Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

ECAC Early and Grad Departures 2024

Posted by Chris '03 
ECAC Early and Grad Departures 2024
Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.79.---)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:17PM

With all the transfer portal stuff and with folks starting to leave early, may as well kick off a thread to track ECAC movement.

Quillan left Q: [www.uscho.com]

Re: ECAC Early and Grad Departures 2024
Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:21PM

This didn’t mention the guy I was expecting to see.

[www.prohockeyrumors.com]

Seger not on the list and I sure hope the two that are aren’t thinking about leaving.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.132.---)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:23PM

Cooper Black gone: [x.com]

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:33PM

VIEWfromK

Seger not on the list and I sure hope the two that are aren’t thinking about leaving.

Seger’s on a list of centers that’s linked on that homepage

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:37PM

VIEWfromK

This article is specifically about wingers. It links to another one about centers which lists Seger. Idk if the author is reputable but despite what he says, Bancroft was not a bottom 6 forward last year.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:43PM

Yea sorry but he loses a lot of credibility saying Psenicka is a flight risk, barring something unknown (grades, off-ice issue, etc etc). I think he picked two big wingers in the lineup with decent numbers and just threw it on a page for clicks.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:48PM

CU2007
Yea sorry but he loses a lot of credibility saying Psenicka is a flight risk, barring something unknown (grades, off-ice issue, etc etc). I think he picked two big wingers in the lineup with decent numbers and just threw it on a page for clicks.
I mean, I doubt Psenicka leaves but he and Bancroft are the two biggest flight risks on the team this year I think. Psenicka was indeed getting some looks a couple years ago and has been invited to NHL camps the past two summers I believe.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:49PM

CU2007

Seems about right

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-192-8.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 10:19PM

Seger still has a grad year? Go to another school? I think both Bancroft and Ondrej would be nuts to go pro now. Their games are nowhere near ready for NHL and do they want to toil away in the ECHL or AHL versus getting coached maximally by Schaf to be as ready as possible. Minor league money is not that good.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2024 10:38PM by arugula.

Date: April 01, 2024 11:02PM

arugula
Seger still has a grad year? Go to another school? I think both Bancroft and Ondrej would be nuts to go pro now. Their games are nowhere near ready for NHL and do they want to toil away in the ECHL or AHL versus getting coached maximally by Schaf to be as ready as possible. Minor league money is not that good.
Seger played 4 years + sat out the COVID year, so his eligibility is exhausted.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 08:07AM

ECAC Portal pick ups so far:

Clarkson: Ethan Langenegger, G, Lake Superior State
Quinnipiac: Jack Ricketts, F, Holy Cross
St. Lawrence: Dominic Basse, G, St. Cloud

Date: April 02, 2024 08:08AM

Players who have entered the portal:
4 Brown
2 Clarkson
6 Colgate
0 Cornell
2 Dartmouth
2 Harvard
5 Princeton
1 Quinnipiac
6 RPI
6 St. Lawrence
3 Union
4 Yale

NMU has 11 guys in the portal. Stonehill has 12.

Date: April 02, 2024 08:12AM

There are two men and four women in the portal who have 4 years of eligibility left. Huh?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2024 08:12AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 08:33AM

Trotsky
There are two men and four women in the portal who have 4 years of eligibility left. Huh?

Redshirt

Date: April 02, 2024 08:38AM

One of the Colgate players in the portal is Ryan MGuire, Pierre’s son. Ryan had a productive sophomore year and I’m surprised he’s looking for greener pastures. I imagine he’ll have plenty of suitors.

Date: April 02, 2024 10:20AM

I am hoping Ayrton Martino of Clarkson signs a pro deal. Third round draft pick of Dallas and one of Clarkson’s leading scorers each of his three college seasons. You’d think he would be a good candidate to sign a pro deal, but maybe the Stars don’t have the space. Given Clarkson’s season ended weeks ago, I guess he’ll unfortunately be back.

Of course, if you root for a strong ECAC, you would prefer that Martino return for his senior season. Preferring a strong ECAC would also mean rooting for Colin Graf to stay, for Macklin Celebrini to transfer for Harvard for his sophomore season, etc.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-216-248.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 11:18AM

Let’s assume, as has generally been the case the past few seasons, that (1) Cornell doesn’t gain anybody from the portal, (2) Cornell doesn’t lose anyone to the portal, (3) the blue bloods/top power conference schools and Quinnipiac are clear net winners from the portal and (4) most of the rest of the NCAA are clear net losers from the portal.

How does this impact:
1. Our odds of winning the ECAC championship
2. Our odds of making the NCAAs
3. Our odds of winning once we get to the NCAAs

And, how does your answer change after the fifth year of eligibility goes away after next season?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-243.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 11:43AM

As someone who has anxiety about whether or not bad things HAVE happened, anxiety about whether or not bad things WILL happen sounds exhausting.

Also, we got Seger through the portal, so it can work for us. But we don't exactly have a lot of room for newcomers unless something changes for the worse.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: April 02, 2024 01:31PM

BearLover
Let’s assume, as has generally been the case the past few seasons, that (1) Cornell doesn’t gain anybody from the portal, (2) Cornell doesn’t lose anyone to the portal, (3) the blue bloods/top power conference schools and Quinnipiac are clear net winners from the portal and (4) most of the rest of the NCAA are clear net losers from the portal.

How does this impact:
1. Our odds of winning the ECAC championship
2. Our odds of making the NCAAs
3. Our odds of winning once we get to the NCAAs

And, how does your answer change after the fifth year of eligibility goes away after next season?

Please show your work.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 01:52PM

BearLover
I am hoping Ayrton Martino of Clarkson signs a pro deal. Third round draft pick of Dallas and one of Clarkson’s leading scorers each of his three college seasons. You’d think he would be a good candidate to sign a pro deal, but maybe the Stars don’t have the space. Given Clarkson’s season ended weeks ago, I guess he’ll unfortunately be back.

Of course, if you root for a strong ECAC, you would prefer that Martino return for his senior season. Preferring a strong ECAC would also mean rooting for Colin Graf to stay, for Macklin Celebrini to transfer for Harvard for his sophomore season, etc.

I gave a wry smile at the Celebrini comment. Love your work BL. Truly a dog with a bone.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-50.myvzw.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 02:15PM

Dafatone
As someone who has anxiety about whether or not bad things HAVE happened, anxiety about whether or not bad things WILL happen sounds exhausting.

Also, we got Seger through the portal, so it can work for us. But we don't exactly have a lot of room for newcomers unless something changes for the worse.

We'll if anyone is looking for a better coach or a better engineering program. But Bennet is gone and Seger was a one off.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 04:42PM

scoop85
One of the Colgate players in the portal is Ryan MGuire, Pierre’s son. Ryan had a productive sophomore year and I’m surprised he’s looking for greener pastures. I imagine he’ll have plenty of suitors.

McGuire's going to Northeastern.

Posted by: Swampy (---.datapacket.com)
Date: April 02, 2024 09:20PM

scoop85
scoop85

McGuire's going to Northeastern.

This may be another way a weak ECAC affects the landscape. Players looking for greener pastures may be attracted by the alleged superiority of HE.

Posted by: Troyfan (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 07:04AM

Trotsky
4 Brown
2 Clarkson
6 Colgate
0 Cornell
2 Dartmouth
2 Harvard
5 Princeton
1 Quinnipiac
6 RPI
6 St. Lawrence
3 Union
4 Yale

That has to be encouraging for Cornell, that on a roster where there are more good players than playing time, they all want to stay (if I understand portal business correctly). Other programs might have to spend some time looking in their mirrors!

I look at this that evidence that Coach Schaefer is doing a good job off the ice as well as on it. He's not inducing, overselling, or exaggerating Cornell or the hockey program but presenting them honestly and the young men are indeed finding the experience as he described it or better.

Still, it would have been nice if Malone and Tupker had stuck around.

Date: April 03, 2024 08:45AM

BearLover
Players going pro is a tremendous sign of strength. I hope all our opponents get kneecapped by early flight.

Date: April 03, 2024 09:36AM

Troyfan
Trotsky
4 Brown
2 Clarkson
6 Colgate
0 Cornell
2 Dartmouth
2 Harvard
5 Princeton
1 Quinnipiac
6 RPI
6 St. Lawrence
3 Union
4 Yale

That has to be encouraging for Cornell, that on a roster where there are more good players than playing time, they all want to stay (if I understand portal business correctly). Other programs might have to spend some time looking in their mirrors!

I look at this that evidence that Coach Schaefer is doing a good job off the ice as well as on it. He's not inducing, overselling, or exaggerating Cornell or the hockey program but presenting them honestly and the young men are indeed finding the experience as he described it or better.

Still, it would have been nice if Malone and Tupker had stuck around.
I agree. It’s evidence of an honestly run program, plus evidence that the players value the Cornell degree. In the world of the transfer portal, if your school provides a valuable four-year degree, that’s a benefit.

And I agree that if we had Malone and Tupker, we’d still be playing.

Date: April 03, 2024 10:15AM

Would the Ivy have allowed Malone and Tupker to play? I don’t think so as they were playing as grad students.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 10:19AM

BearLover

I agree. It’s evidence of an honestly run program, plus evidence that the players value the Cornell degree. In the world of the transfer portal, if your school provides a valuable four-year degree, that’s a benefit.

I agree, but Malone and Tupker both graduated. They didn’t just bolt for greener pastures. What prevented them from using their remaining year of eligibility was the Ivy prohibition against grad students playing. Will this issue go away now that the Covid cohorts are no longer around, or will schools use this as a way to “redshirt” better student-athletes?

Date: April 03, 2024 11:02AM

George64
BearLover

I agree, but Malone and Tupker both graduated. They didn’t just bolt for greener pastures. What prevented them from using their remaining year of eligibility was the Ivy prohibition against grad students playing. Will this issue go away now that the Covid cohorts are no longer around, or will schools use this as a way to “redshirt” better student-athletes?
Yes, to be clear, the only one at fault here is the Ivy League.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: April 03, 2024 11:30AM

Of course nothing stops a kid who isn't going to really play much as a FR from taking a semester off to not be on schedule and getting 5 yrs to play 4. the LAX guys can do it because the sport doesn't really go across semesters. A discussion that other sports do by RS without the grad restriction the Ivies have.

Date: April 03, 2024 01:39PM

My understanding of “red shirting” is that athletes matriculate, practice with their team for a year or two, but not play, but take some classes to ease their academic burden during their following four playing years.

Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for two years, but not compete, then play in his final two years, graduate on time, and then play for two years while completing his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 01:52PM

George64
My understanding of “red shirting” is that athletes matriculate, practice with their team for a year or two, but not play, but take some classes to ease their academic burden during their following four playing years.

Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for two years, but not compete, then play in his final two years, graduate on time, and then play for two years while completing his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.
No. Two rules stand in the way.

1) Ivies start the clock running on your four years to compete at the same time as your enrollment. The redshirt works outside of the Ivies because the NCAA rule is "you have 5 years for 4 years of competition."

2) Ivies do not permit grad school competition, outside of the one-time-only COVID exemption.

There is a caveat to (1), which is that you can manipulate your enrollment by withdrawing during semesters when your sport is out of competition (or in preliminary competition). Football doesn't play in the Spring, so you can get an extra year of competition by taking off Spring semester of Senior year and graduating the following fall. Wrestling spans the semesters, so if you join the team after Fall finals, you can get an extra year of competition. Wrestling also has what people call a "greyshirt" - take classes at TC3 for a year after graduation while training at the Spartan Combat [Olympic] Regional Training Center. SCRTC has some administrator/coach overlap with the Cornell team and people have been side-eyeing it for a while but it is apparently kosher.

Date: April 03, 2024 05:34PM

ugarte
George64

1) Ivies start the clock running on your four years to compete at the same time as your enrollment. The redshirt works outside of the Ivies because the NCAA rule is "you have 5 years for 4 years of competition."

2) Ivies do not permit grad school competition, outside of the one-time-only COVID exemption.

There is a caveat to (1), which is that you can manipulate your enrollment by withdrawing during semesters when your sport is out of competition (or in preliminary competition). Football doesn't play in the Spring, so you can get an extra year of competition by taking off Spring semester of Senior year and graduating the following fall. Wrestling spans the semesters, so if you join the team after Fall finals, you can get an extra year of competition. Wrestling also has what people call a "greyshirt" - take classes at TC3 for a year after graduation while training at the Spartan Combat [Olympic] Regional Training Center. SCRTC has some administrator/coach overlap with the Cornell team and people have been side-eyeing it for a while but it is apparently kosher.

Thanks, but my question was primarily about non-Ivy athletes. Let me rephrase to reflect what you told me about the NCAA rule —

Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for one year, but not compete, then compete in his final three years, graduate on time, and then use his remaining eligibility to play for one year while working towards his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.

Also, will graduate student eligibility go away for non-Ivies after the last of the Covid cohort passes on? In which case, my musings will be moot.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 05:39PM

There is also something called a "medical redshirt", separate from the traditional redshirt. If an athlete suffers a season-ending injury before the halfway point of that season, and if they have played in no more than some small fraction of the team's games/meets/whatever (I think it's 25%), then they can get an additional year, even if they've already had the traditional redshirt. Thus it's possible to spread the 4 years of competition over 6 years.

Ivies don't have the traditional redshirt, but the medical redshirt can be granted. Years ago, Vinnie Auger missed almost an entire season with the Big Red due to a back injury, but was permitted to play a season beyond what would have been considered his senior year. (And then he promptly got injured again, sigh)

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 03, 2024 05:47PM

George64
Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for one year, but not compete, then compete in his final three years, graduate on time, and then use his remaining eligibility to play for one year while working towards his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.

This can and has happened at non-Ivies, although I can't think of an example off the top of my head.

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 05:49PM

George64
ugarte
George64

Thanks, but my question was primarily about non-Ivy athletes. Let me rephrase to reflect what you told me about the NCAA rule —

Also, will graduate student eligibility go away for non-Ivies after the last of the Covid cohort passes on? In which case, my musings will be moot.

Yes, for non-Ivy schools you can absolutely do this. And grad school eligibility was available long before covid. You don't even need to be enrolled in a degree program. If you have eligibility remaining and are taking the equivalent of a full courseload, you can compete.

Date: April 03, 2024 05:50PM

George64
ugarte
George64

1. Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for one year, but not compete, then compete in his final three years, graduate on time, and then use his remaining eligibility to play for one year while working towards his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.

2. Also, will graduate student eligibility go away for non-Ivies after the last of the Covid cohort passes on? In which case, my musings will be moot.
1. Yes, I am 90% sure. The scholarships are often renewable annually rather than a four-year guarantee anyway, and they can go towards grad degrees. Though graduation is often when you see people transfer there is no rule against staying and getting another degree from alma mater.
2. No, since it predated COVID.

Date: April 03, 2024 05:56PM

Give My Regards
There is also something called a "medical redshirt" ... Ivies don't have the traditional redshirt, but the medical redshirt can be granted. Years ago, Vinnie Auger missed almost an entire season with the Big Red due to a back injury, but was permitted to play a season beyond what would have been considered his senior year. (And then he promptly got injured again, sigh)
Medical redshirts are evaluated by the NCAA on a case-by-case basis, but the rough contours are as GMR described AFAIK. There are other ways to extend, for example, in Olympic sports there are criteria for NCAA qualfiers to receive Olympic redshirts to spend the year training towards Olympic qualification. In wrestling, it was finishing in the top 8 at the US Senior Open, which allowed Yianni D., Vito and Max Dean to take Olympic redshirts in 2020 (before the postseason was canceled.)

Date: April 03, 2024 06:10PM

Looks like Graf is going to the pros.

Date: April 03, 2024 07:04PM

Give My Regards
There is also something called a "medical redshirt", separate from the traditional redshirt. If an athlete suffers a season-ending injury before the halfway point of that season, and if they have played in no more than some small fraction of the team's games/meets/whatever (I think it's 25%), then they can get an additional year, even if they've already had the traditional redshirt. Thus it's possible to spread the 4 years of competition over 6 years.

Ivies don't have the traditional redshirt, but the medical redshirt can be granted. Years ago, Vinnie Auger missed almost an entire season with the Big Red due to a back injury, but was permitted to play a season beyond what would have been considered his senior year. (And then he promptly got injured again, sigh)

This is not true.. If you RS for a non medical reason and then get injured in one of the other 4 yrs you dont get a 6th. You can petition it but its not often granted.

Almost all 6-7-8 yrs require injuries.

Posted by: dag14 (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 07:07PM

ugarte
Give My Regards
There is also something called a "medical redshirt" ... Ivies don't have the traditional redshirt, but the medical redshirt can be granted. Years ago, Vinnie Auger missed almost an entire season with the Big Red due to a back injury, but was permitted to play a season beyond what would have been considered his senior year. (And then he promptly got injured again, sigh)
Medical redshirts are evaluated by the NCAA on a case-by-case basis, but the rough contours are as GMR described AFAIK. There are other ways to extend, for example, in Olympic sports there are criteria for NCAA qualfiers to receive Olympic redshirts to spend the year training towards Olympic qualification. In wrestling, it was finishing in the top 8 at the US Senior Open, which allowed Yianni D., Vito and Max Dean to take Olympic redshirts in 2020 (before the postseason was canceled.)

The medical redshirt is an NCAA thing -- it is not automatically approved by the Ivy League unless the player has an academic reason to remain in school [or return to school if they took a semester off]. If a player takes a leave of absence to have surgery or to recover from an injury, getting the League to approve is easier than if they remain in school and can clearly graduate on time.

Date: April 03, 2024 07:36PM

arugula
Wow; he's a FA and it's a bidding war. That offer is going to be pretty close to impossible to resist.

If they (Quillan and Graf) both go, I wonder if Lipkin might jump to the Yotes. A girl can dream.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2024 07:40PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 09:07PM

ugarte
George64
ugarte
George64

1. Hypothetically, could a non-Ivy athlete practice with his team for one year, but not compete, then compete in his final three years, graduate on time, and then use his remaining eligibility to play for one year while working towards his MBA? Essentially, “red shirting” for the academically competent athlete. Would athletic “scholarships” carry over to grad school? Just wondering.

2. Also, will graduate student eligibility go away for non-Ivies after the last of the Covid cohort passes on? In which case, my musings will be moot.
1. Yes, I am 90% sure. The scholarships are often renewable annually rather than a four-year guarantee anyway, and they can go towards grad degrees. Though graduation is often when you see people transfer there is no rule against staying and getting another degree from alma mater.
2. No, since it predated COVID.

Twenty or so years ago one of my daughter's high school friends who played football at a Big-10 school red-shirted his freshman year, graduated in four, and stayed on scholarship for a year working on an MBA. The chance to earn an advanced degree on scholarship was sufficiently attractive to lure away from Princeton, which was actively recruiting him.

Date: April 03, 2024 11:16PM

If they IVY is all about the degree you would think letting Grad students play would be a student first thing. Its really counter to what they stand for that kids would skip semesters can come back and play but kids who graduate can't.

Date: April 04, 2024 12:18AM

upprdeck
If they IVY is all about the degree you would think letting Grad students play would be a student first thing. Its really counter to what they stand for that kids would skip semesters can come back and play but kids who graduate can't.
I think they probably have a pretty clear vision of the kind of graduate work that is required of 5th year athletes outside of the Ivies.

Date: April 04, 2024 08:29AM

Fillion leaves Q, to go with Quillan and soon to be Graf.

Rand will just go shopping in the Portal, but still nice to see the volatility.

We're stating to look like preseason favorites.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 08:44AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 04, 2024 08:54AM

Trotsky

I’m still confused, do you want the ECAC to be strong or not? Good Q players transferring out is bad for the strength of the league.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 09:31AM

I just saw a post that Northern Michigan has 13 players in the transfer portal!

Date: April 04, 2024 09:47AM

dbilmes

They’re probably looking for a more rigorous academic experience.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-49.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2024 10:03AM

BearLover
Trotsky

I’m still confused, do you want the ECAC to be strong or not? Good Q players transferring out is bad for the strength of the league.

I'm all for a strong league with Cornell in first and Q in 12th or else back with with Community Colleges.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 04, 2024 01:29PM

marty
BearLover
Trotsky

I'm all for a strong league with Cornell in first and Q in 12th or else back with with Community Colleges.

Those of us who want the ECAC to succeed do not generally feel the same way about Quinnipiac.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 02:47PM

arugula
[theathletic.com]

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 02:55PM

He's got the right coach in San Jose and will get lots of chances.

Posted by: randyranger (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 03:12PM

Lipkin just signed with Arizona. Dreams do come true.

Date: April 04, 2024 03:37PM

randyranger

Something something weaker ECAC something something Pairwise

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.39.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 03:54PM

CU2007
randyranger

Something something Rand will reload through portal something something

Date: April 04, 2024 04:06PM

DOESN'T ANYONE WITH SCORING TOUCH WANT TO LEARN HOW TO RUN A MARRIOTT?

Date: April 04, 2024 04:31PM

Chris '03
CU2007
randyranger

Something something Rand will reload through portal something something

Agreed but I’ll take my chances here. New players with fancy stats at someplace else don’t always transition seemlessly.

Posted by: arugula (38.109.75.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 04:33PM

Hopefully Q losing their top guns has the impact Harvard losing theirs did. Watch Rand's head explode...

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: April 04, 2024 07:16PM

ugarte

Quality.

Date: April 04, 2024 08:25PM

arugula
Hopefully Q losing their top guns has the impact Harvard losing theirs did. Watch Rand's head explode...
Q can just reload with whatever's available. Harvard has to at least ostensibly pretend to observe admissions requirements (I know, I know).

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: April 04, 2024 08:42PM

Trotsky
arugula
Q can just reload with whatever's available. Harvard has to at least ostensibly pretend to observe admissions requirements (I know, I know).

I had a sort of friend about a decade ago who played in some American junior hockey league, not quite sure which. He said he thought about continuing with hockey and was recruited by Harvard, but he couldn't meet the academics needed.

He and I wound up not getting along, but I don't think he was making that up. It's more fun to think he was really dumb than a liar.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2024 08:42PM by Dafatone.

Date: April 04, 2024 09:09PM

Trotsky
arugula

Hopefully what’s available isn’t great. The grad years types are the danger.

Date: April 04, 2024 09:37PM

Trotsky
arugula
Quinnipiac can take anybody out of the portal at any time. Harvard really can’t, whether for admissions reasons or (more often) because they’re a grad student.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 10:41PM

ugarte

Hockey players aren't hotelies. They're business majors.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 04, 2024 11:41PM

George64
dbilmes

Or warmer weather.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.85.---)
Date: April 05, 2024 12:28AM

David Harding
George64
dbilmes

Or warmer weather.

The one guy on the NMU roster from SoCal is not in the portal. But he was born in 1998 and is probably ready to be done. Arizona State has 7 players in the portal.

Really, just wanted to point out that NMU has someone named Viking Gustafsson Nyberg, which is just…really spectacular for names.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 02:40AM by RichH.

Date: April 05, 2024 01:07AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

the hotel school IS a business school

Posted by: abmarks (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 05, 2024 02:30AM

Couple of related items from the athletic.

From an article listing the top potential free agents. Broken down into categories by potential impact in NHL. In the category of "Long shot to play games"

27. Dalton Bancroft, RW, Cornell-ECAC

Bancroft is a strong-skating winger with a decent-sized frame. He was a point-per-game player as a sophomore this season in college. He has some puck skills and offensive creativity, but I don’t think he’s a natural playmaker or going to be a major scorer at higher levels. The pace in his game gives him a long-shot chance to play some games, especially given that he’s quite physical too.

Full piece on Graf (paywall, though if you have some NYTimes subscriptions you get the athletic for free) [theathletic.com]

Interesting nuggets from that article:

"In 112 collegiate games, Graf had 54 goals and 130 points. He was pursued by roughly 25 NHL teams. About three weeks ago, he cut the list to six finalists and held Zoom calls with those teams. Earlier this week, he met with each of the teams again before trimming his list of suitors to one"

"wanted to go to a team he could see himself playing for long-term, not just five or six games down the stretch. Along with agent Jerry Buckley, he went through every finalist with a fine-tooth comb to review depth charts, prospect pools, draft picks, coaching styles, management and which teams may have a dearth of right-shot forwards."

Kid has a great agent- I love that process.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 05, 2024 07:11AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

Scrivens was a hotelie, no? I'm sure there are quite a few others players who have been hotelies in the past 15 years.

Posted by: ithacat (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: April 05, 2024 08:30AM

ugarte

Wish that was Matthew Wood’s career dream.

Date: April 05, 2024 09:00AM

abmarks
Couple of related items from the athletic.

From an article listing the top potential free agents. Broken down into categories by potential impact in NHL. In the category of "Long shot to play games"

27. Dalton Bancroft, RW, Cornell-ECAC

Bancroft is a strong-skating winger with a decent-sized frame. He was a point-per-game player as a sophomore this season in college. He has some puck skills and offensive creativity, but I don’t think he’s a natural playmaker or going to be a major scorer at higher levels. The pace in his game gives him a long-shot chance to play some games, especially given that he’s quite physical too.

Full piece on Graf (paywall, though if you have some NYTimes subscriptions you get the athletic for free) [theathletic.com]

Interesting nuggets from that article:

"In 112 collegiate games, Graf had 54 goals and 130 points. He was pursued by roughly 25 NHL teams. About three weeks ago, he cut the list to six finalists and held Zoom calls with those teams. Earlier this week, he met with each of the teams again before trimming his list of suitors to one"

"wanted to go to a team he could see himself playing for long-term, not just five or six games down the stretch. Along with agent Jerry Buckley, he went through every finalist with a fine-tooth comb to review depth charts, prospect pools, draft picks, coaching styles, management and which teams may have a dearth of right-shot forwards."

Kid has a great agent- I love that process.

But how did he find time to prepare for his finals?

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 05, 2024 10:46AM

Iceberg
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

Scrivens was a hotelie, no? I'm sure there are quite a few others players who have been hotelies in the past 15 years.

Ugarte attempts humor and rather than critique the joke it's all out war over whether the team is stacked with Hotelies. Pure eLynah.

Date: April 05, 2024 12:45PM

marty
Iceberg
Jeff Hopkins '82
ugarte

Ugarte attempts humor and rather than critique the joke it's all out war over whether the team is stacked with Hotelies. Pure eLynah.
ugarte succeeds but some countervailing forces are just too strong

Date: April 05, 2024 05:58PM

Per the Q USCHO thread they have only 5 guys left from the title team, despite the 5-year plan. IINM they have lost their top 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 scorers from 2024, and their big goalie.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2024 06:04PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 05, 2024 07:25PM

Trotsky
Per the Q USCHO thread they have only 5 guys left so far from the title team, despite the 5-year plan. IINM they have lost their top 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 scorers from 2024, and their big goalie.

FYP. Their beloved coach must be puzzled.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.85.---)
Date: April 06, 2024 12:44AM

Trotsky
Per the Q USCHO thread they have only 5 guys left from the title team, despite the 5-year plan. IINM they have lost their top 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 scorers from 2024, and their big goalie.

The goalie is only 6’ 1” 170.

He’s no Cooper Black
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2024 12:45AM by RichH.

Posted by: billhoward (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 12, 2024 06:48PM

Trotsky
Any plan called a Five Year Plan fails. It doesn't have to involve agriculture or steel mills. How'd you like your player bio to say Comrade Yaniv?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login