Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Goalie Choice

Posted by Jeff Hopkins '82 
Goalie Choice
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 06:58AM

Is anyone else concerned that Schafer is going to give Marr extra playing time because he's a senior, even though McKee appears to be the better goalie (much like he did with Underhill during Lenny's freshman year)?

JH

Re: Goalie Choice
Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 07:13AM

Schafer will do whatever is in the long term interests of the team. That may mean throwing extra minutes to a senior in order to reinforce the message that those who contribute over a long period and work hard will be rewarded, in order to boost morale and improve overall performance. OTOH, he may feel McKee isn't ready for a full load or that Marr has leadership qualities that will benefit the team. Or practices may demonstrate that Marr's a good goalie.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 07:51AM

Unless Marr improves significantly over the next few weeks and/or McKee isn't as good as we are making him out to be, I predict Marr to start on Fridays and McKee on Saturdays for the time being. I think things will change (or enough evidence will have mounted) by the BG/OSU weekend to choose one over the other, though.

With regard to Underhill and LeNeveu two seasons ago, though, I think alternating two great goalies was the thing to do since neither one proved himself to be drastically worse than the other. And while LeNeveu had the slightly better numbers by the end of the regular season, I trusted Schafer in choosing Underhill for the postseason since he had more experience going for him.

Posted by: gwm3 (---.student.harvard.edu)
Date: October 26, 2003 10:06AM

I don't really think this is at all like Underhill-Lenveu two years ago. First of all, Underhill was one of the better goalies in the league (if not the country), and had solid experience over three years. Marr, on the other hand, has played in all of four games to this point -- hardly the kind of experience that should earn him any preferential "senior" treatment. It should be a wide open competition for playing time this year, and I could easily see Schafer going with the freshman.

Posted by: Rob '98 (---.uspto.gov)
Date: October 26, 2003 10:49AM

what is the story about Chabot? Is he that far out of the running?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 12:03PM

[Q]what is the story about Chabot? Is he that far out of the running?[/Q]
Yeah, that was pretty much gonna be my comment. He was highly-touted and I'm kinda surprised to see him taking the 3rd seat so readily (in Schafer's mind I mean, not that he should fight it). I don't remember him being bothered by his play in the Red/White, though to be honest I wasn't paying incredibly close attention to him.

If we bring in another frosh next year, and McKee and the new guy split time, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gartman-esque departure. I certainly hope not, but I'd understand if Louis got frustrated.

(P.S. I mean he *does* have that 1.000 save percentage :-P )

Post Edited (10-26-03 12:04)

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 12:44PM

I was wondering if perhaps Chabot was injured. There isn't a really compelling explanation for not giving him at least a few minutes in an exhibition game. After all, last year against York, Lenny, Marr, and Chabot all saw some time (with Lenny playing 2 periods and Marr/Chabot splitting the third).

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 02:09PM

i thought his performance @ red-white was compelling enough not to play him

Posted by: sdellman (---.monarch.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 03:45PM

[Q]i thought his performance @ red-white was compelling enough not to play him[Q]

Wow. That is pretty harsh and to be able to snap judge a player's talent after one game! Having been involved with sports as both a player and a coach, I know it's not possible to be your best every time you play no matter who you are. Schafer will have the benefit of watching these guys every day and I'll trust his judgement to pick the right guys.

Date: October 26, 2003 03:53PM

sdellman wrote:

Wow. That is pretty harsh and to be able to snap judge a player's talent after one game! Having been involved with sports as both a player and a coach, I know it's not possible to be your best every time you play no matter who you are. Schafer will have the benefit of watching these guys every day and I'll trust his judgement to pick the right guys.

You're absolutely right, it's all up to Schafer and we should trust him. But the fact that Chabot didn't even get time in net last night sends a pretty strong message to the fans, don't you think? (Unless Chabot was critically injured, but I don't think that was the case, since I believe he was dressed.)

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 04:05PM

I saw Chabot nursing a hamstring injury earlier in the week. I suspect that had he been 100%, the goalies each would have played one period.

Posted by: atb9 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 26, 2003 04:18PM

Chabot was hanging out in section E last night. He said he was injured.

Date: October 26, 2003 04:30PM

Adam Brown '03 wrote:

Chabot was hanging out in section E last night. He said he was injured.

Whoops, my mistake.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking to my guns about the Marr/McKee combo for now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login