Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Prospect Updates

Posted by pfibiger 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Prospect Updates
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 11:49AM

...he devalues to about 60% of his north of the border value?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 12:13PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

During this year's North Country trip, my friends and I decided to spend Friday night through Saturday afternoon in the Ottawa area. One of the things we saw was the Canadian War Museum. (It seems a major theme of Canadian military history is "Blame America", ironically enough.) One part of the museum was dedicated to a children's area, which listed the proper ages as 5-12. After spending three quarters of a day frequently calculating miles to kilometers and American money to Canadian money, I basically said, "What's that in American years?"

Yeah, you had to be there for that story to be funny. :-D

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 19, 2004 12:53PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

I dunno. Checked the US$ lately? help

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: February 19, 2004 02:44PM

According to the Bank of Canada's website, today's exchange rate is exactly 75 cents. They've come a long way (or we have).

Post Edited (02-19-04 14:45)

Date: February 19, 2004 04:59PM

We've dropped. I've been planning a vacation to Europe in August. It's now US $1.25 to the Euro. Ouch.

JH

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2004 09:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

We've dropped. I've been planning a vacation to Europe in August. It's now US $1.25 to the Euro. Ouch.

JH
$1.27 now (and it broke $1.28 a couple of times last week). It's totally insane. I thought it was bad when the Euro was at $1.18 last summer. Now there are more Dollars to the Euro than Swiss Francs to the Dollar. help

Next stop: $2 British Pounds.

Date: February 20, 2004 07:57AM

[q]Next stop: $2 British Pounds.[/q]

Double Ouch.

Posted by: profudge (129.33.1.---)
Date: February 21, 2004 02:43PM

Too much time to kill - while sons do a 3 hour karate sword clinic.
So some updates | info found while cruising on web:

Topher Scott - has teammates committed to several colleges:

- Matt McIlvane, a center who is tied for second on team in points this year with Topher is going to OSU
- Goaltender Adam D'Alba is going to Brown
- Jeff Dunne, defense is going to Michigan State U.
- Kevin Roeder, defense is going to Miami in 2005
- Sean Hurley, is going to Brown

>> Current stats: <<
# PLAYER POS GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG SHOTS PCT
19 Scott, Topher F 45 14 22 36 +3 26 5 0 4 118 .119
27 Ray Sawada RW 54 20 32 52 93 12 1
21 Tyler Mugford LW 57 16 11 27 166 7 0
4 Doug Krantz 56 11 31 42 53 8 0

The BCHL has released their 2004 All-Star showcase selections and both Doug Krantz and Ray Sawada were additional selections to that team (i.e. not in first ten).

P.S. "BCHL players have been awarded 41 DIVISION 1 scholarships so far with most awarded for the upcoming 2004/05 US College season. "

P.P.S. Attendance is high for the Jr A Nanaimo team:
Total = 60,027 # of Games = 27 average/game = 2,223
(Not Bad)

and that's all folks

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2004 04:31PM

Nice job, Lou. Thanks.

An adjustment with fixed width:

# PLAYER       POS GP  G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG GWG SHOTS  PCT 

19 Scott, Topher F 45 14 22 36 +3 26 5 0 4 118 .119
27 Ray Sawada RW 54 20 32 52 93 12 1
21 Tyler Mugford LW 57 16 11 27 166 7 0
4 Doug Krantz D 56 11 31 42 53 8 0

Post Edited (02-21-04 16:38)

Posted by: JohnnieAg'99 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2004 03:35PM

Krantz actually committed to Harvard, then reneged / changed his mind.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 23, 2004 10:38AM

I apologize if this video interview with Ray Sawada (complete with Subway advertisement) has already been posted [bchl.bc.ca] . There is also an older one with Doug Krantz.

Post Edited (02-23-04 11:35)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2004 12:32PM

ursaminor wrote:

I apologize if this video interview with Ray Sawada (complete with Subway advertisement) has already been posted [bchl.bc.ca] .
Wait...this guy has a hockey-playing twin brother as well?? Hmmm...

Date: February 23, 2004 12:48PM

Rich H '96 wrote:

Wait...this guy has a hockey-playing twin brother as well?? Hmmm...

What do you think are the chances of continuing the fine Cornell tradition of recruiting power twins? ;-)

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2004 01:03PM

i think coach needs to get out the magic persuasion stick or something ... idea

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2004 01:32PM

... maybe a call from Mark & Matt or Cam & Chris ...:-)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 24, 2004 06:54PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:
power twins

Form of... an iceburg!

Form of... an gorilla!

:-P

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 24, 2004 08:30PM

er, Shape of a gorilla...

Date: February 24, 2004 09:11PM

Hey, it'd be great if Zan and Jayna would come to Cornell and play on the hockey team.

Zan: "Form of...a wall of ice!" *blocks the goal*
Jayna: "Shape of...Wayne Gretzky in his prime!" *solves Cornell's offensive problems all by herself*

One has to wonder if Mark and Matt or Cam and Chris have ever touched gloves and recited, "Wonder Twin powers activate!" :-D

Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: February 25, 2004 02:09PM

an interesting article about the cornell-nanaimo pipeline:

[www.bchockey.com]

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: February 25, 2004 02:48PM

I get a story about Vancouver hosting the 2006 World Junior Championship when I click on that link. What is the headline to the story on the Nanaimo-Cornell connection?

Date: February 25, 2004 03:00PM

sorry about that link, hit the dropdown to select the archives, go to "Zajac catches eye of scouts" and then it's the 2nd of the two articles on that page.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.co)
Date: March 01, 2004 02:58PM

When did you guys start offering scholarships? ;-) I wonder what they mean by "insurance goal"? I didn't know that anyone kept a separate listing.

I always thought an insurance goal was to save money on your policy. Maybe he plans to switch to Geico when he comes to Cornell. nut

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 13, 2004 05:20AM

Krantz finishes the regular season with 11-34-45 in 60 GP

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2004 01:07AM

The Nanaimo Clippers, including incoming freshmen Raymond Sawada and Tyler Mugford, won the 2003-04 BCHL Championship. In 20 playoff games, Sawada had 5 G, 14 A, and 18 PIM, with 4 of his goals coming on the power play; Mugford had 3 G, 2 A, and 25 PIM.

And, because I'm having fun browsing Nanaimo's webpage, current and former collegians who've won team awards in the past include:
Shane Hynes - Best Rookie, 01-02
Byron Bitz - Leading Scorer, 02-03; Best Rookie, 02-03
Bryce Cockburn (NMU) - Most Valuable Player, 98-99
Steve Kariya (Maine) - Most Valuable Player, 93-94; Leading Scorer, 94-95; Best Rookie, 94-95 (and no, I don't know how you can be Best Rookie the year *after* you're MVP)
Judd Medak (UMD) - Most Inspirational Player, 97-98
Dan Murphy (Clarkson) - Most Valuable Player, 92-93
Jason Tapp (BU) - Most Popular Player, 97-98
Tyson Teplitsky (UNH) - Best Defenseman, 00-01; Best Rookie, 00-01

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Matt Underhill has a brother? There's a Nick Underhill who pops up a few places in Nanaimo's awards list, but appears nowhere on HockeyDB. Just curious.

And, since I'm on a roll...

Doug Krantz played all 10 games in the BCHL playoffs for the Alberni Valley Bulldogs, registering 1 G, 1 A, and 8 PIM.

Despite the fact that the school's website claims "Notre Dame Is Sports", I can't find any individual information about Sasha Grenier-Pokuluk at all; the team was eliminated in the first round of the SJHL playoffs.

In 10 playoff games for the Niagara Falls Canucks, Matt McKeown had 2 G and 8 PIM. The team was swept in the finals by the Thorold Blackhawks after beating the St. Catharine's Falcons 4-2 in the semifinals. It must've been a disappointment for the Canucks, who lost only 3 games the entire regular season.

Topher Scott didn't register a point in 5 playoff games with the Chicago Steel, but was +3 with 4 PIM. The Steel lost their first playoff series, 3-2.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2004 09:07AM

The website for Sasha Grenier-Pokuluk's team is pretty weak -- interestingly though it's the same school that Kent Manderville attended (as well as Rod Brind’Amour, Curtis Joseph, Vincent LeCavalier, and Brad Richards).

Posted by: Jerseygirl (208.16.229.---)
Date: April 15, 2004 03:12PM

Yes, Nick is Matt's older brother.

Posted by: David Harding (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2004 09:59PM

[q] Steve Kariya (Maine) - Most Valuable Player, 93-94; Leading Scorer, 94-95; Best Rookie, 94-95 (and no, I don't know how you can be Best Rookie the year *after* you're MVP) [/q]

MVP for the year, then Best Rookie is strange. But remember that Ken Dryden was MVP of his first Stanley Cup playoffs, then rookie of the year the following year.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 15, 2004 11:32PM

Interesting... He seemed to have a lot of success at that level, any idea why he never played college or major junior?

Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: April 16, 2004 07:54AM

There have been quite few CU players from Notre Dame (the Wilcox, Sask. school), especially in the early to mid-90's. Off hand I can think of Matt Underhill, Dan Dufresne, Matt Cooney, Jason Vogel, Stephane Gauvin and Shaun Hanna. I'm sure there are more.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: April 16, 2004 03:17PM

[Q]jmh30 Wrote:

Interesting... He seemed to have a lot of success at that level, any idea why he never played college or major junior?[/q]Reading this in flat view, I first thought you were talking about Steve Kariya and wondered if you had gone batty.

Posted by: Mike Stephens (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: April 16, 2004 09:15PM

Could someone post information on Sasha Grenier-Pokulok ????

Posted by: hockeyguru (---.188-200-24.mc.videotron.ca)
Date: April 19, 2004 01:00PM

ANyone know where i can get extra information on these dudes ????

Date: April 19, 2004 01:28PM

saw this posted to chicagosteelhockey.com
--------

SCOTT NAMED CURT HAMMER RECEPIENT
The Chicago Steel Hockey Team would like to congratulate and announce that team captain Topher Scott was named the United States Hockey League's 2003-2004 Curt Hammer award recipient.

The Curt Hammer award is presented annually to the player that identifies himself as having pride, determination and outstanding performance skills. In addition, the recipient must exhibit gentlemanly play, both on and off the ice. The honoree must not only lead in the hockey rink, but must be a leader in the community. In the Steel's four-year existence, a member of the team has won the award three times.

The Buffalo Grove , IL native just finished his fourth season with the Steel. This past season he finished for second place for team scoring and sixteenth in the league with 21 goals, 52 points in 60 games. Scott also participated in the annual USHL All-Star/Prospects game in Lincoln , NE. In Scott's sparse spare time, he volunteers with local youth hockey organizations; helping with practice and teaching children and about the importance of education. He will be playing for Cornell University in the fall.

Posted by: ben03 (198.16.0.---)
Date: April 19, 2004 01:30PM

[Q]hockeyguru Wrote:

ANyone know where i can get extra information on these dudes ????[/q]
if you read though this thread i think you'll find all the info you could ever want to know and then some you probably didn't :-P ;-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 19, 2004 01:39PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

saw this posted to chicagosteelhockey.com
--------

SCOTT NAMED CURT HAMMER RECEPIENT
The Chicago Steel Hockey Team would like to congratulate and announce that team captain Topher Scott was named the United States Hockey League's 2003-2004 Curt Hammer award recipient.

The Curt Hammer award is presented annually to the player that identifies himself as having pride, determination and outstanding performance skills. In addition, the recipient must exhibit gentlemanly play, both on and off the ice. The honoree must not only lead in the hockey rink, but must be a leader in the community. In the Steel's four-year existence, a member of the team has won the award three times.

The Buffalo Grove , IL native just finished his fourth season with the Steel. This past season he finished for second place for team scoring and sixteenth in the league with 21 goals, 52 points in 60 games. Scott also participated in the annual USHL All-Star/Prospects game in Lincoln , NE. In Scott's sparse spare time, he volunteers with local youth hockey organizations; helping with practice and teaching children and about the importance of education. He will be playing for Cornell University in the fall. [/q]

The "Hammer" award, you'd think, would not from the sound be for gentlemanly play. But okay, bring him on.

Date: April 20, 2004 11:55AM

[Q]billhoward Wrote:

The "Hammer" award, you'd think, would not from the sound be for gentlemanly play. But okay, bring him on. [/q]

The non-gentlemanly play award would be the Dave "Hammer" Schultz award.

JH

Date: April 20, 2004 12:49PM

Topher Scott is racking up the awards. from the end of March:

"The Purple Heart Award is given to the player who best demonstrates perseverance and consistency. Players that play at top form healthy and injured. Two centers tied for the award; team Captain Topher Scott and Assistant Captain Matt McIlvane. Topher, from Buffalo Grove, IL, is in his fourth year with the Steel and will be playing for Cornell University this fall. "

"Most Valuable Player award went to team Captain Topher Scott for his vital role in this season’s success. Scott came back this season from sitting on the shelf last season due to major knee surgery, to be the team’s second leading scorer and the USHL’s seventeenth in league scoring. He also was only one of two Steel players represented at this year’s All-Star game. In addition, he played at top form every shift and was named USHL/Let’s Play Hockey Offensive Player of the Week in January."

So we've got two team MVPs and one conference rookie of the year coming in (Nanaimo hasn't yet awarded team awards, as far as I can tell..Maybe it's because their season is still going on. After winning the BCHL championship, they play the AJHL champion in a best of seven series for the Doyle Cup).

Posted by: ben03 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2004 03:46PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:
... So we've got two team MVPs and one conference rookie of the year coming in (Nanaimo hasn't yet awarded team awards, as far as I can tell..Maybe it's because their season is still going on. After winning the BCHL championship, they play the AJHL champion in a best of seven series for the Doyle Cup). [/q]
Gotta love the Cup name ... :-)

Posted by: tyrop9 (207.195.51.---)
Date: April 22, 2004 12:36PM

go down to the bottom of the page... rookie team...

[www.sjhl.sk.ca]

Date: April 22, 2004 12:50PM

from an article in the 'buffalo grove countryside' a local paper, some interesting quotes:

[archives.pioneerlocal.com]

----------
Nichol confirmed that some schools cooled their interest after Scott tore his ACL in the first game of the 2002-03 season.

"But Cornell made no bones about it; they really wanted him," Nichol noted. "They're getting a stud."
----------
"When Topher goes into the corner, he usually comes out with the puck," said teammate Chris Walsh. "He plays so big."
----------
"When the game is on the line, Topher wants the puck on his stick," Nichol said.

Frankly, Scott wouldn't have it any other way.

"I love being the guy in the clutch," Scott said. "It's a great feeling to win a game."
----------
"It's his vision of the ice," said teammate Matt McIlvane. "He sees what's gonna happen, and knows what's gonna happen, before the play even develops."

"He's two steps ahead of the play," Nichol agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2004 12:51PM by pfibiger.

Posted by: Greg (---.cust-rtr.swbell.net)
Date: April 22, 2004 03:24PM

Another Chicago Steel Prospect:

The Chicago Steel announced today the addition of forward Jay Sprague. Sprague, a 6-2, 215 lb Georgetown, Ontario native; is the Steel's only import player. Prior to joining the Steel, Jay played Jr. A for the Ontario Provincial League's Georgetown Raiders; where he scored 10 goals and 19 points in 16 games. Last season Jay played for Steel coach Wil Nichol at IMG Academy. Scouts enjoy his natural goal scoring ability for a player of his stature.

"I am very excited to be a part of the Chicago Steel, I never thought I would get an opportunity to play for this organization. Last season Coach Nichol took us to a game and I never once thought that I would be playing for the team," comments Sprague.

"Jay is a kid that played for me last year and I know his capabilities. He is a good fit for our locker room. Sprague brings offense, plays hard, and is a good fit with the Steel family. He is already attracting attention from Michigan State and Cornell," said Head Coach Wil Nichol.

[www.chicagosteelhockey.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2004 03:24PM by Greg.

Posted by: billhoward (---.ziffdavis.com)
Date: April 22, 2004 06:13PM

[Q]pfibiger Wrote:

from an article in the 'buffalo grove countryside' a local paper, some interesting quotes:

[archives.pioneerlocal.com]

----------
Nichol confirmed that some schools cooled their interest after Scott tore his ACL in the first game of the .....
----------
"It's his vision of the ice," said teammate Matt McIlvane. "He sees what's gonna happen, and knows what's gonna happen, before the play even develops."

"He's two steps ahead of the play," Nichol agreed. [/q]

Isn't that when you're whistled offsides?

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login