Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

new cheers and old cheers

Posted by jy3 
new cheers and old cheers
Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 08:47PM

so i know that most people don't read this forum but can we please stop the Bâby cheers? i mean the guy graduated. maybe we can change it to hornby instead of Bâby?

also, any substitutions for the old auger/mcrae cheer?

i think the band should learn how to play the kibbles and bits jingle for byron. that might amuse a few people

any other ideas/comments?

Re: new cheers and old cheers
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:02PM

I agree, I've been thinking of posting this, but it slipped my mind. I appreciate everything the band does, but come on guys. They still play the Bâby cheers (both of them), the McRae cheer, and the Underhill cheer! It was kind of stupid playing the Undy cheer for LeNeveu, but at least his name fit into it. We have no goalies now that fit, and they still play the damn thing.

We have players with names like Hynes, Moulson, Abbott, Hornby, O'Byrne, and McKee (ketchup, beer, 'hey Abbott!', 'do I make you Hornby', 'burn', and 'key') and we can't come up with one damn new song to play for any of them? Can we please drop the old stuff and figure out some new things.

Posted by: cquinn (---.bur.adelphia.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:11PM

If by the Underhill song you mean Underdog, the band was playing that long before Underhill came on the scene. Same thing for the "McRae" song. I believe Vinnie Auger was the first player name the Faithful used for that, but the band had been playing the tune for quite some time.

Posted by: NadaTownie (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:16PM

I agree... a little bit.

Playing those old songs for the old players is kinda like a memorial for those players.. showing that we still support them.

But, if a current player's name fits with the cheer/song, why not use the name?

Even though you can't automatically change it, if people start useing new cheers, people will catch on over time.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:17PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

I agree, I've been thinking of posting this, but it slipped my mind. I appreciate everything the band does, but come on guys. They still play the Bâby cheers (both of them), the McRae cheer, and the Underhill cheer!
They probably play them because the bullfight cheer was around before Auger and Underbone was around long before Underhill. Just yell "¡Olé!" for the former and sing "Trombones suck" for the second. :-D

On the other hand, "Hey Bâby" only made it into the repertoire in the Bâby era, and I think the same goes for Austin Powers.

'key'
Maybe they should play "The Magic Key" for him. nut

Posted by: Adam (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:35PM

You could just insert "Byron" for "Bâby" in the "Hey Bâby" song. Both big physical guys. Both two syllable names that start with B. Makes perfect sense.

Date: November 02, 2003 09:49PM

Adam '01 wrote:
You could just insert "Byron" for "Bâby" in the "Hey Bâby" song. Both big physical guys. Both two syllable names that start with B. Makes perfect sense.
Except one of them is a reference to the actual words of the song, and one is a reference to the reference. Singing "Leneveu" to Underbone was dopey for the same reasons. Let's not let what were once creative and clever cheers get stale because we insist on re-using them.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 10:01PM

On Saturday, at least, it wasn't the band playing "Hey Bâby," it was the fans singing "Hey Hornby" a cappella. There were also a few "Kill, Hornby, kills" going on.

My problem wasn't that the cheers should be retired (although I agree that we should come up with new creative ones), but that by the time most of these cheers were sung/yelled by enough people to be heard, the player was off the ice. Kinda stupid to ask Hornby to "kill someone" when he's sitting on the bench, isn't it?

Date: November 02, 2003 10:03PM

Right - thanks, JTW, that was my point. It's not that it's horrible to keep a cheer around as a 'memorial', but if we just keep using the same cheers for the next 10 years, putting different names into them, that's hardly the creativity and spirit that the Lynah faithful are known for. "Hmmmm, who's name fits best into something old, so we don't have to bother coming up with anything new."

Unfortunately, a) I'm a non-creative engineer, and b) many of these are song related and hence have to be lead by the band.

But I'd rather get a discussion going on what good new cheer we can come up with, than let the old one stick around for no other reason than no one's thought of any new ones.

If 'Ole' has been around for a while, then I retract my complaint on that one... we may as well change McRae's! to Abbotts! don't ya think? Except, of course, it doesn't fit with 'Ole!' Then again, neither did Auger.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 02, 2003 10:22PM

Hey Bâby was played on Friday night due to fan request, but played during an intermission. Saturday was an a cappella version started by section B.

The Austin Powers cheer has a simple reason for living on, "Do I make you Hornby" works quite well with that cheer.

Date: November 02, 2003 10:44PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:
If 'Ole' has been around for a while, then I retract my complaint on that one... we may as well change McRae's! to Abbotts! don't ya think? Except, of course, it doesn't fit with 'Ole!' Then again, neither did Auger.
Huh? "Auger!" (French pronunciation) sounds more like "¡Olé!" than "McRae!-zzzz" does.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 11:05PM

I have an idea for a new cheer...a new song, actually, if it can be pulled off by the band.

To cheer on Byron Bitz, who thus far seems to be proving himself to be a great asset for the Big Red, the band plays "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet. New Bitz-specific/Cornell hockey-specific cheers would have to be written for the fans to sing, of course. Naturally, "Byron Bitz" replaces "ballroom blitz" in the song.

Posted by: chris (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 02, 2003 11:15PM

i was just reading through the posts and decided to search for anything.
i came up with a molson beer song but can't for the life of me find a way to hear what it sounds like. i don't know if we could do anything with this but here it is...

[www.ilikenakedwomen.com]

Posted by: MikeT (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 12:28AM

one possibility:

Schafer in the back said 'everyone attack'
and they turned to Byron Bitz
To the sieve in the corner, hey! I wanna warn ya'
that we're turning to Byron Bitz

Date: November 03, 2003 01:03AM

Mike, I got the MP3 of that... I like very much. Anyone from the band reading this? Could there possibly be a pep band arrangement of that? It works very nicely.

Also, the best I can find for Molson (which I could also find an MP3 of) was something that is referred to as the "Molson anthem" - aka: "you know I am Canadian". Unfortunately, it doesn't have the word Molson in it, but I think we could work something out for Matty.

Here's the MP3... [www.people.cornell.edu]

I know this team is where I am
No other team is better than,
No matter where I go I am,
Proud to be a Moulson fan

Just a first draft from the lowly engineer ;-).

P.S. Sorry about the Auger thing and my silly American pronunciation.

Edit:
Wait, based on a later verse...

I love this Lynah where I am,
This ice is where I make my stand,
No other shot is truer than,
The one we call the Moulson man

Post Edited (11-03-03 01:16)

Date: November 03, 2003 01:35AM

O'Byrne baby, burn! Defense inferno!
O'Byrne baby, burn!

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 08:16AM

i remember those days of cheering "Auger!"

i knew the band was not the group singing the Bâby cheer since I was surrounded with the section A'ers who were doing it.

no one likes my Kibbles an' Bitz idea ;)

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 09:33AM

That 'Byron Bitz' song has to be done...that's great.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 12:03PM

I personally like,

(Pointing at Byron)....Bitz! (Pointing at an opposition player)....Bites!

Ad infinitum.

JH

Posted by: Adam (---.client.cypresscom.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 02:14PM

And in the same spirit:

(Pointing at McKee)...McKee! (Pointing at other goalie)...Ugly!

Posted by: angry "A" (132.236.131.---)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:13PM

I always hoped that with careful attention, the instant Hornby stepped onto the ice a "Here comes Hornby!" chant could be yelled. (said kinda slowly, maybe like how we ask "how much time is left?";) The idea being that Hornby usually goes straight for someone and, in my dream world, this chant could cause all of the opposing players to stop for a second and look up.

In other news, I was pretty disappointed with the cheering from the lower part of section B on Saturday. Every player on Western Mich was notified of their sucking status multiple times. Also, starting a "goalie, sieve," chant when we're down a goal makes very little sense, especially when 30 seconds later we hit a post, creating the perfect opportunity for a "goalie, sieve, post" chant. Too bad we blew our load early. We've got plenty of cheers in our arsenal and room for more, let's just make sure to pull them out at the right time.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:53PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:
(Pointing at Byron)....Bitz! (Pointing at an opposition player)....Bites!

Too bad the Elves aren't around any more; we could do "Kibbles ... Bitz!"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:58PM

Actually, I thought of

(Pointing at McKee)...McKee! (Pointing at other goalie)...Goofy!

but it could be misconstrued that we're referring to McKee as Mickey.

JH

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.169.116.234.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: November 03, 2003 06:00PM

While we're on the subject of new cheers for specific players, here's a Clarkson recruit to start salivating over for next year:

Name: Grant Clitsome 14
Birthday: April 14, 1985
Height 6'0
Weights: 200 lbs.
Position: Defense
Last School Attended: Samuel-Genest High School
Nickname: Clits
Favourite Music: Everything
Favourite NHL Team: Atlanta Thrashers
Future Goals: NCAA Scholarship

Egad.

VicB already called it, though: Round Table Thread

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 10:07PM

Delta-
That song sounds great. I'll bug my friends in the pep band about it.

-Ben Rocky '04

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 10:08PM

I like the Ugly one. I'll see if i can get others to try it out at Bowling Green / Ohio state.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 10:28PM

How about a song by Taco: instead of "Puttin' on the Ritz"..."Puttin' on the Bitz."

No?

I didn't think so.

Date: November 03, 2003 11:09PM

Ben Rocky (and whomever else it may concern),

I'm glad the pep band will hear of this stuff. Feel free to edit words, but we definitely need some new cheers for the new guys.

Also, I had a thought that we might want to put papers on the seats to 'teach' people the new cheers, once they're finalized :-D - ala the key printout a couple years back, but much more friendly :-).

Does anyone have any opinion on that? If so, I work at a lab and can provide all the free printing required.

-Fred

Posted by: Mike '03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2003 08:27PM

Many pepband members regularly peruse the forum, including both current conductors and some of the alumni arranger types.
They/We've developed a large level of skeptiscm for requests from the 'peanut gallery' because for every person who has a 'good' request, there are 25 changing lyrics to 'wittily' fit some player and telling us "wouldn't it be cool if the entire crowd sang this?" and 50 others requesting Louie Louie, not to mention those in the band demanding Hogan's Heroes become the new Alma Mater.
In short, unless you're about to offer gratification in the ways of a certain um, cousin, Krispy Kreme, take a friend hostage, or in some other fashion 'convince' the arrangers/leaders of the band to do something, they'll do whatever they want on their own. Most of the time (key word, most), they've got a better idea of what the band can, and will play (or at least, will not refuse to play) and better ideas of what will fit into the 12 or so seconds each break lasts without sounding cheesy or stupid.

So speaketh I, now start with the heaping of money lest I unleash another arrangement of Macho Man upon ye.

And what the hell's up with Section B dancing to Rock & Roll Pt2?

Date: November 04, 2003 09:19PM

Hey, I completely understand that the band conductors know better what the band can play, and they're more musically inclined than I am, but I'd be surprised if any of them really felt that the band's job doesn't include coming up with new cheers for our new players, and I'm just trying to get the process going. Some ideas can never hurt. I have a hunch the band leaders *are* the band leaders because they know that continuing to play the Bâby and LeNevue cheers are not the best Lynah can do :-D.

Posted by: roh686 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 05, 2003 10:36AM

The "here comes hornby" could be fun.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: November 05, 2003 01:23PM

Matt Sochor wrote:
The "here comes hornby" could be fun.
I can't think of it without picturing him wrangling.

"Here comes Hornby, he's a berserker..."

Posted by: Brian Deerr '04 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 05, 2003 11:31PM

As much as I can't stand Macho Man, it's a lot of fun to get the rest of the drummers to help me turn it into the Macho Man Waltz.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2003 12:21AM

Brian Deerr '04 wrote:
As much as I can't stand Macho Man, it's a lot of fun to get the rest of the drummers to help me turn it into the Macho Man Waltz.
That offer is still on the table, you know. :-D

Posted by: Shorts (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2003 01:50AM

I'm working on Ballroom Blitz as we speak
...err...as I speak
...as I write
...just a second ago before I started writing, and will be continuing to do immediately after I finish posting.

It may appear as early as this weekend.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 06, 2003 07:43AM

Shorts '04 wrote:

I'm working on Ballroom Blitz as we speak
...err...as I speak
...as I write
...just a second ago before I started writing, and will be continuing to do immediately after I finish posting.

It may appear as early as this weekend.

Yay! Finally, I make a tangible contribution to Cornell hockey fandom! Woohoo! :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login