Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell 3 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)

Posted by Trotsky 
Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cornell vs Quinnipiac, 1/20
Posted by: Trotsky (12.151.182.---)
Date: January 23, 2024 03:55PM

ugarte
Trotsky
dbilmes
My nitpick about Vanini is that he uses the word "great" way too many times, making it lose its impact.
I had not noticed, but I will now. :-(
your endless capacity to be made angry by nothing is, in a way, inspiring.

j/k?

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 23, 2024 05:03PM

Trotsky
I love him. I will grant someone needs to take him aside and explain nobody gives a shit about the Binghamton Rangers.

The Binghamton Rangers ceased to exist after 1997. When Grady was there, they were the Binghamton Senators. Now they’re gone, too.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2024 05:49PM

George64
Trotsky
I love him. I will grant someone needs to take him aside and explain nobody gives a shit about the Binghamton Rangers.

The Binghamton Rangers ceased to exist after 1997. When Grady was there, they were the Binghamton Senators. Now they’re gone, too.
Sorry.

Someone needs to take him aside and explain nobody gives a shit about the Binghamton Senators.

Re: Cornell 3 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)
Posted by: chimpfood (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 23, 2024 05:54PM

Is Grady the espn plus guy and Jason the radio guy?

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 23, 2024 06:13PM

Trotsky
George64
Trotsky

Sorry.

Someone needs to take him aside and explain nobody gives a shit about the Binghamton Senators.

I think we just did, but I also appreciate Grady. We are fortunate to have both a radio and video pbp announcer.

Posted by: BearLover (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 23, 2024 06:19PM

marty
Trotsky
George64
Trotsky

Sorry.

I think we just did, but I also appreciate Grady. We are fortunate to have both a radio and video pbp announcer.
Does Grady use this forum?

Posted by: RichH (104.28.76.---)
Date: January 23, 2024 08:25PM

BearLover
marty
Trotsky
George64
Trotsky

Sorry.

Does Grady use this forum?

He has in the past, yes.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2024 10:18PM

Trotsky
George64
Trotsky

Sorry.

I still remember the Broome Dusters.

Posted by: abmarks (---.hsd1.vt.comcast.net)
Date: January 24, 2024 04:40AM

Trotsky
scoop85
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
arugula
Grady wouldn’t have mentioned it. That would require paying attention. Jason perhaps. Not Grady.

Grady is an excellent announcer. Your comment was bad and you should feel bad.
Unfortunately, Grady spends too many words on random tangents and not enough on the game itself. He needs to track the action better.

I think he is capable of being a very good announcer, but at the moment, he simply doesn’t pay enough attention to the game or keep up with the action. The Binghamton Rangers stuff is the worst of all, but there are many other tangents he goes on during the game which have little or nothing to do with the actual hockey being played. There needs to be a rule that he can only bring up these topics during a play stoppage and he must commentate on the action while play is underway. It’s been pretty bad for several years now. I hope he can improve because he seems like a capable announcer and good guy.

He and Vannini have gotten a bit too chatty while the action is going on. He seems to stay better on task doing the women’s games. The young lady from IC who’s doing the color on the women’s games has been quite good for a newbie.

Grady has deliberately moved towards being more chatty. In his stint as the Cornell radio guy he was the second-best PBP man I have ever heard (Dean "Scooter" Vrooman) at any level. I assume he went to the more chatty persona to appeal to the derpier AHL audience.

Vanini is remarkable. His eyesight reminds me of Johnny Peirson on the Bruins' broadcasts. he sees stuff in realtime I have a hard time seeing on replay when I'm looking for it.

Vanini also misses a ton of stuff that's quite obvious from the video.

Posted by: marty (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 24, 2024 05:17AM

abmarks
Trotsky
scoop85
BearLover
Trotsky
BearLover
Trotsky
arugula
Grady wouldn’t have mentioned it. That would require paying attention. Jason perhaps. Not Grady.

Grady is an excellent announcer. Your comment was bad and you should feel bad.
Unfortunately, Grady spends too many words on random tangents and not enough on the game itself. He needs to track the action better.

I think he is capable of being a very good announcer, but at the moment, he simply doesn’t pay enough attention to the game or keep up with the action. The Binghamton Rangers stuff is the worst of all, but there are many other tangents he goes on during the game which have little or nothing to do with the actual hockey being played. There needs to be a rule that he can only bring up these topics during a play stoppage and he must commentate on the action while play is underway. It’s been pretty bad for several years now. I hope he can improve because he seems like a capable announcer and good guy.

He and Vannini have gotten a bit too chatty while the action is going on. He seems to stay better on task doing the women’s games. The young lady from IC who’s doing the color on the women’s games has been quite good for a newbie.

Grady has deliberately moved towards being more chatty. In his stint as the Cornell radio guy he was the second-best PBP man I have ever heard (Dean "Scooter" Vrooman) at any level. I assume he went to the more chatty persona to appeal to the derpier AHL audience.

Vanini is remarkable. His eyesight reminds me of Johnny Peirson on the Bruins' broadcasts. he sees stuff in realtime I have a hard time seeing on replay when I'm looking for it.

Vanini also misses a ton of stuff that's quite obvious from the video.

As someone who can't stand constant blabbermouth sports speak, I'm fine with Tim only talking about the plays he thinks are interesting. Everyone misses a whole lot in hockey which is part of the joy of the game.

When I get home from a live game I often look at particular segments to see what I've missed. And as much as I hate 5 minute referee reviews of plays that depend on camera angles and slomo, I do like to hit pause and watch in slow motion if I am curious about a play.

We are blessed to have two good announcers and two great color guys.

Posted by: redice (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 24, 2024 10:06AM

marty

As someone who can't stand constant blabbermouth sports speak, I'm fine with Tim only talking about the plays he thinks are interesting.

Agreed!! I've hit the mute button to silence these people, especially in the NFL....It makes me crazy!!

Date: January 24, 2024 10:52AM

redice
marty

As someone who can't stand constant blabbermouth sports speak, I'm fine with Tim only talking about the plays he thinks are interesting.

Agreed!! I've hit the mute button to silence these people, especially in the NFL....It makes me crazy!!

Agreed!!! Top on my NFL mute list is Tony Romo. Arguably, he knows a lot, but I don’t care. I just want to enjoy the game. Fans at stadium survive without the endless analysis. Also, too many graphics!

Date: January 24, 2024 11:28AM

redice
marty

Every NFL playoffs, I last 5 plays and flip it off having remembered why I never watch.

Date: January 24, 2024 11:29AM

marty
We are blessed to have two good announcers and two great color guys.

"So say we all."

Date: January 24, 2024 01:45PM

dbilmes
My nitpick about Vanini is that he uses the word "great" way too many times, making it lose its impact.

I’ll allow it, for no other reason than it’s something different than the near constant use in sports broadcasting of the word “unbelievable” for anything that is deemed mildly positive
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2024 01:48PM by RichH.

Re: Cornell 3 Quinnipiac 2 (ot)
Posted by: abmarks (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 24, 2024 06:13PM

VIEWfromK
... The Big Red finally wore them down around the midway point of the third. Penney and Devlin both had some crushing hits. There hadn’t been much physicality early on so it was nice to get that part of their game going in time to turn the tide. That opened up the ice for them to find their offensive game.

Just read some Schafer quotes in chn roundup [www.collegehockeynews.com]

"We started getting going and back to playing physical again, which I thought kinda deteriorated for us. And that went in ebbs and flows," Schafer said. "If you don't play physical against them and bump them — they're not big hits, but you better make sure you make contact — and I thought that turned the game a little bit

"Nine freshman lineup tonight. When you look around as a coach and see that many young guys out there against a good hockey team, it just makes you wonder sometimes, like, man, we could be in trouble here. But it was a team effort."

Posted by: ER (---.mycingular.net)
Date: January 25, 2024 12:48PM

They’re good but just as much homers as anyone else.

Date: January 25, 2024 09:29PM

ER

Have you ever even listened to a Brown game?

Date: January 25, 2024 10:01PM

RichH
ER

Have you ever even listened to a Brown game?
Or any Big Ten broadcast.

Jason & Grady are paragons of objectivity by comparison.

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 26, 2024 03:16PM

ER
imo "homer" doesn't mean that you are more excited when the home team scores. it means that you lose objectivity around penalty calls and the relative abilities or moral worth of the teams. in that sense, i think grady and tim are not particularly vocal homers even if they obviously want cornell to do well and their calls reflect that mood.

Posted by: Dafatone (---.sub-174-215-240.myvzw.com)
Date: January 26, 2024 03:18PM

ugarte
ER
imo "homer" doesn't mean that you are more excited when the home team scores. it means that you lose objectivity around penalty calls and the relative abilities or moral worth of the teams. in that sense, i think grady and tim are not particularly vocal homers even if they obviously want cornell to do well and their calls reflect that mood.

I'd also say that they do a good job keeping some energy when the other team scores. There are a few broadcasters for other teams that all but drop to a whisper on a Cornell goal.

Date: February 12, 2024 05:40PM

Just came across this very old interview with Mike commenting on Pecknold.

Date: February 12, 2024 06:10PM

George64
People on this forum rooted for Quinnipiac to win the national title last season (something Cornell hasn’t done in 53 years). *shrug*

Posted by: RichH (104.28.124.---)
Date: February 12, 2024 07:26PM

BearLover
George64
People on this forum rooted for Quinnipiac to win the national title last season (something Cornell hasn’t done in 53 years). *shrug*

Where? Show me. Here’s the thread, it’s mainly people making fun of you for continuing to bitterly assert this.

[elf.elynah.com]

I hated Q winning it because they are an antithesis to what I want out of the league member, and Rand’s a fucking prick.

Date: February 12, 2024 07:39PM

RichH
BearLover
George64

Where? Show me. Here’s the thread, it’s mainly people making fun of you for continuing to bitterly assert this.

[elf.elynah.com]

I hated Q winning it because they are an antithesis to what I want out of the league member, and Rand’s a fucking prick.
I don’t know about that thread, but Trotsky certainly overtly rooted for Q, and so did others. Trotsky can answer for himself here. (He justified it with the theory that it would force Schafer to try to win even harder, lol.) After a quick skim I don’t see anybody rooting for or against Q in that thread one way or the other. Not sure why you’re point me to this thread.

Posted by: RichH (104.28.124.---)
Date: February 12, 2024 08:02PM

BearLover
RichH
BearLover
George64

[elf.elynah.com]

I don’t know about that thread, but Trotsky certainly overtly rooted for Q, and so did others. Trotsky can answer for himself here. (He justified it with the theory that it would force Schafer to try to win even harder, lol.) After a quick skim I don’t see anybody rooting for or against Q in that thread one way or the other. Not sure why you’re point me to this thread.

Because my memory barely lasts three weeks these days, I decided to go back in this forum to see how people “rooted” for that outcome. If it were true, celebrations or at least “atta boys” would have been apparent in that thread more than any other. Like you, I didn’t see any. You seem to be still fighting a long-dead fight.

The main agenda Trotsky has here is to lob chaos bombs to ruffle the easily ruffled. I’m never surprised when you’re a target.

Date: February 12, 2024 08:07PM

BearLover
He justified it with the theory that it would force Schafer to try to win even harder, lol.

No. I always root for the ECAC, because I like the league, and I want it to be strong and attract more talent to help raise our SoS.

Date: February 12, 2024 08:32PM

RichH
BearLover
RichH
BearLover
George64

[elf.elynah.com]

Because my memory barely lasts three weeks these days, I decided to go back in this forum to see how people “rooted” for that outcome. If it were true, celebrations or at least “atta boys” would have been apparent in that thread more than any other. Like you, I didn’t see any. You seem to be still fighting a long-dead fight.

The main agenda Trotsky has here is to lob chaos bombs to ruffle the easily ruffled. I’m never surprised when you’re a target.
Actually, I’m pretty he just wants to be loud and outrageous. I highly doubt he is trying to provoke anybody. The only person who seems ruffled here is you.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2024 08:43PM

Trotsky
BearLover
He justified it with the theory that it would force Schafer to try to win even harder, lol.

No. I always root for the ECAC, because I like the league, and I want it to be strong and attract more talent to help raise our SoS.
I do, too.

And, anyone who gets upset over who I, or anyone else here, roots for needs to get a life. Desperately.

Date: February 12, 2024 08:47PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
BearLover

I do, too.

And, anyone who gets upset over who I, or anyone else here, roots for needs to get a life. Desperately.
Go on a Duke basketball forum, tell them you root for UNC, and see how that goes for you. *shrug*

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2024 09:08PM

BearLover
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
BearLover

I do, too.

Go on a Duke basketball forum, tell them you root for UNC, and see how that goes for you. *shrug*
If your aspiration is to behave like Duke fanboys on their forum, well, you're succeeding wildly..

Date: February 12, 2024 09:11PM

BearLover
Actually, I’m pretty he just wants to be loud and outrageous. I highly doubt he is trying to provoke anybody.

I'm just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot and, the good Lord willing, things will work out.

Posted by: RichH (---.datapacket.com)
Date: February 13, 2024 12:44AM

BearLover
Actually, I’m pretty he just wants to be loud and outrageous. I highly doubt he is trying to provoke anybody. The only person who seems ruffled here is you.

Ahhhh, thanks for that laugh - that was good forum comedy gold right there, baby.

Date: February 13, 2024 01:36AM

RichH
BearLover

Ahhhh, thanks for that laugh - that was good forum comedy gold right there, baby.
Damn, still ruffled I see…

Posted by: ugarte (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2024 12:00PM

BearLover
RichH
BearLover

Damn, still ruffled I see…
absolutely the dumbest form of argumentation. please stop. i have exclusive rights on this forum to develop and deploy insulting psychoanalysis of you lot of screeching gibbons.

Date: February 13, 2024 12:14PM

Trotsky
BearLover
Actually, I’m pretty he just wants to be loud and outrageous. I highly doubt he is trying to provoke anybody.

I'm just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub. I just want to give it my best shot and, the good Lord willing, things will work out.

The rose goes in the front, big guy.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (216.49.132.---)
Date: February 13, 2024 05:22PM

Trotsky
BearLover

I just figure I'll keep going to the corners and playing with a lot of jam, and things will go my way.

Date: February 13, 2024 06:06PM

Scersk '97
Trotsky
BearLover

I just figure I'll keep going to the corners and playing with a lot of jam, and things will go my way.
Trust the process.

Date: February 13, 2024 07:55PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
Trotsky
BearLover

Trust the process.

It's the system.

Page: Previous1 2 
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login