Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell alumni in the pros

Posted by Section A 
Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cornell alumni in the pros
Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 02:33PM

I thought I'd start this new thread for such updates, since putting them under "LeNeveu sprains knee" didn't really seem right!

Looks like Mark McRae and Matt Underhill are reunited in Florence, SC...
[www.florencepride.com]

And here's the page where you can keep an eye on how Murray is doing -
[www.theahl.com]

Re: Cornell alumni in the pros
Posted by: dsr11 (---.watson.ibm.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 03:03PM

I know it's been on this board many times, but where did Bâby end up? Chicago in the AHL?

Date: October 14, 2003 03:11PM

Yep, Chicago in the AHL
[www.theahl.com]

....though he didn't play in their season opener

Date: October 14, 2003 03:15PM

....and although it's possible they may not be there by then, Chicago (with Bâby) plays Cleveland (with Murray) a couple times in mid-March.

And at no point in the regular season does Springfield (with LeNeveu, for now) play either Chicago or Cleveland.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 05:16PM

Actually, Underhill just re-signed with Manchester:

[www.monarchshockey.com]

"You can't tell the players without a scorecard!"

JH

Date: October 14, 2003 05:28PM

Interesting, and Manchester plays at Springfield (the first of ten meetings between the teams this season) on Friday. Perhaps it'll be Underhill vs. Lenny. That'd be neat.

(side note that I don't know where else to put - I noticed that Kelly Hughes isn't on the team anymore. He isn't on the preseason roster and Dan Glover has his number. Don't know if that was old news, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.)

Post Edited (10-14-03 17:30)

Posted by: jeh25 (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 10:31PM

Avash '05 wrote:
Springfield (with LeNeveu, for now)

And JMP as well.

Posted by: Dale (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2003 08:16PM

(side note that I don't know where else to put - I noticed that Kelly Hughes isn't on the team anymore. He isn't on the preseason roster and Dan Glover has his number. Don't know if that was old news, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.)

Kelly pretty much disappeared last season, I don't think he ever dressed for a game or, if he did, only one or two at the very beginning. I never heard any explanation either, although I thought I saw him in the stands at Lynah a couple of times early on. Figured either he was injured or just didn't make the team.

Date: October 15, 2003 09:41PM

[uscho.com]

Yeah, only dressed for 3 games at the beginning of last season, after an unspectacular first two years (although, as I recall, he had a really nice looking goal against Quinnipiac in the NCAAs a couple years ago; top corner slapshot, perhaps?)

Post Edited (10-15-03 21:45)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2003 09:54PM

K. Hughes also had a huge 3rd period GWG at Clarkson in 2002. Helped us get our first road sweep of the North Country in years.

[uscho.com]

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---.biotech.cornell.edu)
Date: October 16, 2003 10:01AM

Man, what's the CHDB gotta do to get a plug around here? :-P

[db.elynah.com]

[db.elynah.com]

Cornell alumni in the ECHL
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: October 16, 2003 01:49PM

The ECHL has released opening-night rosters.

[www.echl.com]

The following Cornellians are on the list:

Denis Ladouceur (Bakersfield Condors)
Mark McRae (Florence Pride)
Shane Palahicky (Alaska Aces)
Sam Paolini (Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies)
Matt Underhill (Florence Pride) {He's listed on the roster despite signing with Manchester}
Krzysztof Wieckowski (Long Beach Ice Dogs)

ECHL
Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 16, 2003 04:07PM

You've got to love a sports league that has teams in Georgia and Alaska, esp. since it used to be the "East Coast" hockey league.

Re: Cornell alumni in the ECHL
Posted by: Erica (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: October 16, 2003 05:08PM

I was wondering where Kris was going to end up. I know he married his college sweetheart, Jen Borncamp, and she's in graduate school in California. She said he was trying to play hockey. I'm glad things have worked out (more or less) for them.

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: October 17, 2003 02:46PM

LeNeveu and JMP are each mentioned in this article about Sean Burke and why he might be traded:

[www.sportsline.com]

Posted by: Robin (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 17, 2003 10:53PM

Is Pelletier still with the Springfield Falcons?

Posted by: cbuckser (---.dialup.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: October 18, 2003 01:36AM

[Q]Is Pelletier still with the Springfield Falcons?[/Q]
Yes. Jean-Marc got his first W of the year tonight over the Manchester Monarchs. The Falcons won 4-3. In the Monarch net, Matt Underhill replaced the yanked Mathieu Chouinard and allowed one goal (the game winner).

This is the list of Cornellians in the AHL:
Stephen Bâby (Chicago Wolves)
David LeNeveu (Springfield Falcons)
Doug Murray (Cleveland Barons)
Jean-Marc Pelletier (Springfield Falcons)
Matt Underhill (Manchester Monarchs)

Date: October 18, 2003 01:42AM

Tonight, in the AHL, the Springfield Falcons defeated the Manchester Monarchs 4-3. Jean-Marc Pelletier got the win for Springfield, and Matt Underhill got the loss for Manchester. Underhill, who came in after the first period after his team was down 3-0, had 12 saves on 13 shots, giving up the eventual game winner only 31 seconds after Manchester had battled back to tie the game at 3. Pelletier had 31 saves on 34 shots.

Elsewhere in the AHL, Murray played in his second game with the Cleveland Barons tonight; Cleveland won 2-0, and Doug had 1 shot and finished even on the night. Bâby, now wearing #25, has unfortunately played in neither of the Chicago Wolves' first two games of the season.

Post Edited (10-18-03 01:44)

Posted by: Nick Long '68 (---.74.209.3.Dial1.Providence1.Level3.net)
Date: October 18, 2003 07:26AM

Is Jason Elliott still playing in Finland?

Posted by: Tom Shen '01 '02 (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 21, 2003 07:55PM

Manchester released Underhill yesterday.

Date: October 22, 2003 08:10AM

It's a shame he did so poorly: 4.55 GAA, 0.839 SV%.

It's a business :-/

JH

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: October 22, 2003 10:02AM

[Q]It's a business [/Q]

What does that mean? Is the owner, GM or coach a Cornell alum who would otherwise keep him around despite his poor performance?

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: October 22, 2003 10:54AM

CUlater '89 wrote:

[Q]It's a business [/Q]

What does that mean? Is the owner, GM or coach a Cornell alum who would otherwise keep him around despite his poor performance?
Agreed, CULater. It's a meritocracy. Goaltending might be the most pure meritocracy there is.

In case the NHL doesn't work out...
Posted by: Erica (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: October 22, 2003 11:49AM

Matt McRae is in Qatar at the medical school working as a TA for James Maas' satellite Psych 101 class. No, really...
maybe there is room for Undy

Date: October 22, 2003 12:28PM

Wow, I didn't expect such a harsh response.

While I agree that goaltending is a meritocracy, it's also a position that requires longer development in the minors than most. My thought was that considering he was in the parent club's camp in preseason, maybe they'd give him a little more of a chance than two games to prove himself in the AHL. But it's an extra salary on the payroll, so they let him go. Hence my comment.

Maybe that was emotional thinking, but it's what I thought. Sue me.

JH

Date: October 22, 2003 12:44PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

Wow, I didn't expect such a harsh response. ... Maybe that was emotional thinking, but it's what I thought. Sue me.
Why sue you when we can just disagree with you and have a discussion? I'm not sure what you thought was so harsh.

Anyway, they gave Underhill more than a 2 game tryout. They gave him an invitation to training camp and THEN a two game tryout. It sounds more like a thoughtful decision than a snap judgment. And even if goalies may need seasoning, they don't necessarily need it in Manchester. If Undy distinguishes himself in Florence, he'll get another chance. That's the beauty of the meritocracy.

Date: October 22, 2003 01:10PM

Yeah, I guess that's fair. As I said, it was an emotional reaction.

I guess I was just a bit frustrated. He's in LA... no, they just assigned him to Manchester...nope, sorry, down to Florence...hey, on second thought, come back no Manchester...no, never mind, back to Florence.

It's a tough life this meritocracy.

JH

Posted by: Pete (---.253.86.124-dhcp.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: October 22, 2003 02:02PM

nice article about Nieuwendyk on NHL.com:

[www.nhl.com]

Date: October 22, 2003 02:33PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:

It's a tough life this meritocracy.
Heh. Sure is. Glad that my job ain't like that.

Date: October 22, 2003 05:57PM

I thought that Underhill was released because Hnilicka, Manchester's other goalie, recovered from his injury.

Date: October 25, 2003 02:24PM

Murray got his first point as a pro last night with Cleveland, an assist on the Barons first goal. He was +4 for the night.

looks like lenny is getting a little more comfortable
Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2003 09:40AM

Looks like Lenny could finally be getting settled in in springfield. He stopped 33 of 34 shots in a 2-1 win over Albany.

[www.falconsahl.com]

Re: looks like lenny is getting a little more comfortable
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 11:51AM

Nice... and the only goal he let up was during a 5-on-3

Re: looks like lenny is getting a little more comfortable
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2003 03:38PM

Well, of course Lenny would get the win...he's played and won there before, after all. ;-)

Baby
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: October 27, 2003 07:28PM

Bâby played in his second game yesterday, 10/26, and got an assist and was +1 in the Wolves 5-4 win.

Re: Baby
Date: October 28, 2003 08:06AM

Glad to see he's finally playing. Was he just a healthy scratch or was he injured?

JH

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.goosck01.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 29, 2003 04:08PM

I was at last night's Florence @ South Carolina game - Mark McRae got plenty of ice time. He was used mostly at left defense on the third blueline pair. He had a few good scoring chances, was the recipient of several hard hits. He wasn't on the ice for any of the goals against (the Stingrays won 3-0).

Underhill didn't dress - the Pride's new goalie, Sebastian LaPlante, was in net last night, with former Yale sieve Dan Lombard dressed as the backup.

Date: October 29, 2003 06:28PM

Manchester added Underhill to active roster on 10/28. He will return to Florence as soon as Monarchs' injured goaltenders recover.

Date: October 29, 2003 07:16PM

Seems like Paolini is enjoying life in the ECHL so far. He has 10 pts (5 goals, 5 assists) in 5 games for the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies.

No Baby
Posted by: jkahn (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 29, 2003 11:51PM

Went to see the Wolves tonight. I was hoping to write a full report here, but he was a scratch. The place was empty - announced attendance was 3114 but it had to be about 1000. They should play Bâby if only to bring in some local fans.
Other recognizable names were Brad Tapper (RPI) for the Wolves and Casey Hankinson (Minn.) and Mike Mottau (BC) for the Cincy Mighty Ducks. There were no programs available, so there were probably others I missed. When Bâby was announced as a scratch before gametime, it took away my raison d'aller. Wish I could call ahead for scratches..

Date: October 31, 2003 12:39AM

Nice little goalie war (friendly, I'm sure) going on in Springfield. 4 days after Lenny's impressive showing against Albany (stopping 33 of 34 shots for a 2-1 win that dramatically improved his stats), J-M Pelletier stopped all 27 shots he faced on Wednesday night for a 1-0 overtime win at home vs. Norfolk. The Falcons (that's Springfield) play twice this weekend, so I'm sure they'll split the time in net.

Their stats, by the way:

LeNeveu: in 3 games played, he's 2-1. GAA: 2.68. Save %: .875
Pelletier: in 4 games played, he's 2-2. GAA: 2.96. Save %: .901

The amazing thing is that Pelletier has faced 57 more shots this season. Subtract perhaps 25 of them because of the extra game played, but still - Lenny just seems to see less shots than anyone else! Same thing as last year. In fact, in his 1 loss, he only saw 14 shots (and sadly, stopped only 11 of them).

Finally, quick note: the Cleveland Barons (Murray) play twice this weekend, and the Chicago Wolves (Bâby) play three times.

Post Edited (10-31-03 00:49)

Re: Raison
Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2003 10:58AM

Don't you mean....raison d'etre? :-D

In the hockey sense, of course.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: October 31, 2003 06:00PM

C'était son «raison d'aller» parce qu'il est allé pour voir M. Bâby. Pourquoi il est, c'est une question philosophique.

Date: October 31, 2003 11:04PM

Bâby's mixing it up in Chicago...he got a 5 minute major for fighting 10 minutes into the first period tonight.

[pointstreak.com]

Posted by: RichS (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 01, 2003 04:05AM

John,

Merci, mais j'ai oublier le plupart de mon francais!

:-D

Re: No Baby
Posted by: Jay Fisher (---.tnt81.chi5.da.uu.net)
Date: November 02, 2003 12:37PM

Bâby played in the Wolves game last night and scored his first goal in a 4-3 Wolves win. The Wolves scored the last four goals of the game.

Jay Fisher '90

Baby's first pro goal
Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 02:28PM

Mentioning Bâby's first pro goal
[www.dailyherald.com]

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 02:40PM

Paolini and Mark McRae getting early notice in the season on Hockeysfuture.. Hopefully they can keep their A game all the way.. :-)

[hockeysfuture.com]

Posted by: melissa (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 07:29PM

I also noticed when looking at the week's AHL stats that Murray had a +4 night recently. Sounds like a lot of the graduated seniors are impressing their pro teams - albeit in differing ways.

Date: November 02, 2003 08:23PM

Yesterday, LeNeveu made 35 saves en route to a 3-3 tie. Earlier today, J-M Pelletier made 32 saves in a 3-2 win.

Of the three goals LeNeveu let in, by the way, one was a PPG, one was a SHG.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: November 02, 2003 08:25PM

Nieuwendyk scratched for "unknown" reason in tonight's Leafs game. Any insights?

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 09:28AM

There's a poll on the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies' main page asking which rookie was most impressive in his Bullies debut. Out of the six choices, Sam Paolini's got 48% of the vote. He's also third in the ECHL in scoring with 12 points in 7 games.
[www.boardwalkbullies.com]

Of course, he's still not getting that much respect...the Bullies' roster lists his birthplace as Toronto and his previous team as Port Huron of the UHL.

Post Edited (11-03-03 09:30)

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2003 04:50PM

Alex F. '03 wrote:
Of course, he's still not getting that much respect...the Bullies' roster lists his birthplace as Toronto and his previous team as Port Huron of the UHL.
Thankfully, that appears to have been fixed. Also, four of the five people Sam's ahead of on that poll are also recent NCAA grads... John Sabo (BU), Josh Prudden (UNH), Jon Cullen (St. Cloud), Brian Fahey (Wisconsin). Just for what it's worth. :-)

Posted by: LB (---.generalmills.com)
Date: November 05, 2003 04:05PM

Paolini got named Rookie of the Month in the ECHL

[www.echl.com]

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 05, 2003 06:00PM

I'm planning to go see Travis Bell of the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs play at the Fort Worth Brahmas this Saturday. T-Bell Page He seems to have played in all 6 of their games, but is 0-0-0, -2.

Another old friend plays for Ft. Worth: Sieve

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.larc.nasa.gov)
Date: November 06, 2003 12:06PM

Paolini's Rookie of the Month honor has been moved to:

[www.echl.com]

Date: November 08, 2003 03:40AM

Tonight in the AHL...

For Springfield, JMP had 31 saves on 34 shots in a 3-0 loss to Norfolk. LeNeveu to start Sat. night.

Chicago lost 2-1; Bâby was a -1 on the night.

Cleveland, up 4-1 with less than 8 minutes to go, managed to lose 5-4 in overtime to Toronto. Murray's +/- was even.

Date: November 08, 2003 08:46PM

Another article on Paolini, from the front page of ECHL.com:
[www.echl.com]

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.169.116.234.ts46v-08.otn-c2.ftwrth.tx.charter.)
Date: November 09, 2003 12:33AM

Bell's Mudbugs beat a pathetic Fort Worth Brahmas team tonight, 3-2. Unfortunately, Travis finished 0-0-0, -1 (assuming they count 6x5 goals in +/-?). We cheered for him wearing Cornell gear, and he smiled and waved.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2003 01:14AM

Lenny got the 4-3 loss to Hartford tonight, making 40 saves... I feel bad for Lenny, but go Wolf Pack! ;-)

Date: November 09, 2003 05:11PM

SOG for the game were 44-19 in favor of Hartford. Of the 4 goals LeNeveu let in, 1 was a power play goal and 1 was a shorthanded goal assisted by Dominic Moore twitch (I didn't realize Moore had been sent back down by the Rangers....)

Lenny's stats now:

GP MIN W L T SO GA GAA SV SV%
5 303:51 2 2 1 0 15 2.96 131 0.897

For Chicago, Bâby had an unfortunate -2 night in a 3-3 tie with Manitoba (and is -3 through 7 games played). He also had a roughing penalty in overtime
uhoh

And in Cleveland, Murray had a quiet night in a 2-2 tie with Rochester. He is +2 on the season, through 11 games played.

And that's the weekly Lenny/Bâby/Murray AHL report :-P .......

Post Edited (11-09-03 17:12)

Date: November 11, 2003 05:57PM

Pelletier made 27 saves in a 1-0 loss on Sunday. He's now 3-4-0 with a GAA of 2.56 and a SV% of .917.

LeNeveu made 27 saves in a 3-1 loss earlier this afternoon. That brings his GAA up to a 2.98 and his SV% down to .898. He's 2-3-1.

Date: November 16, 2003 03:48PM

Lots to report.

First, in the AHL:

On Friday night, Pelletier allowed 3 goals on 34 shots in a 3-3 tie with Worcester. Last night, down 3-0 to Manchester, Springfield, with LeNeveu in goal, battled back to win 4-3 in overtime. Lenny had 31 saves on 34 shots, improving his personal record to 3-3-1 on the season. Matt Underhill, who was called up from Florence by Manchester, did not play last night and hasn't played since a week or two ago, when he had 20 saves on 21 shots in a win. Next weekend, Manchester and Springfield play twice, so we may see a matchup between 2 Cornell goalies. Nothing to report as far as Bâby or Murray go, although with a combined 3 points in a combined 23 games, neither has been producing much at all.

In the ECHL:

Apparently, Shane Palahicky (of the Alaska Aces) is out with a concussion :-/ . Paolini still seems to be doing a good job with the Boardwalk Bullies, with 12 points in 8 games. And Mark McRae is playing very well for the Florence Pride. He has 3 goals (2 of which were game-winners) and 2 assists in 11 games, and he had the highest +/- rating of all the defensemen on the team (+6).

Date: November 17, 2003 04:49PM

There has been a little corruption of the hockeydb - because this isn't the Ryan Hughes I went to school with.

[www.knoxvilleicebears.com]

Post Edited (11-17-03 16:49)

Date: November 22, 2003 03:02PM

Doug Murray had a goal last night as Cleveland and Toronto tied 4-4. He was a +1 for the night.

Tonight, Manchester plays Springfield; outside possibility of an Underhill vs. LeNeveu matchup....

Posted by: rsafploc 03 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2003 03:46PM

Afraid that CU goalie matchup won't be possible. Underhill got dropped from Manchester bout a week ago. The other temp goalie was just on fire for Manchester. Sure's great that Doug finally got his first AHL goal though.

Posted by: Section A (---.psych.cornell.edu)
Date: November 24, 2003 01:56PM

Well Springfield's two-game weekend set against Manchester didn't go too well. JMP gave up 5 goals on 40 shots in a 5-2 loss and LeNeveu gave up 5 goals on only 26 shots in a 6-3 (ENG) loss. Lenny's stats are GAA = 3.20 and SV% = .890 (in 8 games played).

Through 15 games played, Murray may only have 2 points (1 G, 1 A), but his +2 rating is the second best on the team among defensemen.

Unfortunately, Bâby continues to struggle, with a -10 rating through 12 games (the worst such rating on the Chicago Wolves roster), and with only 2 points (1 G, 1 A).

Matt Underhill, back with the Florence Pride, ALSO gave up five goals this weekend (meaning that 4 CU goalies, former or current, gave up 5 each over the weekend....yes, I'm counting McKee....) . Mark McRae, playing defense in front of Underhill, has the best +/- rating on the team. Elsewhere in the ECHL, Paolini continued his rampage with a goal and an assist this past weekend and he leads Atlantic City in points.

Post Edited (11-24-03 16:47)

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2003 10:39PM

Well, I was curious to seeing how the Cornellians who already broke into the NHL are doing:

Joe Nieuwendyk (TOR): 12 GP, 3 G, 3 A
Brad Chartrand (LAK): 15 GP, 0 G, 2 A

However, Kent Manderville turned up missing in the usual player search for this season. Looks like the Penguins didn't sign him for this year, and I just found this. He'll be playing in Sweden: [www.eliteprospects.com]

And as a bonus, the Kings have been playing 1st round pick and Ithaca native Dustin Brown, who got his first NHL goal on Saturday in Denver. 19 GP, 1 G, 2 A
[sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2003 01:45AM

I was bored and futzing around HockeyDB earlier tonight and seeing where some of our former players have wound up, and among the things I discovered:

- David Kozier played for the Isle of Wight Raiders of the English Premier League last season and registered 70-64-134 in 37 games. (Apparently they don't play much defense over there.) He then led the league in playoff scoring with another 22-14-38 in 10 playoff games. He's playing this year with the Manchester Phoenix of the Elite Ice Hockey League, which is apparently a higher level. He has 4-6-10 in 18 games so far this season.

- Playing in the same league is Jeff Burgoyne, who has 1-8-9 in 18 games for the Cardiff Devils. In his profile on the team's website, Burgoyne lists the 1996 championship as the highlight of his career to date.

- Travis Bell, as has been reported, plays for the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs of the CHL, and has 2A in 15 games this season. One of his teammates is the "legendary" Dan Wildfong, formerly of Colgate; over the course of 5 seasons with the Mudbugs, Wildfong has amassed 952 penalty minutes.

- Tony Bergin was with the same team from 1998-99 though 2002-03. In five seasons, Bergin registered 63-102-165. He also had a teammate named Chris Chelios. No, not that Chris Chelios.

- Mike Rutter is playing for the Odessa Jackalopes of the CHL. He led the team in scoring with 22-48-70 in 64 games last season, and has registered 6-10-16 in 17 games so far this season.

- David Francis was Rutter's teammate with the Jackalopes last season. Francis totalled 12-14-26 in 64 games. Not sure where or whether Francis is playing this season.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2003 02:05AM

[q]and registered 70-64-134 in 37 games[/q]

wow

Date: November 27, 2003 10:44AM

134 points in 37 games ?? Good lord.

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2003 11:24AM

Speaking of alumni, what is the extent of Joe's injury and how did he sustain it?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.verona01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2003 07:09PM

According to the Leafs' website, Joe has back spasms, "suffered a setback" in the team's game in Calgary on the 18th, is skating with the team without contact, and will possibly play during their current roadtrip, which spans games in Atlanta tonight (for which he's listed as a scratch due to back spasms), Ottawa on Saturday, and New York on Sunday.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: November 27, 2003 09:39PM

An interesting read...not sure when it was written.

[q]Kozier putting up Gretzky-like numbers in England

By Ted Clarke - Citizen Staff

David Kozier, welcome to the Wayne Gretzky club - the exclusive domain of hockey players who score twice as many points as their peers.

Kozier, the former Spruce Kings forward, is putting up some Gretzkyseque numbers this season playing for the Isle of Wight (England) Raiders.

In 39 games for the English National Premier League team, he has 69 goals and 65 assists for 134 points, the second-highest total in the league.

"I didn't know what to expect when I got here," said Kozier, a native of Terrace who graduated with an economics degree after four seasons of NCAA college hockey at Cornell University.

"The games are a lot higher scoring than what we're used to at home. We won 9a week ago) 7-5 and that's pretty typical. If you get scored on you just go out and score another one. I get a lot of icetime and I'm on the power play all the time so I think I've been averaging close to four points a game."

Kozier describes the Premier League as a wide-open, very-little-defence version of the BCHL.

"It's pretty wide-open and end-to-end and a lot of North American coaches would be pulling their hair out if they had to deal with it," he said. "The hockey the -play over here is very North American-style, much more than it is European-style. It's a physical game and it's not really different at all from North America."

The 11 teams in the ENPL are limited to four import players and the rest are British subjects, many of whom were born in England and raised in Canada. There are three ice hockey leagues in England. The Super League is the top league, made up mostly of Canadian players, and the next step down is the British National League, which limits its import players to eight. Kozier is contemplating a move to one of the higher leagues next season. He played one game for Basingstoke Bison of the BNL and scored a hat trick against a super League team.

"I turned some heads in that game, which is good because I'd definitely like to play next season in the BNL. It's a good level of hockey and it would be perfect for me. There is quite a difference between the three leagues, for sure."

Kozier is living in Ryde, a seaside resort town on the Isle of Wight, a small island in the English Channel off the coast of Portsmouth.

"I enjoy living here. The rink is right on the ocean. The weather hasn't been great but I definitely like the lifestyle. We have to take a ferry to get anywhere and that makes the roadtrips a little longer, but it's all right."

Raiders fans are fanatical, even more so than Kozier was used to in North America, and the team averages crowds of about 1,000 a game.

"The fans aren't as aware of what's going on as Canadian fans but they like the excitement of a fast-paced game and they're more true fans, more passionate. They love the sport and they live and die with the team and I think that comes from football."

Isle of Wight sports a 22-13-4 fifth-place record in league play with seven games left in the season and are undefeated in the ENPL Cup series at 5-0-1.

The team is coached by Jason Coles, a former OHL player who also suits up for the Raiders. Kozier, who turns 25 in April, also helps teach the game to some younger Raiders.

Kozier put in two productive seasons with the Spruce Kings (1996-98) before moving on to the Big Red in Cornell. He had 75 goals and 78 assists for 153 points with the Kings and was team captain and team MVP his last year in the BCHL. Kozier and ex-Spruce King Denis Ladouceur helped the Big Red win the Eastern College Athletic Conference title in 2002 to cap a satisfying college career.

"Going to Cornell is the best decision I made," Kozier said. "I had the time of my life and really developed as a hockey player. It was an unreal experience. The main reason I came here was to do some traveling. I was thinking about playing minor pro in the States but I've done a lot of traveling there and decided to come here and I'm glad I made that decision too. It's been a lot of fun."

The money is good considering the team pays for his lodging. He wouldn't divulge his salary but said the best-paid players in the league net about 500 pounds a week. Kozier is hoping to get a job in the stock market in London. Because most teams play only on weekends with practice twice a week, his hockey schedule would allow him to work full-time. He has these words of advice for graduating junior players.

"For any guys out of j8unior I'd definitely recommend using their hockey to travel. It's an amazing opportunity and there are leagues all over Europe. Hockey is growing in this country and lots of other countries in Europe, so if they have a passport, they shouldn't be afraid to go after it."[/q]

Post Edited (11-27-03 21:40)

Date: November 28, 2003 02:16PM

[q][q]Raiders fans are fanatical, even more so than Kozier was used to in North America, and the team averages crowds of about 1,000 a game.

"The fans aren't as aware of what's going on as Canadian fans but they like the excitement of a fast-paced game and they're more true fans, more passionate. They love the sport and they live and die with the team and I think that comes from football."[/q][/q] It sounds as though he was talking about his junior experience, not his Cornell days.rolleyes

Posted by: ice the puck (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2003 08:45AM

Cowbell Guy,

It was great to meet you before the Mercyhurst game and pass along a small donation for ELynah. Thanks for a great site...

Baby
Date: November 30, 2003 02:46PM

Bâby scored in a 3-2 loss to Grand Rapids Friday night.
[www.chicagowolves.com]

Date: November 30, 2003 03:52PM

Lenny got his first AHL shutout last night.

[www.falconsahl.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2003 01:06AM

Saw Joe play tonight at MSG. He didn't seem to be showing any ill effects from injury, and he picked up two assists.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.we.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 01, 2003 10:36AM

In the last couple of days, Murray picked up his first goal and a few assists with the Barons. He's been taking some penalties, and apparently, hitting like a mack truck. People on hockeysfuture who are going to Barons games are impressed with his level of play.

Date: December 01, 2003 12:58PM

I got a chance to watch Murray play with the Barons this Friday in Cleveland. He played well, got two assists on two powerplay goals in the 5-4 win. He was on the first powerplay unit, first PK unit, and second defense line. He had some good Murray-like hits which were nice to see and a couple good powerplay slapshots on net :-) The game wasn't quite as physical as we're used to seeing here at Lynah, a lot more wide open, not sure if this is true of most AHL games, I haven't seen many.

Doug looks a lot more menacing without the facemask/cage. They were handing out Barons playercards at the game, so if I figure out how, I'll post Murrays card. Interesting side note, Grant Stevenson who played against Cornell with Minnesota State-Mankato is also playing with the Barons.

Date: December 01, 2003 05:17PM

I was curious to see how many shots per game Lenny (4-5-1) faces as compared to the struggling Pelletier (3-8-1). Plus I don't feel like doing work. SO......While JMP sees an average of 34 shots a game, LeNeveu sees 29. This probably helps explain Lenny's lower save percentage, and also seems to indicate that he gives up less rebounds, which is probably helping him do better now. And it's nice that he got a shutout in a 1-0 win the other night, saving all 30 shots that came his way.

I know some of this was mentioned, but I forget how much.......in addition to Bâby scoring a goal on Friday, he assisted on the game-winning goal on Saturday in a 4-1 win. On Saturday, he had a fighting major in what seems to have been a really physical game (74 total penalty minutes). Also, for the first time all season, he went an entire weekend with not being on the ice for an opponent's goal, perhaps suggesting he's playing better defensively as well as up front.

Posted by: cornelldavy (---.lowmrn01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2003 08:21PM

From the ECHL website:
2003-12-01 MARK MCRAE (D) placed on 7-day IR

[www.echl.com]

Date: December 07, 2003 01:46AM

Lenny had 26 saves in a 6-2 win yesterday. And JMP had 44 saves in a 3-3 tie tonight. When LeNeveu plays (this has been the trend all season), he just sees so many less shots, it's amazing. Sure it has something to do with limited rebounds, but it's getting a little strange...

Cleveland beat St. John's last night 4-1. Murray (who finished +1) didn't have a point, but I'm sure he made a difference if he played on the Penalty Kill: St. John's went 0 for 14 wow on the power play.

Bâby didn't play in either of Chicago's two games so far this weekend (not sure why), though the Wolves do play again tomorrow.

Date: December 14, 2003 12:49PM

Murray had an assist on Friday night and a PP goal on Saturday night. He continues to do really well.

Bâby has been used sparingly lately for Chicago, playing in only 2 of their last 5 games (including last night's game).

And for the first time all season, LeNeveu didn't start a weekend game. Not sure why. Usually he and Pelletier have been alternating starts, but JMP started both games, stopping 30 of 33 in the first (a 3-3 tie) and 27 of 28 in the second (a 4-1 win).

Re: Manderville in Sweden
Posted by: Jay Fisher (---.org)
Date: December 15, 2003 05:54PM

I had lost track of where Kent Manderville was and then I came across this item on espn.com:

Hi John!
Just thought I'd let you know that Podes isn't the only one coming over here to play hockey this season. Kent Manderville recently joined Timra here in Sweden to play in our Elitserien.
Krille
Sweden

[sports.espn.go.com]

Then I found this odd fan site at [www.kentmanderville.com]. Check it out.

Looks like Timra is in 6th place. Kent's played in 8 games and has 2 goals and 3 assists and 8 penalty minutes and a +/- of +2. Data from [www.swehockey.se]

Jay Fisher '90

Re: Manderville in Sweden
Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: December 16, 2003 09:02AM

Hmm - Kentmanderville.com definitely has to be one of the spookiest fan sites I've seen. Though I guess she actually was friends with him (and he with her), so I guess it's innocent enough! Still - what kind of person wants someone else's stinky game-worn gloves hanging on her bed? I mean, in a display case or something, I could understand.... help

Posted by: jy3 (---.natpool.uc.edu)
Date: December 16, 2003 02:40PM

are we updating joe N here too?

did anyone else see his brilliant goal the other day?
he batted out of mid-air. nice goal (sorry i cannot be more specific ;))

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: December 17, 2003 09:35AM

jy3 wrote:
did anyone else see his brilliant goal the other day?
Yes, I did see it. Announcers mentioned his outstanding hand-eye coordination, likely a product of his lacrosse experience.

Joe was scratched last night because of an "ankle injury."

Posted by: LB (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: December 19, 2003 02:05PM

Paolini and McRae both made the ECHL all-star team

[www.echl.com]

Neither of them are starters, so it is only a brief mention near the end of the article

Date: December 20, 2003 01:35AM

I know there was some mention earlier in the week of people wanting to see the Springfield Falcons visit the Hartford Wolf Pack tonight (Sat.). Well it looks like you'll be seeing Pelletier in net for Springfield, not LeNeveu. Lenny started tonight's game against the Portland Pirates after not starting either game last weekend and let's just say that it did NOT go well. He was pulled after only 5 minutes and 6 seconds after allowing 3 goals on 5 shots uhoh . It was the first time he had been pulled since that game at the WJC last year when he was pulled in favor of current Penguins #1 pick Marc-Andre Fleury. Anyway, Pelletier finished the game, saving 18 of 19, but the Falcons couldn't overcome the deficit and lost 4-1.

Bâby had a decent night even though his team lost 7-2. He had an assist on Chicago's first goal, as well as 9 penalty minutes that included yet another fighting major. He has 25 PIMs in 18 games. Murray (who was quiet in his game tonight) , by the way, also has 25 PIMS, but in 27 games.

Date: December 20, 2003 01:44AM

I forget where the question about Underhill was asked, but I'll just answer it here. He still plays for the Florence Pride, but he hasn't seen much action lately. He is 3-5-1 with a 3.44 GAA and an .893 SV %. Playing the majority of the games down in Florence lately has been Dan Lombard, though his personal stats are equally unimpressive (3-5, 3.37 GAA, .884 SV %). Anyhow, the last time Underhill played was on Friday December 12, a 6-4 loss to Roanoke in which he had 33 saves:

[www.echl.com]

Lombard has started the last three games, I believe.

Post Edited (12-20-03 01:45)

Chicago Wolves-Milwaukee Admirals Dec 19
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.doce.uwm.edu)
Date: December 20, 2003 12:07PM

Avash '05 wrote:
Bâby had a decent night even though his team lost 7-2. He had an assist on Chicago's first goal, as well as 9 penalty minutes that included yet another fighting major. He has 25 PIMs in 18 games.
I was at that game; I think Bâby was +1, since I didn't see him on the ice for any of the Wolves' 7 goals (although he was in the box for one). The assist was a really nice play, taking the puck away from an Admirals defender along the boards and delivering a pretty feed across the ice to a teammate who roofed it. The fight was pretty short, as they dropped the gloves right after the faceoff and Bâby pulled his man down to the ice before any punches landed. I think it was the second of two fights after the Wolves had let the game slip completely out of reach.

Bâby didn't get much ice time early, but took more and more shifts as the game went on. The Wolves got majorly outshot in the first and third period, and switched goalies (putting in the unfortunately-named Cassivi) after falling behind 4-1 early in the second.

Oh, and there were three teenaged girls sitting across the aisle from us in Wolves jerseys who seemed to know all the players (including the guy who scored a hat trick for Milwaukee after being traded from Chicago, for whom they still cheered). They were pleased that the PA announcer knew how to pronounce "Bâby", and after his fight I told them about the "Hey Bâby" song.

Posted by: Section A (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2003 01:15AM

Well, Lenny did start tonight's game against Hartford, but his 31 saves on 33 shots weren't enough as Hartford won 3-1 (with an ENG).

Posted by: Rita 00 (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2003 02:55AM

According to my brother, Matt Underhill did get the start for the florence pride tonight, however the blades beat them 5-1. I'm sorry that I don't have any other details, .. i was teaching my almost 3 yr nephew how to make christmas cookies, and he was teaching me the "hockey song" aka the national anthem (he goes to the everblades games, and well, that's the song they sing before they play hockey :-D ). I told him my favorite part was "...and the rockets RED glare...."

rita

ps... since this thread is getting quite long, maybe next year, we can break it into months.. i.e. Jan 04-cornell alum updates

Date: December 27, 2003 11:12PM

AHL:

In the past week, Springfield played 3 games (Sun, Fri, Sat) and Pelletier started all 3. And the Falcons lost all 3, all by only 1 goal. First was a 1-0 loss to Portland (24 saves) in which the Portland goalie had a 46-save shutout. Last night, Springfield lost to Hartford again, this time by a score of 2-1 (Pelletier had 25 saves). Tonight, the Falcons lost 4-3 to Lowell and JMP had 47 saves on 51 shots.

In Cleveland, Paolini's call up was indeed for only 1 game and was sent back down to Atlantic City the day after he registered his first AHL point. Murray had no points in tonight's 3-3 tie with Milwaukee.

In Chicago, Bâby had an assist (his 6th point of the season) in a 4-0 win tonight and he finished +2 for the game.

ECHL:

Mark McRae had a goal and an assist tonight in a 7-5 win.

Date: January 01, 2004 02:14PM

First of all, happy new year :-)

Well it's been mentioned in another thread that, last night, Lenny had an impressive 55 saves in a 4-1 win over Hartford (and by the way, Springfield was outshot 46-12 over the final two periods of that game!). Also, earlier in the week, he saved 33 of 34 shots in a 2-1 win over Worcester. Both games were on the road.

Murray had a good night last night too, scoring a power play goal in a 5-2 win for Cleveland over Manitoba. 3 of his 4 goals this season have come on the power play.

Re: Cornell alumni in the pros - Lennie
Posted by: Mike (---.gen.twtelecom.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 03:28PM

Although there is no guarantee that he won't get called up, hurt, or even be the starting goaltender, Springfield is playing the Binghamton Senators on Saturday, January 3rd. The game starts at 7:05 at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton. I don't know the ticket situation, but interested folks can call the B-Sens office at 722-SENS for information.

Mike

Re: Cornell alumni in the pros - Lennie
Posted by: Mike (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 02, 2004 04:26PM

I'm from Binghamton and just bought tickets about an hour ago to the game tomorrow night. You'd better hurry if you want to go. We got tickets in a corner section, the only other option was behind the goals. Lately all the B-Sens games have been sellouts, as surprising as that may be for Binghamton hockey.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 02, 2004 04:34PM

Page:  1 2Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login