Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CHAMPIONS! (PART 2)

Posted by Greg Berge 
CHAMPIONS! (PART 2)
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 09:34PM

What's the big intrigue..?

Dartmouth loses, and Cornell clinches at least a share of the Ivy title. If Harvard sweeps Princeton and Yale, they will earn a tie of the title.

Re: CHAMPIONS! (PART 2)
Posted by: Dart~Ben (---.dartmouth.edu)
Date: February 23, 2002 09:51PM

I can't begin how to describe this weekend other than by stating the obvious, Dartmouth choked. As good as they played last weekend, they played that poorly this weekend. I'm gonna sleep on it before I comment too much, but here's a list of things that sucked:
Dartmouth's D - who looked a step slow all night
Dartmouth's O - couldn't finish anything, and hitting 3 or 4 posts didn't help either.
Dartmouth's Goaltending - Boucher looked like he was playing UVM - Yale only had one pretty goal, the other 3 were stoppable.
The ref - Torgerson - who either I misjudged the last times he was up here reffing or he had a really bad night. He had Dartmouth's number all night, and called Dartmouth for 4 penalties in a row, including 1 5v3, before we were 15 minutes into the game. Either Yale was a much better team at diving than Dartmouth, or Torgerson seemed to have selective vision.

Posted by: min '97 (---.res.gatech.edu)
Date: February 23, 2002 09:57PM

just a quick question..
who is the the gentleman in black coat that the players hug near the east end of the rink?

Ivy
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.utb.edu)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:10PM

Cornell finished the Ivy season 6-3-1, but more remarkably, the Big Red's record against the rest of the ECAC is 9-0-1 (it was perfect before last night's tie with SLU).

Ivy teams currently occupy (after tiebreakers) 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 11th places. So much for the Ivies dragging down the rest of the ECAC.

Re: Ivy
Posted by: littleredfan (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:21PM

i *think* it is prof. maas (psych 101)...he's the hockey team faculty advisor.....i liked when krzystof (sp?) sprayed him with ice....it was really funny :-)

Posted by: Chris '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:25PM

The guy is definitely not Professor Maas. He's somebody else, but I don't know who.

Posted by: mha (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:07PM

It's Mike Teeter, a LONG-time part of the Cornell hockey program. He's been one of the goal judges for ages.

Date: February 23, 2002 11:17PM

thanks...

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:31PM

If you watch at away games, including ECAC at LP, You will see him at the door to the ice as the players come out. He's always there slapping each guy as he jumps onto the ice. As Mark mentioned, he's been a goal judge at home games as far back as I can remember. However, I have to say I didn't pay attention to those things when I was a student. So I don't know when he started.

Posted by: peterg@bgdmlaw.com (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 01:18AM

Mike Teeter will celebrate his 40th (yes, 40th) year working with the Big Red hockey program next year. Mike is the goal judge at the west end of Lynah, signals the guys out to the ice before and during games, is the equipment manager on the road and one great, great Big Red fan. Always positive, and always there for the players. He's a special part of the program and you saw what he means to the players tonight (thank goodness Kris has good brakes!).

Posted by: Graham '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:36AM

I'm fairly certain I've seen him in a red windsuit on the bench before, although I couldn't tell you when that was...

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 07:18AM

At every away game, if I'm not mistaken.

Re: Ivy
Posted by: marty'74 (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:41AM

The famous "I didn't mean it B-] when I touched the TA" Prof Maas?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dial.spiritone.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 02:25PM

> The famous "I didn't mean it when I touched the TA" Prof Maas?

No, the famous "every other person associated with him went out of their way to vindicate him, and it was eventually settled that these were false accusations brought on by malicious intent" Prof. Maas.

Ya gotta love it when just an accusation ruins a reputation. rolleyes

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 08:58PM

At every away game, if I'm not mistaken.
No, you're not mistaken. That's where he is.

"I didn't mean it when I touched the TA"

"every other person associated with him went out of their way to vindicate him, and it was eventually settled that these were false accusations brought on by malicious intent"

I don't know where you guys get your quotes, or are they your own with quotes for effect. Everything I've read about the incidents suggest some truth, but no proof. So where are we? Probably left well enough alone, unless someone has better information.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:11PM

Not to question his integrity at ALL (not Maas', Teeter's - I'm not gonna get into the other one), but just from a general ECAC kinda-perspective, isn't it not a good idea to have people associated with the program be goal judges. Not that 99.9% of people couldn't be totally unbiased 99.9% of the time, but it just seems as if they're taking a risk somewhere in there.

Hey, can I ref in Lake Placid? ;)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.metro1.com)
Date: February 25, 2002 04:36PM

> Everything I've read about the incidents suggest some truth, but no proof

I have both heard from Cornell people and read that Maas' main defenders when the accusation surfaced were his other female TA's and associates. They basically said that Maas is the type of guy who will say "that a girl" or "that a boy" to his friends and collegues, and that the person in question simply went ballistic over something that was, in their opinion, totally innocuous and non-suggestive.

But as a general comment, I think two contradictory things about this:

(1) Being innocent until proven guilty does matter, so people shouldn't repeat secondhand rumors that have "truth but no proof." When it comes to something that can ruin someone's reputation, truth implies proof.

(2) Having said all of which, OJ did do it (obviously), so proof isn't necessarily a courtroom verdict.

I probably should have just let the comment lie, but rumor-spreading, when there's something important at stake, really ticks me off. If Jim knows the situation well and has really good reason to assume truth of the accusation, I'd say the place to repeat that is at the Provost's office, not eLF.

Nothing personal here at all, Jim. You've always seemed like a nice guy as far as I'm concerned. It's just a hot button issue to me.

Date: February 25, 2002 05:37PM

regarding goal judges (and not professor maas!), i don't think it matters overall if someone related to the program happens to be also the goal judge. if every school in the ecac does it, then the potential 'judgment bias' cancels out in the final analysis. of course, i am not refering to any specific person here. i'm sure that to be a judge, a sense of integrity and fairness, not affiliation, is paramount.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: February 26, 2002 09:27AM

And the bottom line, which everyone seems to have glossed over, is that goal judges don't have any real power, short of making the crowd get loud. Other than the incident this year where the ref conferred with the goal judge, I've never seen them play an actual role in the outcome of a game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login