cheap Italian food in Ithaca - doesn't have to be in C-Town. Any suggestions? I can't think of any place that fits the description downtown, and the place off of 96 (no, not Franco's - hey is their sit-down any good?) isn't so cheap anymore.

This isn't in Ithaca, but I had a pretty good (if garlicky) experience at Aiello's in Whitney Point. Pretty long haul, though.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:15PM

You people are too fast for me. :)

Maybe the quality slid after the sale. Or maybe it's just nostaligia, but I do remember both Joe's and Little Joe's being much better when I first got to Ithaca.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:22PM

Tom Lento wrote:

I'm more interested in getting good cheap Italian food in Ithaca - doesn't have to be in C-Town. Any suggestions? I can't think of any place that fits the description downtown, and the place off of 96 (no, not Franco's - hey is their sit-down any good?) isn't so cheap anymore.

Are you referring to Angelina Centini's, on Coddington Road? I like this place, and it's merely moderately priced (not cheap, but not overly expensive either). The pasta is decent, and the salad comes from a gondola. Seriously. More info: [www.angelinacentinis.com]

Date: November 21, 2003 12:31PM

big red apple wrote:

By the way, speaking of Italian, where do I go to get (ShortStop) Hot Truck now? Is it still behind West Campus, or do I actually have to go to ShortStop, the original Ithaca-style deli? (F Atkins. I've been away too long and need my fix.)

The Hot Truck is still on Stewart Avenue, right behind Class of '22. It's open during most of the academic year (i.e., not during breaks). Come on down to the Truck like people should, or just get delivery (and tip your driver, since there's a decent chance that'll be me :-D ). More info: [www.thehottruck.com]

A recommendation for the hungry: Try the Big Willie. It's new, but soooo good.

A word to the wise: You CAN get certain classic Truck sandwiches (the PMP, the WGC, the MBC, the Sui, and the CSC, which isn't classic but is among the newer chicken sandwiches) at Shortstop, but don't. It doesn't taste nearly the same. It's not bad, really, but it doesn't taste like Hot Truck. Just get normal deli sandwich stuff at Shortstop, and get real Hot Truck at Hot Truck. :-)

Date: November 21, 2003 12:32PM

I was quite underwhelmed by Angela Centini's the one time I went. And the accordion guy really had to go. Sure, small sample size and all, but still...

Date: November 21, 2003 12:38PM

Cowbell Guy wrote:

I was quite underwhelmed by Angela Centini's the one time I went. And the accordion guy really had to go. Sure, small sample size and all, but still...

Accordion guy? I must be going on the wrong nights. :-P

Hot Truck hours
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 21, 2003 12:39PM

Did they used to be closed Sundays? For that matter, were the hours ever posted anywhere? I seem to recall it just being word of mouth.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:41PM

Cowbell Guy wrote:
Accordion guy? I must be going on the wrong nights. :-P
Reminds me of the restaurant I used to go to in Matamoros where the old Tom Lehrer line was literally true: "The mariachis would serenade, and they would not shut up 'til they were paid." :-D

Post Edited (11-21-03 12:42)

Date: November 21, 2003 12:45PM

They do delivery now? That's just wrong. You've got to stand out and wait or it's just not... Admittedly I considered doing mail order a few years back but that's different :-P

Great. Now I'm going to be drooling over thoughts of a Double PMP, Heavy, Soprano all day.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:56PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

They do delivery now? That's just wrong. You've got to stand out and wait or it's just not... Admittedly I considered doing mail order a few years back but that's different :-P

Yeah, I agree that it's wrong, but on the other hand, if I have to lower myself to be a delivery boy for any restaurant/food service in Ithaca, it might as well be the Hot Truck.

If it makes you feel better, I'm still fairly sure the majority of their business comes from the window and not the phone, particularly on the weekends.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:56PM

I'm pretty sure that Joe's changed owners at some point, which probably led to the demise. Now it seems the default place to go for nice-informal dining is the Boatyard Grill. From what I heard the Boatyard was opened by the old owner of Joe's. By the lake, nice atmosphere, good bar, and pretty good food the times I've eaten there.

The new Korean BBQ place opened recently at the site of the old "Billy Bob Jack's Outhouse on Dryden.

For "cheap Italian" there's always Luccatelli's on Elmira Rd. (near Pudgies and Northside)

Date: November 21, 2003 01:05PM

I'll have to try Luccatelli's. As for Angelina Centini's (that's the name of the place I was thinking of before), I'm with Age - underwhelmed is the perfect description of how I felt after eating there. Small sample size, to be sure, but the marinara sauce was pretty blah. The sausage was good, as was the salad bar, but overall not a great meal. Accordian guy? I must've missed his night on, but I think that might be a blessing.

I've still never eaten at the Boatyard Grill, although I've been meaning to try it. I like Bistro Q, which is also on the lake, although I don't eat there often.

Date: November 21, 2003 01:06PM

One thing to remember about Hot Truck's delivery/phone order decision. They don't have the luxury of having dorms full of hungry freshmen 50 feet away anymore. They have to be able to make their presence known and cater to the new blood. At first, I was appalled too, but how many freshmen, unaware of the greatness of Hot Truck, would walk all that way?

And because of the West Campus construction, Hot Truck is now situated at its normal spot day and night (not sure of the daytime hours). Also, there's a Pepsi machine affixed to the steps external to the truck. Problems: not open at all anymore on Sundays. And after the Saturday WMU game, they didn't open until after 11 pm.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.49.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 01:10PM

Keith, what does Soprano mean? I haven't had Truck since '99 and if that term was in use I missed it.

Date: November 21, 2003 01:23PM

Rich H '96 wrote:

Hot Truck is now situated at its normal spot day and night (not sure of the daytime hours).

Last I checked, daytime hours were M-F 9-2. I think they serve normal Truck sandwiches plus breakfast stuff like they do at Shortstop (egg, bacon/sausage/ham, cheese on bagels).

And after the Saturday WMU game, they didn't open until after 11 pm.

11PM is the normal opening time on weekends. Considering how late weekends tend to go there, it's no surprise they have no desire to open early--it's an exhausting job, to say the least. (Delivery cuts out at 3AM on weekends.)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 21, 2003 01:46PM

FYI, Lemon Leaf is no longer open... it closed towards the beginning of the summer.

Hot Truck on the weekends still takes orders over the phone, but ya gotta go down and pick it up, so I saved myself 15 minutes once by calling and then heading down to wait (the whole thing still took 45 minutes). I agree though, ya gotta wait :-).

Date: November 21, 2003 01:54PM

"Soprano" means "one meatball," and has been in use since at least 1987.

Beeeej

Date: November 21, 2003 02:30PM

[Q] "Beeeej" wrote:

"Soprano" means "one meatball," and has been in use since at least 1987. [/Q]

I never heard that one or saw it on the menu so I thought it was a new thing - figured it was a reference to the TV show. Thanks for the answer.

Ithaca Restaurants
Date: November 21, 2003 03:03PM

Bistro Q seems to be the new default place for the Mangrove party, which used to go to Joe's on a regular basis.

Date: November 21, 2003 03:08PM

Keith K '93 wrote:
They do delivery now? That's just wrong. You've got to stand out and wait or it's just not...
Well, you should be there to order and pick up. Back in my day we used to retire to 660 and wait indoors.

Post Edited (11-21-03 15:08)

Date: November 21, 2003 03:18PM

Nope, it's a reference to the tone of your voice if you were partially castrated (i.e., had "one ball";).

Beeeej

Date: November 21, 2003 03:56PM

Yeah. I don't think it was ever "listed" on the menu. But the menu doesn't claim to be complete - just to include the most common terms.

Date: November 21, 2003 04:00PM

I understand that without the frosh there they may have needed to do something. But calling in for Truck delivery is still "wrong".

I rarely ever waited too long, 'cuz during the time when I was totally truck addicted (3 to 4 times a week for "dinner" at the end) I usually got there before the truck did. Thus no lines.

Date: November 21, 2003 04:04PM

Jeffrey &quot;Beeeej&quot; Anbinder '94 wrote:
Nope, it's a reference to the tone of your voice if you were partially castrated (i.e., had "one ball";).

Yeah, that was my second guess although the first thing that comes to my mind would be no meatballs at all.

Date: November 21, 2003 04:07PM

Bill '94 wrote:

Jeffrey &quot;Beeeej&quot; Anbinder '94 wrote:

Yeah, that was my second guess although the first thing that comes to my mind would be no meatballs at all.
Of course, to order a sub with no meatballs, you don't need a term for it. You just don't bring up the notion of meatballs on your sub at all. If you order an MBC with no meatballs you are just being a pain in the ass. And they are allowed to put the truck in gear and back over you.

Post Edited (11-21-03 16:07)

Posted by: Erica (---.IERN.DISA.MIL)
Date: November 21, 2003 04:34PM

Tom, try Lucatelli's. It's across the street from Northside. My family went there the night of my graduation, and my Italian stepfather was impressed. Therefore, it must be more than decent.

Date: November 21, 2003 04:53PM

Erica wrote:

Tom, try Lucatelli's. It's across the street from Northside. My family went there the night of my graduation, and my Italian stepfather was impressed. Therefore, it must be more than decent.
I went there for graduation once also. Good times. [www.lucatellis.com]

Date: November 21, 2003 04:56PM

Sure, but why would you need a term for adding "no meatballs" to your sub?

Beeeej

Posted by: Rob '98 (---.uspto.gov)
Date: November 21, 2003 05:37PM

I can also recommend Lucatelli's (though I havent been there since I graduated) My (Italian) family really enjoyed the place.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.31.20.88.Dial1.NewYork1.Level3.net)
Date: November 21, 2003 07:17PM

Beeeej wrote:

Sure, but why would you need a term for adding "no meatballs" to your sub?

You wouldn't - although you could think of it as "hold the meatballs" if there was no easier way to order the sandwich. I don't suppose this comes up often on the Hot Truck menu.

Date: November 21, 2003 09:51PM

IIRC, Hitler only had "one ball", but somehow I think ordering your sub "Hitler" would not be a good idea. uhoh

Posted by: Dave '02 (---.carolina.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2003 08:37PM

For those willing to travel for Italian food, Aiello's in Whitney Point is pretty good and if you are willing to drive about 45-50 minutes, Nirchi's in Endicott is fantastic. Just make sure you get the Nirchi's Italian restaurant and not one of the crappy pizza places. And while you're in the Binghamton area, you might as well stop by Sam the Beer Man on Upper Front St. and pick up some Schafer beer. Obviously neither of these are quick, but if you're looking to get out of Ithaca for awhile on a Saturday afternoon, they're both good choices, though Nirchi's is better IMO

Date: November 23, 2003 09:46PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

I understand that without the frosh there they may have needed to do something. But calling in for Truck delivery is still "wrong".

I rarely ever waited too long, 'cuz during the time when I was totally truck addicted (3 to 4 times a week for "dinner" at the end) I usually got there before the truck did. Thus no lines.

Calling in my order from the Chapter House so I could finish my beer before walking to Hot Truck for pick up was a marked improvement over standing on the steps for 45 minutes. I don't know about delivery (even though it keeps OOTGWGROV employed), but a phone at Hot Truck for pickup is a great idea.

OTOH, it turns out that my body no longer agrees with a 1AM Triple Sui.

EDITED on 11/24 to comply with the strictures of English grammar.

Post Edited (11-24-03 14:22)

Posted by: tml5 (---.walngs01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2003 02:15PM

I have been to Aiello's, and was quite impressed. Very good overall, and excellent for the price. Don't go unless you like garlic.

I'll try Nirchi's if I'm ever out that way.

Thanks for the recommendations all! I'll give Lucatelli's a shot sometime. :)

Triple Sui's
Date: November 24, 2003 02:43PM

My body never agreed with a 1am Triple Sui. That's the only sandwich I ever ordered that I couldn't finish in one sitting. Very good stuff, but filling.

I love this board. A thread entitled "Ivy League Booze?" ends up in a discussion of eateries in Ithaca and Hot Truck...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login