Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

western michigan university @ cornell game 1

Posted by jy3 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: western michigan university @ cornell game 1
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 01:29AM

[Q]Interesting to see handshakes after game one of a two-game series.[/Q]I think they usually shake, unless it's a playoff 2 outof 3, etc.. When it's multiple single games in a row shaking is done. Didn't they shake after the first W. Mich game last year , John?

A cheap trick that WM tried to play was when the period and game was over. I was down at the open end at the end of the first period, and a WM player would not take his skate off the ice and leave because he did not want to let us be the last one off. The linesman had to push him out the door.

Also at the end of the game, WM would not leave so we could raise our sticks. They just stood there, maybe they could get a penalty for obstruction-interference.

Anyway Dell was terrible, but both ways, so everybody could complain, not just WM.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 03:57AM

jy3, I'm relieved to hear that you're all right, more or less. Way to take one for the team! :-D

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 07:07AM

jy3, most important question -- did they save you the puck?!

(I mean, subcutaneous hemorraging and potential brain damage is one thing, but the genuine puck... priceless. :-)

Seriously, hope you're okay. Don't sue! ;-)

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 08:51AM

[q]cant believe i missed an extra attacker goal. way to fight back, red. oh and the EMT grabbed the puck for me so that was sweet.[/q]

I wonder if Schafer is so used to having seen last year's defense playing (i.e. Murray, McRae and Bell and company) that with some new people, they are bound to make mistakes and not quite understand how to play the proper Cornell defense. In any case, it seems tonight will be different.

One big difference is that we got outshot in this game. I recall games last year where Lenny faced 10-15 shots. That can't hurt to go back to blocking lots of shots.

Posted by: jy3 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 11:10AM

hey guys

thanks for the well-wishes. i did get the puck, had some skin on it ;)

and i wont sue. i am not part of the litiginous society (sp?) within our country. luckily i already met my deductible for health insurance this year :)

Date: November 01, 2003 01:57PM

> One big difference is that we got outshot in this game.

That's not a difference from last year's opener: [members.cox.net]

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 02:34PM

OK - Saturday thoughts on last night - I agree with most of what has been said although I didn't think Mckee was so bad... OK a shaky goal #1 on a partial screen but the defense left him hung out on 2 where we failed to take the body and the WMU player walked in for nice close open shot. And there was one which hit Ben W.'s stick and deflected fairly drasticly into upper left corner of net couple of inches inside the corner. So I can't fault him too much - { ok Lenny probably would have won the game for us, but hey the defensive team play was not great (downright poor in much of first 2/3rds of game) - I have confidence it will get better! }

McCutchen - had several really nice offensive plays - Bitz looked Good! We didn't seem to quite have our game legs and WMU did... They hustled and were agressive and had more then several forwards with real speed - EX. Didn't see Ryan V. skating away from the back checkers - they were consistently catching up to him; Nothing against Ryan he played a good game minus the early penalty -

Need to say that Cook and Downs played particularly well and Downs was really showing hustle and smarts as a forward on the penalty kill.
Knoepfli and Moulsen also looked very good - and as always Abbots and Hornby are always hustling and are FUN to watch!

It was exciting hockey and I look forward to more tonight - GO BIG RED

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 02:58PM

There's a "FREE ARCHIVE" version of the Friday game available at:
[i2sports.com]

It's not entirely fair to compare a live streamed event to an archived one, but it shows the views that have been discussed in this thread and gives a decent idea of what the webcast is like.

Ken '71

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 03:46PM

Um, I don't get any video... just audio. Is that just the archive? Is it a Mac thing (I didn't get any error)?

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 03:47PM

I only caught one period of the WMU feed (the 2nd argh) and I was at work only half listening, so I can't give any personal observations. But from the comments here, it seems like this game was pretty much what we expected. Some good play and promising signs from some freshmen. Shaky defense, esp. the new guys. Goaltending still a work in progress. Also, from Schafer's comments it sounds like we ended up playing more WMU's game, which is up-tempo, fast skating, high scoring. Schafer will try to get the team to play more of a Cornell game: less cheating on offense, more attention to assignments, etc. This will help the defense.

Disappointing to not win the opener. But we didn't lose either. There are good things to take away from the game and the bad stuff wasn't unexpected. So all in all not a bad way to start the season. Looking forward to five more months of Cornell hockey.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 04:10PM

Audio quality is much better on the archived version than it was in real-time last night. The tying goal is at 2:11:58. Kind of looks like a WMU player lifted the back of the goal right about the time the puck went in, but you really can't see the puck.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 01, 2003 04:12PM

Agree with Keith. It was sort of like watching a game in the Lance Nethery era. Couldn't blink for fear of missing a goal.

Date: November 01, 2003 04:47PM

Adam opined that he thought a WMU player was deliberately knocking the net off to stop the play. When I watched the original feed I couldn't tell.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 01, 2003 05:13PM

awesome! Wow, so cool to watch the game over again.

Can someone please start a game 2 topic
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 05:56PM

Can someone who will be posting to the eLF for the whole game please start a topic for Game Two of the WMU series? That way that person can change the subject of the post to reflect the current score.

Thanks.

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 06:32PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

Um, I don't get any video... just audio. Is that just the archive? Is it a Mac thing (I didn't get any error)?

That is generally a sign of a missing video codec. Wierd thing is, I have the newest version of WMP for OSX and I had exactly the same problem. Anyway, I IMd the direct URL to the archive ( [i2sports.com] ) to my Win2k box and it opened just fine in WMP 7.1.

So yes, in this case, it is a mac thing. Why MS would ship a crippled version of their own product is beyond me...

Business strategies
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 06:58PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:
Why MS would ship a crippled version of their own product is beyond me...
It's called "synergy".

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 03:42PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
the team camera tried too hard to follow the puck up close and ended up trailing the action a bit; long shots would be better for following the game, and also better for game film, which is after all what it's there for[/q]

i2sports brought their own camcorders and seemed to recruit Cornell people to man them. Certainly not professionals, so don't expect miracles. Team's still using the same crappy old camera for themselves.

[q]If the second video camera is on the platform next to Section A, does that mean there's no longer handicapped seating there. That would be kind of a bummer for the local group that always sits there because they like to be near the band.[/q]

There were some chairs still there, but I never noticed anyone but the camera person up there, though I wasn't paying very close attention during the game.

Interestingly, i2sports has a van with their logo and "I2SPORTS" license plate, apparently trying to put forth a professional image, but can't be bothered to utilize a competent web designer.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (128.239.189.---)
Date: November 03, 2003 03:45PM

and the shots at i2sports continue...lol

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: November 03, 2003 03:50PM

And yet, my shots at i2sports are far more interesting than the assblather you typically put forth.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (128.239.189.---)
Date: November 03, 2003 03:52PM

Didn't say they weren't. I laughed, didn't I?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 03:56PM

[Q]That is generally a sign of a missing video codec. Wierd thing is, I have the newest version of WMP for OSX and I had exactly the same problem. Anyway, I IMd the direct URL to the archive ( [i2sports.com] ) to my Win2k box and it opened just fine in WMP 7.1.

So yes, in this case, it is a mac thing. Why MS would ship a crippled version of their own product is beyond me...[/Q]
Get ready for some three-letter acronyms (TLAs ;-) )!

Yeah, I 'spoke' (on IRC) with the creators of a popular third-party video player, which can play a whole bunch of formats. So here's the story.

When they upgraded to Windows Media Player 9, MS upgraded the video codec to version three, aka: WMV3 . The thing is, that the current version of WMP for the Mac is version 7.1 and when it was written WMV3 didn't even exist. So they didn't cripple it, so much as just not update it in nearly two years.

WMP 7.1 for Mac plays WMV1 and WMV2 codecs, as does this other program - VideoLAN Client (VLC). However, MS has refused to release any specs on WMV3, and there's no open-source implementation, so it is nearly impossible to reverse engineer. Essentially, WMP 9 for Windows is the only program that plays WMV3 video, and MS is doing everything they can to keep it that way.

VLC is available for Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, Debian GNU/Linux, Mandrake Linux, RedHat Linux, Familiar Linux, YOPY Linux, and Zaurus - and is compileable for NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, QNX, and Gentoo Linux.

According to the I2sports people "we were good with Mac users until Microsoft introduced Windows Media Player 9." This seems to say to me that they used to broadcast in WMV1 or WMV2. There is probably no good reason why they can't continue to do so, or at least offer an alternative stream in an earlier format. I encourage any person here who can't run WMP 9 (or doesn't want to :-) ), to email them asking them to broadcast a stream that everybody can view. To use the same format that they used to will probably cost them nothing, or at least very little, and I'm sure the extra subscriptions will make up for it. I can think of at least 2 people on this board who would pay them $60, and I'm sure i'm missing some.

One note, I tried playing the stream in WMP 9 in Virtual PC (VPC), but the emulation overhead required of VPC meant I got a second of okay video, followed by 1 - 2 seconds of still frame... rinse and repeat.

Edit: VLC is available for Win 95. WMP 9 is not. While not a lot of people use Win 95 anymore (and probably shouldn't :-) ), I know I have seen it, and it's another 'market' they'd open up.

Post Edited (11-03-03 16:11)

Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: November 03, 2003 05:13PM

BigRedIslander wrote:

ITs worth $5, but I mean 60 for the year seems like a lot...it def doesnt cost nearly that to run.....they must be making a crapload on it

I have got to disagree with you on that. Though the marginal cost is probably fairly low, you still need to have at least 2 or 3 people at the game as well as the equipment. Include in that travel time from Syracuse etc., and I think at 60 bucks I am getting a very good deal. It isn't like there are thousands of us out there watching.

Of course, the first time something goes wrong I'll probably be furious, but for now I'm a relatively happy camper. I just wish we could get away game feeds and some way for all users interested in paying to watch the game able to do so, and not blocking them out because of a different tech choice.

Chris

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login