Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ St. Lawrence, 2/24

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell @ St. Lawrence, 2/24
Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 25, 2024 05:05PM

I’ve watched and rewatched our two extra-man goals against SLU, 6 skaters versus 5. More players clogging up the ice than on our power plays, yet we scored twice in 91 seconds. What was different? IMO, a greater sense of urgency! We didn’t dick around looking for the perfect set up. We didn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 25, 2024 06:20PM

George64
I’ve watched and rewatched our two extra-man goals against SLU, 6 skaters versus 5. More players clogging up the ice than on our power plays, yet we scored twice in 91 seconds. What was different? IMO, a greater sense of urgency! We didn’t dick around looking for the perfect set up. We didn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Excellent point

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 25, 2024 06:26PM

scoop85
George64

Excellent point
the counterpoint, of course, is that your risk/reward calculus changes a lot when you're losing with the clock running down. not that i think our power play has been fixed or anything, but desperation mode is probably an overcorrection.

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: February 25, 2024 06:29PM

When was the last time we scored 2 or more EA goals in one game?

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 25, 2024 06:32PM

imafrshmn
When was the last time we scored 2 or more EA goals in one game?

as we look back on the season how much time have we spent trailing and had to pull our goalie in the last 2-3 min of games..

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 25, 2024 07:06PM

ugarte
scoop85
George64

Excellent point
the counterpoint, of course, is that your risk/reward calculus changes a lot when you're losing with the clock running down. not that i think our power play has been fixed or anything, but desperation mode is probably an overcorrection.

Yes, the calculus changes, but there has to be a reasonable medium somewhere between desperation mode and over-cautiousness. Despite the puck moving around rapidly, watch how skillfully we keep it in the offensive zone. Psenicka gets the deflection, Seger threads the needle.

Date: February 25, 2024 08:05PM

George64
ugarte
scoop85
George64

Excellent point

Yes, the calculus changes, but there has to be a reasonable medium somewhere between desperation mode and over-cautiousness. Despite the puck moving around rapidly, watch how skillfully we keep it in the offensive zone. Psenicka gets the deflection, Seger threads the needle.
of course. i mean, i haven't exactly been coy about my opinion on this.

Posted by: dbilmes (64.224.255.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 12:04PM

Trotsky
imafrshmn
HEY APPLETON!

WHICH TEAM IS THE WINNING TEAM!?!?!

WHICH TEAM IS THE LOSING TEAM!?!?!

suck on that lollipop
The Traveling Faithful came through loud and clear both nights, in particular that cheer. cheer
I was part of the Traveling Faithful this past weekend. It was great having the pep band at both games.
At St. Lawrence, there weren't a huge amount of Cornell fans. But St. Lawrence had the Cornell pep band seated in Section D, directly behind the Cornell bench. I was part of a small group of fans who were lucky enough to sit with the pep band right behind us and the Cornell bench right in front of us. When the pep band did their cheers and Let's Go Red! chants, etc., it felt like we were in Lynah North. I'm sure the players felt the Section D energy as well, as they gave us an enthusiastic salute after the game. If the pep band had been placed in a corner section it wouldn't have had the same effect. It also helped that St. Lawrence didn't have a pep band there, nor were there a lot of St. Lawrence students at the game. And every time the St. Lawrence students did start an S-L-U chant, the pep hand added a T to the end of it.
The official attendance listed the rink as being barely half full. That all helped created a perfect storm which allowed the impact of the Traveling Faithful to be magnified out of proportion to the amount of Cornell fans actually at the game.
After reading about the St. Lawrence announcers on ESPN, I'm glad I wasn't subject to them that night!
I did miss the Screw BU cheer, which was not played either night, although a member of the pep band assured me that they still do play it.
Being there in person, we noticed the St. Lawrence goalie often banged his stick on the ice, not just to signal the end of a powerplay. For example, at one point Bancroft was set up at the St. Lawrence blue line hoping for a long pass for breakaway, which he did get. Before the puck came to him, the goalie was banging his stick like crazy to get his teammates' attention. That time, at least, it made sense. But there were other times when he seemed to be banging his stick on the ice for no apparent reason.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2024 12:13PM

dbilmes
Trotsky
imafrshmn
HEY APPLETON!

suck on that lollipop
The Traveling Faithful came through loud and clear both nights, in particular that cheer. cheer
I was part of the Traveling Faithful this past weekend. It was great having the pep band at both games.
At St. Lawrence, there weren't a huge amount of Cornell fans. But St. Lawrence had the Cornell pep band seated in Section D, directly behind the Cornell bench. I was part of a small group of fans who were lucky enough to sit with the pep band right behind us and the Cornell bench right in front of us. When the pep band did their cheers and Let's Go Red! chants, etc., it felt like we were in Lynah North. I'm sure the players felt the Section D energy as well, as they gave us an enthusiastic salute after the game. If the pep band had been placed in a corner section it wouldn't have had the same effect. It also helped that St. Lawrence didn't have a pep band there, nor were there a lot of St. Lawrence students at the game. And every time the St. Lawrence students did start an S-L-U chant, the pep hand added a T to the end of it.
The official attendance listed the rink as being barely half full. That all helped created a perfect storm which allowed the impact of the Traveling Faithful to be magnified out of proportion to the amount of Cornell fans actually at the game.
After reading about the St. Lawrence announcers on ESPN, I'm glad I wasn't subject to them that night!
I did miss the Screw BU cheer, which was not played either night, although a member of the pep band assured me that they still do play it.
Being there in person, we noticed the St. Lawrence goalie often banged his stick on the ice, not just to signal the end of a powerplay. For example, at one point Bancroft was set up at the St. Lawrence blue line hoping for a long pass for breakaway, which he did get. Before the puck came to him, the goalie was banging his stick like crazy to get his teammates' attention. That time, at least, it made sense. But there were other times when he seemed to be banging his stick on the ice for no apparent reason.

So goalies can bang sticks. But if Schafer does it, won't somebody please think of the children.

Posted by: ACM (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 26, 2024 04:19PM

Dafatone
dbilmes
Trotsky
imafrshmn
HEY APPLETON!

suck on that lollipop

So goalies can bang sticks. But if Schafer does it, won't somebody please think of the children.

Section 5, rule 40.1 (in part):

"A player, coach or non-playing person shall not bang the boards with a
stick or other instrument.
PENALTY—Minor or bench minor. If a player persists in such action,
a misconduct shall be assessed. If a coach or non-playing
person, with the exception of medical personnel, persists in
such action, a game misconduct shall be assessed. Medical
personnel are subject to supplementary discipline penalties."

I can testify, from the noise ringing in my ears from years of sitting next to the visitor's bench, that this rule has never been enforced.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2024 04:41PM

ACM
Dafatone
dbilmes
Trotsky
imafrshmn
HEY APPLETON!

suck on that lollipop

Section 5, rule 40.1 (in part):

"A player, coach or non-playing person shall not bang the boards with a
stick or other instrument.
PENALTY—Minor or bench minor. If a player persists in such action,
a misconduct shall be assessed. If a coach or non-playing
person, with the exception of medical personnel, persists in
such action, a game misconduct shall be assessed. Medical
personnel are subject to supplementary discipline penalties."

I can testify, from the noise ringing in my ears from years of sitting next to the visitor's bench, that this rule has never been enforced.

It would've been dumb but also kinda funny if they reversed the goal but tossed Schafer.

Date: February 26, 2024 04:57PM

reversed the goal, tossed schafer, gave SLU 30 seconds of 5-3 in OT.

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 06:24PM

I wonder how much they look at that rule as a during play or not during play thing. It also says persists, its a penalty. What does that mean? More than 1 time?

Posted by: imafrshmn (185.141.119.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 06:43PM

Regarding the SLU goalie's stick banging... he was having equipment issues (pads/skate?) the whole night and was clearly uncomfortable with whatever was the problem. So perhaps he was trying to get his team to play for a stoppage whistle.

"The NCAA cannot allow a coach..."
Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 26, 2024 08:58PM

I wanted to memorialize the extra attacker goals on Saturday. A decent amount of color commentator babbling is included.

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 09:50PM

The SLU videoscreen behind the Cornell goalie (periods 1 and 3) is really bright.

But: You can make out the action. Seems to be better resolution than Cornell's video screen.

Posted by: arugula (---.sub-174-216-208.myvzw.com)
Date: February 26, 2024 09:58PM

Thoughts as to why Castagna did not get a chance in the shootout?

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 10:14PM

Lots of band both nights.

Kind of nice Friday, the Cornell band played a couple numbers with the badly outnumbered Clarkson band.

Posted by: pjd8 (---.sub-75-253-251.myvzw.com)
Date: March 02, 2024 11:57AM

billhoward
Lots of band both nights.

Kind of nice Friday, the Cornell band played a couple numbers with the badly outnumbered Clarkson band.

Thanks for the pics! When I was in the band, we had a great relationship with Clarkson, so not surprised that the two bands played together. Nice to hear they still coordinate.

Am surprised to hear the Clarkson band was badly outnumbered. They were really strong in the 80s. But then so was the hockey program, and with a male:female ration of about 7:1, They needed something to do.

Posted by: sah67 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 02, 2024 02:40PM

pjd8
Am surprised to hear the Clarkson band was badly outnumbered. They were really strong in the 80s.

I believe Clarkson was on a “February break” that weekend, hence the weak student showing overall (not just the band).

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login