Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Tournament 2024

Posted by jtwcornell91 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: NCAA Tournament 2024
Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 30, 2024 03:53PM

Faithful84
But that still doesn't excuse lossess to Harvard, Princeton, Colgate...... that's due to Cornell's preferred style of play..

And those teams knowing what it takes to beat Cornell

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 30, 2024 06:55PM

Who decided to let Dick Vitale do the play-by-play in the BU-Minnesota game?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 30, 2024 07:06PM

Here's a question: based on the boards, it looked like UMass and AIC were the co-hosts of the Springfield regional. What happens if AIC beats RIT in the AHA final?* There's no way they send two four-band teams to play in Springfield, right?

*Do not say "according to YATC an AIC win would have eliminated UMass" even if it is true.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.223.---)
Date: March 30, 2024 07:12PM

AIC couldn't have gone to Springfield since the site is their home rink. They probably would've played BU or BC

Date: March 30, 2024 07:17PM

Iceberg
AIC couldn't have gone to Springfield since the site is their home rink. They probably would've played BU or BC
interesting! i guess they shared some of the administrative burden and revenue from hosting?

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.222.---)
Date: March 30, 2024 09:27PM

ugarte
interesting! i guess they shared some of the administrative burden and revenue from hosting?

That I don't know and someone more knowledgeable like the brother Wodon could probably answer that. What I do know is that BU won and we could've seen a matchup with them and Cornell in the FF. Alas...

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2024 04:30PM

Tukper with a penalty and Jack Malone has a high stick goal that is immediately waived off. BC challenges and the no goal call stands. Duplessis made an amazing save before that sequence to keep it scoreless.

Posted by: Iceberg (172.56.220.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:00PM

Malone sends BC to the Frozen Four. Wow

Posted by: imafrshmn (172.58.123.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:01PM

order is restored in the universe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2024 07:03PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:01PM

Iceberg

If anyone were to get the game winner, glad it was Malone

Date: March 31, 2024 07:02PM

QU was probably the better team today, but I would’ve had a hard time stomaching them getting back to the FF. And what better way than for a Cornellian to end their season.

Posted by: Dunc (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:06PM

Rooting for Michigan St. to win it all - team I dislike the least out of the remaining teams lol

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:44PM

Iceberg

The greatest transfer if this is the result.

Fuck Rand and his ECHL program masquerading as an educational institution. Bye bye.

Posted by: ER (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 07:58PM

Great game but the piped on music is awful. Are we at a baseball stadium? Michigan has the best band. Where are they?

Date: March 31, 2024 08:01PM

RichH
Iceberg

The greatest transfer if this is the result.

Fuck Rand and his ECHL program masquerading as an educational institution. Bye bye.

Yeah, no tears from me. Somehow their guy Fillion missed a wide open net that would’ve made it 5-3 and pretty much sealed the game. Seems like something that would happen to us in the quarterfinals.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 08:32PM

ER
Great game but the piped on music is awful. Are we at a baseball stadium? Michigan has the best band. Where are they?

Ahem. Michigan’s band plays 2 songs on repeat and is generally annoying, and automatons, but fine sound-wise. We have the best band, except for the recent things Greg detailed recently.

Date: March 31, 2024 08:44PM

The Battle of Michigan is a great game. 2-2 halfway through the third.

Date: March 31, 2024 08:52PM

ugarte
goodf lord Michigan scores a pair 12 seconds apart and is up 4-2. the first of two was a great individual play and the second was set up by an incredibly sick pass.

Date: March 31, 2024 09:03PM

ugarte
ugarte
goodf lord Michigan scores a pair 12 seconds apart and is up 4-2. the first of two was a great individual play and the second was set up by an incredibly sick pass.
oh man 2:30 to go and MSU gets called for a slash a million times worse than the Walsh call and Michigan scores off the draw to seal it.

Posted by: sah67 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:04PM

Talk about deja vu: MSU down late, trying to get a goal and gets called for a somewhat suspect slash (although a bit more obvious than Walsh's penalty) with 2 minutes left.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.mycingular.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:04PM

I’m not sure that was worse than the Walsh call, much easier to call it when a stick breaks.

Date: March 31, 2024 09:11PM

chimpfood
I’m not sure that was worse than the Walsh call, much easier to call it when a stick breaks.
yeah the stick broke but he was also playing the puck! it was right under the stick.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:21PM

ER

Springfield was just as bad. Someone needs to tell these AHL rinks that we want to hear the band(s), not their piped in noise.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:25PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ER

Springfield was just as bad. Someone needs to tell these AHL rinks that we want to hear the band(s), not their piped in noise.
It was terrible at Springfield, especially when Maine played Cornell and both teams had their pep bands there. Part of what is supposed to make the NCAA tournament special is the atmosphere, and pep bands are a big part of creating that atmosphere. They kept playing canned crap over the PA system and hardly gave the bands a chance to play.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:30PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ER

Tell Denver to send a band, too.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 31, 2024 09:31PM

dbilmes
Jeff Hopkins '82
ER

It was terrible at Springfield, especially when Maine played Cornell and both teams had their pep bands there. Part of what is supposed to make the NCAA tournament special is the atmosphere, and pep bands are a big part of creating that atmosphere. They kept playing canned crap over the PA system and hardly gave the bands a chance to play.

I dashed off an email to their rink staff that made me feel better, but it may be time to start a campaign or association. I’m serious.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 10:01PM

Very blue-blood FF this year and half the teams were in it last year with a third having made an appearance in 2022. So much for national parity

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 10:04PM

DU, UMich, BC, BU. Does the blood get any bluer? The two western teams with the most championships and the two eastern teams with the most championships.

Yawn.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 10:35PM

Robb
DU, UMich, BC, BU. Does the blood get any bluer? The two western teams with the most championships and the two eastern teams with the most championships.

Yawn.
Take a look at what’s going on in the transfer portal right now and you’ll see where all the parity went.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 31, 2024 11:16PM

Robb

Yawn.
Minnesota for Denver would be bluer.

Go Pioneers. Least objectionable of the F4, with a fine Cornell history.

Date: April 01, 2024 06:35AM

Trotsky
Robb

Yawn.

Yep. That's where I stand, too.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-192-8.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 07:11AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Robb

Yawn.

Yep. That's where I stand, too.

Perplexed by the objection to BC? Can you explain. I hate DU.

Date: April 01, 2024 07:53AM

They always had a "Holier than thou" attitude about not recruiting players from Canada.

Date: April 01, 2024 08:25AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
They always had a "Holier than thou" attitude about not recruiting players from Canada.
Why qualify it? Their sanctimony is universal.

Date: April 01, 2024 08:51AM

It is? I’ve been following college hockey for forty years (oy vey!). Never experienced it from the BC group. As to not recruiting in Canada, if you have New England, why bother? I don’t see that as sanctimony I see it as realpolitik.

I’m more regionally biased. I pretty much hate all the western schools and BU and of course our league rivals.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:22AM

arugula
It is? I’ve been following college hockey for forty years (oy vey!). Never experienced it from the BC group.

40 years here, too. It is.

It's primarily the self-absorption of Bostonians. BC students are likely to be locals. BU gets a large contingent of kids who didn't get into Ivies, so the solution of Boston Idiocy has been diluted.

But BC also carries itself with an inbred entitlement which its real world standing in no way warrants. BC is Duke for the physically unattractive.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2024 09:22AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.79.---)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:41AM

Trotsky
arugula
It is? I’ve been following college hockey for forty years (oy vey!). Never experienced it from the BC group.

It's primarily the self-absorption of Bostonians. BC students are likely to be locals. BU gets a large contingent of kids who didn't get into Ivies, so the solution of Boston Idiocy has been diluted.

But BC also carries itself with an inbred entitlement which its real world standing in no way warrants. BC is Duke for the physically unattractive.

I don't like BC either but agree with basically none of this. The BC SUPERFAN is an intolerable bandwagon stereotype.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:43AM

Chris '03
Trotsky
arugula

I don't like BC either but agree with basically none of this. The BC SUPERFAN is an intolerable bandwagon stereotype.

Opinions vary.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-208.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:46AM

Trotsky
arugula

This sort of thing gets weirder in more remote parts of the country.

The Sioux Falls fancy private school is Augustana (new to D1 hockey!). I really, really don't like to play the "I went to Cornell, maybe you've heard of it" card, but it's awfully tempting when someone looks down their nose at me because they went to Augustana.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.77.---)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:49AM

Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
arugula

Opinions vary.

Yes. Opinions vary. But BC kids being likely to be local isn't true. I'd bet Cornell has more NYers than BC has kids from Mass. as a point of comparison.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:49AM

Dafatone
Trotsky
arugula

The Sioux Falls fancy private school is Augustana (new to D1 hockey!). I really, really don't like to play the "I went to Cornell, maybe you've heard of it" card, but it's awfully tempting when someone looks down their nose at me because they went to Augustana.
It wouldn't mean anything to them. Cornell's cachet falls off with the square of the distance from Ithaca. By Iowa we might as well be Rutgers.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2024 09:54AM by Trotsky.

Date: April 01, 2024 09:51AM

Chris '03
But BC kids being likely to be local isn't true. I'd bet Cornell has more NYers than BC has kids from Mass. as a point of comparison.

Ah, but those are kids who self-selected to go to BC. They were but temporarily exiled from their true home. Essence precedes existence.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2024 09:52AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-208.myvzw.com)
Date: April 01, 2024 09:51AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
arugula

It wouldn't mean anything to them. Cornell's cache falls off with the square of the distance from Ithaca. By Iowa we might as well be Rutgers.

Cornell College in Iowa doesn't help, either.

Date: April 01, 2024 10:19AM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
arugula

Opinions vary.

Yes. Opinions vary. But BC kids being likely to be local isn't true. I'd bet Cornell has more NYers than BC has kids from Mass. as a point of comparison.

Correct. BC is a national school.

Date: April 01, 2024 10:22AM

Trotsky
Dafatone
Trotsky
arugula

It wouldn't mean anything to them. Cornell's cachet falls off with the square of the distance from Ithaca. By Iowa we might as well be Rutgers.

When I attended the quarterfinals at DU in 86, was asked about Iowa and Cornell College 20 times

Date: April 01, 2024 10:30AM

Trotsky
arugula

Wow. Ad hominem much? My experience on bc’s campus was a good looking group. My experience with people who call others physically unattractive is they generally should buy a mirror.

Date: April 01, 2024 10:53AM

arugula
Trotsky
arugula

Wow. Ad hominem much? My experience on bc’s campus was a good looking group. My experience with people who call others physically unattractive is they generally should buy a mirror.

I don’t put much stock in rankings but according to the latest us news, BC is higher than among others, NYU,Wisconsin, Tufts,BU, Lehigh, Rochester, William and Mary, Brandeis, GW. It’s not Quinnipiac.

Date: April 01, 2024 10:59AM

arugula
arugula
Trotsky
arugula

I don’t put much stock in rankings but according to the latest us news, BC is higher than among others, NYU,Wisconsin, Tufts,BU, Lehigh, Rochester, William and Mary, Brandeis, GW. It’s not Quinnipiac.

And just behind USC and Texas.

Date: April 01, 2024 11:01AM

arugula
arugula
arugula
Trotsky
arugula

And just behind USC and Texas.

I always thought that the safety school chant was only funny if yelled at Yale or Harvard.

Date: April 01, 2024 11:43AM

arugula

Ad hom is attacking the poster. I was attacking the people of Chestnut Hill. Obviously, any friend or blood relative of yours who has attended BC is stunningly beautiful, and would be a New England 10 and a North Carolina... let's say... 6 (ebullient praise is one thing but let's not get carried away).

As for the mirror comment, if you are inferring I am in any way the standard of typical BC pulchritude, things there are in worse shape that any of us feared.

BC is like many monied schools academically: the jocks are rockheads and the regular student body is... varied. The same can be said for Texas, Stanford, and dare I say Cornell itself.

And that's fine. Not everybody has to be Goethe. The world needs finance bros too.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2024 11:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Will (---.coecis.cornell.edu)
Date: April 01, 2024 12:37PM

Chris '03
Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
arugula

Opinions vary.

For what it's worth, BC's Class of 2026 is purportedly only 29.25% New Englanders (couldn't tell you about Bostonians in particular) and 30.45% from the Mid-Atlantic states: [www.bc.edu]
Meanwhile, Cornell's Class of 2025 is 31.7% from New York State alone (plus another 18.6% from the other Mid-Atlantic states): [irp.dpb.cornell.edu]

Date: April 01, 2024 12:43PM

Trotsky
arugula

Ad hom is attacking the poster. I was attacking the people of Chestnut Hill. Obviously, any friend or blood relative of yours who has attended BC is stunningly beautiful, and would be a New England 10 and a North Carolina... let's say... 6 (ebullient praise is one thing but let's not get carried away).

As for the mirror comment, if you are inferring I am in any way the standard of typical BC pulchritude, things there are in worse shape that any of us feared.

BC is like many monied schools academically: the jocks are rockheads and the regular student body is... varied. The same can be said for Texas, Stanford, and dare I say Cornell itself.

And that's fine. Not everybody has to be Goethe. The world needs finance bros too.

Ok but still not clear why BC fans are so annoying.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 01, 2024 02:08PM

Trotsky
arugula

IIRC, BC was the one Jesuit college that didn't take in displaced students from Loyola University New Orleans in Fall 2005 after Katrina.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 01, 2024 03:38PM

Will
Chris '03
Trotsky
Chris '03
Trotsky
arugula

Opinions vary.

For what it's worth, BC's Class of 2026 is purportedly only 29.25% New Englanders (couldn't tell you about Bostonians in particular) and 30.45% from the Mid-Atlantic states: [www.bc.edu]
Meanwhile, Cornell's Class of 2025 is 31.7% from New York State alone (plus another 18.6% from the other Mid-Atlantic states): [irp.dpb.cornell.edu]

Not a fair comparison, since much of Cornell is a NY State institution.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:47PM

jtwcornell91
Trotsky
arugula

IIRC, BC was the one Jesuit college that didn't take in displaced students from Loyola University New Orleans in Fall 2005 after Katrina.

Now that’s bad.

Date: April 01, 2024 03:51PM

arugula
Trotsky
arugula

Ok but still not clear why BC fans are so annoying.
you have to understand that greg processes the world through a cumulation of prejudices and loathings - no subject too small, no umbrage too large - and has no idea how crazy it sounds to third parties when he turns on the opinion hose. most people just nod as they back away and i do this.

the actual hockey, though, he gets right as often as i do.

Date: April 01, 2024 05:21PM

ugarte
you have to understand that greg processes the world through a cumulation of prejudices and loathings - no subject too small, no umbrage too large - and has no idea how crazy it sounds to third parties when he turns on the opinion hose. most people just nod as they back away and i do this.

the actual hockey, though, he gets right as often as i do.
This guy gets it.

Posted by: Tom_Hamill (96.8.89.---)
Date: April 02, 2024 11:07AM

Classy response, Greg.

Date: April 02, 2024 11:28AM

Tom_Hamill
Classy response, Greg.
we've been at this for a while. we know each other's deal.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.176.---)
Date: April 02, 2024 11:39AM

Trotsky
arugula

Needs? What - are the poors hungry again?

Date: April 03, 2024 08:47AM

Robb
Trotsky
The world needs finance bros too.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

Date: April 03, 2024 10:17AM

Trotsky
Robb
Trotsky

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."

Fwiw my friend the BC grad is a union organizer. I guess that’s the opposite of a finance bro. A bit closer to the Jesuit tradition.

Date: April 03, 2024 07:26PM

arugula
Trotsky
Robb
Trotsky

Fwiw my friend the BC grad is a union organizer. I guess that’s the opposite of a finance bro. A bit closer to the Jesuit tradition.
I'm just glad there still are union organizers.

Is ILR wholly owned by Amazon now?

Posted by: Weder (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2024 08:02PM

Trotsky
arugula
Trotsky
Robb
Trotsky

I'm just glad there still are union organizers.

Is ILR wholly owned by Amazon now?

ILR actually has extensive training programs for labor leaders and organizers.
[www.ilr.cornell.edu]

Date: April 03, 2024 08:13PM

Correct. Ives is corporate but the extension programs are heavily union based. I am a union lawyer and when I was at ILR in the 80s I think it was more corporate.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login