Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell @ Clarkson, 2/23

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell @ Clarkson, 2/23
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2024 11:27AM

RichH
Dafatone
RichH
Holy crap, this freaking thread.

Trotsky
Dafatone
Has Clarkson always done that stupid bell sound effect on hits?

It's stupid.
Not that I remember. It is idiotic.

Just for 67 years or so. [potsdamgreeks.blogspot.com]

(edit: I see JTW entered the room earlier to already lay this down)

Trotsky
These guys are pretty bad homers. I am used to Clarkson having much better announcers.

Yes, the color kid was a yippie green nobody, but the PBP was none other than Bob Ahlfeld, voice of Clarkson since 1996. One of the more respected announcers in the league for two decades. [www.nyhockeyonline.com]

The fact that even Trotsky lost a handle on the historical tidbits here is a little staggering. demented

The bell isn't new. Playing the bell sound effect during play for hits, though? I don't remember that.

I started going there in the early nineties. Trust me when I say that they ring it mostly for big hits, but also for moments in games where Clarkson also happens to show “grit” or whatever. Maybe we’ve only noticed it because the crowds aren’t as loud recently. Maybe they didn’t ring it as much. Maybe Clarkson has just sucked more.

Also, this is the second time you’ve called it a “sound effect.” It’s an actual bell rung by students/alumni. Cheel isn’t piping in any sound effects. Same with the way-too-over-the-top goal whistle: an actual steam whistle a member of the band has typically “played.”

Do they still have an electric bass player with an amp? (Also not "piped in", but amplified at least.)

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-211.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2024 11:50AM

RichH
Dafatone
RichH

Trotsky
Dafatone

It's stupid.

Trotsky
These guys are pretty bad homers. I am used to Clarkson having much better announcers.

Yes, the color kid was a yippie green nobody, but the PBP was none other than Bob Ahlfeld, voice of Clarkson since 1996. One of the more respected announcers in the league for two decades. [www.nyhockeyonline.com]

The fact that even Trotsky lost a handle on the historical tidbits here is a little staggering. demented

The bell isn't new. Playing the bell sound effect during play for hits, though? I don't remember that.

I started going there in the early nineties. Trust me when I say that they ring it mostly for big hits, but also for moments in games where Clarkson also happens to show “grit” or whatever. Maybe we’ve only noticed it because the crowds aren’t as loud recently. Maybe they didn’t ring it as much. Maybe Clarkson has just sucked more.

Also, this is the second time you’ve called it a “sound effect.” It’s an actual bell rung by students/alumni. Cheel isn’t piping in any sound effects. Same with the way-too-over-the-top goal whistle: an actual steam whistle a member of the band has typically “played.”

Huh, good to know. Maybe it stands out more cause the lack of crowd, yeah.

And it really sounded like a piped in effect to me. I know there's an infamous actual bell, but it sounded faker to me than usual. Then again, I guess I don't usually notice it, so I'm not sure what "usual" is.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 24, 2024 02:30PM

Weder
They ring it for big hits in women’s games, too. Which is sort of interesting because those could in theory wind up being penalties.
I was thinking that same thing during our game. What if there's a borderline hit on our guy and it's in review? That stupid bell ring might just be the psychological tip to the side of it being excessive.

The bell has been there as long as I can remember, like the goddamn train whistle, but I don't remember it punctuating hits. I remember it being disconnected from any particular action, though, so maybe it was sometimes hits, but behind the play and out of frame.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2024 02:32PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 24, 2024 02:31PM

jtwcornell91
RichH
Dafatone
RichH

Trotsky
Dafatone

It's stupid.

Trotsky

Do they still have an electric bass player with an amp? (Also not "piped in", but amplified at least.)

The only electric bass I remember was at RPI during their national title run. It was awesome.

Posted by: Give My Regards (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 24, 2024 05:00PM

Trotsky
jtwcornell91

The only electric bass I remember was at RPI during their national title run. It was awesome.

Dunno if they still do, but Clarkson definitely had an electric bass player for a few years, maybe several. The guy travelled, too.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2024 06:23PM

Trotsky
Weder
They ring it for big hits in women’s games, too. Which is sort of interesting because those could in theory wind up being penalties.
I was thinking that same thing during our game. What if there's a borderline hit on our guy and it's in review? That stupid bell ring might just be the psychological tip to the side of it being excessive.

The bell has been there as long as I can remember, like the goddamn train whistle, but I don't remember it punctuating hits. I remember it being disconnected from any particular action, though, so maybe it was sometimes hits, but behind the play and out of frame.

I wrote in 1997

I never saw the Bell in its heyday, but it would have been more impressive if they hadn't rung it at seemingly random times ("Yay, we completed a pass at the red line!";).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: February 26, 2024 07:29PM

The Clarkson overtime goal. A Clarkson takeaway in our end, and that's all she wrote.

[billhoward.smugmug.com]

Posted by: upprdeck (38.77.26.---)
Date: February 27, 2024 10:56AM

in the coaches notes. something about a handpass on the clarkson goal they tied it up?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-235-214.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 11:05AM

upprdeck
in the coaches notes. something about a handpass on the clarkson goal they tied it up?

They reviewed it for a hand pass. The puck left the face-off circle and then got knocked back in. Clarkson's center was down on his hands and knees, and the puck appeared to hit either his stick or his closed hand around his stick and then squirt back to the d-man. Held up on review.

Date: February 27, 2024 11:22AM

coach said they reviewed for goalie interference not a hand pass. I dont think hockey looks at everything in a review like football does.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-206-173.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 01:10PM

upprdeck
coach said they reviewed for goalie interference not a hand pass. I dont think hockey looks at everything in a review like football does.
[youtu.be]

Slow down this video to .25 speed and watch the tying Clarkson goal. Can someone explain how this isn’t a hand pass? The Clarkson player pushes the puck backwards to a teammate with his hand.

I guess the coaches must have only realized it was a hand pass when watching the play the following day. Otherwise, seems like the challenge likely would have succeeded.

So, losing in OT on the road vs Clarkson instead of winning is worth how much RPI? Hopefully the season doesn’t come down to this blown call/missed challenge.

Date: February 27, 2024 01:15PM

BearLover
upprdeck
[youtu.be]

Slow down this video to .25 speed and watch the tying Clarkson goal. Can someone explain how this isn’t a hand pass? The Clarkson player pushes the puck backwards to a teammate with his hand.

I guess the coaches must have only realized it was a hand pass when watching the play the following day. Otherwise, seems like the challenge likely would have succeeded.

So, losing in OT on the road vs Clarkson instead of winning is worth how much RPI? Hopefully the season doesn’t come down to this blown call/missed challenge.
Watching it in real time, it looks like the puck just hits the player’s stick rather than his hand. But in slow-mo, clearly looks like the hand. Easy to see how this was missed in real time. It is possible it hit the player’s stick, but still looks like a hand motion to me, all things considered.

Date: February 27, 2024 01:20PM

it all matters but if we had won the game in Reg we would still be in 16th though closer to 15. the same for Sat nights game.

Win both nights though we would be in 11th

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2024 01:21PM

upprdeck
it all matters but if we had won the game in Reg we would still be in 16th though closer to 15. the same for Sat nights game.

Funny to think the Clarkson game didn't have much impact... because the SLU tie was so bad it doesn't matter.

Date: February 27, 2024 01:28PM

upprdeck

The goal is to get an at-large bid by the end of the season. Thus, the difference in RPI for winning/losing is what matters, not whether we are 15 or 16 in a particular weekend before the end of the season. For example, at this point in the season it is much better to be 16th and a minuscule amount behind 12th than it is to be 15th with a huge gap before 14th. So the important question here is how much RPI we lost.

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 01:54PM

Sometimes, I think that in an effort to be more objective, we’ve replaced sound judgement with pernicious metrics. Case in point, we’ve replaced “smoke-filled” rooms with unrepresentative primaries, and look what we got, but I digress.

Back to important stuff. Some teams start slowly and peak at the right time, others peak too early. Tournament inclusion and seedings should take account of this. Human judgement, that is the selection committee, could ameliorate this to some degree. If two teams end up with similar metrics, give the edge to the team that finished stronger.

Here’s a thought. Calculate a metric at season’s end for each team’s entire season and also for its final half, then average the two. This would account for the team’s entire body of work, but also acknowledge its improvement or decline.

Posted by: fastforward (---.sub-174-206-169.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 02:05PM

I’m quite pleased with this team overall and thankful of the bye weekend before the home ice playoff weekend, especially since the coach stated that guys are still sick.
Excited to see how this young team grows.
We were discussing this morning on who we think is the most understated yet effective player -too many come to mind. Haven’t settled that discussion as of yet

Date: February 27, 2024 02:08PM

Win the next 4 home games and then see what is what.. There is a good chance by then that winning the first night in Lake Placid is enough. How ever Quin losing anyplace along the way adds another dynamic as does the B10/HE/or ND not winning the NCHC. we could be up to 12th and still not get in..

Posted by: adamw (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: February 27, 2024 03:47PM

BearLover
upprdeck
[youtu.be]

OT loss on the road is

1.2 * 0.33333 = 0.400

OT tie on the road is

1.2 * 0.5 = 0.600

Date: February 27, 2024 04:06PM

adamw
BearLover
upprdeck
[youtu.be]

OT loss on the road is

1.2 * 0.33333 = 0.400

OT tie on the road is

1.2 * 0.5 = 0.600

And, as I've blathered about before (and could be wrong), the opponent quality doesn't matter if you flip it unless the opponent is a team good enough to grant a quality win bonus (I think).

So OT loss @clarkson and OT tie @slu is the same as OT tie @clarkson and OT loss @slu.

Posted by: BearLover (---.sub-174-204-138.myvzw.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 05:18PM

Dafatone
adamw
BearLover
upprdeck
[youtu.be]

OT loss on the road is

1.2 * 0.33333 = 0.400

OT tie on the road is

1.2 * 0.5 = 0.600

And, as I've blathered about before (and could be wrong), the opponent quality doesn't matter if you flip it unless the opponent is a team good enough to grant a quality win bonus (I think).

So OT loss @clarkson and OT tie @slu is the same as OT tie @clarkson and OT loss @slu.
Sorry, yeah—the question I’m asking is how much higher our RPI would be if we changed an OT loss to a regulation win. I only mentioned Clarkson because the clear outcome of an effective hand pass challenge would have made this hypothetical a reality.

Date: February 27, 2024 05:38PM

BearLover
Sorry, yeah—the question I’m asking is how much higher our RPI would be if we changed an OT loss to a regulation win. I only mentioned Clarkson because the clear outcome of an effective hand pass challenge would have made this hypothetical a reality.

1.200 for straight win - 0.400 for the OT loss ... but then obviously divide by all the games played so far - and that a team's own win% is only 21% of the overall RPI - and it's obviously a tiny amt. of points. But if you want to know exactly - go to CHN's Pairwise, click on "Customize" tab, and change Cornell to a win, and see the difference

[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Date: February 27, 2024 05:39PM

adamw
BearLover

1.200 for straight win - 0.400 for the OT loss ... but then obviously divide by all the games played so far - and that a team's own win% is only 21% of the overall RPI - and it's obviously a tiny amt. of points. But if you want to know exactly - go to CHN's Pairwise, click on "Customize" tab, and change Cornell to a win, and see the difference

and the answer is .0056 -- which is quite a bit

Posted by: RichH (104.28.124.---)
Date: February 27, 2024 06:23PM

adamw
BearLover

A most dangerous tool for the “if only” crowd here. It’s a gateway to insanity, I tell you!! ;-)

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2024 07:40PM

adamw
adamw
BearLover

Well, let’s hope Cornell doesn’t miss the NCAAs by .0056 RPI or less…

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 07:50PM

RichH
adamw
BearLover

A most dangerous tool for the “if only” crowd here. It’s a gateway to insanity, I tell you!! ;-)

Many of us don't need another door.

Date: February 27, 2024 07:51PM

BearLover
adamw
adamw
BearLover

I'm not sure it was actually a hand pass. The puck hit the center in the hand (I think) but he didn't really push or throw the puck. Would that count?

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 27, 2024 08:44PM

Dafatone
BearLover
adamw
adamw
BearLover

I'm not sure it was actually a hand pass. The puck hit the center in the hand (I think) but he didn't really push or throw the puck. Would that count?
I thought that at .25 speed it looked like he pushed the puck with his hand, but in real time it didn’t. I assume the ruling hinges on whether he pushed the puck or not, but I’m not certain.

Date: February 27, 2024 09:31PM

fastforward
We were discussing this morning on who we think is the most understated yet effective player -too many come to mind. Haven’t settled that discussion as of yet

My vote right now would be for Devlin or Catalano.

Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 27, 2024 09:41PM

Trotsky
fastforward

they certainly get more attention than those two, but I think that kempf and Penney aren’t getting the recognition that they deserve.

Posted by: fastforward (---.sub-174-206-169.myvzw.com)
Date: February 28, 2024 01:10PM

Trotsky
fastforward

I agree and like when they’re on the line with Kraft - he’s another one that always puts the pedal to the metal. Glad O’Brien is getting time too. Always feel bad for the goalies that don’t get in much but understand why.

Posted by: osorojo (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: February 28, 2024 06:16PM

It seems that Cornell plays poorly in critical games against teams with mediocre (or worse) records - but plays well against higher-ranked teams. The only reason I can think of to create such an anomaly would be poor preparation and/or poor focus. I miss the old "go-for-the-throat" days of Harkness hockey. For example: In the late 60's I was sitting in bleachers just a few feet directly above the walkway to the locker room at Colgate rink. It was the end of the second period, and Cornell was Clobbering Colgate.The last to pass under my seat on the way to the locker rooms to the locker rooms were Ned Harkness and the Colgate coach.I clearly heard the Colgate coach say "Ease up a bit" - or words to that effect - and just as clearly heard Harkness respond "Go F*** yourself!" Ned was a great communicator.

Date: February 28, 2024 06:44PM

There goes the neighborhood

Posted by: billhoward (155.133.4.---)
Date: February 28, 2024 07:12PM

There were no humanitarian awards for coaches or players back then.

If I was a visiting coach and Harkness set -- and it couldn't be unset -- the heat to 85 degrees in the visitor locker room, I'd bring a fire axe the second year to improve ventilation, and for year three I'd bring a couple of fans the fire department uses to clear smoke. P.S, You ever seen a concrete-wall saw with a diamond-tip 14" blade? Works right quick.

Date: February 28, 2024 07:48PM

I was hoping for a cogent explanation (or excuse) for current Cornell Men's hockey pitiful record against opponents ranked 20th best - or worse! I only mentioned past Cornell Ice Hockey glory because I still cherish memories of the Lou Mobbs and Paul Patton and Ned Harkness days.

Date: February 28, 2024 08:49PM

osorojo
I was hoping for a cogent explanation (or excuse) for current Cornell Men's hockey pitiful record against opponents ranked 20th best - or worse! I only mentioned past Cornell Ice Hockey glory because I still cherish memories of the Lou Mobbs and Paul Patton and Ned Harkness days.

Of course, I remember Paul Patton and Ned Harkness, but Lou Mobbs was only a vague memory, so I searched the Cornell website and came across this article from the January/February 1993 Alumni News.

Date: February 28, 2024 08:57PM

By my count, we are 4-1-2 against currently ranked teams.

That leaves us at 12-4-4 against currently unranked teams.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2024 10:46AM by Dafatone.

Posted by: Swampy (45.144.115.---)
Date: February 29, 2024 10:32AM

George64
osorojo

Of course, I remember Paul Patton and Ned Harkness, but Lou Mobbs was only a vague memory, so I searched the Cornell website and came across this article from the January/February 1993 Alumni News.

George, check your link. It seems broken and, consequently, takes us nowhere.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.85.---)
Date: February 29, 2024 10:37AM

Swampy
George64
osorojo

It works for me (on my phone). It takes me to an issue I thought I had already downloaded and was looking for a few months ago, but couldn’t find. A friend of mine is on the cover!

Thanks!

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 29, 2024 11:22AM

Swampy
George64
osorojo

It works, but as a pdf download not a browser tab.

Posted by: marty (161.11.160.---)
Date: February 29, 2024 12:38PM

Swampy
George64
osorojo

My PC automatically blocked it but with an option to download it anyway.

Posted by: ACM (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 01, 2024 08:07AM

George64
osorojo

I'm the brown smudge behind the penalty box in the photograph on page 24.

Date: March 01, 2024 12:58PM

ACM
George64
osorojo

I'm the brown smudge behind the penalty box in the photograph on page 24.

Oh, that brown smudge!

Date: March 01, 2024 06:32PM

Lou didn't get much recognition, but he ran a tight ship at Lynah. His employee, Jimmie, got more recognition at the end of the first and second periods. Fond memories of the old days of C.U. Men's D 1 Varsity Ice Hockey and its accomplishments - and hope you and I can get to see the Big Red once again lead U.S. College Hockey!

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login