Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Lake Placid-2024

Posted by pmbblblaw 
Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Lake Placid-2024
Posted by: Iceberg (45.131.193.---)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:17PM

SLU PP goal is good after the refs deemed that a clear as day spear was actually a slash that warranted 2 minutes and not 5

Posted by: scoop85 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:18PM

This is getting quite interesting

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:25PM

Announcers just said that St. Lawrence only won one game away from home all season.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:27PM

dbilmes
Announcers just said that St. Lawrence only won one game away from home all season.

Well, that's before they swept Colgate in Hamilton last week

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-210.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:29PM

But 2-0 on the road in the playoffs

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:34PM

Through 2 periods, it looks like Q really didn't come in to this game with a plan other than "we're the better team, and we're already going to the NCAAs". It will be interesting to see how they come out playing in the 3rd, but Kraws is going to be tough to crack.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 05:40PM

Oh this would be real nice. Real, real nice. Turned the game on now that wrestling is in a break.

Date: March 22, 2024 05:46PM

Nice job by Pierre McGuire calling Lynah one of the most difficult rinks to play in!

Date: March 22, 2024 05:49PM

dbilmes
Nice job by Pierre McGuire calling Lynah one of the most difficult rinks to play in!
Yeah, especially when Dartmouth comes to town!

Date: March 22, 2024 06:14PM

Posted by: dag14 (---.dhcp.bhn.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:14PM

ENG

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-210.myvzw.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:16PM

I would say it’s shocking except recall how tough SLU was in Canton against us and against Q and Q does this every year.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:18PM

i see lots of ways we are the 11-12 seed whether quin or stl win game one,

Obviously Dartmouth is in the way and SLU is itself a solid team but my god we could not have asked for a better setup than this to redeem the season.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.78.---)

arugula
I would say it’s shocking except recall how tough SLU was in Canton against us and against Q and Q does this every year.

All these amazing teams and they have 1 ECAC championship.

Flacid in Placid.

Do you believe in Miracles? Yes!!!

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:20PM

ugarte
Obviously Dartmouth is in the way and SLU is itself a solid team but my god we could not have asked for a better setup than this to redeem the season.

Remember Bemidji.

Put away the red jerseys.

Date: March 22, 2024 06:23PM

RichH
ugarte

Remember Bemidji.

Oh, don't you worry. I was thinking about Bemidji as I typed. I'd be more upset about that game if it felt like we blew a game we dominated but damn if that squad didn't rip us to shreds.

Posted by: upprdeck (---.syrcny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:25PM

dont make it easy on QUin and take penalties. STL earned it

Posted by: Robb (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:32PM

RichH
ugarte

Remember Bemidji.

First thing I thought of. Will never forget getting the final score with my family of Cornell alums when we finally got some cell/data service at Phantom Ranch (bottom of the Grand Canyon). What a kick in the nuts.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (104.28.55.---)
Date: March 22, 2024 06:35PM

Iceberg
SLU PP goal is good after the refs deemed that a clear as day spear was actually a slash that warranted 2 minutes and not 5

Spearing in a semifinal. How QU. Brilliant.

Date: March 22, 2024 06:40PM

upprdeck
dont make it easy on QUin and take penalties. STL earned it

Brekke’s boys found another gear or something, it started showing with the Colgate/Cornell series at Appleton. Impressive run, and now 2 wins vs the ‘ticks.

Posted by: VIEWfromK (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 07:20PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I want the easiest path to the Whitelaw and the NCAA's. That means rooting for SLU.

Despising Q is just a bonus.

I felt like Big Red matched up better with Quinnipiac than the other two teams

Date: March 22, 2024 07:23PM

One thing about St. Lawrence is they have a ton of seniors on their squad. I was at Appleton for Senior Night and there were about a dozen seniors being honored before the game. That experience has to be a plus in the postseason.

Date: March 22, 2024 07:39PM

VIEWfromK
Jeff Hopkins '82
I want the easiest path to the Whitelaw and the NCAA's. That means rooting for SLU.

Despising Q is just a bonus.

I felt like Big Red matched up better with Quinnipiac than the other two teams
idk Q lit us up the first time

Date: March 22, 2024 07:44PM

Cooper Black sounds like it should have a Pantone number.

Posted by: underskill (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 07:53PM

dbilmes

Anyone know if Bob Morton is still alive?

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2024 10:20PM

ugarte
RichH
ugarte

Remember Bemidji.

Oh, don't you worry. I was thinking about Bemidji as I typed. I'd be more upset about that game if it felt like we blew a game we dominated but damn if that squad didn't rip us to shreds.

I’d be more upset about that game if I hadn’t met my wife that night.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 22, 2024 10:41PM

Beeeej
ugarte
RichH
ugarte

Remember Bemidji.

I’d be more upset about that game if I hadn’t met my wife that night.
I guess the next question goes to her.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2024 10:56PM

Since I’ve seen them mentioned today—the comeback against Princeton in the ECAC semis and the blown opportunity against Bemidji both occurred my freshman year. Quite an introduction to Cornell hockey. At the time, I didn’t realize how big of a deal the Bemidji loss was.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: March 22, 2024 11:05PM

dbilmes
imafrshmn
Visual estimate of attendance for SLU-Q is 2000-2500
Have the world-famous Q skating cheerleaders made the trip to North Country?

Yes, they did.

Date: March 22, 2024 11:06PM

Robb
RichH
ugarte

Remember Bemidji.

First thing I thought of. Will never forget getting the final score with my family of Cornell alums when we finally got some cell/data service at Phantom Ranch (bottom of the Grand Canyon). What a kick in the nuts.

Yeah? Try watching it in person.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2024 09:34AM

underskill
dbilmes

Bob Norton was alive five years ago when he received an award from the AHCA: [unhwildcats.com] I can't find an obit for him, so I assume he's still alive (but retired). (Wikipedia's "Bob Norton" article is about someone else and there's no disambiguation page.)

I know a lot of people found Norton annoying (constantly telling us what prep school everyone attended), but I loved his enthusiasm for college hockey, and I thought it was a shame when the NCAA broadcasting jobs were handed over to the ESPN clowns (especially Melrose and Booch).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: March 23, 2024 10:26AM

Even though I love ECAC Hockey and would not want to change the conference (except maybe sending Q to HE), it's kind of bothersome how small-time this league looks in the postseason compared to HE and B1G. In football we have seen the B1G and SEC schools claiming that top tier for themselves and it seems like a similar thing is evolving in hockey. HE and B1G conference final fours are very well attended, and also offer much more and better media content. I guess there's not too much that can be done realistically. Lake Placid is still probably the best host for the ECAC. I guess we should be grateful that Lynah is still relatively well attended.

Reported attendance for yesterday's semifinals were both given as 4015. If had to guess based on appearances, it was something like 2500 for SLU-Q and 2000 for CU-Dc with something like 500 watching both. With the snowstorm coming in, gonna be tough to bump up the numbers much for the final unless SLU inspired more folks to take a trip. 3000 would be a good number for today all things considered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 10:35AM by imafrshmn.

Date: March 23, 2024 11:08AM

imafrshmn
Even though I love ECAC Hockey and would not want to change the conference (except maybe sending Q to HE), it's kind of bothersome how small-time this league looks in the postseason compared to HE and B1G. In football we have seen the B1G and SEC schools claiming that top tier for themselves and it seems like a similar thing is evolving in hockey. HE and B1G conference final fours are very well attended, and also offer much more and better media content. I guess there's not too much that can be done realistically. Lake Placid is still probably the best host for the ECAC. I guess we should be grateful that Lynah is still relatively well attended.

The more I think about it, the more I’m getting perturbed that the ECAC final is <surprise!> a 5pm start. The ECAC moved its tournament from Boston in the 90s because we started to feel like we were being treated as an “undercard” to HEA. And now we’re doing it in our own event space for what? It feels like our event is cheapened. Here’s your early-bird special, consolation slot, and don’t forget to tip your waitress.

This should be an event for the town, too. Seeing everyone having dinner, getting psyched for the main event. Sun goes down, spotlight is on. Now it’s, “do we eat at 4pm or 9pm?” All the businesses have to adjust their shifts.

If this is the first move of the new ECAC Hockey commissioner/administration, I’m not impressed.
Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 11:17AM by RichH.

Posted by: marty (---.sub-174-231-58.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:11AM

imafrshmn

Reported attendance for yesterday's semifinals were both given as 4015. If had to guess based on appearances, it was something like 2500 for SLU-Q and 2000 for CU-Dc with something like 500 watching both. With the snowstorm coming in, gonna be tough to bump up the numbers much for the final unless SLU inspired more folks to take a trip. 3000 would be a good number for today all things considered.

The league did something about it last year in Tampa even if it was by way of the unwanted step child.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:12AM

imafrshmn
Even though I love ECAC Hockey and would not want to change the conference (except maybe sending Q to HE), it's kind of bothersome how small-time this league looks in the postseason compared to HE and B1G. In football we have seen the B1G and SEC schools claiming that top tier for themselves and it seems like a similar thing is evolving in hockey. HE and B1G conference final fours are very well attended, and also offer much more and better media content. I guess there's not too much that can be done realistically. Lake Placid is still probably the best host for the ECAC. I guess we should be grateful that Lynah is still relatively

Yep, it's something we've come to accept about the ECAC. It's a mid-major conference. Plays great hockey, but it is comprised of (mostly) academic institutions, not sport factories, and most of us wouldn't change that for the world. Sure, we'd like some more national respect and coverage, recruits and shiny things, but it wins championships, produces NHL talent, and has excellent entertainment value. Enjoy it for what it is.

Date: March 23, 2024 11:24AM

The Rancor
imafrshmn
Even though I love ECAC Hockey and would not want to change the conference (except maybe sending Q to HE), it's kind of bothersome how small-time this league looks in the postseason compared to HE and B1G. In football we have seen the B1G and SEC schools claiming that top tier for themselves and it seems like a similar thing is evolving in hockey. HE and B1G conference final fours are very well attended, and also offer much more and better media content. I guess there's not too much that can be done realistically. Lake Placid is still probably the best host for the ECAC. I guess we should be grateful that Lynah is still relatively

Yep, it's something we've come to accept about the ECAC. It's a mid-major conference. Plays great hockey, but it is comprised of (mostly) academic institutions, not sport factories, and most of us wouldn't change that for the world. Sure, we'd like some more national respect and coverage, recruits and shiny things, but it wins championships, produces NHL talent, and has excellent entertainment value. Enjoy it for what it is.

That’s fine, but we don’t have to act like it. We retreated to this lovely resort town, and can put on our own show for our own fans. 4000-6000 feels about right for our league convention/festival. Let’s put on a show rather than show fealty. We have the local attention.

One thing I’m noticing, picking my head out of the sand and looking around for the first time in a while, the (new) CCHA is now noticeably lower tier than the AHA, and with historic programs. They’re holding their tournament on campus. I’m super grateful we still have an event like this.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:27AM

RichH
The Rancor
imafrshmn

That’s fine, but we don’t have to act like it. We retreated to this lovely resort town, and can put on our own show for our own fans. 4000-6000 feels about right for our league convention/festival. Let’s put on a show rather than show fealty. We have the local attention.

One thing I’m noticing, picking my head out of the sand and looking around for the first time in a while, the (new) CCHA is now noticeably lower tier than the AHA, and with historic programs. They’re holding their tournament on campus. I’m super grateful we still have an event like this.

Totally agree. I was confused about the 5:00 start time as well. Must be a basketball thing, was my thought. But We're hockey fans! Why care about that??

Posted by: newco113 (---.sub-174-197-204.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:53AM

imafrshmn

The 4,015 was for the Friday session. They don’t combine the 2 games together to get that figure. When you scan your ticket you’re counted for both, whether you actually are there or not. There were definitely more people there for the first game though. Was pretty obvious. St. Lawrence had a very good turnout, as expected. Cornell did as well. I actually think there were more Dartmouth fans there than Q, but neither brought much for fans. Should be a great game tonight!

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:55AM

I seem to recall that the Boston Garden was nearly full for the ECAC in the mid 80s. I get that we can’t go back there, but how about Barclays or UBS or the Prudential. I’m sure MSG is too pricy. In the highly likely event that Cornell is in the semi finals there will be a strong likely five figure not half empty crowd.

Having the event in small to tiny markets guarantees small to tiny crowds. In NYC you can find 10,000 people to do anything.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.132.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 12:06PM

RichH
imafrshmn

The more I think about it, the more I’m getting perturbed that the ECAC final is <surprise!> a 5pm start. The ECAC moved its tournament from Boston in the 90s because we started to feel like we were being treated as an “undercard” to HEA. And now we’re doing it in our own event space for what? It feels like our event is cheapened. Here’s your early-bird special, consolation slot, and don’t forget to tip your waitress.

This should be an event for the town, too. Seeing everyone having dinner, getting psyched for the main event. Sun goes down, spotlight is on. Now it’s, “do we eat at 4pm or 9pm?” All the businesses have to adjust their shifts.

If this is the first move of the new ECAC Hockey commissioner/administration, I’m not impressed.

The only positive for 5p is that it makes it easier for folks coming 2-4 hrs to day trip and not get home well after midnight. (And wrestling fans can watch both back to back)

It's otherwise lousy all the way around. Sorry guys playing Friday night. Come back on less than usual rest to play Saturday for a title. But next week you'll have extra rest if you advance at ncaas.

I also think the best of three game 3s on Sunday afternoons are dumb.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:07PM

arugula
I seem to recall that the Boston Garden was nearly full for the ECAC in the mid 80s. I get that we can’t go back there, but how about Barclays or UBS or the Prudential. I’m sure MSG is too pricy. In the highly likely event that Cornell is in the semi finals there will be a strong likely five figure not half empty crowd.

Having the event in small to tiny markets guarantees small to tiny crowds. In NYC you can find 10,000 people to do anything.

I've been thinking about this... is it worth it to bring in a ton of truly neutral fans to fill the seats in a bigger market venue, or does that somehow compromise the energy in the building? Our HE and B1G peers somehow manage to cultivate a lot more fans who are not directly connected with the institutions, and sell a sleeker more professional looking show. It helps when you are bigtime in football or basketball and have that legacy of sports branding. To be honest it grosses me out a little bit and i don't think the answer is to imitate them. The answer is to celebrate our own virtues and do what we do best. I'm much happier seeing the bespoke ECAC championship logo at center ice than, say, a River Rat or a Bruins 'B'.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:19PM

imafrshmn
arugula

I've been thinking about this... is it worth it to bring in a ton of truly neutral fans to fill the seats in a bigger market venue, or does that somehow compromise the energy in the building? Our HE and B1G peers somehow manage to cultivate a lot more fans who are not directly connected with the institutions, and sell a sleeker more professional looking show. It helps when you are bigtime in football or basketball and have that legacy of sports branding. To be honest it grosses me out a little bit and i don't think the answer is to imitate them. The answer is to celebrate our own virtues and do what we do best. I'm much happier seeing the bespoke ECAC championship logo at center ice than, say, a River Rat or a Bruins 'B'.

I got a kick out of seeing the lame Rowdy River Rat on the Barlow goal replay. And the ECAC lives and dies in Albany.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:22PM

RichH
imafrshmn

I remember that in 1996, the final was at 4pm, since we had dinner and drove back to Kingston afterwards. But that was back when there was a Consy, which was at 1pm.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:30PM

jtwcornell91
RichH
imafrshmn

I remember that in 1996, the final was at 4pm, since we had dinner and drove back to Kingston afterwards. But that was back when there was a Consy, which was at 1pm.

Huh! Fuzzy memories.

“The time of the University of Vermont Victory Parade to the Arena has been changed from 3pm to noon.”

I still haven’t heard a sporting event laugh so loudly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 12:31PM by RichH.

Date: March 23, 2024 12:59PM

To give you an idea of how second class this tournament feels, there are no programs at the rink and not even a QR code to scan for one (like there was last year). They just didn't bother creating one. Also, there's a single tiny stand selling souvenirs. None of it has the name of the schools on it - all the souvenirs simply have the tournament logo. In other words, the tournament did the bare minimum of preparing for the fans.

Add that to the ridiculous prices for hotels, food, etc. And the fact that almost all of the restaurants are closed when the late game ends. They claim the town supports this but it's really hard to see that in practice.

I keep hoping we find some place better than LP, but sadly, I think there's not really a better option. But personally, I'm thinking Albany was better than here.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 01:09PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 01:02PM

RichH

“The time of the University of Vermont Victory Parade to the Arena has been changed from 3pm to noon.”

Reminds me of an unfortunately prescient headline in the November 7, 2016 edition of the NY Post - Clinton calls off Election Night fireworks.

Date: March 23, 2024 01:08PM

I also heard something interesting at the rink last night. Apparently, Vermont has been trying to get some OOC games with Cornell, but "Cornell's AD was so pissed about UVM leaving the ECAC for Hockey East that he refused to ever allow Cornell to play them."

Maybe our new AD will allow that to happen now?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 01:21PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I keep hoping we find some place better than LP, but sadly, I think there's not really a better option. But personally, I'm thinking Albany was better than here.
Agree

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 01:24PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
To give you an idea of how second class this tournament feels, there are no programs at the rink and not even a QR code to scan for one (like there was last year). They just didn't bother creating one. Also, there's a single tiny stand selling souvenirs. None of it has the name of the schools on it - all the souvenirs simply have the tournament logo. In other words, the tournament did the bare minimum of preparing for the fans.

Add that to the ridiculous prices for hotels, food, etc. And the fact that almost all of the restaurants are closed when the late game ends. They claim the town supports this but it's really hard to see that in practice.

While there are certain aspects of Lake Placid that are appealing, for the reasons you mention I would prefer Albany or another venue closer to the league’s geographic footprint. While the Prudential Center would be a nice geographic fit, I’m not sure an NHL sized arena is appropriate for this league. Any of the AHL arenas in a metropolitan area would seem to be a better choice.

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 02:02PM

jtwcornell91
underskill
dbilmes

Bob Norton was alive five years ago when he received an award from the AHCA: [unhwildcats.com] I can't find an obit for him, so I assume he's still alive (but retired). (Wikipedia's "Bob Norton" article is about someone else and there's no disambiguation page.)

I know a lot of people found Norton annoying (constantly telling us what prep school everyone attended), but I loved his enthusiasm for college hockey, and I thought it was a shame when the NCAA broadcasting jobs were handed over to the ESPN clowns (especially Melrose and Booch).

I had the pleasure of doing some games with Bob. Still alive somewhere. A really really nice man, and his hockey knowledge was pretty deep. Sure he knew more Eastern guys than West, sure he talked about preps a lot -- but it was all worth it to have his insight and knowledge on the games.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:09PM

scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82

While there are certain aspects of Lake Placid that are appealing, for the reasons you mention I would prefer Albany or another venue closer to the league’s geographic footprint. While the Prudential Center would be a nice geographic fit, I’m not sure an NHL sized arena is appropriate for this league. Any of the AHL arenas in a metropolitan area would seem to be a better choice.

OK. Then I vote for Allentown. Plenty of hotels. Good selection of food in the arena. Decent restaurants downtown (and more in the burbs). Only $6 for parking. 3 hours from Ithaca.

And I can sleep in my own bed. whistle

Posted by: redice (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 02:09PM

Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
Agree

+1

Date: March 23, 2024 02:11PM

arugula

No, no, no, no and no.

You put it in a bigger building in places like that, and you will get 5,000 in a 20,000 seat arena, instead of 3,000 in LP - with the potential for more if the teams are right.

I've said it for 30 years - embrace what you are. Lake Placid is what makes the ECAC special. Do the best you can with that and embrace it.

Also - Albany is a sh*thole.

Going somewhere else would not make the ECAC look bigger. It would make it look smaller - because it would still be empty, and also in a stupid town of some sort.

The Big Ten tournament had crowds sometimes of just friends and family. If Michigan/MSU played neutral at Xcel, no one would be there. Vice versa if it was in Detroit. That's why they went to campus sites.

Hockey East has it easy. But if there's years where the wrong teams are there, TD Garden is half full too.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 02:12PM by adamw.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:19PM

adamw

It may be a shithole, but it's our shithole. dribble

You're right, I guess. I just wish that Lake Placid didn't rip off the fans. The woman checking me in at my hotel yesterday told me that all the hotels look forward to the ECAC tournament...so they can jack up their rates!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 02:20PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:20PM

redice
Al DeFlorio
Jeff Hopkins '82
Agree

+1

Since I live in what could be called East Albany I was in favor of this but I remember a lot who favored L.P. That said I'm sitting just to the right of the band and enjoyed the 3rd period.

Before the switch to Albany I never made it to L.P. in the winter.

Posted by: Chris '03 (104.28.77.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 02:35PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I haven't been to placid since before the Albany years. But this is depressing. Sounds like one of the many youth tournaments they host more than a D1 conference championship.

One of the benefits of Placid over Albany is that it can be the main event in town. But if it's not even that, it's really disappointing. A half baked experience will only increase the number of calls to just go on campus.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:45PM

Chris '03
Jeff Hopkins '82

I haven't been to placid since before the Albany years. But this is depressing. Sounds like one of the many youth tournaments they host more than a D1 conference championship.

One of the benefits of Placid over Albany is that it can be the main event in town. But if it's not even that, it's really disappointing. A half baked experience will only increase the number of calls to just go on campus.

When browsing the stores today I heard 2 or 3 patents with their peewees in tow looking forward to tonight's game. So the youth factor in L.P. obviously puts fans in the seats.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:51PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

So I guess the Aubuchon Hardware and “Got Milk?” advertising dollars have dried up?

Date: March 23, 2024 02:56PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
adamw

You're right, I guess. I just wish that Lake Placid didn't rip off the fans. The woman checking me in at my hotel yesterday told me that all the hotels look forward to the ECAC tournament...so they can jack up their rates!

I agree that sucks - and I've tried to get in the ear of people there to prevent that stuff - but who am I? (don't answer)

For the record, I support LP for the ECAC Tournament - even though getting to Albany, and especially Atlantic City (or MSG/Barclays/Pru) were FAR easier for me to get to personally. AC was a 1-hour drive from where I used to live, and LP is 6 hours, often on bad conditions on Rte. 30. But I don't care - I always gladly made that drive.

Same now - since moving to Denver - it's pretty impossible for me to get to LP. It's killing me I'm not there right now. It would be far easier anywhere else. But I still support LP for the ECAC, 100%, all day every day.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 03:04PM

adamw
For the record, I support LP for the ECAC Tournament - even though getting to Albany, and especially Atlantic City (or MSG/Barclays/Pru) were FAR easier for me to get to personally. AC was a 1-hour drive from where I used to live, and LP is 6 hours, often on bad conditions on Rte. 30. But I don't care - I always gladly made that drive.

Used to take the train to the Atlantic City tournaments. Always regretted having left my couch to attend the Atlantic City tournaments.

Nice rink! Awful, awful place.

Date: March 23, 2024 03:13PM

Scersk '97
adamw

Used to take the train to the Atlantic City tournaments. Always regretted having left my couch to attend the Atlantic City tournaments.

Nice rink! Awful, awful place.

I always remember pulling out of the parking garage at night after the games seeing a bunch of strip joints. Awful place indeed.

Posted by: Pghas (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 03:35PM

Meh, who needs all the bells and whistles? We get to cheer for a college hockey team that is nationally ranked on a consistent basis. There are Ivy League schools who don’t have hockey or lacrosse teams and therefore are never relevant on a national level athletically ( I went to one as an undergraduate ). Lake Placid is what it is. It’s a destination because of its incredible history with respect to USA hockey. Every youth hockey team in the northeast plays in tournaments there. It’s pretty centrally located with respect to the ECAC. And the fact that the ECAC is comprised of schools who pride themselves on academics means that neutral sites will not result in big turnouts from the schools who make it. One way to think of it is that instead of making it somewhere central to the schools, themselves, do it in a place that is central to the alumni. NYC - UBS or MSG - probably too much for the number of people that would show. So think Bridgeport at Harbor Yard, or somewhere else medium sized in the greater NY area. I don’t know just ideas.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 03:38PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
scoop85
Jeff Hopkins '82

OK. Then I vote for Allentown. Plenty of hotels. Good selection of food in the arena. Decent restaurants downtown (and more in the burbs). Only $6 for parking. 3 hours from Ithaca.

And I can sleep in my own bed. whistle

I know that’s an appealing location to you, and the arena is very nice and the right side, but poor geography for the league.

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 04:11PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
To give you an idea of how second class this tournament feels, there are no programs at the rink and not even a QR code to scan for one (like there was last year). They just didn't bother creating one.

[ecachockey.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 04:14PM by RichH.

Posted by: pjd8 (---.sub-75-253-251.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 04:31PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82
To give you an idea of how second class this tournament feels, there are no programs at the rink and not even a QR code to scan for one (like there was last year). They just didn't bother creating one.

[ecachockey.com]

The fact that someone who cared about the program didn't know of its existence says something. Even after they put together a thorough program, they weren't promoting it enough. They should have had QR codes all over the rink.

If I had paid for advertising in the program, I would have been ticked.

Date: March 23, 2024 05:00PM

pjd8
RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

[ecachockey.com]

The fact that someone who cared about the program didn't know of its existence says something. Even after they put together a thorough program, they weren't promoting it enough. They should have had QR codes all over the rink.

If I had paid for advertising in the program, I would have been ticked.

Agree completely!

Date: March 23, 2024 05:32PM

adamw
Jeff Hopkins '82
adamw

I agree that sucks - and I've tried to get in the ear of people there to prevent that stuff - but who am I? (don't answer)

Same now - since moving to Denver - it's pretty impossible for me to get to LP. It's killing me I'm not there right now. It would be far easier anywhere else. But I still support LP for the ECAC, 100%, all day every day.

Cornell gets 15000 every year at MSG. Why do you think a NYC arena would draw flies for the tournament? Too short notice?

Date: March 23, 2024 05:39PM

arugula
adamw
Jeff Hopkins '82
adamw

Cornell gets 15000 every year at MSG. Why do you think a NYC arena would draw flies for the tournament? Too short notice?

First of all, the MSG games are always during the Thanksgiving break and a lot of students and alumni are in town and have some free time. Secondly, without Cornell making the field, i doubt they could draw more than 8000

Posted by: BMac (104.28.39.---)
Date: March 23, 2024 05:45PM

I bet an ECAC championship at MSG with Cornell in it would be ELECTRIC.

(But I’m biased, it’s the closest rink to me…)

Date: March 23, 2024 05:46PM

BMac
I bet an ECAC championship at MSG with Cornell in it would be ELECTRIC.

(But I’m biased, it’s the closest rink to me…)
i think they should play at Barclays

Date: March 23, 2024 06:02PM

Fair enough but the ECAc at Boston Garden (post HEA split) drew well.

Date: March 23, 2024 06:26PM

The way I’m thinking about it is that Cornell is by far the largest ECAC school with a huge number of alumni in the NYC area. ECAC instead holds the tournament in a tiny village which is difficult to reach and is near the smallest ECAC schools. Granted if Cornell is not in the final four it may not draw but as I mentioned before you can get a crowd for anything when there are 15 million people in the metro area.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 06:37PM

Can someone explain what the problem with Albany was? If you live in the tri-state area it is easily accessible. Lake Placid is not. Many more fans would be able to attend the games if it were held in a more central location like Albany. Was Albany attendance not higher than Lake Placid? Personally, I’m probably never making it up to Lake Placid, but Albany would be easy for me and I’d go most/all years Cornell made it.

Date: March 23, 2024 06:39PM

Agree.

Posted by: redice (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 07:08PM

BearLover
Can someone explain what the problem with Albany was? If you live in the tri-state area it is easily accessible. Lake Placid is not. Many more fans would be able to attend the games if it were held in a more central location like Albany. Was Albany attendance not higher than Lake Placid? Personally, I’m probably never making it up to Lake Placid, but Albany would be easy for me and I’d go most/all years Cornell made it.

I am one Cornell fan who attends the tourney in Albany, with or w/o Cornell in it. LP? I have no interest in that & probably never will.

Date: March 23, 2024 08:06PM

arugula
Fair enough but the ECAc at Boston Garden (post HEA split) drew well.

These are different times. The GLI used to sell out and be electric - and now they couldn't draw for it, so it was moved to Grand Rapids. Just one example. But almost everywhere, attendance for college hockey events is way down from those days.

Date: March 23, 2024 08:07PM

BearLover

Albany attendance was pretty sparse towards the end of the run there, and in a bigger building. And Albany is a sh*thole, as I mentioned.

Date: March 23, 2024 08:07PM

imafrshmn
arugula
adamw
Jeff Hopkins '82
adamw

First of all, the MSG games are always during the Thanksgiving break and a lot of students and alumni are in town and have some free time. Secondly, without Cornell making the field, i doubt they could draw more than 8000

8000? Without Cornell there, there would be 5000 maybe. And doubtful there would be 15000 with Cornell there even. There's also no chance of it ever happening because of availability and cost.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2024 08:08PM by adamw.

Posted by: cth95 (---.sub-174-197-200.myvzw.com)
Date: March 23, 2024 08:33PM

That's frustrating to learn after the games are over. I asked someone at the door after looking around for a program, and she said there weren't any.

Date: March 23, 2024 08:40PM

cth95
That's frustrating to learn after the games are over. I asked someone at the door after looking around for a program, and she said there weren't any.

I agree.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:24PM

Really two issues. First a more central location, second a better game day presentation. No program just astonishing. That’s one of the highlights of sports fandom. Digging through the old boxes and finding a program from a game from 40 years ago.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:34PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

That's terrible. I loved my ECAC tournament tshirts from the 90s/00s with the school Logos in them. One even had the rosters of all five (it was in the days of the PiG) teams.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:42PM

jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82

That's terrible. I loved my ECAC tournament tshirts from the 90s/00s with the school Logos in them. One even had the rosters of all five (it was in the days of the PiG) teams.

I think it’s evidence of an extreme reluctance to spend anything on this. The NYC proposals make me laugh. NO CHANCE they would afford the rent on any venue near NYC. I’m sure they take some ORDA funds and try to pocket everything they can. Over/under on concessions windows open in LP: 2.5? Three packs of store brand hot dogs & after that, close.

Date: March 23, 2024 09:51PM

RichH
jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82

I think it’s evidence of an extreme reluctance to spend anything on this. The NYC proposals make me laugh. NO CHANCE they would afford the rent on any venue near NYC. I’m sure they take some ORDA funds and try to pocket everything they can. Over/under on concessions windows open in LP: 2.5? Three packs of store brand hot dogs & after that, close.

There were quite a few stands around the rink itself, but all they had to eat was candy, pretzels, and hot dogs. I saw someone with chicken tenders, too, which I assume came from the attached "restaurant." I also saw "Adirondack Cola" instead of Coke or Pepsi.

Date: March 23, 2024 10:09PM

RichH
jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82

I think you’re right. I just wish they would understand that maybe there a happy medium between remote LP and expensive NYC. Bridgeport? Sometimes spending money is you know an investment.

Date: March 23, 2024 10:11PM

arugula
RichH
jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82

I think you’re right. I just wish they would understand that maybe there a happy medium between remote LP and expensive NYC. Bridgeport? Sometimes spending money is you know an investment.

IMHO the only places that make sense at this point are Placid and Albany.

Date: March 23, 2024 11:24PM

Albany I get. Centrally located. Why LP?

Posted by: toddlose (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 23, 2024 11:31PM

No shot of alternating campuses like with the ILT? Have exemptions with rinks under a certain capacity? Sucks for Princeton, but who cares? Guaranteed sellouts more than not. Not saying I like it, but just a thought.

Posted by: pjd8 (---.sub-75-253-251.myvzw.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 01:02AM

RichH
jtwcornell91
Jeff Hopkins '82

You don't have to spend anything to have apparel unique to the event. I was at a middle school wrestling tournament today, and they had an apparel vendor with logos unique to the event. They iron them onto the shirts, etc, on the spot, so they bring in a variety of standard clothing, and you pick the item and design you want and they do it in front of you. My kid has been getting them ever since he was competing on a junior olympics gymnastics club in first grade. Surely the ECAC can put on an event as good as a local gymnastics club tourney.

Or not.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 10:14AM

I, for one, have fond memories of Lake Placid. I was there in 1970, when we completed our 27-O-0 season by besting Clarkson 6-4 in the NCAA finals, after beating Wisconsin 2-1 in the semis. We met and chatted with Dick Bertrand, who was ineligible to play, while in town. We reserved hotel rooms shortly after Cornell’s first ECAC game at Lynah, we looked that good!

BTW, Clarkson was still Clarkson Tech in those days, before it became a “University,” some time in the 80s.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:02PM

Lake Placid was great again this year, and I am glad it is our tournament home.

Anne and I have seen us win 7 ECAC titles now. LGR!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: March 24, 2024 09:39PM

Trotsky

I've seen 7 wins, too. I missed 1986, but saw 1980.

Posted by: andyw2100 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 11:00PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky

I've seen 7 wins, too. I missed 1986, but saw 1980.

Seven for me too. (Same seven as Greg.)

But can any of you say you've seen Cornell win the title with three different wives? (This was Kim's first, though she was with me in AC at least once and in Lake Placid at least three times before this year.)

My girlfriend in 1986 was my wife in 1996 and 1997. I was in Albany in 2003 by myself. Wife number two was with me in Albany in 2005 and 2010.

So now that that monkey is off Kim's back I think the next goal is for her to become my wife that has seen Cornell win the MOST Whitelaws.(Better not take another 42 years!)

Date: March 24, 2024 11:21PM

I haven't seen Cornell win the title with any wives. Unless you count someone else's wife who was sitting near me.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 24, 2024 11:46PM

You all are old and crazy.

Date: March 25, 2024 07:54AM

chimpfood
You all are old and crazy.

Yeah, and your point?

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 25, 2024 08:04AM

andyw2100
Seven for me too. (Same seven as Greg.)

But can any of you say you've seen Cornell win the title with three different wives? (This was Kim's first, though she was with me in AC at least once and in Lake Placid at least three times before this year.)

My girlfriend in 1986 was my wife in 1996 and 1997. I was in Albany in 2003 by myself. Wife number two was with me in Albany in 2005 and 2010.

So now that that monkey is off Kim's back I think the next goal is for her to become my wife that has seen Cornell win the MOST Whitelaws.(Better not take another 42 years!)

... mumbles something about you needing to find a new wife if Cornell goes through another title drought ...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2024 08:36AM

andyw2100
So now that that monkey is off Kim's back

I'll say. Her sentence is served; she can clear the way for wife #4. We thank her for her service. banana

Page: Previous1 2 3Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login