Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Prospect Updates

Posted by pfibiger 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Prospect Updates
Posted by: pfibiger (---.dfafunds.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 12:27PM

Topher Scott -- Chicago Steel
LPH/USHL Offensive Player of the Week (November 10, 2003)

Scott (Buffalo Grove, Ill.), Chicago's captain, earned Offensive Player of the Week honors after notching five points (4G, 1A) in three games and extending his goal- scoring streak to four games. Honorable mention goes to Sean Muncy (Cedar Rapids), Todd McIlrath (Danville), Jimmy Kilpatrick (Green Bay) and Joel Hanson (Waterloo).

So far in 13 games he's 7-6-13 with a +5

Raymond Sawada is currently 12-10-22 in 22 games with the Nanaimo Clippers. From what I've read about his style of play and his size, he sounds like another Byron Bitz.

Tyler Mugford has picked up the scoring pace a bit, after a rocky start. He's currently 5-6-11 in 22 games.

Matt McKeown is a tough guy to find stats for. As far as I know he's playing for the Niagara Falls Jr. B Canucks, and they have a really crap web page.

Re: Prospect Updates
Posted by: kaelistus (65.223.150.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 03:35PM

Interesting that all four current recruits are forwards. We lose 2 forwards, one defenseman, and one goalie to graduation next year.

Its early in the recruiting cycle, but I still find that strange.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 04:15PM

Not when one of the forwards we're losing is Ryan Vesce. That is, the more forwards we recruit, the better the chance is that one of them will become a similarly productive player, even if not right away.

Also, we have a pretty good group of defensemen right now; the departure of Wallace still leaves Cook, Downs, O'Byrne, Gleed, Glover...and Salmela. Those would be the starting 6 defensemen probably...all of whom will have good experience by next year. Then they'll add another couple later on to back them up on the bench (since I'm fairly certain Stachurski and Pajerski aren't enough :-) )

....anyway, I got off track I think, but I can see why getting forwards is important. Still, Vesce's points for this season will be difficult to completely replace.

But that's next year.........

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2003 04:52PM

Topher Scott is suppossed to be Vesce's replacement. Spoke with Vesce about it and he thinks this kid is the real deal. They are suppossed to be very similar players. Scott is smaller though at 5'5, which concerns me. Point a game numbers in the USHL is very impressive and harder to do than in the JR. A leagues of Canada.
Seems like Sawada will be another Bitz type. It will be extremely tough to play Cornell with the likes of power forwards Bitz, Sawada, and Hynes on the first couple lines.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 04:59PM

No goalies is also not a surprise, since McKee is a frosh and Chabot is a soph. While obviously it would be better to carry three goalies, it is an understandably lower priority than replacing Vesce's firepower.

Posted by: kaelistus (65.223.150.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 05:05PM

The recruiting site puts Topher at 5'6. I hope Topher is the real Deal. I wouldn't mind another 4 years of Vesce II. :-)

Did anyone else notice the massive amount of large brown recruits already? Six players over six feet tall! Wow!

Date: November 12, 2003 05:25PM

> large brown recruits.

I believe the politically correct term is Asian......

sorry; I couldn't help myself nut

(please...don't take offense...:)....)

Post Edited (11-12-03 17:31)

Scott
Date: November 12, 2003 05:25PM

Topher Scott is suppossed to be Vesce's replacement. Spoke with Vesce about it and he thinks this kid is the real deal despite his modest numbers from last year. They are suppossed to be very similar players. Scott is smaller though at 5'5, which concerns me. Point a game numbers in the USHL is very impressive and harder to do than in the JR. A leagues of Canada.

McKeown
Date: November 12, 2003 05:27PM

I remember reading here a few months ago that Mckeown is a very similar player to Hornby.

Date: November 12, 2003 05:29PM

I also noticed that a Kolarik is going to Michigan...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 05:37PM

Avash '05 wrote:

I also noticed that a Kolarik is going to Michigan...
Seems to me there was a Kolarik on the US-18 team. Probably the same guy.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 06:33PM

[Q]Still, Vesce's points for this season will be difficult to completely replace.
[/Q]It'll be difficult to replace him for one game.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: November 12, 2003 07:17PM

[Q]Matt McKeown is a tough guy to find stats for. As far as I know he's playing for the Niagara Falls Jr. B Canucks, and they have a really crap web page.[/Q]
Matt McKeown has two goals, three assists, and eight penalty minutes in twelve games for the Niagara Falls Canucks (GHJHL). Matt played for the Burlington Cougars (OPJHL) last season, and he was supposed to play for the Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) this year. Does anybody know why Matt is playing for his hometown team and not on Vancouver Island?

[Q]Topher Scott is suppossed to be Vesce's replacement. Spoke with Vesce about it and he thinks this kid is the real deal despite his modest numbers from last year.[/Q]
Would I be correct in supposing that Ryan Vesce hasn't seen Topher Scott play? Evaluating recruits is an inexact science, and those who do the recruiting have an incentive to overrate the players they have convinced to come on board.

Date: November 12, 2003 07:47PM

Craig Buckser '94 wrote:

[Q]Topher Scott is suppossed to be Vesce's replacement. Spoke with Vesce about it and he thinks this kid is the real deal despite his modest numbers from last year.[/Q]
Would I be correct in supposing that Ryan Vesce hasn't seen Topher Scott play?
Maybe they skated/practiced together on a recruiting trip?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2003 09:12PM

5' 6" is pretty dang small. But hey, how tall were the UVM elves? "You can't hit what you can't catch."

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 12, 2003 09:22PM

[Q]5' 6" is pretty dang small[/Q]
Especially since this usually means 5'6" with skates on, counting the kid's gelled up hairstyle.

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: November 12, 2003 09:44PM

Kyle Knopp was 5'6" (sans skates). He wasn't too bad.

Date: November 12, 2003 09:54PM

Fleury is 5'6.
St. Louis and Perrin are both listed at 5'9.

Posted by: Cabot (---.dhcp.hitchcock.org)
Date: November 13, 2003 10:39AM

I would eat a skate if St. Louis was 5'9" . There is no way he was an inch above 5'6" . He was a midget - course, he turned out pretty good - but I'll never forget the hit Oates laid him out with when they came in with the #1 team in the country and we beat them :-)

Cabot

Scott's Height
Posted by: Scott Goldsmith '96 (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2003 08:12PM

This guy says that Scott is 5'4". But it sounds like he can play. As long as he works hard to get strong and has some speed, he should be fine.

[www.chicagosteelhockey.com]

Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 15, 2003 01:56PM

Have any Lynah faithful gone this far?

[www.dailyherald.com]
Topher Scott is mentioned in this article, which is why I'm posting it here. He sounds like a bit of an instigator off the ice, too.

Re: Scott
Date: November 15, 2003 02:26PM

I don't think I've seen a link to this announcement of Scott's decision to attend Cornell.
[www.midwesthockeyonline.com]
A Google search on his name picks up many references to his performance in individual games around the Midwest.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2003 02:29PM

[Q]Cornell is a member of the ECAC, one of the NCAA strongest conferences.[/Q]
Wow. It's kinda weird to see that, given the beat-down the conference keeps getting on other fora.

Conference strength
Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 15, 2003 03:19PM

Well, the ECAC is one of the strongest conferences. It is (still) the fourth strongest hockey conference. Much stronger than the MIAC, NCHA, NESCAC and SUNYAC :-D

Date: November 15, 2003 04:13PM

[q][q]Cornell is a member of the ECAC, one of the NCAA strongest conferences.[/q]
Wow. It's kinda weird to see that, given the beat-down the conference keeps getting on other fora.[/q]
I enjoyed that line, too. But remember that this is a press release from the Chicago Steel. Their underlying message is, "Look what a great organization we are, getting our players onto strong college teams." And note the links to college hockey on their web page:

College Hockey
- GMCHC
- TSCHL
- GMHL
- CCHA

It is nice to hear see, regardless of the source and motivation.

Posted by: Bonzi (---.cogeco.net)
Date: November 16, 2003 06:29PM

apparently Mckeown was in Nanaimo at the beggining of the season awaiting his release from Burlington(OPJHL)but the asking price was absurd so a deal could not be made and he returned home.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 20, 2003 04:18AM

I've been thinking about recruiting due to playing too much NCAA Football 2004 (recruiting is by far the best part of the game) and there's definitely not enough information out there on the stories of how teams recruit, which teams recruits are choosing from, etc. Every once in a while I hear second hand stories about how Murray (or Lenny, etc.) chose us over some other big name schools, how Higgins almost came here. Does anyone know where to obtain this information? Does anyone have stories about our incoming class? I know coach can't comment on recruits until a certain date but I was still surprised how little hype was done last year with our recruiting class outside of eLynah and USCHO...though I'm not sure where I'd expect to see it. Any thoughts or am I alone on this one?

I'm getting delirious...I need to go to sleep... ;-)

Post Edited (11-20-03 04:20)

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: December 30, 2003 04:55PM

(1) Is it unusual at all for recruiting to be completed by November?

(2) Is it unusual at all to have a recruiting class of 4? Understood, we have 4 seniors. Is there ever an effort to rebalance class sizes?

Players Entering in September 2004
Name Pos Ht Wt Junior Team

Matt McKeown F 5' 11" 190 Burlington (OPJHL)
Tyler Mugford F 6' 1" 195 Nanaimo (BCHL)
Ray Sawada F 6' 3" 190 Nanaimo (BCHL)
Topher Scott F 5' 6" 155 Chicago (USHL)

Date: December 30, 2003 05:34PM

There will be at least one more recruit (a goaltender).

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: December 30, 2003 05:57PM

I'm surprised that we're not going to get one more defender...that's putting a lot of confidence in Samela, who is improving, and Stachurski, who has yet to play, as the sixth and seventh D men next year.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.new-york-08rh16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 05:57PM

[Q](1) Is it unusual at all for recruiting to be completed by November?[/Q]Well, if applications are still due by Jan 1 (are they?) then recruiting has to be finished sufficiently before the end of the year that the kids can formally apply. A state school with rolling admissions can afford to keep recruiting into the spring.

[Q](2) Is it unusual at all to have a recruiting class of 4? Understood, we have 4 seniors. Is there ever an effort to rebalance class sizes?[/Q]I'd have to go back and look, but this doesn't seem too strange to me. I think Schafer has tended to have a recruiting class that is just a little larger than the graduating class.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.new-york-08rh16rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 06:01PM

[Q]that's putting a lot of confidence in ... Stachurski,[/Q]Especially if he recently quit the team, as calgARI '07 recently reported in the Notre Game game thread (too lazy to link it).

Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2003 06:01PM

I was just about to say the same thing, Adam. One would think we'd pick up at least one defenseman, to compensate for Wallace's graduation. I'd feel much better if we had eight guys competing for playing time instead of seven.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.oracorp.com)
Date: December 30, 2003 06:20PM

Ken Pavelle '92 wrote:

(1) Is it unusual at all for recruiting to be completed by November?

Cornell has had guys sign in January, February, or even later. Louis Chabot signed in May. David McKee, of course, signed in July. I strongly suspect Coach Schafer and his staff are not done.

(2) Is it unusual at all to have a recruiting class of 4? Understood, we have 4 seniors. Is there ever an effort to rebalance class sizes?

Pre-Schafer, Cornell once had a recruiting class of 3 (with 2 seniors leaving). Under Schafer, however, we've never had a class smaller than 7. Keep in mind that the current 4 seniors are what's left of a class of 7 plus one transfer.

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.new-york-07rh15rt.ny.dial-access.att.net)
Date: December 31, 2003 01:19AM

[Q]Cornell has had guys sign in January, February, or even later. Louis Chabot signed in May. David McKee, of course, signed in July. I strongly suspect Coach Schafer and his staff are not done.[/Q]McKee presumably applied to Cornell months before and had been planning to defer admission. He only moved up his enrollment date in July. Just trying to show that my earlier answer mentioning application dates wasn't totally full of it. :-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (64.49.66.---)
Date: January 02, 2004 09:21AM

1/1/04 scoring updates on the class of 2008:

Topher Scott, Chicago (USHL) 12-10-22 in 28 GP
Tyler Mugford, Nanaimo (BCHL) 9-7-16 in 38 GP
Ray Sawada, Nanaimo (BCHL) 16-21-37 in 38 GP
Matt McKeown, Niagara Falls (GHJHL) 6-5-11 in 26 GP

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 12:54PM

Ken Pavelle '92 wrote:
Tyler Mugford F 6' 1" 195 Nanaimo (BCHL)
Ray Sawada F 6' 3" 190 Nanaimo (BCHL)
Are we allowed to use the word "pipeline" yet? :-D

Date: January 02, 2004 01:03PM

Was Nanaimo the team that McKee was going to play for this season? If so, does anyone know if we sent him to them or if they sent him to us (even though he never actually played for them)? Although Nanaimo may not like it, I think it is fair to classify them as a part of the Big Red farm system--.but a lot of Nanaimo players go the NCAA root and not necessarily the Cornell root.

Date: January 02, 2004 02:14PM

We root. They route.

Looking back, I see... that I don't have the records to check who came from Nanaimo, but I swear we've had at least a half dozen going back the last 4-5 years.

Those 2
Hynes
LeNeveu
Hornby

Post Edited (01-02-04 14:17)

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dialup.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 02:19PM

Greg Hornby, David LeNeveu, Shane Hynes, Byron Bitz, Ryan O'Byrne, Raymond Sawada, and Tyler Mugford are our seven players recruited from Nanaimo. To answer Adam Brown's question, David McKee would have played for the Clippers this year if LeNeveu didn't sign a contract with the Coyotes.

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: January 02, 2004 02:20PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:
We root. They route.

Looking back, I see... that I don't have the records to check who cam from Nanaimo, but I swear we've had at least a half dozen going back the last 4-5 years.

Cam came from Sarnia. ( [db.elynah.com] )

Just routing out errors where possible ;)

EDIT: Please note that Greg corrected his spelling between his original post and my snide remark. But I just couldn't resist, not that I am not guilty of the same charge.

Post Edited (01-02-04 14:24)

Date: January 02, 2004 02:26PM

There was also talk here this summer that Matt McKeown was headed to Nanaimo before some trade happened, and he left that league to play for his hometown team (Niagara Falls) in a different league. Since he had been recruited well before that happened, it does seem like the street is two-ways and it could be that Cornell recruiters "sent" McKee to Nanaimo, much like McKeown.

Date: January 02, 2004 02:30PM

laugh Very good catch.

Date: January 02, 2004 02:31PM

Just an opportune one, Greg... no offense intended. :-}

Date: January 02, 2004 03:15PM

Just type carefully. ;-)

(This from someone who transposes every eleventh wrod.)

Date: January 02, 2004 05:33PM

interesting article on Ray Sawada:

[www.bchl.bc.ca]

Excerpts from the article:

His thunderous hits not only crunch the opposition into the boards, but have the fans and his own teammates cringing as well. "Very few games go by that a member of the opposition doesn't feel Ray's punishment," says Nanaimo coach Bill Bestwick. "I'm sure the fans can feel them. I know we feel them on the bench.""

"When Ray is flying around and playing with a mission, he is one of the most effective players in the league whether he is scoring goals or not," says Bestwick. "He loves the game, competes hard every night, keeps the other teams honest and is a player those teams fear."

But crunching hits is not his entire game, as he has produced 15 goals and 31 points in th first half of the season. He can usually be found right in front of the net, creating havoc, taking the slash, the cross check and the punch to screen the goaltender and pounce on a loose puck. "I don't mind a couple of bruises here and there as long as the final product is someone getting a goal," he says. "I'm not a natural goal scorer. I have to work pretty hard for each and every goal."

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 02, 2004 06:37PM

Sounds like Sawada can 'replace' both Vesce and Hornby at the same time. :-D

Posted by: Anna '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 07:35PM

Does anyone know if the Nanaimo coach Bill Bestwick is related (perhaps the father of) Brooke Bestwick '03, a four-year defenseman on the women's hockey team, who is also from Nanaimo?

Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 10:21PM

In the photo, his size is impressive!

Posted by: Steve LeNeveu (---.monarch.net)
Date: January 03, 2004 12:38AM

Brooke Bestwick is indeed Bill's daughter.

Date: January 05, 2004 02:20PM

[Q] But crunching hits is not his entire game, as he has produced 15 goals and 31 points in th first half of the season. He can usually be found right in front of the net, creating havoc, taking the slash, the cross check and the punch to screen the goaltender and pounce on a loose puck. "I don't mind a couple of bruises here and there as long as the final product is someone getting a goal," he says. "I'm not a natural goal scorer. I have to work pretty hard for each and every goal."[/Q]

As soon as I read that, my first thought was "Matt Cooney" (34 points, 104 PIM, in 34 games in '95-'96 for you younger folks.) BTW, I'm having trouble remembering who the 3rd member of the Chartrand-Cooney line was that year. Drouin?

Post Edited (01-05-04 14:20)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 05, 2004 07:14PM

Whoa. Knopp had 33 pts as a freshman that year?

Date: January 06, 2004 09:46AM

Knopp had 30 (still very impressive): [members.cox.net]

He was ECAC ROTY.

Posted by: French Rage (---.northgrum.com)
Date: January 06, 2004 10:00AM

We had a guy named Tymchyshyn??? What were the cheers for him?

Date: January 06, 2004 12:03PM

Rich H '96 wrote:
As soon as I read that, my first thought was "Matt Cooney" (34 points, 104 PIM, in 34 games in '95-'96 for you younger folks.) BTW, I'm having trouble remembering who the 3rd member of the Chartrand-Cooney line was that year. Drouin?

It wasn't Drouin. I thought it was Jamie Papp, but the few complete box scores I've found for that season list Mark Scollan with Chartrand and Cooney.

Date: January 06, 2004 12:43PM

French Rage wrote:

He came to Cornell after the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) dropped their hockey program. There weren't any specific cheers for him except the name-repeating after goals that started with Mike Sancimino that still happens today. One or two opposing crowds might have come up with "buy a vowel" or something similar. At least we could pronounce it correctly, unlike several radio and TV broadcasters. The number of ways Bob Norton butchered it are too numerous to count.

Correct: "Tim-SHISH-shin"

Incorrect, but heard: "TIM-ish-shin" "Tim-ISH-shine" "TIME-ish-in" etc.

Date: January 06, 2004 01:48PM

Rich H '96 wrote:
He came to Cornell after the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) dropped their hockey program. There weren't any specific cheers for him except the name-repeating after goals that started with Mike Sancimino that still happens today. One or two opposing crowds might have come up with "buy a vowel" or something similar. At least we could pronounce it correctly, unlike several radio and TV broadcasters. The number of ways Bob Norton butchered it are too numerous to count.

Correct: "Tim-SHISH-shin"

Incorrect, but heard: "TIM-ish-shin" "Tim-ISH-shine" "TIME-ish-in" etc.

I thought the various broadcasters deserved a break on Darren's name, at least early on, since Cornell's own media guide -- which offered pronunciation hints for some names (Auger: oh-ZHAY, for example) -- thoroughly butchered his name as well his first year, claiming that the proper way to say it was something like "TIM-a-chin".

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2004 03:30PM

Just curious, but is there a media guide online for the hockey team this year?

I know that there is a 2003-04 "outlook", but I was just wondering if there was something else. (I noticed there is a media guide online for the 2001-02 season, but that was the only one I could find.)

Date: January 06, 2004 03:42PM

I noticed they have been putting up pdf of game notes. Maybe they've put the pdf of the media guide someplace.

Date: January 06, 2004 04:16PM

Rich H '96 wrote:

French Rage wrote:

He came to Cornell after the University of Illinois-Chicago (UIC) dropped their hockey program.
In light of USCHO's scoop, is there anyone worth Tymchyshyning from the Findlay roster?

Post Edited (01-06-04 16:16)

Date: January 06, 2004 04:43PM

At least one castaway from UIC made a big splash with Clarkson. Morin, maybe?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2004 09:25PM

At least as far as I can tell from HockeyDB, nobody from UIC transferred to Clarkson. *shrug*

Posted by: adamw (---.benslm01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2004 12:20AM

Claude Morin transferred from Kent. Very good player.

Date: January 07, 2004 01:07PM

from here:

[www.ushr.com]

"6'3", 200 lb. Jon Marshall, an '86 from the Boston Junior Bruins, is big and every now and then does something to make you take note. However, he needs to produce offense more consistently. Experience and hard work could get him there. Marshall is a top student and Harvard and Cornell are both reportedly interested."

that's from USHR news from August (for more recent archives, you have to pay). Anyone know if there's further news about this kid, or any other Cornell-related info in the more recent news?

Date: January 07, 2004 03:56PM

Philip Fibiger '01 wrote:

Marshall is a top student and Harvard and Cornell are both reportedly interested."
I hope he's reading the Mazz threads on USCHO.B-]

Posted by: dss28 (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2004 12:03AM

Maybe he's got jam.

Date: January 08, 2004 10:14AM

> "6'3", 200 lb. Jon Marshall

Now, that's a chief justice.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: January 08, 2004 01:57PM

I hope he's watching or at the game Friday and gets a sense of Lynah East.

Date: January 13, 2004 11:31AM

A piece about Sawada and Mugford heading to Cornell from Nanaimo:

[www.nanaimoclippers.com]

Also this was posted to the BCHL message board. Apparently Sawada is attracting a lot of attention from NHL scouts (he was listed on the central scouting "players to watch" but there are no BCHL players in the "preliminary rankings";).

"I was at the Eagles/Clippers game on Saturday night and there had to be close to 50 scouts in the stands. I spoke to one and asked him who he was looking at and he said SAWADA from Nanaimo. I watched him that night and he has nice hands, size and hits like a Mack Truck."

Posted by: Neil Shapiro (20.7.100.---)
Date: January 14, 2004 11:21AM

Is anyone else annoyed when they read an article that mentions "Hockey Scholarships" for Ivy students?

I have gotten into some pretty serious discussions with people who have insisted to me that so-and-so got an athletic scholarship to an Ivy school.

Date: January 14, 2004 11:38AM

Neil Shapiro wrote:

Is anyone else annoyed when they read an article that mentions "Hockey Scholarships" for Ivy students?
Yep.:-(

Posted by: melissa '01 (---.ip.tvc-ip.com)
Date: January 14, 2004 12:17PM

It doesn't bother me in the least. Canada doesn't have "need based financial aid". Any money provided toward university is considered a "scholarship". Because of the difference (albeit a much smaller difference than 1 yr ago) in currency, 99/100 Canadians attending Cornell get a nice financial aid package or, in Canadian terms, a scholarship.

Date: January 14, 2004 12:19PM

melissa '01 wrote:

It doesn't bother me in the least. Canada doesn't have "need based financial aid". Any money provided toward university is considered a "scholarship". Because of the difference (albeit a much smaller difference than 1 yr ago) in currency, 99/100 Canadians attending Cornell get a nice financial aid package or, in Canadian terms, a scholarship.
That is all likely true, but it's not a "hockey" scholarship. It's need-based financial aid.

Date: January 14, 2004 12:50PM

But it's a mistake that is made again and again in Canadian articles about Cornell prospects. Especially out in BC, nobody realizes that the Ivies do not have athletic scholarships (or have them but play semantic games with them, or whatever...)

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2004 01:09PM

It doesn't really annoy me either.

It's like when people use "irregardless." Sure, the word doesn't truly exist, and it happens too much, but it's not something I'm going to get flustered over.

(But ending a sentence with a prepositio...that annoys me.)

Posted by: melissa '01 (---.ip.tvc-ip.com)
Date: January 14, 2004 01:14PM

Greg and Al, you're totally right - but the truth of the matter is no one in Canada realizes the distinction. Frankly, they really don't care. All that matters is that a specific Canadian hockey player "X" is going to an Ivy to play hockey and the vast chunk of his expenses are paid for. Whatever the technical term and the logic behind the aid, they don't care. They'll simply call it a hockey scholarship (as it is money toward study while playing hockey) and move on. Just the way it is and I highly doubt it'll ever change.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: January 14, 2004 01:16PM

As Melissa states, in Canada the term "scholarship" is used for financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Thus, to say they've gotten scholarships to Cornell and will play hockey there is not a mistake by that definition, although it would still be incorrect to say that they've gotten "hockey scholarships." I think what bothers some of us also is that "hockey scholarship" denotes a full ride, and in many cases it may be less than that. Nevertheless, when it comes from a Canadian source, it's a small semantic difference based on the use of the word "scholarship" which we shouldn't let bother us.

Date: January 14, 2004 01:47PM

I think, Jeff, the objection stated by Neil and me is not to the word "scholarship" but to the phrase "hockey scholarship." I had a scholarship (because I needed one), and surely can't object to anyone else (who needs one) getting the same.

The phrase "hockey scholarship," in my view, lowers us to...well..."them."

Post Edited (01-14-04 13:48)

Posted by: JS '93 (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2004 10:35PM

Just noticed that we have recruited yet another player from the BCHL--Doug Krantz-LD-from the Alberni Valley Bulldogs (Nanaimo must have run out of players for this year ;-) ). He looks like a solid defenseman and a bit of a late bloomer.

Pos No Player Name Shoots Height Weight DOB Hometown
LD 4 Doug Krantz Left 6' 3 195 9/22/1983 Kimberley, BC

# PLAYER NAME BY P GP G A PTS P/G PPG SHG PIM
4 Doug Krantz '83 D 53 11 31 42 0.8 8 0 49

Profile Comments:
Doug has been the most consistent D-man for the Bulldogs so far this season. His decisions with and without the puck have improved from last season, along with his ability to jump into the rush and create opportunities for the forwards. Doug has earned assistant captain honors this season.

From Press Release:

Port Alberni, BC- The Alberni Valley Bulldogs are proud to announce that current D-man Doug Krantz has accepted a scholarship with the University of Cornell for next season. [/B]Doug had the option to attend Cornell or Harvard. [/B]
---------------------------
I think right there he has already proven that he makes very sound decisions. Welcome aboard, Doug.

Just make sure your letter says Cornell University. Accept no imitators. :-)

Video profile below:

[www.albernivalleybulldogs.ca]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2004 12:10AM

VERY good numbers for a defenseman in the BCHL. He clearly has very good size. I think one of the things this team is lacking this year after losing McRae and Murray is a big time all around defenseman. Cook has good offensive upside but is more of a secondary offensive defenseman. I'm hoping this guy is a primay.

Date: February 14, 2004 12:21AM

I just hope he doesn't spend too much time in the bars his freshman year...

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 15, 2004 01:08AM

I was poking through the Alberni Bulldogs site, and found this photo:

which appears to be incoming d-man Doug Krantz putting a hit on incoming forward Tyler Mugford :) during an Alberni-Nanaimo game.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2004 04:42PM

Mugford has really struggled this year average less than half a point per game. I wonder if he'll defer a year. Maybe a good idea considering only two forwards graduating with three others (besides Mugford) coming in.

Date: February 15, 2004 09:24PM

[q]Doug had the option to attend Cornell or Harvard. [/q]

So much so that Heisenberg had Krantz going to Harvard until a couple of days ago.

The better team won. :-D

Date: February 16, 2004 01:09AM

I wonder if he made a visit to either of the Cornell/Harvard games this year.....

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 18, 2004 08:54AM

Heisenberg has listed a new Cornell recruit

[q]Sasha Grenier-Pokuluk-LD (2/16/04) Notre Dame (SJHL) 6'5 220 5-25-86 2003 Quebec U-17 team [/q] The size certainly sounds Cornell, but the hypenated name sounds Princeton. :-)

Edit: Heisenberg seems to have misspelled the name -- not hard to do.

From the SJHL site.

[q]Sasha Grenier-Pokulok, Notre Dame Hounds

The Notre Dame Hounds are very proud to announce that Sasha Grenier-Pokulok has accepted a full scholarship to Cornell University. Sasha is a 6'5, 220 lb defenceman from Vaudrew, Quebec. This 17 year old has accumulated 6 goals and 10 assists for 16 points and 30 penalty minutes in 33 games this season. He has 2 power play goals and 1 insurance goal.[/q]
When did you guys start offering scholarships? ;-) I wonder what they mean by "insurance goal"? I didn't know that anyone kept a separate listing.

Post Edited (02-18-04 09:01)

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 18, 2004 09:11AM

Perhaps an insurance goal is an empty-netter? Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to make special note of that.

A hyphenated name! Damn, that means I'm going to have to cut down on the anti-hyphen cheers next year. ;-)

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 18, 2004 09:31AM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

Perhaps an insurance goal is an empty-netter? Of course, I don't know why anyone would want to make special note of that.
Those were my thoughts also. He has scored six goals of which two were on the powerplay. It's hard to undestand why anyone would mention any other goals as being special unless they were shorthanded, game-winning, or penalty shots.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2004 09:31AM

6'5" 220 at the age of 17?

Holy crap.

Posted by: KenP (---.abrfc.noaa.gov)
Date: February 18, 2004 09:52AM

I always heard "insurance goal" as a goal that pads your lead. ENGs count, but so does a goal at the end of the 2nd that gives you a 2-goal lead.

Date: February 18, 2004 10:48AM

An insurance run is usual the run that extends a lead from 1 to 2. Maybe somebody started tracking goals that give teams a 2 goal lead. I mean -- what the hell, it makes a lot more sense in hockey, when you can't give up multiple points on one score.

Geiger counter
Date: February 18, 2004 11:01AM

Based on google, the correct spelling appears to be: Sasha Grenier-Pokulok.

There is a picture of him about half down this page:

[jeuxcanada.qc.ca]'

Man, he's cute; he's going to have a busy four years.

SG-P was taken in the 4th round of the QMJHL 2002 entry draft by Shawinigan (obviously he did not elect to go the junior A route).

He was listed as 6-3 182 on 1/27/03, so he'll be 7'1", 380 lbs as a senior.

Interestingly, a teammate of SG-P is named Paul Geiger. There was a Paul Geiger who played for Cornell from 1980-83. The age is right.

Post Edited (02-18-04 11:37)

Date: February 18, 2004 11:33AM

I am pretty sure this interpretation is correct. The insurance goal is the next one after the GWG.

Bizarre bio moment
Posted by: Hillel J. Hoffmann '85 (---.ngs.org)
Date: February 18, 2004 11:44AM

My favorite part of Grenier-Pokulok's bio was the following:

Catégorie: Masculin

Date: February 18, 2004 05:50PM

any chance we could get him to play tight end for the football team too?? :-P

Date: February 18, 2004 07:29PM

Adam Brown wrote:

any chance we could get him to play tight end for the football team too?? :-P

Only if he'd gone to UVM.

pause

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Date: February 18, 2004 09:04PM

zinger! :-}

Re: Bizarre bio moment
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 08:15AM

The website lists him as 190 cm, 91 kg. By my calcs, that's only 6'3", 200 lbs.

A growing boy! But still a Schafer-size player.

JH

Date: February 19, 2004 09:05AM

Those are his Canadian measurements. As soon as he crosses the border...

Post Edited (02-19-04 09:05)

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 19, 2004 11:46AM

6'5" 220 with pads and skates on...

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login