Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Who will be in Ithaca for Hahvahd?

Posted by CU at Stanford 
Who will be in Ithaca for Hahvahd?
Posted by: CU at Stanford (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: November 18, 2003 02:19AM

Hey, can I start a new thread? Rebecca and I are coming to the Brown-Harvard weekend in Ithaca. We are psyched! Beeeej, are we gonna see you there, too? B-]

Re: Who will be in Ithaca for Hahvahd?
Posted by: Chris Moberg (---.pivot.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 09:05AM

Beth and I will be there.

Posted by: gtsully (12.110.145.---)
Date: November 18, 2003 10:33AM

I'll be there for Harvard, but not Brown (which right now, might be an even better game... crazy ) - should be a great time.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.NYCMNY83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 18, 2003 10:51PM

Of course!! With bells on and with my new sweetie.

Probably won't make it to Brown on Friday, though - Yana can't get off work early enough. Anybody got any suggestions for warping the time-space continuum?

Beeeej

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2003 09:54PM

[Q]Beeeej wrote: Probably won't make it to Brown on Friday, though - Yana can't get off work early enough. Anybody got any suggestions for warping the time-space continuum?[/Q]Yeah, a new sweetie.:-D

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 07:58AM

I agree Beeeej. Somebody needs to get their priorities straight :-P

JH

Date: November 20, 2003 12:16PM

Hey, she's beautiful, Jewish, a huge Billy Joel fan, and gets along with my friends. "Cornell alum" and "hockey fan" would've been perfect, but you can't have everything. :-D

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 01:28PM

In the absence of "Cornell alum" and "hockey fan", willing to drive to Ithaca for Cornell-Harvard is pretty good.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 07:55PM

I will be there - first time in Ithaca in 6 years.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 08:32PM

Not that anyone cares, but I'll be there, of course.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2003 08:40PM

Do the not-in-ithaca faithful come to the harvard game because it is the highlight of the season for season ticket holders, sorta like what would be hockey's homecoming ?
It seems odd to choose this game to drive a ways to support cornell based on the specific opponent [don't get me wrong, i look forward to the harvard game, but just as much as i look forward to any other game]. We all hate the crimson, but it seems to me that true fans would look forward to driving to ithaca and possesing tickets for any game.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:22PM

[Q]Ben wrote:
but it seems to me that true fans would look forward to driving to ithaca and possesing tickets for any game.[/Q]Come on, some people travel across the country to get to a few games. If that were me and if I had a choice, I'd certainly pick this one. Give some faithful a break.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 20, 2003 10:36PM

Jim Hyla '67 wrote:

[Q]Ben wrote:
but it seems to me that true fans would look forward to driving to ithaca and possesing tickets for any game.[/Q]Come on, some people travel across the country to get to a few games. If that were me and if I had a choice, I'd certainly pick this one. Give some faithful a break.
Absolutely right, Jim. I daresay, if any Cornell fan could only go to one (regular season) game a year, but it could be ANY game they would go to Harvard at Lynah. That game has crowd energy like no other, and being a part of the Faithful means more than just enjoying hockey, it means being a part of the Faithful.

I can't be in Ithaca for Harvard, so I will "settle" for Princeton in Princeton and OSU this weekend.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:08PM

Ben Rocky '04 wrote:

Do the not-in-ithaca faithful come to the harvard game because it is the highlight of the season for season ticket holders, sorta like what would be hockey's homecoming ?
It seems odd to choose this game to drive a ways to support cornell based on the specific opponent [don't get me wrong, i look forward to the harvard game, but just as much as i look forward to any other game]. We all hate the crimson, but it seems to me that true fans would look forward to driving to ithaca and possesing tickets for any game.
I typically go to whatever game fits into my schedule (so a lot of Thanksgiving and post-Xmas games; basically if I'm in the Northeast I'll try to drive to wherever Cornell's playing every weekend I can) but if I have to pick one weekend to fly up for, it'll be the Hahvahd weekend, all else being equal. Between the fish and Love Story, it's beyond even a typical Cornell game. Plus there's usually some extra meaning, like in November 1995, when we had a collective premonition the 10-year winless streak was going to end, between the karmic backlash of the fish goal game ( [www.amurgsval.org] ) and the sea change of Schafer's first season. And that's the trip where Mom got me this jersey:

This year, I basically picked out the Hahvahd and Clarkson home weekends for weekend getaways to Lynah (not only is Clarkson a fun game because of the two-grizzled-old-warriors nature of the rivalry and the fact that Tech is one of two visiting teams that actually brings a band, but this year it's also the last home weekend).

Picking trips by opponents makes even more sense on the road, though. I'm a sucker for a North Country trip myself. I would have put UVM on the list, but with the downturn in the Catamount fortunes, the atmosphere at the Gut seems to have died down, plus the Last Chance has closed, and the UVM Anti-Fan club is dwindling.

Oh, and I try not to miss a Cornell-BU game, either in Lynah or Walter Brown.

Ride from Albany/to Kingston?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 20, 2003 11:12PM

BTW, this is probably a good time to ask: can anyone driving to Ithaca from Albany or New England for the Hahvahd/Brown weekend give me a ride? I land in the Albany Airport at 12:38 Friday (the day of the Brown game) and plan to have no checked luggage. I've got a backup plan, but it involves someone driving way out of their way, so if there's anyone going that way, I'd be happy to help with the gas and driving.

Also, I'm looking for a lift back, preferably to Kingston/Hudson Valley, but if someone's headed for the Mass Pike I can probably work something out with a conveniently located Thruway rest stop.

Email jtw24 if interested.

Thanks.

Date: November 21, 2003 12:55AM

JTW alluded to the November '95 game at which brand-new coach Schafer helped us exorcise ten years worth of demons... Well, I wasn't there. I won't go into why (no reason to start that thread again), but I wasn't. And that night, I promised myself that if I could have any say in the matter, I would simply not ever miss another Cornell-Hahvahd game again, home or away. And I haven't, though I've come close - I missed the first period once.

Once.

Plus, this year there's the added dimension that I've been trying to explain the Cornell hockey phenomenon to Yana (who went to NYU, where they don't care about sports), and she doesn't quite get it. Obviously there's no substitute for seeing it in person, and what better example than Fish & Fowl?

Now if I can just figure out how to get us both into Section C with one of our tickets in Section O (sucks).

Beeeej

Date: November 25, 2003 07:25PM

Drive to Ithaca? Who said anything about driving? Ben '04: My wife and I are flying from SFO to ITH. That is coast to coast. That is what being a Lynah Faithful is all about (esp. after you have graduated). For the record, this is our second consecutive SFO-ITH road trip for the Harvard game. Before that, it was 1997 when I was already at Harvard (but Rebecca was still in Ithaca).

Beeeej: We will have to initiate Yana into the Lynah Way ;-) (you know, secret hand-shakes and all...and, do you know that Rebecca had never been to a hockey game before our first date, Army vs. Cornell in January 1990? Look at her now!)

Greg Berge: It will be great to have your presence in the Big House again. Fellow West Coasters unite (assuming you are still in OR).

Post Edited (11-25-03 21:48)

Posted by: Beeeej (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2003 06:54PM

Tom Tseng '87 wrote:
Beeeej: We will have to initiate Yana into the Lynah Way ;-) (you know, secret hand-shakes and all...and, do you know that Rebecca had never been to a hockey game before our first date, Army vs. Cornell in January 1990? Look at her now!)

Well, that's 'cause Cornell won that game. We'd better win next Saturday!! :-{)}

Beeeej

Posted by: jy3 (139.127.225.---)
Date: December 01, 2003 04:57PM

some of us alum lynah faithful drive to all the home games and some of the away games as well :)

of course my fiancee is still at the vet school so hockey is a great excuse to see her ;)

i just realized that after january we will have to make the daily trip from binghamton for weekend games - no more staying in ithaca (ack!)

i will be there for both games although my fiancee may miss parts of both depending on the client schedule and load at the vet school. i look forward to this being a key weekend in the journey to albany. LGR!

Date: December 02, 2003 02:54AM

Beeeej:

You are right: Cornell beat Army in that game, in OT. But, Rebecca left well before the game ended to go to some concert at the Haunt downtown. That gave me the excuse of calling her up the next day (Sunday) to say, "by the way, you missed a hell of a victory. Would you like to go out again?" :-) Pretty smooth I was in my dating days...

Posted by: skijmpr (---.cpe.newsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 01:31PM

Make sure and do a "SIEVE HYPHEN SIEVE!" if Grumet-Morris is in net. :-D

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.z066088243.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: December 03, 2003 11:58AM

Anybody traveling from the NYC/LI area for this weekend?

I'm looking for either a ride, or just a carpool "buddy" (with myself being the driver). So I'm flexible, with the main goal being getting to Ithaca sometime on Friday evening or early Saturday.

Let me know...thanks!

Posted by: JDeafvCornell (---.howard01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2003 06:55AM

Kate and I are coming into town today for the weekend, we'll be driving out of the zanny snow here in DC, brining it with us to Ithaca.

See everyone tonight at Lynah, LGR!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login