Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game DQ for Palahicky

Posted by Jordan 04 
Game DQ for Palahicky
Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:29PM

That carries a suspension over to Friday, correct?

I don't know about a game DQ for that, but I think Kotyra did a pretty poor job overall tonight. 2 goal differential was on him tonight (blowing the whistle extremely early in the first when Walsh let up a rebound, and a ticky-tack hooking call).

After the 10 minute mark of the second, it started to get kinda rough out there and Kotyra's whistle was nowhere to be seen. It seemed clear to me that he wasn't going to control the game for the 2nd half, and it would lead to something.

Re: Game DQ for Palahicky
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:37PM

Totally agree. He lost control. It's not that it was onesided, as there were calls that should have gone against us, but unfortunately his loss of control and Clarksons led to the fight.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 02:09AM

A little surprising though that you'd toss 3 guys with 4 seconds to go, without much in the way of preamble. Cornell is not terribly hurt, but Clarkson may be, and I don't think anything short of a true brawl justifies that. It isn't as if he needed to get the guys off the ice to prevent a recurrence.

Posted by: ugarte (---.c3-0.129-ubr1.lnh-129.md.cable.rcn.)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:44AM

I haven't seen a description of what happened at the game (though I am smart enough to figure out that there was a fight). What were the circumstances before the rumble at the end of the game? help

What happened at the end of the game?
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:50AM

The accounts on the Cornell and Clarkson radio broadcasts seem to have differed somewhat. Age, will the video of this be on the web soon? (I seem to recall some mention of archived webcam streams, but can't seem to find them.)

One thing that was apparently mentioned on the Clarkson broadcast but not ours was someone in the crowd throwing a bottle (plastic, I assume) at someone Clarkson-related after the game. Did anyone see this, or was this actually a garbled report of the incident that drew the between-periods warning?

Re: What happened at the end of the game?
Posted by: peterg (---.danicacomputing.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:20AM

I did not see how it got on the ice, but an empty plastic water bottle was brought over to the penalty box just before the drop with 2.9 seconds left.

Posted by: tml5 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 12:04PM

Morris (I think it was Morris) went over to talk to Kotyra after the game, and a plastic watter bottle sailed over the glass and landed at his feet. Classless buffoonery on the part of one individual, I'd say.

I think the game DQs were based on a strict interpretation of the rules. Three players clearly threw punches, all three (not necessarily the *same* three, I guess - I didn't catch the numbers on the guys that threw the punches) got tossed. Yes, it's harsh, but my understanding of the NCAA rules is that punching=fighting=game DQ. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I'm not sure what caused the fight, but the game was getting progressively rougher as the third period went on. Both teams took some big hits, many of which were, ahem, borderline. As I mentioned on another thread, Cook and O'Flaherty were chopping at each other while the officials were watching the action in the corner, and then for some reason (I was watching Cook and O'Flaherty at the time, so I didn't see the play) Poapst and Palahicky (or two guys who got mistaken for Poapst and Palahicky) started throwing punches. Cook stayed more or less out of it, but O'Flaherty went over and apparently threw a punch.

Clarkson has had something of a history of bad late game behavior, at least for this year. My guess is that the Knights are very emotional, and sometimes they just cross the line, which occasionally results in player suspensions. If Cornell started it, Poapst shouldn't have finished it with 4 seconds left in the game, and O'Flaherty had no business joining in. It just hurts the team down the stretch. The Knights will sorely miss those two next Friday, and it could cost them second place. More to the point - if Clarkson loses a couple and fails to finish as a TUC (I think the Knights are currently .500) then it'll be bad for the Big Red.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 12:14PM

Also, Flaherty will be out all of next weekend. He had a previous game DQ, so he'll be suspended for 2 games. It'll hurt them to lose their two top scorers.

Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 12:20PM

It was defiantly started by Palahicky. . .the puck was jammed on the boards and Shane just skated around the scrum up to one of their guys and jacked him right in the mask with a couple of hard rights. . .knocked him right on his butt!!!(Defiantly a nice right jab! :-) ) Then as usual, teammates pair off and things go from there. The calls were all made by the book, punches = Game DQ's, that's that. As for getting those players off the ice into the locker rooms. . .best thing Kotyra did all night (the only thing he did all night). I was more upset when the puck was shot at Schafer with approx six seconds left. That's as classless as the bottle thrown at Morris, if not more. A ten minute misconduct is surely not enough. . .that's just plain stupid and extremely disrespectful. I hope he got his rocks off his large brain-fart in his little brain!!!;-)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 02:28PM

In the WHL, the rule is one game more for each DQ -- hence, 1 game for DQ#1, 2 games after DQ#2, etc... I have seen at least one post where someone thought it was 1+2=3 games for DQ#2, 1+2+3=6 games for DQ#3, etc.

Which is it?

DQ counts
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 02:37PM

I'm pretty sure the NC$$ rule agrees with the WHL: 1 for #1, 2 for #2...

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:02PM

Fights happen every once in a while, and although I'd rather they don't it isn't that big of a deal..

But the puck launching really annoyed me. I can't believe the Ref didn't give him a game DQ for that. Heck, had he connected there could have easily been a court case out of it.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:40PM

well CU could always send the tape into the ncaa. that might get some punishment dealt out for the puck into the bench ordeal. :-(

Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:44PM

Or we could send the one and only in the whole NCAA Hockeycam stream.:-D

Date: February 24, 2002 07:08PM

We would probably send it to the ECAC; that's what Colgate did about Poapst's elbow the night before.

Re: DQ counts
Date: February 24, 2002 07:10PM

I think the confusion is because a three-game suspension is what results when a player gets two DQs in the same game (cf. Leeor Shtrom). It could also happen to Poapst if the ECAC decides to issue him one based on the Colgate game tapes.

Re: DQ counts
Date: February 24, 2002 07:37PM

Poapst single handedly lost the Clarkson @ RIP game by taking a stupid flagrant penalty in plane site of everyone in the field house.

Re: Poapst's penalty at RPI
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 26, 2002 02:26PM

RIP did not score on the resulting power play. Anyway you look at it, blowing a 3 goal lead with 13 mins to go in the third took more than one player's doing!

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 26, 2002 02:36PM

Right.

RPI scored the winning goal in OT 1.2 seconds after Poapst's dumb, flagrant penalty--taken in the last minute of a tied game--expired. Surely the penalty had no effect on the score. In 1.2 seconds any of the speedy Clarkson players could move from the penalty box to his proper position on the ice--unless, of course, he was clutched and grabbed on the way by the mean old opposition.

Posted by: Adam 04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2002 03:07PM

:-)

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: February 26, 2002 03:58PM

Oh, OK, Rich. You win. The whole Clarkson team got together to help Poapst blow the RPI game. B-]

Date: February 26, 2002 05:32PM

Rich,

It's assinine comments like yours that make it so much fun to have you around. Al is of course correct.

I guess that being there in person with RPI rose colored glasses makes that 1.2 seconds oh so important. Or maybe you missed the game? nut

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login