Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard @ Cornell Saturday

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Harvard @ Cornell Saturday
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 03:51PM

CU2007
What was going on with the Harvard players not leaving the ice at the end of the 2nd period? They were all standing around by the Zamboni door. Was that related to the F Bombs? Can’t think they would actually care.
No, the team doesn't give a shit about stuff like that, it's parents with kids who don't want to hear it and complain to the AD, and TBH I'm fine with it. It's a public place where famlies are welcome. And profanity is the last refuge of the fucking incompetent.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.162.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 04:03PM

BearLover
sah67
BearLover
Why does the ECAC Commissioner care if the band plays a song?

Because the vast majority of the students chant "Fuck 'em up, fuck 'em up, Go CU!" during Gary Glitter instead of "Rough 'em up." Rumor has it the ECAC commish was already very displeased with the student section behavior during Game 1, and Schafer's reading of the riot act to the students over the PA during the period break last night may have been a result of that (and the students' continued F-bomb-laden chants.)
The vast majority of students have been chanting that for at least the last 15 years. They’ve also been chanting “Fuck you, Harvard!” for a long time now. What changed Friday night?

Are we never allowed to play Gary Glitter again now? That’s everybody’s favorite cheer (including the players’ if you listen to their interviews).
what changed Friday night was that it was not a Cornell home game. It was an ECAC playoff game, put on by the ECAC. If they have different ideas of the rules, or how strictly they should be enforced, well, that’s their prerogative. What was acceptable to the Cornell administration during the regular season just isn’t relevant.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 04:10PM

Just going to chime in with my usual old man two cents - but I agree with just about everything written here - especially Trotsky's request to bring back the striptease. What a loss. And when did the post-quarters flood the ice tradition end? Covid? That's a massive shame.

But since Cleary was brought up - I'll throw in the same story that always periodically gets told, sometimes by me. The 1990 Cornell-Harvard series - Cleary's last before retirement. And him sitting with the pep band pre-game laughing it up. And then after Cornell won the series, him being serenaded with ... whatever ... as he was going off the ice, and him waving goodbye. Those memories were indelibly etched on a young reporter's brain. Just great stuff.

It was also the series where I snapped a picture of Tim Vanini scoring a big goal in Game 2 - which I still have - and with him doing the broadcasts these days, it was hard not to think of that constantly this weekend, especially since he talked about the series a lot - go figure.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 04:22PM

Robb
BearLover
sah67
BearLover

Because the vast majority of the students chant "Fuck 'em up, fuck 'em up, Go CU!" during Gary Glitter instead of "Rough 'em up." Rumor has it the ECAC commish was already very displeased with the student section behavior during Game 1, and Schafer's reading of the riot act to the students over the PA during the period break last night may have been a result of that (and the students' continued F-bomb-laden chants.)
The vast majority of students have been chanting that for at least the last 15 years. They’ve also been chanting “Fuck you, Harvard!” for a long time now. What changed Friday night?

Are we never allowed to play Gary Glitter again now? That’s everybody’s favorite cheer (including the players’ if you listen to their interviews).
what changed Friday night was that it was not a Cornell home game. It was an ECAC playoff game, put on by the ECAC. If they have different ideas of the rules, or how strictly they should be enforced, well, that’s their prerogative. What was acceptable to the Cornell administration during the regular season just isn’t relevant.
The ECAC gets to dictate the rules during the conference tournament, but not during the regular season? Cornell hosted the playoff game, just as they host home games during the regular season. I wasn’t aware there was a substantive difference. It seems bizarre to me the ECAC has authority during a playoff game hosted by a team that it does not have during a regular season game hosted by that same team, against another ECAC team.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2024 04:22PM by BearLover.

Posted by: Robb (107.72.162.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 05:27PM

BearLover
Robb
BearLover
sah67
BearLover

The ECAC gets to dictate the rules during the conference tournament, but not during the regular season? Cornell hosted the playoff game, just as they host home games during the regular season. I wasn’t aware there was a substantive difference. It seems bizarre to me the ECAC has authority during a playoff game hosted by a team that it does not have during a regular season game hosted by that same team, against another ECAC team.
Yes. Same as the NcAA gets to ban alcohol sales for NCAA tournament games at arenas that normally have alcohol sales during the regular season, for another example.

Posted by: ACM (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 06:07PM

adamw
Just going to chime in with my usual old man two cents - but I agree with just about everything written here - especially Trotsky's request to bring back the striptease. What a loss. And when did the post-quarters flood the ice tradition end? Covid? That's a massive shame.

When the high glass was installed, making it impossible to go on the ice by climbing over the glass.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 06:24PM

ECAC gets the chunk of the money so they make the rules.

Date: March 17, 2024 07:16PM

Robb
BearLover
Robb
BearLover
sah67
BearLover

Yes. Same as the NcAA gets to ban alcohol sales for NCAA tournament games at arenas that normally have alcohol sales during the regular season, for another example.
Interesting. Well, I guess that means we’ll have Gary Glitter back next year, at least.

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 07:23PM

ACM
adamw

When the high glass was installed, making it impossible to go on the ice by climbing over the glass.

Climbing over the glass to mingle with the team ended when the new glass went in but, with the right encouragement, fans went on the ice through the open doors to celebrate for at least a couple of years after that. I was one of the "adults" who pushed students to do it the first year, because it was one of the few times fans could hang with the team unless they were friends off ice and it was a tradition I had shared in for years, first as a student and then as a faculty member.

Date: March 17, 2024 07:27PM

ACM
adamw

Yes, but at least as recently as 5 years ago? Maybe 10 - time flies ... fans were allowed to come on the ice through the zamboni doors. I thought I remember seeing that as recently as a few years ago - but again, time flies, so who knows.

Date: March 17, 2024 07:33PM

adamw
ACM
adamw

Yes, but at least as recently as 5 years ago? Maybe 10 - time flies ... fans were allowed to come on the ice through the zamboni doors. I thought I remember seeing that as recently as a few years ago - but again, time flies, so who knows.
I think it has been at least 15 years.

Posted by: Iceberg (---.102.nstelecablecr.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 07:39PM

adamw
ACM
adamw

I can tell you that ~15 years ago when I was a student, there was no such entry onto the ice after games and there was virtually no opportunity to interact with the players unless you were classmates, working with the team in a media capacity, or socially acquainted. I specifically remember one instance at the end of a PE hockey class where the rink manager or whoever ran rink operations at the time was quick to call us off the ice because the team happened to have a practice afterwards. There was always clear separation so I imagine there was a change at least a few years before 2010 when I first started living on North Campus
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2024 07:39PM by Iceberg.

Posted by: sah67 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:05PM

Iceberg

I can tell you that ~15 years ago when I was a student, there was no such entry onto the ice after games and there was virtually no opportunity to interact with the players unless you were classmates, working with the team in a media capacity, or socially acquainted.

During my undergrad days (a few years before yours), there was an annual “Skate with the Big Red” event where students (and maybe staff?) could show up and have essentially a “free skate” session with members of the men’s and women’s teams. It was a lot of fun, but it clearly didn’t continue much longer than that.

EDIT: I guess it’s still a thing: [www.cornellhockeyassociation.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2024 08:15PM by sah67.

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:16PM

sah67
Iceberg

I can tell you that ~15 years ago when I was a student, there was no such entry onto the ice after games and there was virtually no opportunity to interact with the players unless you were classmates, working with the team in a media capacity, or socially acquainted.

During my undergrad days (a few years before yours), there was an annual “Skate with the Big Red” event where students (and maybe staff?) could show up and have essentially a “free skate” session with members of the men’s and women’s teams. It was a lot of fun, but it clearly didn’t continue much longer than that.

I don't know what's taking them so long to bring it back. Bring back the ice-storming tradition too. Why are they being so stupid when people can be making great memories for almost free. What kind of morons are running this show?

Posted by: DL (---.bas512.cwt.btireland.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:21PM

BearLover
sah67
BearLover

But the question still remains—what’s wrong with Gary Glitter? The students have been dropping F-bombs during that song for 20 years.

And the ushers have been tossing some of them out for that to “make an example” off and on over the last 20 years (although they do seem to have chilled out on the ejections during the last few years). Maybe it was an Andy Noel thing, and the new AD wants to have a better reputation with the students? That’s been my impression at least, although I think having ECAC brass in the building (like last night) causes sphincters to tighten up a bit amongst athletics staff.
In four years of sitting in the student section with everyone yelling “fuck ‘em up,” never once did I see someone tossed out for that.

Pretty sure I got tossed out over 20 years ago because they claimed I said fuck 'em up. Ironic, as that was one of the times I actually wasn't, though loads more around me were. Course, I just came back in a different entrance, but it was still a pretty shit thing to do.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:32PM

imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

I don't know what's taking them so long to bring it back. Bring back the ice-storming tradition too. Why are they being so stupid when people can be making great memories for almost free. What kind of morons are running this show?

The seems to be some interest in suppressing storming the court after basketball games since the Duke player was injured a few weeks ago. It's hard for me to imagine managers worried about liability condoning it at hockey games. [www.espn.com]

Posted by: CUDrew0105 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:35PM

The going on to the ice after winning in the quarters went away sometime around 2008. We went on the ice routinely when we won quarters from the late 90's to mid-2000s. It was a really cool thing to do and the players seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Heck, it was how I got Iggulden to sign my home jersey (well to be fair, I had my girlfriend wear the jersey and ask him to sign it...but jersey and now wife are still going strong almost 20 years later!) Others would bring jerseys, programs, and cameras to have players sign and/or take pictures. It is a shame it went away.

As for the game, it was one of the best Harvard x Cornell games in recent memory. The team has been trending in the right direction the last few weeks and the play of the freshman has been really impressive. The student section clearly needs to work on some new cheers and some old ones need to make a come back. I dislike the profanity and find it completely unoriginal. That seems to be a relatively recent development over the last few years as I don't remember it being a thing a few years ago. But it led to my oldest daughter putting her hands over my youngest's ears every few minutes, which humored those around us in O.

Here's to hoping we can figure out the yeti that mans the Dartmouth goal!

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:52PM

sah67
Iceberg

It’s the best night of the year. It’s the Friday after their last games of the fall semester. Have made some lifelong friends at this event.

Date: March 17, 2024 08:53PM

David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

The seems to be some interest in suppressing storming the court after basketball games since the Duke player was injured a few weeks ago. It's hard for me to imagine managers worried about liability condoning it at hockey games. [www.espn.com]

yeah except nobody was storming - they literally had an orderly exit through the zamboni doors and everyone just commiserated and had fun.

bring in back ... and 15 years? bollocks I say. time can't fly that fast. (checks notes: it does)

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 17, 2024 08:56PM

Trotsky
sah67
Trotsky
The crowd is loud and engaged, which is tremendous, but they still have very little creativity.

And now we get a third period fish thrown and a “Season’s over” chant with a full period to play.
Frat boys gonna frat.

Friday night the “scoreboard, scoreboard” chants started early second period. That didn’t age well

Date: March 17, 2024 09:30PM

CUDrew0105
The going on to the ice after winning in the quarters went away sometime around 2008. We went on the ice routinely when we won quarters from the late 90's to mid-2000s. It was a really cool thing to do and the players seemed to genuinely enjoy it. Heck, it was how I got Iggulden to sign my home jersey (well to be fair, I had my girlfriend wear the jersey and ask him to sign it...but jersey and now wife are still going strong almost 20 years later!) Others would bring jerseys, programs, and cameras to have players sign and/or take pictures. It is a shame it went away.

As for the game, it was one of the best Harvard x Cornell games in recent memory. The team has been trending in the right direction the last few weeks and the play of the freshman has been really impressive. The student section clearly needs to work on some new cheers and some old ones need to make a come back. I dislike the profanity and find it completely unoriginal. That seems to be a relatively recent development over the last few years as I don't remember it being a thing a few years ago. But it led to my oldest daughter putting her hands over my youngest's ears every few minutes, which humored those around us in O.

Here's to hoping we can figure out the yeti that mans the Dartmouth goal!
The profanity has going on for a while. [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 17, 2024 09:31PM

sah67
Iceberg

I was at a regular public free skate at Lynah when I was an undergrad, just shuffling around the ice like the southern boy I grew up as. One time when I managed to look up from my skates, there was some sort of creature just flowing over the ice. He was only doing 3 mph, like the crowd, but he moved, just, differently. Like the differnece between a swimming human and a swimming dolphin. Even at that speed, doing absolutely nothing, his grace just drew the eye. Turns out it was Mike Sancimino '96. I still have no idea what he was doing at that public skate, but being out there with him live sure gave me a greater appreciation for the absolute skill those guys have on the ice.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.85.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 01:04AM

adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

yeah except nobody was storming - they literally had an orderly exit through the zamboni doors and everyone just commiserated and had fun.

bring in back ... and 15 years? bollocks I say. time can't fly that fast. (checks notes: it does)

All that. The first "storming" of the ice that happened in my era was the Nov. 11, 1995 game that broke the Harvard streak. (OK, there were only a few of us that went over the glass, but it was still pretty great & smelly), and the 1996 QF win vs. Colgate was such a party atmosphere and represented such a return of the program, we went over the glass again. I recall, perhaps wrongly, the players helping some folks over. The next couple years it kept happening until they replaced the low glass with metal supports with the high seamless glass, as Arthur mentioned. By then, "tradition" gave the expectation of the student section joining, so an orderly line to the open the Zamboni doors followed, supported by the rink staff. Players certainly waved A & B towards the ice. I couldn't tell you the last year of that.

Posted by: redice (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 01:25AM

RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

All that. The first "storming" of the ice that happened in my era was the Nov. 11, 1995 game that broke the Harvard streak. (OK, there were only a few of us that went over the glass, but it was still pretty great & smelly), and the 1996 QF win vs. Colgate was such a party atmosphere and represented such a return of the program, we went over the glass again. I recall, perhaps wrongly, the players helping some folks over. The next couple years it kept happening until they replaced the low glass with metal supports with the high seamless glass, as Arthur mentioned. By then, "tradition" gave the expectation of the student section joining, so an orderly line to the open the Zamboni doors followed, supported by the rink staff. Players certainly waved A & B towards the ice. I couldn't tell you the last year of that.

Not completely true. I recall specifically that the "storming" happened after the Randy Wilson game ON March 6, 1979. I cannot recall if that was the first one.

Date: March 18, 2024 01:37AM

redice
RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

Not completely true. I recall specifically that the "storming" happened after the Randy Wilson game ON March 6, 1979. I cannot recall if that was the first one.

He said it was the first of his era, not the first. My first storming came in 1985 when we won the QF and got back to Boston after a 3-year absence which had spanned my entire undergrad, and we most definitely went over the short glass. It was not that difficult, taller fans were helping shorter ones, etc. We then did it every home QF win until at least the late 90s, at which point I had stopped going to QFs and don't know.

I just assumed the fans had always done it going all the way back to the beginnings of the modern program. It was very special being with your friends on the ice, and the players would stay and hug family and GFs and just random strangers. Also the players, already taller than most of us, just towered over us in their skates, so it was "Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world / Like a Colossus, and we petty men / Walk under his huge legs and peep about." As young students it was almost like returning to childhood and being with an older brother; it was just a good, solid, family feeling, and probably a big reason I became welded to this maddening, heart-breaking team.
Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2024 01:46AM by Trotsky.

Posted by: BMac (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 07:49AM

Since everyone is speculating: the high glass was installed before the 2005-06 season.

So the first clarkson qf series, ending in Topher Scott’s overtime goal (and jumping about a meter), was the last climb-the-glass moment.

The following year’s clarkson qf series, which had the longest game in Lynah history to date, ended in Moulson’s OT goal and we went through the Zamboni doors.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2024 07:55AM

Give My Regards
Trotsky
IIRC one of the two ties we got during The Troubles (0-10-2) would have been a win but the eejits cost us a penalty and Harvard scored the tying goal on powerplay.

The one I can still remember was '95, the last one of that streak, when somebody heaved a fish onto the ice at the start of the second period. Minor was called and announced, and then Arthur read the no-throwing-things announcement for the third time that night, adding in his best I'm-surrounded-by-assholes voice, "as has just been demonstrated, the referees WILL call a penalty." Harvard scored on the PP. Not the game-winner, but their first goal in a game the Big Red would lose 2-1.

I wasn't even there, and I remember that one: [amurgsval.org]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2024 07:57AM

Chris '03
andyw2100
Dunc
What the fuck. They kicked me out cuz for starting Garry glitter due to “swears”.. in my last Cornell hockey game… I’m literally crying….-

That's ridiculous!

I'm guessing the band didn't play it because they somehow thought Schafer didn't want them to? I really don't think that was his intention.

It's probably a few years before your time, Dunc, but for a number of years the ushers would go down to the glass during "Gary Glitter" looking up into the sections for people saying "F 'em up" instead of "Rough 'em up", and then try to throw those people out. But that hasn't been the practice for a while now.

I'm seriously shocked and appalled that you got thrown out for starting a song the pep band has been regularly playing because tonight they chose not to play it.

I heard third hand that ECAC commissioner directed the band not to play it.

Does the band not playing Gary Glitter mean they can go back to playing "Gonna Fly Now" at the start of the third period, or has that passed out of institutional memory?

For that matter, did they manage to play "Love Story" this weekend? IIRC that got cut off by quick returns from intermission lately.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.79.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:47AM

BMac
Since everyone is speculating: the high glass was installed before the 2005-06 season.

So the first clarkson qf series, ending in Topher Scott’s overtime goal (and jumping about a meter), was the last climb-the-glass moment.

The following year’s clarkson qf series, which had the longest game in Lynah history to date, ended in Moulson’s OT goal and we went through the Zamboni doors.

Seamless glass went in for 2001 season I'm pretty sure. The 2000 Harvard quintafinal was definitely an over the glass event. In 2001 I think some people went over the seamless but the zamboni doors got opened. In 2002 it was more or less the same. And I think by 2003 it was all zamboni door.

Thread here more or less corroborates: [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: ACM (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:51AM

Trotsky
redice
RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

He said it was the first of his era, not the first. My first storming came in 1985 when we won the QF and got back to Boston after a 3-year absence which had spanned my entire undergrad, and we most definitely went over the short glass. It was not that difficult, taller fans were helping shorter ones, etc. We then did it every home QF win until at least the late 90s, at which point I had stopped going to QFs and don't know.

I just assumed the fans had always done it going all the way back to the beginnings of the modern program. It was very special being with your friends on the ice, and the players would stay and hug family and GFs and just random strangers. Also the players, already taller than most of us, just towered over us in their skates, so it was "Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world / Like a Colossus, and we petty men / Walk under his huge legs and peep about." As young students it was almost like returning to childhood and being with an older brother; it was just a good, solid, family feeling, and probably a big reason I became welded to this maddening, heart-breaking team.

First documented instance of fans storming the ice after a game was February 3, 1962, when Laing Kennedy made 48 saves as Cornell beat Harvard 2-1. See pp. 33-41 in "Forever Faithful", or p. 243 in Bob Kane's "Good Sports".

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:59AM

ACM
Trotsky
redice
RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

First documented instance of fans storming the ice after a game was February 3, 1962, when Laing Kennedy made 48 saves as Cornell beat Harvard 2-1. See pp. 33-41 in "Forever Faithful", or p. 243 in Bob Kane's "Good Sports".
Eyewitness here.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 09:39AM

I'm on a zoom with the people I work with and one of them went to his first-ever Cornell hockey game Saturday night with his wife and two kids, both of whom are less than two years old. His attitude about the cussing was, "well they're going to hear it anyway at some point, what's the difference? We're already seeing guys beat each other up on the ice." He was surprised at Coach Schafer's announcement, as he said it didn't seem to be all that bad.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-244.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 10:13AM

Constant f-bombs aren't, like, innovative. But I have trouble worrying about them in 2024, and the continued effort to censor our crowds strikes me as weird.

Date: March 18, 2024 10:23AM

While I agree it's not the best use of language. I don't know that censoring a college group from occasional yelling in a cheer is a great use of resource time.

The young kids will hear it about 100x during a game from many other sources.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 10:36AM

RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

I remember going over the glass from Section A after the QF sweep of Harvard in 1990. I had transferred in and bought the second half of a season ticket package from someone in my dorm who bought them at the beginning of the season because of peer pressure but was happy to offload them by January. My high school pal and his friends were all on the glass in G, below the netting and i remember running (carefully) over to them to bang the glass back from the other side.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 10:43AM

Give My Regards
I'm on a zoom with the people I work with and one of them went to his first-ever Cornell hockey game Saturday night with his wife and two kids, both of whom are less than two years old. His attitude about the cussing was, "well they're going to hear it anyway at some point, what's the difference? We're already seeing guys beat each other up on the ice." He was surprised at Coach Schafer's announcement, as he said it didn't seem to be all that bad.

It seems it was only an issue when the league brass came to town. I assume they’re melting the ice this week and we’ve got 7 months for memories to fade over a hot summer. This too shall pass.

I recall Coach Schafer scolding the students over the PA after “The Refs Fuck Sheep” got new lungs and “Asshole” started being appended every time to “See ya” (before “you goon” started manifesting). He had young kids at the time.

I liked it when a few years prior, Section B just chanted “SHEEP *pause* THE REF *pause* SHEEP …”

It’s never the right words that are most effective in chants/cheers, but the right *silences*. Very few students understand that.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 10:50AM

redice
RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

Sure. As Trotsky said, I made a point to say “my era.” We’ve all seen the video of 70s long-haired hippies dancing around the ice looking for Gemmel or Nethary. Or Randy Wilson. Personally, I’ve probably watched that thing 100s of times. :-)

Posted by: Will (---.coecis.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2024 10:52AM

Give My Regards
As the parent of a 10 year-old, I have mixed feelings on the issue myself. I'm lucky that my daughter doesn't utilize vulgar language at all (or is smart enough to know not to use it around me or my wife) so she's not mimicking the "Fuck you ____" cheers. And obviously, as an attendee of most home games over the past few years, she's clearly been exposed to the cuss words already anyway. But it seemed much heavier at the games this weekend. So I'm okay with toning it down a bit. Schafer was right in his comments addressing the crowd: we're better than that.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 11:01AM

Will
Give My Regards
As the parent of a 10 year-old, I have mixed feelings on the issue myself. I'm lucky that my daughter doesn't utilize vulgar language at all (or is smart enough to know not to use it around me or my wife) so she's not mimicking the "Fuck you ____" cheers. And obviously, as an attendee of most home games over the past few years, she's clearly been exposed to the cuss words already anyway. But it seemed much heavier at the games this weekend. So I'm okay with toning it down a bit. Schafer was right in his comments addressing the crowd: we're better than that.
The point isn't whether it is the worst thing in the world; it isn't. It's about whether it is necessary and it definitely is not. I'm mostly shocked that by the playoffs screaming FUCK in an arena (more than a couple of times anyway) isn't boring to you.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 11:11AM

ugarte
Will
Give My Regards
The point isn't whether it is the worst thing in the world; it isn't. It's about whether it is necessary and it definitely is not. I'm mostly shocked that by the playoffs screaming FUCK in an arena (more than a couple of times anyway) isn't boring to you.

Back when "suck" was an ejectable word, the instructions we got were that it was OK if it was part of something long and creative but not to just drone on with "yaaaaalle.... Sucks" twenty times a night. Same idea more or less. Don't be lazy and chant "f you____" over and over again when there is so much more material out there.

Posted by: CU2007 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 12:15PM

I’m no prude; I just think we’re better and more creative than constant f*ck you’s

Date: March 18, 2024 12:31PM

CU2007
I’m no prude; I just think we’re better and more creative than constant f*ck you’s

Thats pretty much the only word kids under like 25 use.

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 01:41PM

Are we witnessing the Dave Portnoy-ification of the Cornell students? Just greenlighting all manner of boorishness?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 02:53PM

I think the problem this weekend was the intensity and frequency of the F U Harvard (as well as directing it against individual players on Saturday) cheer.

The number of students that were doing the cheer meant that no one could miss it. During the season it appeared much less frequently, with less intensity, so could almost be ignored.

I have no idea if the ECAC had anything to do with it, but it would not surprise me if Coach Schafer's announcement was on his own. He's had a long history about not liking profanity at the rink.

Posted by: yougoon (199.79.156.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 05:26PM

RichH
Give My Regards

It seems it was only an issue when the league brass came to town. I assume they’re melting the ice this week and we’ve got 7 months for memories to fade over a hot summer. This too shall pass.

I recall Coach Schafer scolding the students over the PA after “The Refs Fuck Sheep” got new lungs and “Asshole” started being appended every time to “See ya” (before “you goon” started manifesting). He had young kids at the time.

I liked it when a few years prior, Section B just chanted “SHEEP *pause* THE REF *pause* SHEEP …”

It’s never the right words that are most effective in chants/cheers, but the right *silences*. Very few students understand that.
Ironically, it was my inability to shout profanity (a-hole) that led to me standing up and screaming in frustration (at Nickerson?) "you goon!" in one of those quiet moments...

Posted by: W (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:50PM

Hey y'all, in the band, I can shed some light.

The league was getting pissed at all the cursing (there was at least 8 F-You Harvard chants, clearly audible on the broadcast), so the band was asked to not do Gary Glitter for that night, just a one time thing as far as I can tell.

We still play Gonna Fly Now, and Love Story was played both nights.

Posted by: BMac (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 18, 2024 08:52PM

I’m 1000% sure that people jumped over the glass in the 2004-05 clarkson Q1 and that the glass was taller the next season, so we were waved through the Zamboni doors instead. I have a pic with a very happy Matt Moulson on the ice to prove it :-)

He had the look of a man who has just scored the OT goal on his last time on the ice at Lynah. God, he was good that season.

Posted by: Dunc (199.79.156.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 10:53AM

Email just sent to Student season ticket holders from Schafer:

Mike Schafer
Hello,

This past weekend, we completed a series sweep of Harvard in the ECAC Quarterfinals before a sold-out crowd of 4,267. Saturday's decisive win was amplified by the infectious environment in Lynah Rink, which has been cultivated by generations of dedicated student fans.

Our student fans are the core of the Lynah Faithful, and your participation invigorates the atmosphere each time we play at home.

I wanted to take the time to thank you for your support throughout the season, and your willingness to adapt during Saturday night's game. Your resilience and ability to continue the momentum, while refraining from the use of profanities, ultimately contributed to the environment that propelled the team to a win. Supporting our team - while abiding by league rule and being gracious to our opponents - is integral to our success. I encourage you to continue to support the Big Red and our traditions in creative and innovative ways.

This upcoming weekend, Cornell will face Dartmouth in the ECAC Hockey semifinals at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, N.Y. Your continued support is greatly appreciated as we continue our post-season competition.

I also encourage you to stay on the lookout for information regarding season tickets for next year. As I mentioned, the environment in Lynah has been cultivated by generations of student fans, and your perennial support is a pillar of the Cornell Hockey experience.

Go Big Red!

I Thought with the discourse about the student section/profanity, this was relevant to share.

Since I haven’t spoken about it since I posted my message about getting tossed for starting Hey Song, i thought I’d share my thoughts from the perspective of a section B student. I totally agree with everyone here expressing grief towards the “F U _____” chants. I too, along with many of the seniors up front of section B find these “lazy” chants annoying, especially given they are typically started by wasted students who aren’t even always regulars to the student section but who are boisterous and loud enough to get those around them to join in; chants spread like wildfire. I also agree with Schafer when it comes to the need for more creativity and I agree with the general discussion here that the energy in the section as a whole has diminished over the past few years. I remember coming to games growing up and having sustained, steady Let’s go Red chants for long, impactful lengths of time. Even my first game as a student (which was covid era and a half full student section) had more cohesion and unity among the chants in the section - probably because there were still students left from pre-Covid. But now we can’t even manage a “let’s go red” chant for more than 15 seconds.

So I get it. I get the frustration about lack of creativity and the pointlessness of basic chants with just profanity. But at the same time, I don’t see how removing Hey Song, moves us any closer towards a more creative and/or traditional student section. So here’s to hoping it’s a one time thing only due to the sheer number of F U chants on Saturday/pressure from ECAC and not a permanent shift in the mindset of Schafer. As it’s one of the few remaining cohesive chants of the entire student section and the favorite of basically all the players I’ve heard interviewed, it’d be a shame to lose that tradition. I’m hoping Schafer thanking our ability to “adapt” means it is a temporary shift and not something ECAC will prohibit going into next regular season. I guess we will see if they let the band play it at lake placid

Posted by: sah67 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: March 19, 2024 10:56AM

Date: March 19, 2024 10:15PM

Al DeFlorio
ACM
Trotsky
redice
RichH
adamw
David Harding
imafrshmn
sah67
Iceberg

Eyewitness here.
I can't testify as to when the side glass first went up, but I remember sitting in the first row of Section B and having players land in our laps.

Date: March 20, 2024 08:12AM

That statement by Schafer is Marbury v Madison, as far as I'm concerned.

Let's win this thing in Placid. 14 years is too long.

Posted by: Swampy (---.datapacket.com)
Date: March 20, 2024 09:44AM

Trotsky
That statement by Schafer is Marbury v Madison, as far as I'm concerned.

Let's win this thing in Placid. 14 years is too long.

+1

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login