Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Round 1 - Maine

Posted by RichH 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NCAA Round 1 - Maine
Posted by: ice (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2024 10:19PM

chimpfood
BearLover
Larry72
chimpfood
Man we’ve got a real winnable game up next too. Denver didn’t look good against UMass, will be gassed from double OT, and we beat them last year. Let’s get Schafer his frozen four that he deserves.

Remember that Denver is playing essentially at sea level instead of 5000"+, they have a day off, and they all are in great shape (as is Cornell)! Agree that Denver didn't look all that good against UMass.

This is absolutely a game that CU can win!!!

LGR!
I’m confused by the “Denver will be tired” talking point. Is playing 4.5 periods plus a day off really more exhausting than playing 3 periods and not getting a day off (which is every Saturday game over the course of the season)?
These guys are used to playing 3 periods. It’s like if I told you to run a 5k as fast as you can and then when you think you finished you have to go another mile. You’re gonna be a hell of a lot more tired and sore after. It’s also how tired they are compared to Cornell. They might be more rested than they would be for a Saturday game after a Friday game but Cornell also gets the extra day of rest.

If the game against Denver were on Friday night, I think the double over time for Denver would be important. However, with a full day of rest tomorrow, I bet most of them will be okay. One possible exception is Denver's goalie, Matt Davis, who looked like he may have gotten hurt during the second overtime. To be honest, I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. I want Cornell to beat Denver at their A game. I think the Big Red can definitely do that if they play like they did today.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2024 10:20PM by ice.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 28, 2024 10:21PM

ice
chimpfood
BearLover
Larry72
chimpfood
Man we’ve got a real winnable game up next too. Denver didn’t look good against UMass, will be gassed from double OT, and we beat them last year. Let’s get Schafer his frozen four that he deserves.

Remember that Denver is playing essentially at sea level instead of 5000"+, they have a day off, and they all are in great shape (as is Cornell)! Agree that Denver didn't look all that good against UMass.

LGR!
I’m confused by the “Denver will be tired” talking point. Is playing 4.5 periods plus a day off really more exhausting than playing 3 periods and not getting a day off (which is every Saturday game over the course of the season)?
These guys are used to playing 3 periods. It’s like if I told you to run a 5k as fast as you can and then when you think you finished you have to go another mile. You’re gonna be a hell of a lot more tired and sore after. It’s also how tired they are compared to Cornell. They might be more rested than they would be for a Saturday game after a Friday game but Cornell also gets the extra day of rest.

If the game against Denver were on Friday night, I think the double over time for Denver would be important. However, with a full day of rest tomorrow, I bet most of them will be okay. One possible exception is Denver's goalie, Matt Davis, who looked like he may have gotten hurt during the second overtime. To be honest, I wish him well and hope he fully recovers. I want Cornell to beat Denver at their A game. I think the Big Red can definitely do that if they play like they did today.
Yeah maybe so, I’m just trying to find every reason for why Cornell could win. Let’s just ride the wave and keep winning.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2024 10:25PM

Highlights available on YouTube:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: KenP (---.dthn.centurylink.net)
Date: March 28, 2024 10:26PM

Denver is a #1 seed for a reason. We absolutely can win, but don’t deceive yourself even with a tired Denver team we are the underdogs. We will have to elevate our game again to prove we want it more.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 28, 2024 11:40PM

BearLover
Larry72
chimpfood

LGR!

No, it’s nonsense. They’ll be fine.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 29, 2024 07:54AM

Kudos to eLynah listserv member and Sun sports editor Jane McNally for the special NCAA tournament preview section they published earlier this week. The section included a nice feature on Seeger, who talks about why he came to the States and about being an Engineering student, and another article about the play of Cornell's defensemen.
Many of us have been critical of the Sun's lackluster sports coverage in recent years, so it's only fair that we give the staff credit when it deserves it.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 08:22AM

If you watched Maine games, you saw the same thing. They relied on some speed to get passes into open ice areas.

They didn't get the odd man rushes and the few times we had coverage breakdowns they created some chances.

We played a very physical game and we need to recover from that.

the first goal you could see the ice tilting as we hit them over and over the question was would it lead to a goal and it did and the game changed in our favor for the rest of the night.

Denver is a step up on offense.

Posted by: djk26 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:31AM

I don't know whether to be happy about seeing Denver struggle to score or worried about their ability to shut down UMass. Both UMass and Denver goalies looked very good yesterday; glad we only have to face one of them.

I know that Denver is a stronger team than Maine, but I ame excited to see Cornell try to beat them. Let's go Red!

Posted by: scoop85 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:45AM

dbilmes
Kudos to eLynah listserv member and Sun sports editor Jane McNally for the special NCAA tournament preview section they published earlier this week. The section included a nice feature on Seeger, who talks about why he came to the States and about being an Engineering student, and another article about the play of Cornell's defensemen.
Many of us have been critical of the Sun's lackluster sports coverage in recent years, so it's only fair that we give the staff credit when it deserves it.

When McNally posted here asking for suggestions about the Sun's coverage, I recommended more feature articles. The excellent Seger piece is exactly what I had in mind. I hope they continue doing more of those down the road.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.subaru-sia.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:46AM

upprdeck
Denver is a step up on offense.
Maybe so. But didn't look that way in the rink yesterday.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:51AM

Maine had two Nadeau brothers. Denver, for all intents and purposes, has eight. (However, one of their best forwards, Massimo Rizzo, missed the first round with an injury.)

Posted by: scoop85 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 10:40AM

Jack Devine looks like Denver's most dangerous guy. And the Buium brothers are almost certainly future NHL defensemen.

Posted by: adamw (65.140.5.---)
Date: March 29, 2024 11:10AM

RichH
BearLover
Larry72
chimpfood

LGR!

I’m more concerned that much of that team saw us in last year’s tournament. The Denver upperclassmen and coaches thought a lot about “what went wrong and how do we fix it”. No real element of mystery, except for when my wish comes true that Castagna goes complete Vesuvius mode and supernovas NBAJam style.

Anyway, Maine had absolutely no idea how to play us.

FWIW - UMass did to Denver what I've seen other teams do to Denver, including Cornell last year - and Denver still hasn't figured it out. It's very possible Cornell will play like crap Saturday and/or Denver will suddenly figure it out and/or Cornell won't be able to score and Denver will get a bounce and win anyway - but all I'm saying is, they haven't figured it out yet despite seeing it many times.

Posted by: adamw (65.140.5.---)
Date: March 29, 2024 11:12AM

ice

Davis got a cramp - read College Hockey News :)

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-192-8.myvzw.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 11:51AM

Umass controlled the latter part of the game clearly. Denver can be slowed and ground down. I was at the old DU Arena in 1986 where we lost the two game total goal quarter final 8-7. Had we not given up the lead, we would have had a national semifinal against Harvard-Nieuwendyk v. Fusco. Imagine that. As a result of this trauma, I will forever hate Denver(the University, not the city, have several old friends there).

The only team remaining which scares me, like everyone else, is Boston College. Not to say we will win, but I’m not daunted.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 03:19PM

BC is the best team not even close.

Some teams have real good offense so our bad mistakes can kill us.

but MTech down 2-1 live vs BC shows you anything can happen.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 04:33PM

BearLover
Maine had two Nadeau brothers. Denver, for all intents and purposes, has eight. (However, one of their best forwards, Massimo Rizzo, missed the first round with an injury.)
Maybe Denver has twelve. All I'm saying is they didn't show it yesterday. Tomorrow could be different.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (12.157.54.---)
Date: March 29, 2024 05:13PM

BearLover
That was the first time Cornell looked this way the entire season.

I don’t see the game quite the same on tv as I do from my perch at Lynah but I saw a lot of pleasant things in their approach. Someone earlier mentioned how they didn’t overpass and that was true on all three goals. Penney did a great job of buying time to get into an even better scoring position. Mack showed us earlier in the season that he has the scoring touch and proved it by making a b-line for the net on both of his goals. I can see in my mind’s eye an unnecessary pass being made in each of these situations, especially on the third goal with Stanley streaking for the net but the guys did a great job of keeping it simple and taking matters into their own hands. Even on tv I still noticed how passive the Maine defenders were. I saw multiple times where their guys just seemed to cower and allow a Big Red player the space to make a play. At the other end of the rink I thought Cornell used their speed to get into the right positions to make the defensive play the rest of the night after the Maine goal. It looked to me like most of those plays were stick on puck instead of having to lay out to block a shot. They played the way they needed to play to win that game. Pretty neat to see they have some variety to their game. Hopefully that makes it tough for any opponent to get a book on them.

Posted by: cth95 (---.myfairpoint.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 05:21PM

VIEWfromK
Even on tv I still noticed how passive the Maine defenders were. I saw multiple times where their guys just seemed to cower and allow a Big Red player the space to make a play.

In one of the articles I read on CHN or USCHO, Mack or Penny said they were surprised how much room they had. They just took advantage of it and let the shot fly.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (12.157.54.---)
Date: March 29, 2024 05:27PM

upprdeck
BC is the best team not even close.

Don’t forget that BC has one of our guys…. Jack Malone. He was sitting in the first row during the selection show

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 05:27PM

cth95
VIEWfromK
Even on tv I still noticed how passive the Maine defenders were. I saw multiple times where their guys just seemed to cower and allow a Big Red player the space to make a play.

In one of the articles I read on CHN or USCHO, Mack or Penny said they were surprised how much room they had. They just took advantage of it and let the shot fly.

That was Mack. He said it in the post-game interview.

Posted by: DL (---.bas512.cwt.btireland.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 07:56PM

VIEWfromK
BearLover
That was the first time Cornell looked this way the entire season.

I don’t see the game quite the same on tv as I do from my perch at Lynah but I saw a lot of pleasant things in their approach. Someone earlier mentioned how they didn’t overpass and that was true on all three goals. Penney did a great job of buying time to get into an even better scoring position. Mack showed us earlier in the season that he has the scoring touch and proved it by making a b-line for the net on both of his goals. I can see in my mind’s eye an unnecessary pass being made in each of these situations, especially on the third goal with Stanley streaking for the net but the guys did a great job of keeping it simple and taking matters into their own hands. Even on tv I still noticed how passive the Maine defenders were. I saw multiple times where their guys just seemed to cower and allow a Big Red player the space to make a play. At the other end of the rink I thought Cornell used their speed to get into the right positions to make the defensive play the rest of the night after the Maine goal. It looked to me like most of those plays were stick on puck instead of having to lay out to block a shot. They played the way they needed to play to win that game. Pretty neat to see they have some variety to their game. Hopefully that makes it tough for any opponent to get a book on them.

I was shocked how sharp (aside form the Maine goal) the team looked, how well positioned guys were to jump on the puck and streak to the other end and make a go at the goal instead of cycling it around a dozen times only to have it poked away... you know, the way we look when we're on power plays that never work out.

Posted by: Faithful84 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:35PM

Some highlights from Cornell fan section 26:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Faithful84 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:52PM

Last week's Dartmouth highlights too:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-192-11.myvzw.com)
Date: March 30, 2024 02:12PM

Rewatching the game, that third period was a masterpiece defensively.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login