Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Basking in the glow of #13

Posted by RichH 
Basking in the glow of #13
Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:23PM

Congratulations to us all, haters and losers included. 2010 seems like forever ago. Heck, the last time our team hoisted the Scotty in Lake Placid, Schaf was holding his kid in his arms and Mudpuddles was a thing.

Recent debates about what success markers we value here have been interesting. But these nights are special and the chances to bank them are so fleeting, and if you miss, it’s a long road back.

13 increases our total ECAC Title count over some off-red team who only has 11. Schafer’s 6th breaks a tie for most ever held with SLU’s Joe Marsh. 3 in LP, 3 in Albany.

Thanks to this young, young team and the coaching staff who put it together. Not always the smoothest or most dominant, but I’m grateful they brought it home.

LGR

Re: Basking in the glow of #13
Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:25PM

Yes. Hear hear. I recall the 2010 game in Albany with my Cornell roommate who has since passed. I thought of him today.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:27PM

RichH
Congratulations to us all, haters and losers included. 2010 seems like forever ago. Heck, the last time our team hoisted the Scotty in Lake Placid, Schaf was holding his kid in his arms and Mudpuddles was a thing.

Recent debates about what success markers we value here have been interesting. But these nights are special and the chances to bank them are so fleeting, and if you miss, it’s a long road back.

13 increases our total ECAC Title count over some off-red team who only has 11. Schafer’s 6th breaks a tie for most ever held with SLU’s Joe Marsh. 3 in LP, 3 in Albany.

Thanks to this young, young team and the coaching staff who put it together. Not always the smoothest or most dominant, but I’m grateful they brought it home.

LGR
that's right

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:27PM

Hopefully the first of many for this young group. I’ve had a blast this season but the future is even brighter.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:30PM

Yep. #13 in the Pairwise. We did it!

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:37PM

BearLover

I absolutely had a LOL at that. Cheers to you, BL.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-58.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 10:16PM

BearLover

+7 or +8 IIRC.

Date: March 23, 2024 10:36PM

Schafer quoted in the CHN article as saying “Im on the back 9 here.” Although it really isn’t a shock, it is sad to hear him say with the guy having been coach as long as I can remember. If I had to guess I would say he goes when these 10 freshman graduate.

Date: March 23, 2024 10:46PM

Oops wrong thread
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 10:47PM by chimpfood.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:34PM

chimpfood
Schafer quoted in the CHN article as saying “Im on the back 9 here.” Although it really isn’t a shock, it is sad to hear him say with the guy having been coach as long as I can remember. If I had to guess I would say he goes when these 10 freshman graduate.

I was thinking the same thing: He must be excited to see what this freshman class can do over the next three years, but after that...

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:57PM

JasonN95
chimpfood

I was thinking the same thing: He must be excited to see what this freshman class can do over the next three years, but after that...

He’s about 60, so I suppose anything is possible, but - you guys know the “back 9” just means the second half, right?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2024 12:03AM

JasonN95
chimpfood

If he still feels good and is having success, why would he quit?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 12:30AM

BearLover
JasonN95
chimpfood

Well, Diane may have some say in the matter.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 08:06AM

if kids are grown up and you have 30 yrs into this with all the recruiting time it takes maybe you want that last 10+ yrs to be more than hockey,

Posted by: VIEWfromK (12.23.129.---)
Date: March 24, 2024 08:50AM

JasonN95
chimpfood

Topher was in my section toward the end of the regular season. Maybe he was in town to start the discussion about an eventual transition.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (12.23.129.---)
Date: March 24, 2024 08:55AM

RichH

2010 seems like forever ago.

We had our six month old in the stands for that one. It was his first hockey road trip. Now I look him in the eye. It had been too long

Posted by: sah67 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:52AM

VIEWfromK
]

Topher was in my section toward the end of the regular season. Maybe he was in town to start the discussion about an eventual transition.

Topher posted an update last summer on his website, explaining that he left the Michigan gig to be able spend more time with his young family. He sounded pretty disillusioned with the grind of the hockey coaching world, and sure made it seem like he was ready to “move on“ from that. I guess it’s possible he could have had a total change of heart in the months since then.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.sub-174-234-124.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 10:02AM

BearLover
JasonN95
chimpfood

Part of it I’m sure is my worry of what a post-Schafer Cornell hockey program will be like getting the better of me. (We’re quite far away from the days when many posters were saying the game had passed Schafer by and perhaps he should go. I don’t think I succumbed to that, but at the time I understood why some felt it.)

But it’s also just a vibe I get from how emotional he was last season about the challenges weathering the COVID shutdown and the guys who stuck it out, and then again how emotional he was with this victory.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 10:44AM

Can you all let him decide, and not try to decide for him or read tea leaves that don't exist?

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 11:29AM

While Adam has us in Springfield vs Maine (w/Denver - UMass), his colleague has us in St Louis vs Maine (w/ Michigan St - Western Mich). Springfield is a Thursday - Saturday regional, while St Louis is a Friday - Sunday.

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 12:35PM

CU2007
While Adam has us in Springfield vs Maine (w/Denver - UMass), his colleague has us in St Louis vs Maine (w/ Michigan St - Western Mich). Springfield is a Thursday - Saturday regional, while St Louis is a Friday - Sunday.

The USCHO piece agrees with Adam on Springfield.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-243.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 12:37PM

adamw
Can you all let him decide, and not try to decide for him or read tea leaves that don't exist?

I'm sure you know us well enough by now to know we're gonna read tea leaves that don't exist.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 12:44PM

Beeeej
JasonN95
chimpfood

He’s about 60, so I suppose anything is possible, but - you guys know the “back 9” just means the second half, right?

I was thinking he might go if they win the natty this year. But I hope you're right. This year's exceptional class (and perhaps a few more exceptional ones on the way. popcorn

Date: March 24, 2024 12:56PM

Swampy
Beeeej
JasonN95
chimpfood

I was thinking he might go if they win the natty this year. But I hope you're right. This year's exceptional class (and perhaps a few more exceptional ones on the way. popcorn
Come on…unless you know Mike personally, this speculation is absurd.

First of all, Cornell is almost certainly not winning the natty this year. But more importantly, we are in the most successful stretch of Schafer’s entire career. 2002-2006 was very nice, but it was just five years. At no point before 2016-17 did we reach the sustained version of success that was are seeing now. 2003 had the one frozen four, but who knows what would have happened in 2020 or 2021. Personal reasons aside, I highly doubt Mike’s going anywhere based on the hockey team’s outlook. This is a great freshman class. So was the one in 2017-18. And there will likely be great future classes as well.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 01:25PM

CU2007

I hope Adam is right. St. Louis is showing as sold out right now.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2024 01:35PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

That's because the blocks that will be allotted to the as-yet-unnamed four participating schools are considered "sold" until the schools return them as unsold. Cornell will get an allotment to sell for whatever regional it's in.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 24, 2024 01:54PM

Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

That's because the blocks that will be allotted to the as-yet-unnamed four participating schools are considered "sold" until the schools return them as unsold. Cornell will get an allotment to sell for whatever regional it's in.

I know. How does one get a hold of one of those tickets?

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: March 24, 2024 02:00PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

I know you’ve done this before.

Date: March 24, 2024 02:07PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

Actually, no. I've always bought a ticket from the arena, not from Cornell.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 02:58PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007
https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/college-hockey/men-s-division-i/3861508-regional-and-frozen-four-ticket-exchange][/url]

Try here

Date: March 24, 2024 03:56PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007
https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/college-hockey/men-s-division-i/3861508-regional-and-frozen-four-ticket-exchange][/url]

Try here

Actually I was referring to getting a ticket through Cornell.

Posted by: toddlose (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 04:49PM

[fanforum.uscho.com]

Talking some trash on the last page of this particular forum for Maine. Page 239
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2024 04:50PM by toddlose.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 05:43PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

Try here

Not much help, but...

Date: March 24, 2024 05:52PM

andyw2100
Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
Beeeej
Jeff Hopkins '82
CU2007

Try here

Not much help, but...

That's a start.

And of course the ticket office is closed on Mondays.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 08:47PM

adamw

Lest there be any doubt, I hope he stays for a long, long time.

The ECAC put together a nice, albeit short video of the championship. I'd love to see more of the ice level, high def footage of the game, and the on- and off-ice celebration:

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:17PM

Just bought two tickets in the Cornell block for the regional: [vivenu.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2024 09:18PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:34PM

Time to retire this thread, I think.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:53PM

Trotsky

Because the final pairwise impacts Cornell's 13th ECAC Title how?

Date: March 24, 2024 10:08PM

Chris '03
Trotsky

Because the final pairwise impacts Cornell's 13th ECAC Title how?

To be fair, I interpreted it as #13 in the Pairwise, not our 13th title.

Date: March 24, 2024 10:12PM

Trotsky

Only when we win our 14th Whitelaw.

<psst, hop to it: [www.tbrw.info] >

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2024 08:34AM

RichH
Trotsky

Only when we win our 14th Whitelaw.

<psst, hop to it: [www.tbrw.info] >
It's there, you just have to reload.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2024 01:57PM

The ECAC Champions T-shirt is available for pre-order: [www.cornellstore.com]

It has Huggy Bear on it. uhoh

It sells for $30. wow

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2024 02:14PM

The hockey merch in the online store leaves something to be desired. It looks high school quality.

Date: March 28, 2024 02:25PM

jtwcornell91

It sells for $30. wow

Most t-shirts seem to be at least at that price point. Perhaps the $180 “Tommy Bahama” Hawaiian shirt is more to your liking.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 28, 2024 11:29PM

jtwcornell91

It sells for $30. wow

Interesting that the “old” logo is on the official merchandise on the Cornell Store. I still see it from time to time but assumed some external party just hadn’t updated yet. Now I don’t know what to think.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login