Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Red/White

Posted by Big Red Dog 
Red/White
Posted by: Big Red Dog (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2003 09:36PM

hey. how bout that Mckee kid...pretty good....

anyone know where gleed was hiding tonight?!?

Re: Red/White
Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.carlsl01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2003 09:42PM

anyone who was there feel like giving some details?

Post Edited (10-19-03 00:05)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2003 10:17PM

RED
2 O'BYRNE - 2D PP2
7 COOK -1D PP1
8 VESCE -1F PP1
9 VARTERESSIAN - 2F PP2
15 PEGORARO - 2F PP1
16 HORNBY - 2F PP2
21 McLEOD - F PP2
22 GLOVER - 1D
23 DOWNS - 2D PP2
24 MOULSON - 1F PP1
29 BITZ - 1F PP1

WHITE
3 STACHURSKI - 2D PP1
4 PAJERSKI - 2D
5 GLEED - DND D
6 SALMELA - 1D PP2
10 McCUTCHEON - F PP2
11 CAREFOOT - 2F PP1
12 WALLACE - 2D PP1
14 ABBOTT, CAM - 2F PP2
18 IGGULDEN - 1F PP1
19 ABBOTT, CHRIS - 2F PP1
27 KNOEPFLI - 1F PP2
28 HYNES - 1F PP2

This is how I saw them as they each took their first shifts. Who knows if this is the final lines or PP units.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 12:16AM

O'Byrne's huge, and not bad for a barely-freshman. He has definite promise. The Abbott's shined with at least 4 points between them... and whoever's wearing Bâby's number didn't live up to it ;-).

Oh, and Hornby got the first penalty of the game. :-D

Okay, so I don't have 1/10th the zoom Age does, my camera doesn't cost 1/10th as much as his (all told, probably), and I'm not 1/10th the photographer, but I got about 40-something pictures on my Canon PowerShot A70. If people would like, I could work on posting them somewhere.

-Fred

Post Edited (10-19-03 00:18)

Baby's Number
Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 19, 2003 12:46AM

Actually, Dan Glover (21) looked very very good. He really impressed me. He can be a top 4 defenseman as a freshman.

Re: Baby's Number
Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 12:52AM

Dan Glover is #22....and got a TON of ice time.

Kevin McLeod is #21

Date: October 19, 2003 12:52AM

Here's how I see the lineup shaking out to start the season based on what I saw tonight:

Moulson-Vesce-Bitz
Knoepfli-Pegoraro-Hynes
Abbot-Abbot-McCutcheon
McLeod-Iggulden-Hornby

Cook-Glover
O'Byrne-Downs
Wallace-Salmela

McKee
Marr

Powerplay:
Moulson-Vesce-Bitz
Pegoraro-Cook

Cook is the team's top defenseman. Bitz, McCutcheon, O'Byrne, Glover, and McKee could all be substantial contributors this season. I believe that Hynes has more upside than any player on the team, as was my belief last year as well. He has the potential to be a second line power forward in the NHL. He uses his size well. He can skate. He dominates the corners. When he puts it all together, he will be one of the top forwards in the country. There could be some growing pains on the blueline, but by the second half of the season things should be fine.

Posted by: smallperson (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 01:04AM

GO BYRON BITZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 01:18AM

McKee was frickin' awesome tonight. I really hope he starts one night each weekend, if not more.

Date: October 19, 2003 01:20AM

This is for those of you who weren't there....

The game was split into two 20 minute halves. In each half, 10 minutes of 5 on 5 was followed by 3 minutes of power play for EACH team, followed by 4 on 4 for four minutes. The second half concluded with a minute of 6 on 5 (with the goalie pulled, of course) for each team. McKee remained on the white team the entire game, Chabot on the red team, and Marr saw time in both nets. The first half ended with the Red up 2-1, with a breakaway goal by Vesce and a slapper from between the circles by Bitz. The white first half goal was from a PRETTY 2 on 1 down low resulting in Cam Abbott sliding it under Chabot. In the second half, White came out on fire, scoring 2 goals (one by Knoepfli after a weird rebound and one by McCutcheon who was left all alone in front of the net). Leading 3-2, however, they gave up a Pegoraro shorthanded breakaway goal during their 3 minutes of power play time. So "regulation" ended 3-3, and in the shootout, each team had 10 players shoot. 2 White players scored (Salmela and someone else) and after only Downs scoring for the Red team, McKee made a great save on Vesce (the final player to shoot) to give White the 5-4 win. SO....

I don't know how well his performance translates to a real game situation or how he's been playing in practice, but Dave McKee was the best goalie out there tonight. Very alert, it seemed. Chabot gave up a rebound on 75% of the shots he faced, and Marr's glaring weakness is his 5 hole (2 or 3 goals through the legs tonight). Of the 9 goals scored, Marr gave up 5, Chabot 3, and McKee 1 (the Pegoraro SHG). I'll add my thoughts about the other players later......

Post Edited (10-19-03 01:21)

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 01:52AM

I'm a little surprised Mitch Carefoot didn't make calgARI's prospective lineup. I had heard he came very highly recommended.

Date: October 19, 2003 01:54AM

....Okay, a few of my thoughts on the players now:

The freshmen: O'Byrne is fast for a big guy, skates very well, and seems solid for the most part. Bitz, McCutcheon, and Carefoot all overshadowed fellow forward, McLeod. Bitz had a really nice looking goal in the first half, and McCutcheon especially seemed to be all over the place, in a good way. Glover was the best looking defenseman (with O'Byrne being second), and I wouldn't be surprised if he starts next week. Stachurski and McLeod were relatively invisible for most of the evening and may end up being the "Gleed and Iggulden" of the group....or not. What do I know?

Sophomores: The Abbotts were the most impressive forwards of the night (along with Vesce, actually). Schafer may break up that Hornby-Abbott-Abbott line because the Abbotts can do just as much good scoring as they can "creating energy." Their line could be completed by Carefoot, McCutcheon, or....even Moulson (maybe). Speaking of Moulson, I don't think he saw much ice time, and if he did, he didn't do anything noteworthy. Hynes didn't really do anything tonight either, though I agree that he is probably the most talented of this group.

Juniors and Seniors: Nothing really to say that hasn't been said at some point or another, although Ben Wallace seemed really good, as did Varteressian (tonight, anyway) and Vesce (of course). Oh, and Hornby may be the first person to ever get a boarding penalty in a red/white game :-P

All that being said, I'm sure Coach Schafer, who sat up by himself in the press box with a yellow notepad, made plenty of notes (certainly more astute than mine) as well.

Date: October 19, 2003 02:05AM

I was thinking the same thing....

I agree with calgARI's line predictions for the first 3 lines. However, for the 4th, instead of McLeod - Iggulden - Hornby, I think it will be Carefoot - Varteressian - Hornby. I don't know, McLeod and Iggulden seem to slow to play on Hornby's line...

Posted by: French Rage (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 03:37AM

A few quick impressions:

- The Abbott line is goona kic ass this year, as it started to do last year and appears to be in sync this year.

- Bitz and McCutcheon looked the best. McCutcheon especially seemed to really be into it, as he was everywhere and willing to tough it out.

- McKee will rock, if not this year than next.

- Overall, both sides looked good for what was in essence a scrimmage, and the defense especially shouldn't be too far removed from last year.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 09:39AM

> Oh, and Hornby may be the first person to ever get a boarding penalty in a red/white game

If he isn't, then either Dave Crombeen or Schafer himself was. (Damian Rocke did not play in a Red/White IIRC.) :-D

Post Edited (10-19-03 09:39)

Posted by: profudge (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 11:46AM

Small correction - I had Mike Knoepfli on the first white shoot-out goal and Mitch Carefoot on the second. In general I agree with all of the comments so far although I thought Carefoot and McCutcheon were the best of the freshman forwards - although Bryon Bittz skates smoothly for his size and he did score with a fairly quick release slapper When left uncovered for a second in the high slot from jsut about top of circles. - crowd was light maybe 1400+ (WAG) and except for spirited noise from both red and white pep band was reasonably quiet and enjoying the evening. At least a fairly good cheer and clapping for the team at the end when they gathered at center ice to salute us -

I do believe we will see a bit of line juggling in the first couple of exhibition games but the Defense did not look too bad for having 3 frosh out regularly and Cook and Downs of course look good! Looking forward to next weekend.

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 01:02PM

Pretty much agree with all the assessments posted here. Of course it's hard to tell given the scrimmage situation. I was a little nervous at first, because the first few attempts at hard slap/wrist shots had disasterous results. Pegeraro finally got a couple off at the top of the PP, but looked a little awkward in taking them. Wallace had great puck command, and Vesce was Vesce. Won most faceoffs, and scored on the breakaway. Obviously, the freshmen are going to be looked at the closest, and that's what I did as well:

Bitz: great shot for the goal. Reminded me of Moulson's performance in last year's Red/White.

O'Byrne: Tall, but thin and wirey. I thought he looked a little slow around the boards, but when he got open ice to defend, he covered a LOT of it. He was noticably in on a lot of defensive plays, and tended to choose the stay-at-home style. Handled the puck with his head up, and seemed to have a pretty good sense of where people were on the ice.

McCutcheon: the more I watched him, the more impressed I was. Potential playmaker. Had several good shots.

Carefoot: Wasn't afraid of being physical. Sweet move during the shootout.

McLeod & Glover: I couldn't get a good read. Didn't really leave an impression.

Salmela: seems to have a strong shot from up high. Played the side boards well.

Post Edited (10-19-03 13:04)

Re: Baby's Number
Date: October 19, 2003 03:26PM

I thought that maybe I mixed that up.

Regardless, Glover played extremely well.

Date: October 19, 2003 03:33PM

Carefoot is very good in the offensive zone, but his skating is brutal. It is far behind the rest of team, let alone the freshmen. I would take McLeod over him at this point because McLeod has a more complete game and I'd rather have someone with a complete game on the fourth line. I could see Carefoot possibly being the Paolini of this class, not playing much in the first year and then having a substantial impact after that. He just needs a lot of seasoning. His offensive upside is undeniable however. But unless he is going on a scoring line, then sit him out.

Posted by: jyiii (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2003 02:29PM

did anyone else think that peggararos (sp?) goal on the breakaway was an unbelievable move? it floored me. what a move. it wasnt during the shootout

i also loved how they mixed in the special teams, 4v4 and penalty shots. what a fun evening.

the white vs. red band taunting was pretty funny too

i look forward to saturday

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2003 10:39PM

make that Pegoraro :)

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: October 21, 2003 12:52PM

I agree a nifty move by Dan - but what really excited me was the heads up play by the d'man (I think Charlie Cook) to hit him with a perfect pass that let him fly down ice on the breakaway! Both bode well for the future.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login