Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 2 vs. WMU 3 FINAL Game 2

Posted by Chris 02 
Cornell 2 vs. WMU 3 FINAL Game 2
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 07:10PM

Post game updates here. I'll do my best to update the subject.

WMU audio is running. Anyone got the video?

Post Edited (11-01-03 21:25)

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 0 1st per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 07:15PM

Cornell draws an early penalty.

Posted by: Kyle Rose '98 (---.bos1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 07:19PM

Got video.

If you're using Linux (as I am), you can view the game with xine: purchase the PPV, log in, and then you'll probably see a blank blue frame on the left, if you're using some Mozilla-variant browser. Right click and select "view source" or the equivalent. Find the <url...> tag and copy out the Cornell*.asx.

Do a wget of that URL (e.g., [www.i2sports.com]) and then look at the resulting file: it should contain a <ref...> tag with an "mms://..." URL. Do "xine <that url>".

You might need to download the proper Windows Media 9 codec .dll's: I did a web search for "wmv9dmod.dll"; doing a search for "mplayer-codecs-win32-dmo" is probably more efficient. :-)

So, if anyone has a more straightforward way of getting this to work with Linux besides writing my own "Player1" handler, please let me know. :)

Cheers,
Kyle

Date: November 01, 2003 07:22PM

McKee in goal again tonight for Cornell.

Cornell with some good pressure on the first PP, but couldn't capitalize. They've got another chance now. This sounds more typical of Cornell.

Whew...big save by McKee on a shorthanded chance!

Post Edited (11-01-03 19:23)

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 1 1st per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 07:42PM

1-0 WMU

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 1 1st int. Game 2
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 07:51PM

Not a bad period. Much more defensively-paced as per Schafer's post-game comments. McKee made one good save on a semi-break. The goal came on WMU's third consecutive pp and the D finally broke down.

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 1 1st int. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 07:52PM

I need to learn how to smile. :-)

Cheers,
Kyle

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 1 2nd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 08:03PM

2-0 WMU on a SHG....ouch. worry

Post Edited (11-01-03 20:16)

Re: Cornell 0 vs. WMU 2 2nd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 08:04PM

2-0 WMU, short-handed. :-(

Date: November 01, 2003 08:06PM

Who is it that does the whistling when a Cornell PP ends? I assume it was not the assistant coach that left us this year. But I never thought it was Schafer.

Cornell getting another PP

Re: Cornell 1 vs. WMU 2 2nd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 08:09PM

SCORE! Hynes PP goal 2-1!

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 08:21PM

The whistler is assistant coach Brent Brekke.
[www.cornelldailysun.com]

Re: Cornell 1 vs. WMU 2 2nd int. Game 2
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 08:38PM

talk about your penalty happy refs...this is just ridiculous.

Re: Cornell 1 vs. WMU 2 3rd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 08:57PM

Thus far in the 3rd, he seems to have swallowed the whistle a bit more. We're almost 5 minutes into it.

Re: Cornell 1 vs. WMU 3 3rd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 08:58PM

3-1 WMU now. Seems like the crowd is pretty well taken out of the game. I hear the band trying to get things going.

Post Edited (11-01-03 21:01)

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:16PM

Goal just waved off on a WMU breakaway. The WMU announcer is such a homer. . .

Date: November 01, 2003 09:24PM

Score! 3-2 with something like 20 seconds left...

Re: Cornell 2 vs. WMU 3 3rd per. Game 2
Date: November 01, 2003 09:24PM

SCORE! EAG! 3-2!

Date: November 01, 2003 09:26PM

Oh well, that's it... but good attempt at the end there. Too bad: first home loss in a season and a half. :-(

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: Big Ben 03 (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:26PM

3-2 WMU Final.

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:28PM

Good effort, just came up a little short. These young guys will only get better. Anyone know the SOG?

Re: Cornell 2 vs. WMU 3 FINAL Game 2
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:35PM

Coulda won, coulda lost... lost.

Schafer, OTOH, is not going to be so casual about it, and I think the team that goes into New Haven and Princeton next weekend will be pretty motivated.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:40PM

WMU: 11-5-9=25
CU: 7-12-14=33

Posted by: Mike Hedrick 01 (---.arlngt01.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 09:41PM

Thanks. And plenty more missed the net - that was my main frustration tonight.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 10:37PM

My remarks:

- McKee definitely looked better tonight. The third goal against him was masterfully done by WMU, though, and I doubt even Lenny could have stopped it. McKee should definitely start at least one game next weekend, if not both.
- Alex Dell (the ref) should die a horrible, horrible death after this weekend. Okay, I don't really want him dead, but I do wish he would suffer a bit.
- I believe the offense was more on top of their game tonight, and a lot of their shots barely missed, including one or two posts.
- Defense still needs work. They really need to stop giving the opponent breakaways.
- Shane Hynes' goal was beautiful.

Anyone know why Marr didn't dress tonight? I forget, did he dress last night?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2003 10:45PM

I believe Marr is hurt. He did not dress last night either.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 10:45PM

One thing I'll disagree with One Of... though generally I agree. I thought the D was better today, not great, making a few mistakes that WMU capitalized on, but less than last night - at least until the late third, when they were pressing forward. The offense on the other hand, was not crisp. I can't remember how many times a pass back bounced out of the zone, or a pass through the middle (either in the neutral zone of the offensive zone) was broken up. We're playing more out system, we're just not playing it very well.

And yes, Dell sucks.
We want Gateway < clap clap clapclapclap >

Date: November 01, 2003 10:57PM

My Notes:

- played a lot better game tonight than last night; more of the Schafer type game
- Dell set the tone for the game in the first period when there were six powerplays. Cornell just could not get into a rhytm. In general, the officiating was terrible, BOTH WAYS. There was a play in the second period where Dell signaled a goal for Western Michigan but then changed his mind and called a penalty against Western Michigan.
- Vesce really struggled tonight. Perhaps the most I have ever see him struggle.
- Hynes was the team's best forward tonight, getting a goal and an assist. He still does not have the impact he can have on every shift.
- Team fell asleep and played very zero intensity from about the mid way point of the second period to a little after the mid way point of the third period.
- Special Teams were a huge factor. Cornell just cannot execute on the powerplay. They went 1 for 9 on the powerplay, including a short handed goal against. Even though the second unit scored the powerplay goal, I thought they particularly struggled. Neither McCutcheon nor Pegaroro shoot the puck and you need the pointmen to get pucks to the net on the powerplay. McCutcheon and Pegoraro are not guys with huge shots so only one of them should be back there, probably Pegoraro. McCutcheon should be down low with his strong playmaking ability. O'Byrne should definitely be getting powerplay time just because he has a huge shot and that alone will generate a lot more chances. Western Michigan I believe had at least one powerplay goal, but they executed their powerplay much better than Cornell which should make sense considering they've played a few games.
- McKee was better tonight. He made one or two big saves. Didn't have a chance on the third goal. I thought he was absolutely brutal on Friday so it was good to see him improve a little. He still overcommits a lot and looks pretty uncomfortable at times.
- Defensive zone coverage was better, but certainly not up to par with last year's. I guess it's unfair to even compare to last year's considering the personel difference. The bottom line is that the defense is not nearly as good this year as it was last year. They are not clearing the front of the net and are making bad decisions in the offensive and neutral zones leading to odd man rushes.
- It was just not a good sight losing tonight. Western Michigan was the better team. They are not a very strong team and I am concerned about Cornell's outlook for the year despite the fact that they have only played a couple games. None of the questions facing the team were answered this weekend. I will say, if anything, the question marks became even bigger.

Posted by: min (---.atl.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 01:57AM

great game analysis!

it's too early to tell, but i wonder if the team (specially the defensive units and special teams) is also missing from jamie russell's departure to michigan tech...

let's go red.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 02, 2003 02:12AM

Lets pray that Russell was not the only thing keeping the power play and defense together. What we see here is young team that is going to have a rough first weekend (hopefully not 2nd) & is going to get a lot better in the next few weeks.
So many new people, and such missing talent. Shafer will find a way to bring this team together, he has only had a week so far.
Compared to friday, they looked better as a whole tonight, but yea, Ryan was not on his game this evening. Defense is getting better, and alot of the one-on-one plays by W. Mich were stopped by our defense with some great moves.
The GOD DAMN passing has got to improve. W. Mich was just all over every missed pass; and with their turn around & offensive speed & breakaways, they seem like Princeton gone competent.

Nominations for my three stars of the game:
Cook, McKee & Hynes.

As for the shooting, they really walked all over W. Mich & foster quite often. The setup was great, and passing, once in the zone, was spectacular. The timing on the open nets was just always a little off, but this will improve with practice, I think. We need to work on getting into the zone without dumping it.
And yes, dell seems awful blind, and sullivan was terrible about being a puck-tease.
-ben rocky

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 02, 2003 09:57AM

Sorry for the stream of thought sentences...trying to pump this out fast...

I definitely think we had a lot of those almost-goals-but-misses last night. It seems like we are taking more chances with dangerous cross ice passes on the power play that I very rarely saw the past few years--Maybe because we have more playmakers and less power at the point. Marr is still out with a tweaked groin; McKee seems really nervous out there especially when he flips the puck out of his glove to the face off circle as fast as humanly possible. It especially rung true on Friday when McKee missed a penalty and was trapped in his thoughts in the goal. Downs had to go out to him after the whistle to wake him up and remind him to go to the bench on a penalty. Gleed makes me nervous whenever the puck comes his way...it always seems to jump over his blade and trickle out of the zone or get caught between his skates. Hornby played his ass off this weekend--his usually spark plug self but he also flashed some nice stick work this weekend. Vesce had trouble with faceoffs when I thought he was one of the elite faceoff guys in the ECAC last year. WMU was able to play with us along the boards even though I was expecting them to be midgets that we would easily push around. Schafer has a lot of work to do but this freshmen class is the real deal--but still only freshmen. It's going to be a tough week of practice for the guys and at the same time I've got to keep reminding myself to be patient.

Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 02:32PM

Was the condition of the ice any better Saturday than in was Friday? Did that make a difference?

Gleed
Date: November 02, 2003 02:32PM

I was actually very happy and surprised with Gleed's play this weekend. He skated extremely well. I will concede that he played better on Friday night, and Schafer likely agreed as it seemed as if his ice time was significantly lower on Saturday.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 03:05PM

Patience is most definitely important right now. It's very common for teams to start off like this and then become dominant later in the season. Schafer even hinted at this trend in a quote from Friday's Daily Sun, saying, "The biggest thing for a lot of guys is not to get frustrated, knowing that we will be a much different team in two weeks, and five months from now."

The team still has quite a bit of gelling to do; at times during the games this weekend, it was as if there were 5 skaters trying to do things all by themselves, not playing as a team. I'd imagine that this week's practices will be intense, and hopefully we'll start to see some of the work pay off next weekend against Yale and Princeton. Also, since we're ranked #58 (out of 58 teams) in special teams, lots of time should be spent on the PP and PK.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 05:26PM

calgARI '07 wrote:
- Special Teams were a huge factor. Cornell just cannot execute on the powerplay. They went 1 for 9 on the powerplay, including a short handed goal against. Even though the second unit scored the powerplay goal, I thought they particularly struggled. Neither McCutcheon nor Pegaroro shoot the puck and you need the pointmen to get pucks to the net on the powerplay. McCutcheon and Pegoraro are not guys with huge shots so only one of them should be back there, probably Pegoraro. McCutcheon should be down low with his strong playmaking ability. O'Byrne should definitely be getting powerplay time just because he has a huge shot and that alone will generate a lot more chances.
I'm speculating that with different personnel than last year (i.e. no Murray, Bâby, or McRae to shoot from the point), we'll see a different power play scheme than last year. Seems like the team had some success with low cross-goal passes, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.campuslife.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 10:00PM

Those passes looked great, they just didn't connect this weekend. Hopefully on the road they will start to.

Posted by: Josh '99 (68.160.255.---)
Date: November 03, 2003 11:42PM

Well, they did at least once (Hynes's goal on Saturday).

Posted by: Richard Stott '70 (110-5-1) (128.164.242.---)
Date: November 04, 2003 08:58AM

Remember, Mark McRae, Bâby and Murray last year were playing on the power play for their fourth year, that doesn't happen very often. There's a lot of talent out there and I think they probably will get it together. Salmela can really fire the puck, he has a quick release and does a pretty good job of keeping it on the goal.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (128.239.189.---)
Date: November 04, 2003 10:19AM

Richard Stott '70 (110-5-1) wrote:
Salmela can really fire the puck, he has a quick release and does a pretty good job of keeping it on the goal.

Keeping it on goal was something they seemed to have trouble with this weekend. Anybody else notice that everytime McCutcheon shot the puck it seemed to go about 3 feet above the crossbar??

Posted by: ugarte (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 09, 2003 04:03PM

WMU dropped a pair at UAF this weekend. Ugh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login