Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

What is Faithful?

Posted by Dale 
What is Faithful?
Posted by: Dale (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2003 06:42PM

I'm just doing a little personal research and I would be interested in hearing from the cognoscenti who lurk hereabouts. What is/are the "Lynah Faithful?" What is it that makes one a member of the Lynah Faithful? What does the "Faithful" mean to you?

If this has already come up in past threads, please forgive me and ignore. Thank you.

Re: What is Faithful?
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 08, 2003 06:53PM

If you have to ask, you'll never know. :-P

Just kidding. I'll come up with a better, real answer a bit later.

Date: October 08, 2003 08:36PM

Okay, I should have seen that one coming! It's not that I don't have my own definition nor that I have any questions about my own "Faithful"ness (almost 20 years now, same seats, etc.), I just want to hear some other ideas. Thanks.

Posted by: Larry72 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2003 10:49PM

There are many definitions of being one of the Lynah Faithful. For me, it's been a love affair with Cornell Hockey that began as an Ithaca High School student in 1966 watching guys like Dryden, Lodboa, Ferguson and Ned. It lasted through four years at Cornell, a short time away from Ithaca and ever since I've lived, worked, and raised a family here.

It's been the ability to get to know a bunch of guys who played for Cornell and ended up in Ithaca...people like Ed Ambis, Bill Duthie, Wayne Stokes, Pete Tufford, Mike Schafer, Murray Death and others.

My "affair" with Cornell hockey is now multi-generational. And it's not just that I watched Brian McCutcheon play when I was a student and now his son Mark is freshman on the Big Red. I brought my two young sons to the games in the early to mid 1980s, introducing them to the Cornell Hockey tradition and to the game of hockey via Ithaca Youth Hockey.

My older son is now a senior at RPI, plays in the pep band and had the experience of playing in Lynah with the RPI pep band last season. He said there was nothing like it even though he was in the RPI band.

And my younger son...well, now you read his postings on this forum under CalgAri07. He's a freshman in the ILR school and has been a member of the Lynah Faithful since he was about 3 years old or so. At age 5 he told me that he'd go to Cornell one day and stand in Section "B". It might sound corny, but his love of Cornell hockey probably pushed him in school as much as anything to excel academically. And his seats are in "B".

I have friends all over the country who I went to Cornell with who always ask me about how Cornell Hockey is doing even though they haven't seen a game in many years. Last spring, I must have received several dozen e-mails and phone calls from Cornell classmates and others asking about the team during the Frozen Four run. They may not be able to be here for every game, but to me they will always be part of the Lynah Faithful.

Larry '72

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2003 06:42AM

Never booing our own team and never leaving a game early are two traditions that fit the literal definition of faithfulness.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 09, 2003 10:45AM

Amen, JTW. Even during 93-94, when the rink was only 2/3 full, and plenty of people were yelling "shoot" during the power plays, I really don't remember people booing. Also add "showing up for the warmups" to the list.

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: October 09, 2003 11:28AM

Bringing newspaper (the Sun when it is available) - which means getting to the game (at least) in time for introductions. Smuggling fish into the Harvard game. Going over the glass to celebrate a big win (even if they open the zamboni doors). Knowing the score of last night's game even though you haven't been to campus in five years. Getting sports bars to dedicate a TV to Cornell hockey during March Madness.

Post Edited (10-09-03 11:29)

Date: October 09, 2003 12:07PM

"Never booing our own team ..."

In my nearly 20 years, I do remember a time when there were a few boos from the crowd, but only a very few. I can't remember exactly which season it was, but it was only one or two games and only that one season.

Actually, shortly after Schafer arrived, there were a number of boos from the crowd at the end of the American anthem. The players had a habit of putting their helmets on and leaving the line well before the anthem ended and some people took offense. I admit, I did find it a bit offensive myself, especially since we always sing the Canadian anthem as well (unlike some other schools - can you say Hahvahd?!). At the time, it wasn't just a case of a few seconds early, they were moving away well before the end of the anthem. I e-mailed coach Schafer, not to complain myself, but just to let him know that some people in the crowd were not happy (I figured he couldn't hear the boos from the bench) and it must have worked because the players have been better about it ever since. I know I have never booed the Big Red!

Posted by: cquinn (---.goodrich.com)
Date: October 09, 2003 12:26PM

[Q]Going over the glass to celebrate a big win (even if they open the zamboni doors). [/Q]

You need a caveat on this one. Fans can't climb over the newer seamless glass at Lynah. The glass would break.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: October 09, 2003 02:07PM

Faithful is being one of only 12 in your entire senior class who voted to buy a new zamboni for Lynah as a class gift instead of spending the money on "campus beautification."

Faithful is flying to Grand Rapids in the middle of winter for an opening round NCAA game that the team has only the smallest of chances to win.

Faithful is driving three hours through an ice storm to get to the 4-5 play-in game in Lake Placid.

Faithful is coming back to campus on January 3rd to stay in a fraternity house where they've turned off the heat until classes start because there are home games between semesters.

Faithful is skipping spring break to ride 8 hours in the back seat of a Datsun 200SX to get to the ECAC tournament in Boston, then doing it two weeks later to get to the NCAA tournament in Providence.

Faithful is going to visit family 20 years after you graduated and locking yourself in the computer room for 2 hours to listen to the other conference tournaments so you can figure out where Cornell will be playing in the NCAAs.

Faithful is buying a Cornell hockey jersey for your 4 year old nephew who lives in Boston, just so he doesn't wind up with a BU one. This is after you gave him a toy zamboni for his 2nd birthday.

Faithful is hearing your brother-in-law tell you that if that same 4 year old nephew "gets a scholarship to Harvard, he's accepting it. Sorry." and you get upset.

JH

Posted by: rhovorka (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2003 02:09PM

Before I give my own answer, does anyone really know approximately when the term "Lynah Faithful" was coined?

To me, Faithful means...

...knowing that you'll see the same faces and hear the same cheers in your section every week.

...coming up with nicknames for people you don't know who are doing something amusing somewhere in the rink.

...doing the same routine before, during, and after games because the team is winning.

...planning roadtrips months in advance. Including tickets, places to stay, researching places to eat, getting driving directions, etc.

...driving countless miles to small towns that are hardly considered tourist destinations.

...finagling your work, school, or social schedule from October through April so you can leave early on Fridays to get to games.

...getting that "what do we do now?" feeling at 10 pm Friday night, wondering what you can do to fill the 20 hours before the doors open for the next game.

...grabbing a roster sheet to get the opposing goaltender's name and to see if there's any opposing player with a name worth making fun of.

...chuckling at "that guy" in your section who may have gone a little too far or botched a taunt, but still admiring his fire, spirit, and loudness.

...seeing the look on the faces of ushers and fans at other rinks when a small group of Cornellians just out-cheered their fans.

...answering the ushers at non-ECAC arenas that "yes...we did just drive all that way for this game."

...knowing that whatever bar you go to during roadtrips, you'll probably run into other members of the Faithful.

...calling the place where the games are played a "rink" instead of an "arena," "center," or "auditorium."

...seeking out places to find a stack of free newspapers.

...Knowing who the starting goaltender actually was for the 1970 undefeated, untied team.

...wandering the main street of a small town on a cold Saturday afternoon trying to find something to do besides seeing the lame movie playing in the only theater. And seeing several packs of red-clad nomads doing the same.

...learning stories from older fans, and telling stories to younger fans.

...shrugging off a major winter storm as a "small obstacle" that you'll drive through no matter how bad it really is.

...checking eLF and/or USCHO forum a little too often at work.

...sprinting down any concourse or aisle you can find, hugging anyone in Red you see doing the same after a playoff OT win.

...feeling a sharp rise in your blood pressure whenever you see the first Harvard player hit the ice.

...thinking the the mixed odors of fish, zamboni exhaust, hockey player funk, and beer smells pretty good.

...trying hard not to drop a spoiler on Lynah Chat.

...booing the Cleary Cup.

...getting to a radio or computer as fast as you can after games to catch the "out-of-town scoreboard."

...calculating the possible outcomes for PWR and KRACH on your laptop. (sometimes during the game, eh JTW?)

...finding out things like the "best wings in Rhode Island" still aren't very good.

...driving a half-hour into broadcast range of the radio broadcast and listening to the game in the car.

...giving in and going to Crossgates Mall again, even though you said you would try to find something else to do.

...thinking the atmosphere at pro hockey games is stifling and dead.

and my personal favs:
...asking your GRE Physics subject test proctor what the earliest time we can hand in our tests is because you know you have a 3-hour drive to Troy.

...that same trip, getting stuck on I-88 due to a jack-knifed semi, and finding that there are 3 cars full of Cornell fans next to you, so you all get out and listen to the 1st period on our radios.

...drinking out of the Whitelaw Cup.

Posted by: Ken71 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2003 05:16PM

I first heard the term "Lynah Faithful" in Sam Woodside's broadcasts of the games on WHCU in the late 60s. Sam was a classic.

Ken '71

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: October 09, 2003 06:40PM

Faithful is
.... having a team to root for that you always love and never get aggravated at
.... waiting on line and sleeping on line three days and nights for hockey tickets (yes there was a line back in Ned's era too).
.... telling your math professor who scheduled a prelim for Saturday of the ECAC's that you need to take a make-up because you are going to be in Boston for the tournament
.... when your math professor says he doesn't believe that's a good reason to give a make-up exam and says "you have to decide where your priorities are" telling him "I have decided. I'm going to Boston." (note: as I started to walk out, he said, "all right, I'll give you a make-up";).
.... going to 23 games of the 29-0 season
.... attending the ECAC'S 13 out of 14 years from '68 to '81, missing only one when I was sent by my company to the Bahamas to be basically an errand boy and coordinator with the home office during a Board of Director's meeting.
.... sitting in a rental car in the Bahamas listening to WBZ so I can get the Cornell hockey score
.... knowing the names, uniform numbers and usual lines of each player on the '67, '70 and '03 teams
.... watching the clip of Matt McRae's goal over and over again
.... knowing that I could add a few hundred more items to this post
.... loving this website

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2003 10:48PM

Rich H '96 wrote:
...calculating the possible outcomes for PWR and KRACH on your laptop. (sometimes during the game, eh JTW?)
Hey, it was only during the intermissions. :-D

Date: October 10, 2003 08:24AM

With several others of us gathered around you, John, waiting for the results nut

JH

Posted by: ice the puck (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2003 09:24AM

Lynah Faithful also includes sitting in the rink from 2pm until the 7 pm start with the doors locked just to get a seat to watch the St.Lawrence game (1961). Or reaching out over the dasher boards, (no glass back then ) to "tug" an opponent. or watching John Hughes 1970 game winner "replay" in Lake Placid because the first one was whistled off-side, but nobody heard it. and so on

Posted by: Felix Rodriguez (65.223.150.---)
Date: October 10, 2003 02:32PM

Faithful is:

... Cheering on your team even after they lost to their arch-rivals for the league title.
... Never, EVER booing a player, even if he just had the most idiotic play of his life.

Glass?
Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 10, 2003 02:37PM

When did the glass go up? It's hard to imagine the game without glass or the bedlam that might occur if the fans and "access" to the opposing players (and vice versa).

Posted by: David Harding '72 (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: October 11, 2003 04:55PM

Or having a player land in your lap when he was knocked over the boards.

I also remember from that era helping to hold in place the chain link fence that above the boards at the ends (about as high as the current glass on the sides) after a vigourous check in the corner dislodged it.
Were there season tickets in the Paul Patten days? I just remember showing up with my buddy whose father had two athletics coupon books. When did they start selling season tickets?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: October 11, 2003 11:07PM

David Harding '72 wrote:

Or having a player land in your lap when he was knocked over the boards.

I also remember from that era helping to hold in place the chain link fence that above the boards at the ends (about as high as the current glass on the sides) after a vigourous check in the corner dislodged it.
Were there season tickets in the Paul Patten days? I just remember showing up with my buddy whose father had two athletics coupon books. When did they start selling season tickets?
Through 65-66 you just showed up (albeit, after the arrival of Ned, 90 minutes before game time) with your CUAA coupon book and walked in.

Date: October 13, 2003 03:01PM

Thank you all for your interesting responses to my original question. Now, if I may, I would like to add a little twist to the question. What are or should be the rewards fro being one of the "Faithful?" No need to duplicate an earlier answer as I realize that some of the answers you all gave before could apply to the twist as well. Just curious if the twist changes your responses in any way. TIA.

Posted by: Robb '94 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 13, 2003 03:05PM

The ultimate reward for being Faithful is the endorphine rush that you get when McRae scores an overtime goal to beat BC and go to the Frozen Four. The more you've invested emotionally up to that point, the greater the payoff! B-]

Date: October 13, 2003 05:12PM

The main reward is the enjoyment of seeing the team win and themories that last a lifetime (barring Alzheimer's of course nut ).

A secondary reward is being able to talk trash with your co-workers who went to RPI, Huntsville, Clarkson, etc.

JH

Date: October 13, 2003 05:54PM

Dale, are you trying to see if we think there should be an actual material reward for being one of the Faithful? Such as, perhaps, being able to automatically renew your hold on the seats of the previous year or perhaps being able to move up in seat ranking i.e., towards B if not in B already? (Or maybe having the privilege of not getting dicked over by the Harvard ticket office? :-D )

Date: October 13, 2003 06:10PM

The main reward is having something that is both constantly changing and still a permanent link to my younger days. I think that is the root of most sports fandom and Cornellians are really no different than the rest of the world. Even if the rest of the world foolishly chooses to live and die with more pedestrian sports, instead of college hockey - THE SINGLE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENT OF THE AMERICAN EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM.

Oh, and it allows me to be obsessive in a socially acceptable way.

Post Edited (10-13-03 19:16)

Date: October 13, 2003 06:42PM

Jeff, if you feel the need to talk trash with co-workers who went to Alabama-Huntsville then you seriously need help :-D

Date: October 13, 2003 09:30PM

Keith K '93 wrote:

Jeff, if you feel the need to talk trash with co-workers who went to Alabama-Huntsville then you seriously need help :-D

Oh, like most people who went to 'bama have actually heard of their hockey team...or heard of hockey for that matter...:-P

Actually, I don't know how popular the hockey program is down in Huntsville. I guess being the south's only D-I hockey program must count for something, though.

Posted by: Section A (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 01:18AM

I don't think hockey is too popular down there; only 1636 showed up for their home finale last season, in a rink with a capacity of 7000.

Posted by: vicb (---.s176.tnt1.clmb.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 07:07AM

A true Lynah Faithful would support the Big Red by going to USCHO Community Forum and joining in my annual ECAC Pick the Standings Contest :-D .

Posted by: vicb (---.s176.tnt1.clmb.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 07:09AM

Sorry, here is the link.

[board.uscho.com]

Date: October 14, 2003 11:42AM

Dale, are you trying to see if we think there should be an actual material reward for being one of the Faithful? Such as, perhaps, being able to automatically renew your hold on the seats of the previous year or perhaps being able to move up in seat ranking i.e., towards B if not in B already? (Or maybe having the privilege of not getting dicked over by the Harvard ticket office?

Actually, as a regular season ticket holder, I already have a hold on my seats and an opportunity to move around if I want to take a chance. More than likely, I can get dicked by the Harvard ticket office as well. I really do want to hear what people think, but deep down I am thinking about respect from our own ticket office as much as anything. Starting with the way Frozen Four tickets were parceled out to the Faithful last spring to the new ticket policies this year, I am not feeling very faithful. So, I do have some of my own thoughts, but really appreciate hearing all of yours.

Date: October 14, 2003 12:23PM

Actually, my friend who roots for Huntsvile is pretty hockey literate. He grew up in CT, but was stationed in Alabama, where he met his wife who went to Huntsville (I think he actually got his degree elsewhere). He coaches youth hockey locally, and has three sons who all play too. According to him, his youngest son actually "went to his first hockey game when he was just a few days old."

The trash talk was more from his wife than him. I think he knew better. It came down to "We'll show those yankees a thing or two about hockey!" and me sending her a link to the TBRW championship pages. Of course after the games were played I heard no response. Action talks, BS walks.

JH

Date: October 14, 2003 12:30PM

Big Red Apple:

You must have some interesting friends that find obsession with college hockey to be socially acceptable. Most of my friends can't understand an obsession with hockey, whether pro or college. The few who can are Lehigh grads who obsess about wrestling like we do about hockey.

Here in eastern PA it's football, football and more football. Though most real football fans can accept that someone might take an interest in the Flyers.

JH

Date: October 14, 2003 02:17PM

OK, you weren't trash talking with a UAH person. You were just slapping her down when she tried trash talking at you. Very appropriate.

Date: October 14, 2003 02:23PM

Jeff Hopkins '82 wrote:
You must have some interesting friends that find obsession with college hockey to be socially acceptable. Most of my friends can't understand an obsession with hockey, whether pro or college. The few who can are Lehigh grads who obsess about wrestling like we do about hockey.
Socially acceptable, not easily understood.

Date: October 14, 2003 08:38PM

People often are willing to except sports fanaticism, even if they don't have a clue why you care so much.

If nothing else, my hockey obsession is understood by my Faithful friends, even if I usually only "see" them in an IRC chat room.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login