Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

No kids in Lynah?

Posted by Rick '71 
No kids in Lynah?
Posted by: Rick '71 (---.cit.cornell.edu)
Date: September 16, 2003 09:55AM

My daughter has had several confusing conversations with the Ticket Office. They're telling her that no children (whatever that means) will be allowed in Lynah this year. It's not clear whether that's just supposed to apply to babes in arms (i.e., no tickets) or if there's some new age limit. She's waiting for a call from the Office Manager for a hopefully lucid explanation. Anybody else heard anything about this?

Re: No kids in Lynah?
Posted by: paulspen (128.253.145.---)
Date: September 16, 2003 10:52AM

This is one of those things that is so misguided it can't possibly be true...

or can it?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 16, 2003 11:07AM

I really, really, really hope it isn't true, but sadly it would be typical if they think they can just crap all over their fans who are parents of young kids.

Is the AD deliberately running for the twerp of the year award, or just lucking into it?

And speaking of the mindless, grubbing, mean-spirited, short-sighted inanity that is your Cornell Athletic Department! (pause for cheers), are we going to get effed by the lame internet cast package again?

The sooner we go Vandy, the better.

Post Edited (09-16-03 11:09)

Posted by: ugarte (65.217.153.---)
Date: September 16, 2003 11:52AM

OTOH . . .

welcome back "See ya, asshole!" ;-)

In any event, this can't be true (he says with a stubborn optimism). I would think even the "no babies" restriction is unfair, insupportable - and possibly not even legal. If you can hear the baby crying, you aren't cheering loud enough.

Post Edited (09-16-03 11:57)

Posted by: Bjammin 03 (---.rochester.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2003 11:54AM

and others. . .

Posted by: jy3 (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2003 12:03PM

i would highly doubt that this is true considering people in the ticket line got a speech about what cheers should be altered because of children being in the rink...coach and his wife bring the kids to the rink, right?

Posted by: A-19 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2003 12:08PM

yeah this can't be true, since we're playing the US-under 18 team too.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 17, 2003 12:02AM

I would think it's a liability issue. Very young kids who aren't paying attention to the action on the ice may be more vulnerable to "objects leaving the playing surface." Plus, think of the damage a big old puck could do to a small, fragile noggin.

But whatever the rule is (if in fact there is one), I hope it doesn't keep young Edward, a loyal member of Section C, away from the games.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 17, 2003 12:19AM

Anne '85 wrote:

But whatever the rule is (if in fact there is one), I hope it doesn't keep young Edward, a loyal member of Section C, away from the games.

How young is young Edward? Alas, it's been a long time since I've been close to section C.

Date: September 17, 2003 12:22AM

actually a kid getting hit in the head with a puck would probably have a better outcome and prognosis than say a 70 year old. :-) of course frozen pucks suck no matter who you are (even when clarkson or colgate players are not shooting them into the stands or at benches) twitch

Posted by: the informer (132.236.107.---)
Date: September 17, 2003 03:26PM

They haven't finalized the policy yet, but from what I understand, children are still allowed in the rink, but only if they have a ticket and only if they are old enough to sit in a seat on their own. They no longer want parents bringing in little babies because of the risk of injury. With the amount of people that attend these games and the intensity of the crowd, safety is becoming an even bigger concern. Also, they let kids in free previous yrs, but there just isn't room anymore for extra people.

Get a baby-sitter for the night and leave the babies at home. Look at it as a nice break, you know? And when the child is old enough to sit in the seat and actually watch the game, then you can bring them.

Posted by: jason (---.ip.e-nt.net)
Date: September 17, 2003 04:54PM

I can't say I agree with this. Not letting them in for free, especially if their butt takes up a seat, is acceptable. Feel free to charge me some reduced price for bringing my baby in to the game even if she's strapped to my chest. But there just isn't enough danger present for me to feel it is proper for them say it is absolutely unreasonable for a parent to bring a baby so we need to usurp parental judgment and prohibit it outright. I have a one year-old, and she's already been to three Cornell hockey games. If you sit below the level of the top of the glass and out of the typical areas where an errant shots fall and pay attention whenever the puck is in play, the risk is very, very slim. The ride in the car to and from the game is a bigger risk I'd bet. As a parent I don't want to needlessly expose my child to danger, but to do things as a family unit means leaving the safe confines of your house once and awhile, which inevitably exposes you to some dangers.

Edit: As an aside, she loved the games. Absolutely facinated by all the movement and the sounds coming from the band. It was really something to see.

Post Edited (09-17-03 17:01)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2003 07:11PM

Well as one who has taken my daughter from age 5 mos., she's now 9 years, I felt safer for her when I was holding her than now. You see, I always watch the game, so when I controlled her (just a figure of speach you understand), it was easier to be sure pucks wouldn't hit her. Now that she controls me (ditto) it sure seems more likely that a puck would hit her.

I would like to see any stats to back up their point. nut I suspect it's the lawyer/insurance gestapo again.

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: September 17, 2003 09:38PM

I don't remember Edward's exact age. I'd guess he was about 4 last season (Chris, correct me if you have a better guess) -- he is ambulatory, but not very talkative (he's shy).

Edward and his parents usually come to at least one game per home weekend, and we've been seeing him since he was a baby. I understand he's already learning how to skate, and he joined the team and the other fans on the ice at the end of last season. I hope he'll be back this year.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (128.253.58.---)
Date: September 17, 2003 09:53PM

Having attended my first game at Lynah at the age of 2 and having season tickets since the age of 11, first on the townie side, and now happily on the student side, I would have to say bringing children to games is a great thing. Seeing student athletes preforming so well sends a message to children that college (especially Cornell) is a wonderful thing.

Obviously since the moment I could sit in the seats I had my own ticket, but when I was on my dad's lap I do not feel as though he should have been charged for it.

The best moment for me ever at lynah was the first game after i got in ED [early jan 01] and walked into lynah before gametime, i believe it was against Quinnipiac, and realizing that I now was truely a member of the faithful.
I wish for such a moment for every kid who sees games at Lynah.

-ben rocky

Posted by: Dale (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 09:32AM

informer says:

Get a baby-sitter for the night and leave the babies at home. Look at it as a nice break, you know? And when the child is old enough to sit in the seat and actually watch the game, then you can bring them.

Yeah, if you can afford to buy the kid a seat that is. "Season tickets for the 2015 Cornell hockey season go on sale today. Local banks offer special financing for ticket buyers.";-)

Posted by: Evan '02 (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 11:39AM

Can anyone seriously confirm, deny or expand on this?

Posted by: Greg Berge (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 12:05PM

Perfectly acceptable to me for parents to bring their babies to the game, provided they don't turn around and object to the students' (or even some of us old fogies') rowdiness.

If Cornell wants to cover their ass over litigation, they ought to add to the ticket contract (on the back) explicit language that not only are you on your own but so are your progeny.

I'd love it if every parent of a small child brought them opening night to protest the decision. If nothing else, 800 pre-schoolers gleefully shouting about sheep would make Lynah an even better experience.

Post Edited (09-18-03 12:05)

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: September 18, 2003 01:17PM

Greg Berge '85 wrote:
they ought to add to the ticket contract (on the back) explicit language that not only are you on your own but so are your progeny.
"Yer on yer own, goddammit, and yer stinkin' bastard kids, too!"

That explicit enough? :-P

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:33PM

OK, John. What's the reference?

JH

Posted by: CUlater 89 (---.ambacinc.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 03:52PM

Greg wrote:

[Q]If nothing else, 800 pre-schoolers gleefully shouting about sheep would make Lynah an even better experience.[/Q]

I have a friend who, once he moved over to the townie side of the rink, used to modify various cheers to make them more age-appropriate (or at least when a child would ask what he was saying, he'd tell them the cleaned up version). For example, "the ref can't see, the ref can't see!"

Date: September 18, 2003 05:52PM

yeah i think that parents should be able to make the decision about the dangers of bringing their kid to a hockey game. have them sign a waiver too if you want. i do not think that the rink should make this decision. also, this should have been decided before season tickets for the townsfolk were sold -

[hypothetical]

if my fiancee and i had a child and had season tickets i doubt we could find a sitter...would this prevent us from getting tickets? maybe? would this prevent us from using tickets if the policy was made after ticket purchase?...maybe

Posted by: Keith K '93 (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 18, 2003 07:19PM

Hey, if folks can manage to smuggle immense fish into the arena then why not children too? Just wear loose clothing.... :-D

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: September 18, 2003 08:14PM

Just a pun on "explicit language". Sorry to disappoint.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: September 19, 2003 12:03AM

After the Bâbylon 5 post, this is really disappointing worry

JH

Posted by: Cris (---.rackercenters.org)
Date: September 19, 2003 08:52AM

So far in my attempt to understand this new rule I have been given 3 possible explanations.

1. Too many people have been in the rink i.e. possible fire code violations, so every body needs a ticket
2. Safety - "pucks do fly around in the rink"
3. Parental abuse - "parents have 2 seats and bring in 4 kids"

No one seems to know the background of the new rule or how it will be implemented. The people who may have the information have not returned my calls.

My boys have been going to the games since they were babies and love being there - in fact, every time we go into a parking garage my 3 year old asks, "is it hockey game time?"

Posted by: paulspen (128.253.145.---)
Date: September 19, 2003 12:39PM

WIFE: You missed the damn street. Turn around.

ME: I missed it? You have the freakin map.

WIFE: I told you it was coming, you were too busy listening to the game.

5-YR. OLD DAUGHTER: It's all your fault, it's all your fault, it's all your fault...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login